ADVERTISEMENT

UK football and the December transfer portal

I figure the DB is Nicholson from.Miss St. Could the edge be Overton from a&m, with his long discussed family connection to UK.

a lot of fun to follow and speculate

The "proven" elite edge rusher in question sounds like Tyler Baron to me. He has just one year to play. He's probably the most proven of any edge candidates we've been rumored with. And if Alabama is the competition, it appears he wants to play the JACK LBer position in a 3-4 defense, which both we and Alabama run. It is also interesting to note that Kentucky and Alabama are the destinations directly north and south of his current location.

The DB sounds like it must be Nyland Green. He is the only DB I know of that we are looking at who would generate a jaw dropping wow response. Trikweze Bridges from Oregon might be another possibility. I'd happily take either, or both.

The WR is a bit harder to pin down, as we've been rumored to be associated with a number of quality prospects. But with the SL-WR spot now covered by the addition of Maclin, logic suggests we are looking at a bigger fella to play on the outside. Donaven McCulley and Julian Fleming would fit this profile and both proven, reliable pass catchers. There has seemingly been more interest between these two and UK than other X/Z receivers I can think of, so I think the WR is likely one of these two, probably McCulley.

Now I wish we could find at least one more very solid to stud level OL in the portal and get them signed up. If we do, I will be starting to feel a lot better about next season.

Last edited:
The "proven" elite edge rusher in question sounds like Tyler Baron to me. He has just one year to play. He's probably the most proven of any edge candidates we've been rumored with. And if Alabama is the competition, it appears he wants to play the JACK LBer position in a 3-4 defense, which both we and Alabama run. It is also interesting to note that Kentucky and Alabama are the destinations directly north and south of his current location.

The DB sounds like it must be Nyland Green. He is the only DB I know of that we are looking at who would generate a jaw dropping wow response.

The WR is a bit harder to pin down, as we've been rumored to be associated with a number of quality prospects. But with the SL-WR spot now covered by the addition of Maclin, logic suggests we are looking at a bigger fella to play on the outside. Donaven McCulley and Julian Fleming would fit this profile and both proven, reliable pass catchers. There has seemingly been more interest between these two and UK than other X/Z receivers I can think of, so I think the WR is likely one of these two, probably McCulley.

Now I wish we could find at least one more very solid to stud level OL in the portal and get them signed up. If we do, I will be starting to feel a lot better about next season.
The WR could be Golden from Houston if he hasn't already landed elsewhere. Maybe we get his old coach too.

The WR could be Golden from Houston if he hasn't already landed elsewhere. Maybe we get his old coach too.
Re Golden, we'll see but TOS is linking Golden to Texas.

Fooled me on the coach, thought UK would've announced a hire by now. Still think the people who need to know do know, rest of us will find out on Stoops timeline.

IMO I'm afraid our 1st choice for WR coach has other serious offers we are waiting out who gets picked

Looks like we have 3 offers out to the san diego state kid.... Manuel from arky, and a kid who played with Maclin at North Texas state. all huge dudes. knock on wood and your wish may come true!

Reactions: bluecoon1
It is always nice to get an outside perspective on things. This guy seems to think UK has found the formula for successfully advancing to the next rung on the SEC ladder.

I would agree with what he is saying. UK is never going to out-recruit Alabama, Georgia or LSU. But if we can consistently bring in top 25 classes and supplement those classes with 2nd string portal guys from the elite programs, then that should give UK the talent needed to be legit playoff contenders on a regular basis now that we are going to a 12 team format. And who knows? If we can do that, there's no reason that we won't occasionally be good enough to challenge the Georgia's and Alabama's of the conference.

Stoops has elevated us from an SEC bottom feeder to a consistently mid-tier SEC program. It seems UK has really taken advantage of the portal which has allowed us to establish ourselves as one of the top destinations for transfers. This is a big deal. The portal gives us a chance to land numerous guys each year that we'd have zero shot at recruiting straight out of high school. If we can combine top 25 recruiting with being top 5 or top 10 in the portal, that is how we move from being mid-tier (7/8 wins) to upper tier (10 wins) on a fairly regular basis. The portal is becoming a great equalizer for us.

Houston WR Golden at Texas this weekend, if we haven't figured out our reciever coach position in the next 24 hrs we can forget him

Bama has visiting highly wanted edge Trey Moore from UTSA. If they land him could impact the edge rushers we both are chasing

Houston WR Golden at Texas this weekend, if we haven't figured out our reciever coach position in the next 24 hrs we can forget him

Bama has visiting highly wanted edge Trey Moore from UTSA. If they land him could impact the edge rushers we both are chasing
When's that stupid waiting period thingy expire?

Pulled name from portal, staying at IU

Might be waiting till April for portal O line help, not sure we are close to any in Dec
OT from San Diego St, OT team mate of Maclin's. What's the story on IU WR and DB Nicholson?

When's that stupid waiting period thingy expire?
Don't think that's a problem. First it should have expired by now. Second if we know who the new coach will be, we can just tell the athlete. I suspect the new coach is on the staff of a bowl team and will not be announced until after the bowl.

Don't think that's a problem. First it should have expired by now. Second if we know who the new coach will be, we can just tell the athlete. I suspect the new coach is on the staff of a bowl team and will not be announced until after the bowl.
I think the hire has been made, the people who need to know already know. The rest of us will find out on Stoops timeline.

I think the hire has been made, the people who need to know already know. The rest of us will find out on Stoops timeline.

You are bound to be right about this. Otherwise Maclin would not have committed to UK when he did.

The next question is, who will be the next WR to transfer to UK? Somehow I still doubt it will be McCulley.

McCulley also pulls his name out of the portal and apparently staying at IU. The new Hoosier coach hurting our prospects.

Go get another experienced WR visiting and considering UK, please

McCulley also pulls his name out of the portal and apparently staying at IU. The new Hoosier coach hurting our prospects.

Go get another experienced WR visiting and considering UK, please
Not surprised, Cignetti is young, impressionable guy.

It is starting to sound like the Houston WR coach (Shorts) is our top candidate for the position, so that probably elevates our chances of getting Matthew Golden.

Reactions: UKfirst
ILB is now a position of need for depth/experience from the portal now with TW declaring for the draft. Anyone of interest in the portal? The UGA ILB has been brought up.

Reactions: delk4three
ILB is now a position of need for depth/experience from the portal now with TW declaring for the draft. Anyone of interest in the portal? The UGA ILB has been brought up.

While understanding Trevin Wallace could leave early if determined to do so, I doubted he would leave because staying another season seemed to be in his interests. Now that he has declared for the NFL draft, this leaves a big hole in the middle of our 2024 defense. Wallace has been the second-best player on our team. Coach White could fill this void from within, with Rayner, Godfrey, or Brown. That would work, as far as it goes, but Wallace's lateral pursuit and blitz ability would be missed. Or, Coach White can seek a solution through the portal.

JJ Weaver is graduating. I have assumed, and still do, that D'Eryk Jackson will return for a COVID season because that will help and extend his football career. In the last several weeks, Coach White has lost Wallace, Keaton Wade, Martez Thrower, Elijah Groves, and Lorenzo Cowan. Whereas UK's 2024 LB rotations appeared to be in good shape prior to this, now I think Stoops and White will be compelled to go to the portal for 1-2 more LBs. Every LB who comes to UK through the portal this offseason will have a good opportunity to start. In the long term, I have faith in Godfrey, Brown, Fearbry, and Jacob Smith because their offer sheets are strong and they are excellent athletes. But replacing JJ Weaver and Trevin Wallace in SEC play will require more than that. Coach White has a great reputation, and this is the time to translate that into immediate influence in the portal.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Marvin Jones. But DJ Lundy or Avery Huff could be possibilities. UK recruited both out of hs.

Last edited:
It is starting to sound like the Houston WR coach (Shorts) is our top candidate for the position, so that probably elevates our chances of getting Matthew Golden.
The scuttlebutt is that Matthew Golden will commit to TX soon. I believe he is visiting Austin now.

Last edited:
My count this morning shows 52 current Wildcats likely to return for our 2024 season. This involves educated guessing since I am making some assumptions, such as-

I believe D'Eryk Jackson and Daveryn Rayner will return for a COVID season.

Octavious Oxendine, Tanner Bowles, and Deuce Hogan are likely to return.

Trevin Wallace and Andru Phillips are leaving for the NFL draft.

I am assuming Jackson Smith remains on scholarship.

I am not accounting for Jaquez Keyes although he may earn a 2024 scholarship.

Patrick has assured us that Alex Raynor will return, and I now have no doubt Raynor will be on scholarship given his strong performance.

I am not accounting for other current Wildcats who may still leave through the portal although more undoubtedly will leave (thus opening up more scholarships).

So with those assumptions, I count 52 returning Wildcats in 2024.

With Lorenzo Cowan's decommitment, we currently have 20 commits in our 2024 class. Willie Rodriguez is visiting TN this weekend but I don't believe he will flip.

So far, Vandagriff, Allen, Trayanum, Maclin, and Cottrell have committed to UK out of the portal.

So-

52 + 20 + 5 = 77

85 - 77 = 8

This morning's math suggests Mark Stoops currently has about 8 open scholarships to work with. Remaining priorities-

At least one more WR

Two more offensive linemen

Two more LBs

One more CB

One more S

These numbers match up. The players can be acquired through the portal or added to our 2024 class. The December signing date is less than a week away now, and transfers who wish to enroll in January will also need to make their decisions in the next 2-3 weeks. But every year there is a hs prospect or two who commit for the late signing date in February, and this year probably won't be an exception given all the open scholarships.

JJ has a year left and it sounds like he may return, unless something has changed I'm not aware of.
That's still a possibility. It would be a COVID season. I am not making this assumption but obviously it could happen. It could only help Weaver's football career and it would help to ease the effect of losing Keaton. Weaver has been a solid player for us, but has not yet lived up to his hs headlines and player rankings. A strong 2024 season could move him up onto the NFL draft board whereas he is a FA candidate now.

Weaver has been a solid player for us, but has not yet lived up to his hs headlines and player rankings.
I’m ambiguous about his return. I don’t want to disparage a player. However, that position MUST provide pass rush for our defense to excel. 5 years at the position leads me to believe year 6 will not be much different. (It’s not like a player’s jump from earlier years in a program.)

I’m ready to see Fearbry and a few others.

Depth is my greater concern!

I appreciate Weaver’s contributions to UK and wish him the best while trusting White and Stoops to do what is best for the team.

Reactions: bluecoon1
I’m ambiguous about his return. I don’t want to disparage a player. However, that position MUST provide pass rush for our defense to excel. 5 years at the position leads me to believe year 6 will not be much different. (It’s not like a player’s jump from earlier years in a program.)

I’m ready to see Fearbry and a few others.

Depth is my greater concern!

I appreciate Weaver’s contributions to UK and wish him the best while trusting White and Stoops to do what is best for the team.

I understand where you are coming from.
But getting Weaver back is more important now that Keaton Wade has bolted. Weaver is a good, solid player, but not the pass rusher you and I hoped. I think Jordan Wright turned out to be the better of the two, although it is harder to evaluate Weaver's career since he has worked through so many significant injuries.

Another thing to take into account is that Weaver is a leader in our locker room.

Fearbry and Jacob Smith have a shot to become excellent SEC players. Both had very strong offer sheets and both have excellent frames. But both will need to add more muscle before they can become effective SEC edge pass rushers. This will take development and time. In the context of 2024, we would be better off with Weaver back on our roster, while also developing our younger edge LBs.

When IU announced their new coach they also made it public that they had secured a $3M NIL pool. They might be able to outbid us.

AR QB KJ Jefferson has now hit the transfer portal. I am not bringing this up to suggest any connection with UK. There isn't one. I'm simply astounded. Aside from the sudden glaring loss of trust in Coach Pittman's program, it's just a graphic sign of the times.

When IU announced their new coach they also made it public that they had secured a $3M NIL pool. They might be able to outbid us.
Probably

Richard Johnson who writes for SI and on the Split Zone Duo podcast said this week about NIL; if you are a power 5 school with yearly NIL pool under $5M - you're not serious about competing. You are satisfied with 6-6 or 7-5 and a bowl. $5-$10M - now, that investment can build a 10 win capable roster, can compete for the 12 team CFB playoff slot.

Nobody REALLY knows actual NIL amounts, but people are smart enough to figure out who is paying the most and who is paying the least. UK is at the bottom of the SEC. Just like our normal fan donations to the UKAA.

If you follow portalling right now who is most active, with high rated guys? Miami, Ole Miss, Auburn, Colorado. I'm very happy what UK has done, securing QB for next 2 yrs, getting talent and depth in WR room. Worried our tiny budget limits any of the many available and open to playing for us defensive guys.

Fearbry and Jacob Smith have a shot to become excellent SEC players.
What are expections next year for Godfrey and Matthews?

I know Robinson is an athletic freak. Does he end up at DE or OLB? Do you think they use him in different packages next year to get him on the field with Walker and amother DE?

I agree 100% with Weaver’s leadership and our need for depth at the position. However, I don’t have confidence that he helps our pass rush. This position must get more pressure than it produced last year. Nothing would make me happier than for Weaver to finally have the year with high number of sacks/pressures.

What are expections next year for Godfrey and Matthews?

I know Matthews is plugged into the Jack LB rotation and would be expected to compete with Fearbry (and maybe Weaver?) in the spring. Fearbry is more athletic.

There has been a lot of speculation about Godfrey's position, but he does not have the length to play "Jack" in Coach White's defensive scheme. He certainly has an outstanding pedigree. I tend to think of him as a Will LB, Wallace's position. With Wallace leaving, I imagine Godfrey could receive a long look there this spring.

I know Robinson is an athletic freak. Does he end up at DE or OLB? Do you think they use him in different packages next year to get him on the field with Walker and amother DE?

When the recruitment of BRob began, it was pretty clear Coach Marrow and Coach White were looking at him as a "Jack" and that BRob was also thinking that way. But BRob is up to 270# and has mostly had his hand down in the dirt for his junior and senior seasons. If they want to stick to a recruiting pathway and work 20# off of him during the offseason, BRob has the kind of training discipline so that he might be able to do that. But with Jacob Smith also in the class, it just makes sense to me that JS with that ideal frame of his can be developed as a Jack LB and BRob as a DE. BRob can easily carry another 20-30# of muscle without losing twitch or quickness. He is a gym warrior.

I agree 100% with Weaver’s leadership and our need for depth at the position. However, I don’t have confidence that he helps our pass rush. This position must get more pressure than it produced last year. Nothing would make me happier than for Weaver to finally have the year with high number of sacks/pressures.

Like you, I don't see Weaver ever being an elite SEC pass rusher. He is tough against a downhill running game, although I have been disappointed at times with how easily he sometimes loses edge containment. But on balance, I think we would be better off with him than without him in 2024, although we also need to see development from our younger Jack LBs. Keaton Wade is an unfortunate loss. It still kinda amuses me that the Wade twins are headed to CO. What a dumb decision. In any case, we need more twitch at the Jack LB position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT