ADVERTISEMENT

UK still #4 in latest ESPN poll

It doesn't, I agree. But if the media is going to slurp the other big boys..

I also stand by the fact that actually BEING preseason #1, even as opposed to #4, has some benefits. If Houston and Gonzaga are indeed ahead of us come week1, they will be tough to pass up, as neither will lose many games in conference play. Now, when every team will likely have 3+ losses, it's not a big deal. But still, I'd rather be as high as possible come start of the season.
I appreciate your opinion.

I just don't think any of it matters. Not the pre-season ranking. Not the seeding.

For years, Cal tried brainwashing us into thinking he was getting screwed with the seeding. Then UK made it through two murderers rows in 2011 and 2014 to get to the Final Four.

Then, in 2018, 2019, and 2022, we ran into the likes of Kansas State, Auburn, and St. Peter's. How many NBA players were on those combined rosters? Can you think of even one?

UK, meanwhile, had a combined assortment of SGA, Keldon Johnson, Herro, PJ, Oscar, Ty Ty, Knox, Diallo, Richards, Grady etc. on those teams, and still managed to choke.

So I don't even think seeding matters. The rankings are a good indicator that you're beating teams down in the regular season, but none of it matters when you're staring at a Kansas State or a St. Peter's or even a West Virginia with the likes of SGA, John Wall, and the NPOY Oscar T, and still manage to get sent home packing.

The only thing that matters is Cal getting the freaking job done for once. He's been terrible lately when it matters most, and that needs to change this season. If he beats a bunch of teams down in the regular season, I'm all for it; but ultimately I want a title, and Cal needs to get it done whether he's a 1 seed or a 4 seed.

I just don't think any of it matters. Not the pre-season ranking. Not the seeding.

For years, Cal tried brainwashing us into thinking he was getting screwed with the seeding. Then UK made it through two murderers rows in 2011 and 2014 to get to the Final Four.

Then, in 2018, 2019, and 2022, we ran into the likes of Kansas State, Auburn, and St. Peter's. How many NBA players were on those combined rosters? Can you think of even one?

UK, meanwhile, had a combined assortment of SGA, Keldon Johnson, Herro, PJ, Oscar, Ty Ty, Knox, Diallo, Richards, Grady etc. on those teams, and still managed to choke.

So I don't even think seeding matters. The rankings are a good indicator that you're beating teams down in the regular season, but none of it matters when you're staring at a Kansas State or a St. Peter's or even a West Virginia with the likes of SGA, John Wall, and the NPOY Oscar T, and still manage to get sent home packing.

The only thing that matters is Cal getting the freaking job done for once. He's been terrible lately when it matters most, and that needs to change this season. If he beats a bunch of teams down in the regular season, I'm all for it; but ultimately I want a title, and Cal needs to get it done whether he's a 1 seed or a 4 seed.

Best teams don't always win, that's all you can really say. We might LIKE the 2014 team better than most, but they were not a better collection of talent than 2010, 2015 or 2017.. they just happened to pull some crazy wins out of their asses (well Aaron, specifically).

I think the rankings and seeding are likely splitting hairs. And while yes, a 1-seed doesn't guarentee you anything.. it DOES make it easier to get to an Elite8 or a Final4 than say being a 3-seed. Even if only by a little bit.

I think a reasonable ranking would be

UNC
Houston
UK
Gonzaga
Arkansas
Creighton
Duke
Baylor
Kansas
UCLA

I don’t necessarily believe UNC is the best team in the country but the National Runner Up returning essentially its entire team is warranted of the number 1 preseason ranking

Man, feels like if we just didn't get upset in the first round, and instead just made it to the 2nd weekend.. no one would think twice about giving this roster the preseason #1. But it's understandable.
Yep, I agree. We return the consensus National Player of the Year in Oscar, a Cousy Award Finalist in PG Wheeler, not to mention returning 2 significant contributors and tremendous athletes in Toppin and Collins, adding a 47% three-pt shooter in Fredrick, a scoring machine transfer in Reeves, and two top 10 freshmen in Wallace and Livingston.

Having said this, I'd rather fly under the radar for a bit. Once we beat Mich St and Gonzaga, there will be no anonymity remaining. If we were a very young team, I'd be worried the early high ranking would go to their heads, but with this team I don't think that will be a big problem. Calipari will definitely need these guys to ignore the clutter and not get caught up reading their headlines. I think this is the deepest team we've had since 2015 and perhaps the best team in the nation this season. I guess we'll see.

I’ll be interested to see if unc ends up more like ucla after their run. They got hot. Made some shots. But 85% of the year they were pedestrian. Also they were helped out by getting St. Peter’s and a familiar duke team on their way to the championship.
I agree somewhat. They were much better in Xmarch than rest of the season. Just got hot at the right time.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck
Only seven teams started the year as number one and finished with the championship, and half of those were UCLA. It hasn't been done for thirty years so it's easy to see that being ranked first preseason means very little. preseason to title

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I’ll be interested to see if unc ends up more like ucla after their run. They got hot. Made some shots. But 85% of the year they were pedestrian. Also they were helped out by getting St. Peter’s and a familiar duke team on their way to the championship.
Right. Very similar to UCLA, they are ranking UNC based off of that run and you see where UCLA ended up.

Reactions: BlueThunderstruck

Preach

Best teams don't always win, that's all you can really say. We might LIKE the 2014 team better than most, but they were not a better collection of talent than 2010, 2015 or 2017.. they just happened to pull some crazy wins out of their asses (well Aaron, specifically).

I think the rankings and seeding are likely splitting hairs. And while yes, a 1-seed doesn't guarentee you anything.. it DOES make it easier to get to an Elite8 or a Final4 than say being a 3-seed. Even if only by a little bit.

While it’s true the best teams don’t always win, allow me to use a Cal-ism on you:

“you don’t have to make them all, you just can’t miss them all.”

Cal has missed them all since 2015. He has a couple more years to get it done, but make no mistake, he does need to get it done. Best team or not.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Definitely surprised to see Zags in Top 3. Brand new PG who played 17mpg last year with a less than 2to1 TOR. Didn't do anything exceptional, kind of surprising.

Guess we will see what happens in Spokane.
I think they’re gonna be in big trouble in that game. They struggle against teams that are athletic, physical and can really defend. This year’s Kentucky team are all three of those things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT