ADVERTISEMENT

UK just not appealing anymore?

No Way What GIF by MASTERPIECE | PBS

could it actually be that this generation doesn’t look at Kentucky as a blue blood or something? Is it the campus? I’m really starting to feel like the University is going in the sh@tter here of late. I’m good with the roster, don’t get me wrong but damn, are the boosters hurting for money?
I have read too many interviews with the 2025 guys Pope is recruiting to see that Kentucky is still viewed as a blue blood and one of the very, if not the top, places to go play ball. I think once people see this new style of play, the fans feeding off it and the success it will bring then recruiting will take care of itself.

I believe these things tend to go in cycles.

The OP is getting roasted but I think it's safe to assume we "currently" aren't the "it school? to go to.

These days it's far less about the actual school and more about how much money will I make in NIL deals.

just a few questions.. didnt think I’d get stoned to death.
You were pretty vague.
What specific recruitment are you referring to as a"fail"?
Regardless of how much money the boosters have or don't have, you still never let a kid dictate his price unless he's a complete program changer.
UK hasn't been involved with a player of that caliber this entire recruiting cycle under Cal or Pope.

could it actually be that this generation doesn’t look at Kentucky as a blue blood or something? Is it the campus? I’m really starting to feel like the University is going in the sh@tter here of late. I’m good with the roster, don’t get me wrong but damn, are the boosters hurting for money?
If so, it's mostly Cal's fault. I have been saying for years that he was damaging our reputation and going to make it harder for the next coach to get players to come here. Not sure if that's going to end up being the truth or not, though.

Its all about the money. College loyalty is dead.

NIL, transfer portal, even OAD.

It's a WHOLE NEW WORLD now!!! Kids don't care about "Blue Blood" status. They don't expect to be anywhere more than 1-2 years. It's all about $$$ (NIL) and getting to the NBA as quickly as possible (for those with that level of talent) but still making big $$$ until then.
And it's not just college sports. In the real world, kids out of college expect to be at their 1st job 1-3 years, whereas 20 years ago that was probably 3-5 years, and 40 years ago more like 5-10 years.

When you see a post that seems so stupid, in a provocative way, that it is outside the range of intelligent human thought, check the date the poster signed up. In this case, it was April 12 -- the exact day Pope was hired. That's not a coincidence. He clearly rushed here, started an account and began to troll.

99 percent of boards are moderated and get rid of such posters. Not Rupp's Rafters.

Last edited:
OP is trolling but you do have to wonder what the appeal and what is being sold about UK now. Cal is gone. No more Drake and constant attention. No more future NBA stars annually. What do we as a fanbase a program currently have to offer? Passionate fanbase? Yes. But that isn’t as important here days when these kids experience fame that comes along with social media. Back in the day players would go out to the mall and get asked for autographs and that would be a thrill. Now players are buying jewelry and have groupies in their DMs. Went from NbADraft camp to church camp in a couple months.

I believe these things tend to go in cycles.

The OP is getting roasted but I think it's safe to assume we "currently" aren't the "it school? to go to.

These days it's far less about the actual school and more about how much money will I make in NIL deals.
We want guys who play for the name on the front of the jersey or some corny nonsense like that. Elite talent who warrant elite money aren’t for us.

We want guys who play for the name on the front of the jersey or some corny nonsense like that. Elite talent who warrant elite money aren’t for us.
Exactly what Mike Woodson said when he was hired at Indiana. The play for the name on the front. Is fan fodder. Rah rah type stuff. Recruits wanna know how they can use the current program for NIL. And get to the next level.

Players literally transfer after going to final fours to get higher NIL dollars.

Not sure what this guy is talking about, seems like the Cats got most everybody they wanted from the portal and seem to have quite a bit of interest from top recruits for next season as well.

We have 11 players. 6 of which averaged over 10 pts a game. 7 of which who averaged 9 a game. The 8th a McDonald's all American in his 2nd season. So right now its a combo of things for kids its playing time and role and some players don't want to be part of a team. Others are waiting on a specific money amount. Some who played 4 years probably don't want to go to college anymore.

We missed out on Osobor(money), Lanier(tn recruiting him early and home state), Roach( money and getting on to him first) and the kid from BYU but he had a wife and plus they were comfortable with an area and probably the lifestyle. Robinson could have stayed in but maybe he was sick of college ball. Mulhaney went to Connecticut which just went back to back.

Instead of him we got Berea. Lots of people wanted Carr, Duke wanted Butler. All the kids had a list and picked Kentucky and wanted to be a part of a team. Its a brand new team as well. They know it takes time to gel so. Maybe some of the reasons 12 and 13 scholarships are hard to come by. Depending on the pitch. Still waiting on Poplar, Riley, maybe some new names if Robinson did stay in draft.

We have 11 players. 6 of which averaged over 10 pts a game. 7 of which who averaged 9 a game. The 8th a McDonald's all American in his 2nd season. So right now its a combo of things for kids its playing time and role and some players don't want to be part of a team. Others are waiting on a specific money amount. Some who played 4 years probably don't want to go to college anymore.

We missed out on Osobor(money), Lanier(tn recruiting him early and home state), Roach( money and getting on to him first) and maybe the kid from BYU but he had a wife and plus they were comfortable with an area and probably the lifestyle. Robinson could have stayed in but maybe he was sick of college ball. Mulhaney went to Connecticut which just went back to back. Instead of him we got Berea. Lots of people wanted Carr, Duke wanted Butler. All the kids had a list and picked Kentucky and wanted to be a part of a team. Its a brand new team as well. They know it takes time to gel so. Maybe some of the reasons 12 and 13 scholarships are hard to come by. Depending on the pitch.
I think we have a great team TEAM put together. I think it will be better than what was coming in. What would expect under the circumstances. I'm not sure e missed on anyone better than what we have. Time will tell. I'm hoping for Will. Very talented.

so instead of reading up on what recruits are saying, pleading to get a look from Pope and KY and such, you just want to post negative crap. that is the problem. It would be a little different if you started off with, I do not follow UK basketball, I do not really take the time and I post something negative to see how that works.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Folks, if Robinson stays in the draft or goes elsewhere the sun will come up tomorrow. That chocolate ice cream will taste just as good tomorrow. Step away from the ledge.

Patience "Grass Hopper"! It's a different world that we lived in just 5 minutes ago! College sports are no longer amateur - professionals it's now "Show me the Money". Enough is enough- lol!

UK is just another franchise now - but it will be allright!

Go Big Blue1

Both drugs and lack of drugs cause this condition. Which bucket do you fit into?

Exactly what Mike Woodson said when he was hired at Indiana. The play for the name on the front. Is fan fodder. Rah rah type stuff. Recruits wanna know how they can use the current program for NIL. And get to the next level.

Players literally transfer after going to final fours to get higher NIL dollars.
And who can say what they would do if they were in the recruits shoes.

Wait, I thought it was more about the coach than the university?

Some people take pride in accomplishments and consider money to be a by-product of performance. I think it’s way too simplistic to paint all college athletes as nothing but mercenaries.

Being part of and adding to a winning tradition still matter to some. No better place to play than Kentucky if you have that mindset.

It's all about money nowadays.

It will be fascinating to see what programs rise and fall in the new NIL era of college sports.

Reactions: Zissou87
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT