ADVERTISEMENT

UK -n- Mizzou ( Saturday )...

Guess it's time to accept that this team just doesn't have the horses on the pitching staff for the team to have the sort of season that fans were hoping for. Not to say that they can't get Thompson healthier and get hotter to go on a run, but not looking promising having only two effective starters and a shaky bullpen. Bad luck with the Thompson injury, obviously, and Haase probably got behind with his non-throwing hand injury early. A few of the newcomers are apparently injured as well, and perhaps those three were some of their more talented prospects. Overall, disappointing though.

You have to be in that situation...if we had taken the lead there the game may have turned out differently

Might have, but there is no way we can really blame hitters in this one. Plain and simple, the fact that we gave up 14 runs is the big deal. Our hitting was outstanding today. I think we were right around .500 with runners in scoring position. You cannot ask for much better than that. We simply cannot give up 14 earned runs (I believe they were all earned).

Moving forward... Thompson becomes a key. If we get him back then the pressure on our bullpen on Saturday becomes much smaller. If we can get someone to go 5-6 innings then we will probably be okay. Instead, we are only getting 3-4 innings and our bullpen has to go a long way and it just isn't good enough to shut down teams for that long.

Batters had some frustrating moments but they clearly did their job today. 14 runs to a terrible hitting team. Relief pitching has a lot of soul searching to do. Tomorrow is a must win. What is scary is we are one Luke Heyer homerun Friday night from looking at being swept by Missouri tomorrow.
It's bb IC...give me 6 tomorrow with Lewis and I like our chances. Fortunately today we haven't lost much ground so far.

Youth and I don't like Bellanger AT ALL

I am not yet going to judge Belanger. We have to take into account what this team is facing.

Haake came into the season injured and missed a whole lot of bullpen time and preparation because of a broken left hand.

Thompson then went down as SEC play started. While he was struggling, we don't know how much he was dealing with before hand. Still, this was a different team with him.

Brad Dobzanski is a freshman righty that would have contributed this season. Top 200 prospect in 2017 overall and a top 75 righty in the class of 2017, but an injury left him redshirting.

Ben Jordan was the 33rd best right hander in the country and the 3rd best player in Kentucky. Hes compared to Alex Meyer and Kyle Cody. He had elbow surgery last summer and is still recovering and in rehab. He's redshirting this year.

Grant Macciocchi started at Missouri before going JUCO. For Missouri he was a pitcher and he became a 2 way player in JUCO. He could definitely be a guy who comes in and gets a couple innings of relief, but he has been injured and I think coaches were hoping to have him back this spring, but it didn't happen.

Austin Marozas is another freshman that came in and is redshirting because of injury. Top 200 player overall and top 75 righty. Should be a big time player for UK and he is redshirting.

That is a lot of injuries to deal with. Not to mention that Cam Hill and TJ Collett both have been injured this year. Not sure about any other injuries, but there have been a whole lot of them and we have had some pretty bad luck this year in that regard.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
Team’s gone down hill,since SEC play started,not just pitching ,but hitting too. Too many good pitches looked at for strikes,especially the first pitch! Just in a funk, and not a lot of enthusiasm.

Team’s gone down hill,since SEC play started,not just pitching ,but hitting too. Too many good pitches looked at for strikes,especially the first pitch! Just in a funk, and not a lot of enthusiasm.
I will agree we strike out looking wayyyy too much, you learn in Little League don't take anything close with 2 strikes on you. We got caught looking at least 6 times today!

Not convinced this team even makes the NCAA, have to start winning consistently

Why throw Thompson in meaningless 9th...if you were gonna pitch him why not when its 9-8

Had he pitched in those innings and done poorly people would be questioning why we used a pitcher who hasn't thrown since mid-March in a tight game.

Unless they totally implode they're making the tournament...and

Sorry, but I have to disagree, we are 9-11 in the SEC right now, last season, 2017, no SEC team got an NCAA bid with a losing conference record. We could go 5-5 from here on out and maybe not get invited, at 4-6, forget it. 13-17 will not be in the NCAA.

Sorry, but I have to disagree, we are 9-11 in the SEC right now, last season, 2017, no SEC team got an NCAA bid with a losing conference record. We could go 5-5 from here on out and maybe not get invited, at 4-6, forget it. 13-17 will not be in the NCAA.

I would normally agree with you, but this year might be an aberration because not many teams have really separated themselves. Teams like South Carolina and LSU have better conference records but we're on the discussion to host while they are in the discussion of not making the tournament at all. The reason is their rpis (53 & 49) while ours is 17. I doubt that we plummet that far in Rpi even if we finish .500.

If we’re to ever get to Omaha ,our pitching performance,recruiting, and strategery , less taking first strike pitches, is going to have to dramatically improve!

I would normally agree with you, but this year might be an aberration because not many teams have really separated themselves. Teams like South Carolina and LSU have better conference records but we're on the discussion to host while they are in the discussion of not making the tournament at all. The reason is their rpis (53 & 49) while ours is 17. I doubt that we plummet that far in Rpi even if we finish .500.

I like that take, seems like we need to at least finish 15-15 then, so we need to go a minimum of 6-4 the rest of the way, 8-2 and we probably do get a regional host spot.

We have @Tennessee, Mississippi State, and @Vanderbilt and are 10-11. It could be worse.

Georgia (12-9) has @Missouri, @Florida, Arkansas
South Carolina (11-10) has Ole Miss, Missouri, @Texas A&M
Vanderbilt (11-10) is @Auburn, @Tennessee, Kentucky
Missouri (9-12) has Georgia, @South Carolina, Tennessee

It will be an interesting finish in the East. Georgia definitely has the most difficult schedule remaining. Even though they have two home series remaining, South Carolina's remaining schedule may be the next most difficult. I'd rate Missouri's next, Vanderbilt's, next. If it weren't for our bullpen, I'd feel pretty good about how this is going to finish up. We have to win the next two series. We could end up anywhere from 2nd to 5th in the East.

Tennessee has only won two series: Alabama which they swept and Texas A&M both at home. However, they have only lost one series at home to Florida which is the same that we did. We need to step up next week. I think we can beat Mississippi State at home.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT