ADVERTISEMENT

UK or Coach Cal not mentioned once...

I think Coach Cal will continue to bring in the best players no matter what rule the NBA comes up with. The Top 5 or so will probably go straight to the league but Cal will be a player for the talent remaining.

As Billy D said in the video something changed about 20 years ago. We will never go back to how things were back then and you have to adjust to what ever the pros decide. Money drives the train and as long as the money flows things will happen. You can't clean up the sport when shoes companies throw money around like they have been doing and sports agents start talking to kids in high school. Impossible and I do not see it changing.

Sawnee Cat, very good comments and I agree with you. If anything, Cal may do even better with those who are left once the very elite players go to the NBA out of HS. He still has the reputation for getting players to the League better than anyone else so the next tier may be thinking Cal and UK is their very best option and he will still get the lion's share of the best going to college. We fans will suffer some as we will never see those very top of the elite players coming to UK any longer and the college game won't be quite as good over all.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/adam-silver-right-calling-end-one-done-rule-170421752.html

Will Zero or 2 have a detrimental effect on Coach Cal’s recruiting/ success?

AlohaCat

No it won't. I think that is what sets Cal apart from other coaches, is that he more quickly adjusts than other coaches to the recruiting rules changes. So with a "0 or 2" rule, I think he would get a feel for the top 10 to 15 guys, but mostly focus on the guys between 10 & 30, with the occasional (rare) top 10 guy that isn't a definite "0".

10-15 of the top 25 will declare
UK/Cal will get their share of what is left

Way less than 10-15 imo. There are only ~450 roster spots in the league, 10-15 graduated high schoolers aren't going to replace NBA vets every year. I'd say 2-3 elite players make the jump.

As for Cal, the only thing that will change is his prioritization of the top players. More planning, since he can't just unload and reload half the roster. Overall I don't think it hurts UK at all.

Reactions: awf
Way less than 10-15 imo. There are only ~450 roster spots in the league, 10-15 graduated high schoolers aren't going to replace NBA vets every year. I'd say 2-3 elite players make the jump.

As for Cal, the only thing that will change is his prioritization of the top players. More planning, since he can't just unload and reload half the roster. Overall I don't think it hurts UK at all.

I think I heard there are typically about 8 one and done's in the draft and this past year there were 16. Without having a year of being evaluated in college, I'd say you're right, only 2-3 will be deemed good enough to make the jump.

a lot more than 2-3 will go
without the OAD rule 2-3 of just our guys would have went this year
i do agree that most will not make a NBA roster, that is why Silver mentioned the G-league

I think I heard there are typically about 8 one and done's in the draft and this past year there were 16. Without having a year of being evaluated in college, I'd say you're right, only 2-3 will be deemed good enough to make the jump.

Why are so many people lost on what is happening? The NBA is not trying to get kids to the draft.

They are raising salaries in the G League to get them to come there.

The 2-year rule makes that decision even easier.

People who think only 2-3 will leave have no idea what is going on.

No it won't. I think that is what sets Cal apart from other coaches, is that he more quickly adjusts than other coaches to the recruiting rules changes. So with a "0 or 2" rule, I think he would get a feel for the top 10 to 15 guys, but mostly focus on the guys between 10 & 30, with the occasional (rare) top 10 guy that isn't a definite "0".

10-15 of the top 25 will declare
UK/Cal will get their share of what is left

It has already been stated that Cal has one FF in 14 years of none and done and 5 with it.

He is at UK now and his rep is much larger, but that still does not account for the drastic increase in talent parity.

Folks need to realize that the #30 player is closer to the #100 player than they are the #1 superstar.

Reactions: ganner918
Probably only 2 or 3 good enough most years but double that will roll the dice(maybe 5 to 8 per year,some will try to go that should not)

Probably only 2 or 3 good enough most years but double that will roll the dice(maybe 5 to 8 per year,some will try to go that should not)

It's not really rolling the dice for many. Especially those who think they only need one year to get ready.

Why spend 2 years in college if you can go to the G league with increased salaries with the possibility of being called up at any time?

Teams can easily raise the salaries and then you guys will see many kids go.

Why are so many people lost on what is happening? The NBA is not trying to get kids to the draft.

And what salary do you think they could afford to pay these G leagers? It will still be WAY less than they could make overseas. Players want to play in the NBA not the G league.

It may be more than 2-3 but 10-15 is ridiculous. The G league won't have a big enough following, and that many high schoolers entering it every year is just laughable. The NBA struggles to stay relevant during the regular season as-is.. how do they expect to expand the G league that much and stay afloat?

Exactly. AN 18 year old kid sees a contract of 250K a year and says why go to school and get paid nothing? Go to the G league or whatever they call it, and play a year or two and then get to the league. College basketball will become extinct or it will look like a rec league.

Reactions: brianpoe
So...let them go right out of high school. But how does that guarantee other players won't go to school for one year & bolt for NBA? The only way to really eliminate problem is raise age limit to 20 or 2 years in college.

And what salary do you think they could afford to pay these G leagers? It will still be WAY less than they could make overseas. Players want to play in the NBA not the G league.

It may be more than 2-3 but 10-15 is ridiculous. The G league won't have a big enough following, and that many high schoolers entering it every year is just laughable. The NBA struggles to stay relevant during the regular season as-is.. how do they expect to expand the G league that much and stay afloat?

I totally disagree.

If each team paid 15 players $100k that is only $1.5m extra per year. That is extremely cheap to stash a potential lottery pick had they gone to college for a year.

Money is NOT an issue with the league. Surely you do not need to look at some of the outrageous salaries paid to scrubs?

They will pay enough to get players and keep them from going to school and set the 2-year rule to make the decision easier.

Playing in the G league is an extremely fast way to get called up to the league when compared to the 2AD rule.

Thinking only 2-3 leave is ridiculous if a decent salary and the ability to get called up any time prior to 2 years is available.

Again, this is not about the draft. This is not 15 years ago. The NBA is basically stashing and training future lottery picks for cheap.

It's a pretty basic concept.

Reactions: UKGrad93
It's not really rolling the dice for many. Especially those who think they only need one year to get ready.

Why spend 2 years in college if you can go to the G league with increased salaries with the possibility of being called up at any time?

Teams can easily raise the salaries and then you guys will see many kids go.
I don't disagree,no one knows how this will shake out just yet but it is a fair bet that it will water down both college basketball and the NBA.As an unwanted side effect it could keep K around longer and bring more Wichita St/Butler etc type teams into the national championship picture on a more regular basis.

Last edited:

that is ridiculous, but that is how many will go
Cal has stated many times that EVERY kid he talks to wants to get to the NBA as quick as possible

as a UK fan we have had a run with the OAD system that we have not seen since Rupp

We will always eat first. Nothing will change in that regard. If players 1 - 20 all go directly into the league. We will get 21-30 and LilBro will be left with 75-100. There is nothing about the change in 1nDone that should concern us.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood

From mid 90's to mid 00's, you would see 5-10 go straight from HS every year. And that was before the D-League. I think some would be happy enough with that (over college), thinking it is just as quick a route to the NBA.

You have to remember, these are teenagers who are compulsive, don't always make the wisest decisions, and are used to hearing how great they are. We used to see a couple a year declare and not even get drafted, others go in the 2nd round. Even now, after being in college, and presumably maturing a bit, we still see a few each year make the unwise decision and leave too early. To think that won't happen if they are allowed to go a year earlier is ignorant.

I think you would see 8-9 of the top 10, 11-13 of the top 15, and then 3-4 others (guys with zero interest in school, low income families, who would jump at the chance to even play in the D-League).

that is ridiculous, but that is how many will go
Cal has stated many times that EVERY kid he talks to wants to get to the NBA as quick as possible

as a UK fan we have had a run with the OAD system that we have not seen since Rupp

The NBA. Not the G league.

@brianpoe you may be right, but those new NBA salaries are propped up by the mega deal from Turner sports and ESPN, which are failing. Salaries are extremely inflated right now, so I wouldn't use that as a reason to say X amount of money is nothing.

I'm definitely interested in what will happen, but not worried at all about UK.

We will always eat first. Nothing will change in that regard. If players 1 - 20 all go directly into the league. We will get 21-30 and LilBro will be left with 75-100. There is nothing about the change in 1nDone that should concern us.

This right here is the major problem for many.

People do not understand how remarkably different the top kids are from the rest.

Again #30 is closer to #100 than he is #1. Thus much more parity will be involved.

Our top 10 kids beat the top 30-50 often. Our top 30 kids will have a much tougher time with the top 75.

It is just the way the rankings work. So much more is put into the extremely great athletes. Kids in the top 100 are all good ball players. The top 10 are uber excellent.

This is not good for UK.

Plain and simple. Regardless of any rule, Cal with get the best of the best that are going to go to college. If the top 15 go, he with get 16-30 ish guys. Everyone else will be bumped down.

The NBA. Not the G league.

@brianpoe you may be right, but those new NBA salaries are propped up by the mega deal from Turner sports and ESPN, which are failing. Salaries are extremely inflated right now, so I wouldn't use that as a reason to say X amount of money is nothing.

I'm definitely interested in what will happen, but not worried at all about UK.

The G league will be the quickest route to the NBA if these new rules are put into place so I think that quells your argument a bit there.

I agree salaries are inflated but no matter what happens $1.5 million for a team of future picks will never be an issue for any NBA franchise.

I'm not necessarily worried about UK, I just don't understand why fans do not comprehend our current advantage and are ok with leveling the playing field giving more teams a better chance at titles.

I want to catch UCLA while I'm still alive. Increasing parity won't help.

The G League is another untapped source of revenue for the NBA. They can completely revamp it, market it and televise the games. Ice Cube recently hosted a 3 on 3 half court tournament with former players and I believe the ratings and popularity were pretty solid. The NBA will take the elite talent out of high school and let them join the G League as a stepping stone to the NBA. It's smart financially. We'll see if it pays off for the young players, though.

Make no mistake, from the NCAA's standpoint anything they do or try to do will be an effort to derail Cal and UK.If you don't see that then you aren't looking

The effect on Cal and UK is part of any conversation about change that goes on at the NCAA.

What I would like to see, which I think is a good compromise for all (NBA, NBA players assoc., college teams & coaches, and the young players) is something like the following.

1) NBA pays for a 1 week camp for the top 20 HS players, and top 30 college underclassmen.
2) At the end of the camp, each team picks where they think each of the 50 players will go in the draft (Top 5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60).
3) Each player will be provided with a summary of this on themselves (i.e. J.Doe you got one 6-10, two 11-15, four 16-20, twelve 21-25, ten 26-30, and one 41-50).
4) Each player will also be ranked based on those scores alone.
5) If you are a HS SR then to apply for the draft you must be in the top 10 HS SRs, or the top 20 (from all 50).
If you are a college FR then to apply for the draft you must be in the top 15 college underclassmen or the top 25 (from all 50)
If you are a college SOPH then to apply for the draft you must be in the top 25 college underclassmen or the top 40 (from all 50

This can be adjusted some if you implement the "0 or 2" rule.

So...let them go right out of high school. But how does that guarantee other players won't go to school for one year & bolt for NBA? The only way to really eliminate problem is raise age limit to 20 or 2 years in college.
Same reason a college football and baseball player can't enter the draft after their 1st or 2nd year in college. Rules stipulate that you can't. 20 years old and 2 years in college just mean the top guys would go to Europe for a couple of years before entering the draft.

People do not understand how remarkably different the top kids are from the rest.

Again #30 is closer to #100 than he is #1. Thus much more parity will be involved.

Our top 10 kids beat the top 30-50 often. Our top 30 kids will have a much tougher time with the top 75.

It is just the way the rankings work. So much more is put into the extremely great athletes. Kids in the top 100 are all good ball players. The top 10 are uber excellent.

This is not good for UK.

I understand that but the main point is that we will still get the best of those available to play against teams with even lesser talent. I'd rather be in our position.

I understand that but the main point is that we will still get the best of those available to play against teams with even lesser talent. I'd rather be in our position.

True, but anytime you level the playing field the opportunity for lesser teams increases. We will still win a good share of games.

But now Cal has to recruit the best ones that "might" not jump while also recruiting those he knows he will attend school all the while lesser programs have been focus primarily on the lower rated kids much longer.

We also know that Cal can be stubborn and risk waiting for a specific kid. How many will Sebastian Telfair situations will occur with this new system?

I say make them attend college until they turn 21. We can have our politicians pass an amendment that does not allow anyone to enter the NBA draft until they are 21. Uh! Oh! My bad our fine congressman an women could not pass gas little own a new amendment. Sorry, now you will return to your local radio station.

This is not good for UK.
These are my thoughts as well. You can see the talent difference on our team, just looking at top 10-15 guys vs top 16-30 guys.

It's not just the quicker entry to the NBA, it's that by choosing college, it's not for just one year anymore. It's the 2 years in college. I think that, along with higher G-league salaries will push more kids to the G-league. I'm guessing that several of our one and dones never come here if it means they have to stay for 2 years.

We would still have plenty of talent, but it wouldn't separate us from the field like it has so far during Cal's tenure. I'm not saying FARRR CAL!, (just to be clear).

It's frankly delusional to think only 2-3 will go. The 1-year rule was put into place just as skipping college was becoming more popular among top recruits. Prior to 03 two-three was normal, but you saw five do it in 03, eight in 04, nine in 05.

Young-Players-selected-in-the-NBA-Draft-over-time.png

Now, you've had more freshmen leaving the last few years than ever before. Guys are wanting to get to the league as quickly as possible. 10-15 is far, far more likely than 2-3.

Back to none-and-done is definitely bad for Kentucky. Aside from what others have mentioned - a narrower talent gap - we could end up burned by guys who tell us they're coming to college then go pro anyway, leaving us without anybody as other players stayed away thinking their spot was filled by a superior player. Two-and-done would be good for us, but it doesn't look likely. If you're looking at the return of high school to NBA as a neutral or good thing for us, you have blue-tinted glasses on.

2 reasons why the NCAA will fight the NBA on this:

1. The TV contracts for NCAA Basketball will drop in value exponentially with the loss of the top HS players. Heck ESPN markets those elite players from the time some are Jr's in HS. CBS will want the best players available for the NCAA Tournament.

2. The NCAA has to have the revenue generated by the Tournament to run ALL of it's operations. Can't see them setting a rule that would decrease the value of their main source of income.

Hopefully the NCAA will FINALLY realize how important UK Basketball and it's HUGE fan base is to their survival!! Neither UNCHEAT OR PUKE can bring the support that the BBN CAN and WILL!!!

ADVERTISEMENT