ADVERTISEMENT

UK or Coach Cal not mentioned once...

2 reasons why the NCAA will fight the NBA on this:

1. The TV contracts for NCAA Basketball will drop in value exponentially with the loss of the top HS players. Heck ESPN markets those elite players from the time some are Jr's in HS. CBS will want the best players available for the NCAA Tournament.

2. The NCAA has to have the revenue generated by the Tournament to run ALL of it's operations. Can't see them setting a rule that would decrease the value of their main source of income.

Hopefully the NCAA will FINALLY realize how important UK Basketball and it's HUGE fan base is to their survival!! Neither UNCHEAT OR PUKE can bring the support that the BBN CAN and WILL!!!

THIS is accurate

2 reasons why the NCAA will fight the NBA on this:

1. The TV contracts for NCAA Basketball will drop in value exponentially with the loss of the top HS players. Heck ESPN markets those elite players from the time some are Jr's in HS. CBS will want the best players available for the NCAA Tournament.

2. The NCAA has to have the revenue generated by the Tournament to run ALL of it's operations. Can't see them setting a rule that would decrease the value of their main source of income.

Hopefully the NCAA will FINALLY realize how important UK Basketball and it's HUGE fan base is to their survival!! Neither UNCHEAT OR PUKE can bring the support that the BBN CAN and WILL!!!

What ammunition does the NCAA have to fight the NBA?

Free instruction, added evaluation, promotion, following and added maturity just to name a few.

If this current change is made the NBA offers paid instruction, no classes, 24/7 training, NBA coaches and trainers, and the opportunity to get to the league faster.

But this is not the point as these are all things for the players.

The question is what ammunition does the NCAA have to combat any rule change the NBA would make. I think it was @JonathanW who suggested allowing players who are not drafted, or not drafted high enough, to come back to school.

That would put some pressure on the league.

Reactions: catben
@brianpoe, I agree with @JonathanW, that would definitely be the main bargaining chip for the NCAA. But I believe the TV networks will get involved to work out a solution because of the $Billions involved.

There is too much money involved to abruptly change the very fabric of NCAA Basketball. Then again, if the NBA is tired of the crap that's going on in the AAU, shoe companies and some shady programs, they may feel now is the time to make a move to eliminate having to deal with the NCAA.

That's why I stated in my 1st post it's high time the NCAA embraces UK Basketball like never before because we are one of the most powerful followings in all of sports.

Reactions: brianpoe
If this current change is made the NBA offers paid instruction, no classes, 24/7 training, NBA coaches and trainers, and the opportunity to get to the league faster.

But this is not the point as these are all things for the players.

The question is what ammunition does the NCAA have to combat any rule change the NBA would make. I think it was @JonathanW who suggested allowing players who are not drafted, or not drafted high enough, to come back to school.

That would put some pressure on the league.

that is by far the best thing that could happen
the only problem with it is that the NBA would have to agree to allow players not drafted high enough to enter the draft a second time
i don't think they would change the rules for that to happen
what i think they might get in a bargaining agreement is to allow non-drafted players to enter the draft a second time. after that second time his options are done except the free agent option

Reactions: brianpoe
From mid 90's to mid 00's, you would see 5-10 go straight from HS every year. And that was before the D-League. I think some would be happy enough with that (over college), thinking it is just as quick a route to the NBA.

You have to remember, these are teenagers who are compulsive, don't always make the wisest decisions, and are used to hearing how great they are. We used to see a couple a year declare and not even get drafted, others go in the 2nd round. Even now, after being in college, and presumably maturing a bit, we still see a few each year make the unwise decision and leave too early. To think that won't happen if they are allowed to go a year earlier is ignorant.

I think you would see 8-9 of the top 10, 11-13 of the top 15, and then 3-4 others (guys with zero interest in school, low income families, who would jump at the chance to even play in the D-League).

8-9 of the top 10 will 100% not go straight to the nba/ g league. No way

After the teams draft a Skal who hasn't even developed with a college team and talent level they will go to the two year rule. No team wants to have a top 5 pick and have to develop them that much for that pick.

Two questions:
1. Would this rule run Cal off to the pros?
2. What does the "G" stand for anyway? So there will no longer be a "D" league.

8-9 of the top 10 will 100% not go straight to the nba/ g league. No way

In this scenario I think he’s right.

Go to college for 2 years minimum with classes and limited training.

Go pro even if G-league make very good money (for an 18 yr old and assuming they raise salaries as suggested), work on your game 24/7 with NBA coaches and have the potential they be called up at anytime.

Why go to college if you think u can be a pro in 2 years? The dev league will improve a player much faster.

Exactly. AN 18 year old kid sees a contract of 250K a year and says why go to school and get paid nothing? Go to the G league or whatever they call it, and play a year or two and then get to the league. College basketball will become extinct or it will look like a rec league.
Heck , I'm bettin most would do it for 50k to 75k. They will be thinking of being there one year . No classes . Unlimited practice with instructors .

In the NCAA's desire to rein in Cal and UK they are heading down the road to destroying college basketball,but what would you expect from an organization that allowed UNC to get away with a generation of academic and athletic fraud.The NCAA is about to destroy itself as well.

If the direct to the NBA from high school thing happens,some (maybe most) will benefit but within 2 or 3 years there will be a 30 for 30 on how some number of kids lives were ruined by the change.There is no free lunch,nothing works perfectly.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT