ADVERTISEMENT

Seasoned, well coached players

Jazzycat

All-American
May 23, 2002
Watching UCONN, Houston, Iowa State and Marquette play is educational. Those players look like they have been together 3-4 years and they look like grown men compared to UK. I wonder how much the COVID year has impacted those teams - being allowed to play an extra year - those guys look like pro players compared to KY.

I am still concerned about the coaching aspect being up to par but, watching those teams in contrast to the Cats has added perspective. UK will need to up their defense to get out of the first weekend, for sure. But, going up against one of those teams is going to be a disaster as there is a clear difference in development and experience. Just to add some perspective on Selection Sunday😊….

Reactions: Fox2monk
Watching UCONN, Houston, Iowa State and Marquette play is educational. Those players look like they have been together 3-4 years and they look like grown men compared to UK. I wonder how much the COVID year has impacted those teams - being allowed to play an extra year - those guys look like pro players compared to KY.

I am still concerned about the coaching aspect being up to par but, watching those teams in contrast to the Cats has added perspective. UK will need to up their defense to get out of the first weekend, for sure. But, going up against one of those teams is going to be a disaster as there is a clear difference in development and experience. Just to add some perspective on Selection Sunday😊….
Mitchell looked like a seasoned and fairly well coached player half the year. That injury really derailed us and him. He went from being a top 4 player every game to one of our worst.

Houston yesterday didn't look very seasoned. :)

• Haha
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Transfers are the same as one and done high schoolers. They're new to the program and culture. Just like the high schoolers. Sure, they're probably more seasoned in the college game. But they aren't used to being at UK, being in the fishbowl, etc, etc. Those players at those programs are 3-4 year players. Not bought and paid for transfers. We need a new coach.

Reactions: blubo
I agree completely about a coaching change. Calipari is living off the laurels of his first 6 years, I am afraid, and the life time contract sealed UK’s doom, it appears. He looks tired and detached from the realities of the job - except recruiting. Surely Kentucky can find an up and coming coach who can handle the microscope and the responsibilities of returning UK to bb dominance. My original point was to present an observation of how that extra COVID year has benefited a lot of teams in maturity and physical development of players.

Reactions: Zissou87
Transfers are the same as one and done high schoolers. They're new to the program and culture. Just like the high schoolers. Sure, they're probably more seasoned in the college game. But they aren't used to being at UK, being in the fishbowl, etc, etc. Those players at those programs are 3-4 year players. Not bought and paid for transfers. We need a new coach.
For UConn, only 1 of their top 11 players have been there for more than 2 years. Their top 2 scorers are transfer guys.

At Houston, 2 of their starters, including their leading scorer, are first year transfers.

At Iowa State, 4 of their top 5 players are transfers.

Marquette does have a pretty consistent roster of guys who have been there from the beginning.

Most programs have transfers and “bought” players as a major part of their roster. Some more than others. Some coaches are better with it than others.

Reactions: Zissou87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT