ADVERTISEMENT

UK fans who are upset with Diallo are selfish and crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My answer was no. Guess I should have used a comma instead of a period.

As far as if its acceptable or not, its a completely different situation. There's no reason to sit out then. Sounds like a straw man argument as I don't see why that would arise. You're not coming in the middle of season six months behind everyone else.
Again, the half year situation was unheard of until now. Want to read a quick quote from Diallo? “I don’t want to go over there and just put on a Kentucky jersey and just play. Just trying to protect me as much as possible." While I can understand wanting to protect the team, it is interesting that he is concerned about protecting himself. In other words, he sat out to protect his draft stock because he was behind. Any normal player would go in when the coach tells him he is ready.

Reactions: Swinglinestapler
Oh God. Theres the injury excuse again. Why even have the sport? You know football players..(250 pound men colliding at full speed) have to play 3 years before they go, but basketball players cant play one. Again, why even have the sport? Anyone close to draftable cant play because they might get injured. Lets just have a bunch of 5'9 white boys throwing up bricks in college ball then. I mean seriously, its ridiculous.

Reactions: kyjeff1
That makes no sense AT ALL. Diallo is EXPECTED to be a lottery pick next year. He has off the charts athletic ability, he is very young and his only glaring weakness is shooting which is the easiest fault to correct. He has great defensive skills with freakish length. Why in gods name wouldn't they be interested now? Spend 12M on him next year of 4M on him this year, hmm......

You may be 100% correct, and Cal may have expected him to be a 1st round draft pick.

IF you're correct (and you very well may be) then Diallo would be dealing with same circumstances whether or not he came to UK for 2nd semester. Cal and UK come out of this smelling like a rose either way. If he goes pro then Cal gets all the credit for getting a player into the 1st round who joined at Christmas and never stepped foot into a game. Cal will talk about how he protected Diallo by not having him face the expected struggles of 2nd semester players. If he's at UK next year then that's a win too.

That's a false analogy and you know it. What you are really saying is a student who does what students are supposed to do and then prospers for it is a good thing. True. I don't think you can associate that with a player who refused to play. But all this Cal fanboy stuff, which is admittedly getting on my nerves, is getting to be too much. I wonder, now that so many of you think it is ok to come to UK and never play, just to get the benefits from being here, is it now ok for players to sit for an entire season? If not, why? Whats really the difference. If a player did do that, do you think Cal would support them? I do. Would you like that as well? If that one is ok, just how many players every season can decide to sit and protect their draft position? Is one ok but four is too many? I'm just wondering where people decide to draw their arbitrary line because once you think it is ok for Diallo, it is difficult for you to justify ever thinking that it is wrong.

You probably won't be surprised to learn that this exact discussion has already been had, on this board, several days ago.

You're intelligent enough to understand that there is a difference between a player coming in on scholarship during the summer/fall and participating in all team activities, vs. someone coming in midseason when everyone else is already up to speed.

You're intelligent enough to understand that the slippery slope argument is ridiculous. Cal has to field a team. Do you think he is going to accept a team full of players who don't play? Of course you don't. Bridge to nowhere, I think you would call this.

Now a player nursing an injury (like Giles was at Duke, or like Vanderbilt could be for us) is a different story.

But it is third grade obvious that no coach will accept a team full of healthy, talented players who refuse to play.

Diallo is the exception that so many of you want to make the rule.

Again, the half year situation was unheard of until now. Want to read a quick quote from Diallo? “I don’t want to go over there and just put on a Kentucky jersey and just play. Just trying to protect me as much as possible." While I can understand wanting to protect the team, it is interesting that he is concerned about protecting himself. In other words, he sat out to protect his draft stock because he was behind. Any normal player would go in when the coach tells him he is ready.

Again, there was a reason he took that stance. He did that cause he could ONLY come for one semester.

Answer my question since I answered yours: what possible reason would a recruit come here at the beginning of the year and not play by choice?

Not the same scenario and I don't think Cal would go for it. Why would he? We've laid out why it might have been the thing to do this time. Now line out why in the hell sitting an entire year would be beneficial for either party?

Reactions: brianpoe and Aike
You probably won't be surprised to learn that this exact discussion has already been had, on this board, several days ago.

You're intelligent enough to understand that there is a difference between a player coming in on scholarship during the summer/fall and participating in all team activities, vs. someone coming in midseason when everyone else is already up to speed.

You're intelligent enough to understand that the slippery slope argument is ridiculous. Cal has to field a team. Do you think he is going to accept a team full of players who don't play? Of course you don't. Bridge to nowhere, I think you would call this.

Now a player nursing an injury (like Giles was at Duke, or like Vanderbilt could be for us) is a different story.

But it is third grade obvious that no coach will accept a team full of healthy, talented players who refuse to play.

This

Reactions: Aike
You may be 100% correct, and Cal may have expected him to be a 1st round draft pick.

IF you're correct (and you very well may be) then Diallo would be dealing with same circumstances whether or not he came to UK for 2nd semester. Cal and UK come out of this smelling like a rose either way. If he goes pro then Cal gets all the credit for getting a player into the 1st round who joined at Christmas and never stepped foot into a game. Cal will talk about how he protected Diallo by not having him face the expected struggles of 2nd semester players. If he's at UK next year then that's a win too.
I don't share your optimistic view of how this situation will be seen.

Again, there was a reason he took that stance. He did that cause he could ONLY come for one semester.

Answer my question since I answered yours: what possible reason would a recruit come here at the beginning of the year and not play by choice?

Not the same scenario and I don't think Cal would go for it. Why would he? We've laid out why it might have been the thing to do this time. Now line out why in the hell sitting an entire year would be beneficial for either party?
For all the same reasons as Diallo. And who says Cal has to agree up front? A precedent has been set.

So many posters on this board concerned about the optics, but the only people whining about this are the handful on this board.

I watched most of the draft combine. Diallo got plenty of exposure, with nary a negative word about how it will look for Cal and UK if he goes.

Most don't have your "rosy" outlook. Might be in the majority on this message board, but most fans aren't on here. Most I know think he should have played, and would have helped win a title.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

I'm really just making a point. I think both scenarios are ridiculous. Diallo even said he was protecting himself. That is only necessary if the draft this year is the real goal. If it isn't then protecting the team is plausible up to a point. It's the coaches job to put guys in when they're ready, not the other way around.

Hadn't heard that one but very consistent with many of his other quotes that gave off a very "me, myself, and I" impression and I don't mean that in bad way, just his goals were personal and didn't seem to involve the team.

Preparing himself for the draft was always the plan, next season at UK was just the consolation prize, but then again it probably is for most...but at least they played first.

Uhhhh those numbers remind me just how overpaid pro athletes are for playing a game but that's a different topic all together.
Anyway either UK gets him back or Johnson to sign on, I can't see Cal missing on both. As I have mentioned before I would rather have Johnson.

Of course you are absolutely right. Cal isn't going to go out and recruit a team of players who don't actually want to play for UK.

Implying that he would diminishes Cal to a caricature of the master recruiter and hall of fame coach that he is.

The thing that I don't understand is that a lot of the people claiming that he doesn't care about UK, he just used UK, etc. are some of the same people who say"I only care about them while at UK." If you don't care about them, why should they care about you?

Most don't have your "rosy" outlook. Might be in the majority on this message board, but most fans aren't on here. Most I know think he should have played, and would have helped win a title.

Didn't you just join today? Signed up to complain? Wow.

I don't post very often, because I'm not very good at it, but I read other post. I would like to comment on both sides of this ongoing argument.
To those of you who believe some of us UK fans are upset, selfish, and crazy, because we believe Diallo should have earned His tuition by playing,let me say this.

If He comes back, He has earned it. If He does stay in the NBA draft, He did not earn it.
There are a few things that can happen. When He is an NBA player, He can return his cost of tuition and other perks that UK has given Him, or so that UK is not discriminatory against all freshman students at UK, the University can either pay or refund the cost of one semester to each freshman that is enrolled at UK.

By the way, it would help their families also.

Troll

OP, I don't think most fans are "upset w/ Diallo", IF he was honest & upfront w/ Coach Cal. If he came in saying "I don't plan to play this spring (which we believe he said), and I probably will/might go do the NBA combine and see where they have me, and if they project me at X, then I may stay in the draft." Then I don't think many would, or would have a reason, to be upset with him. That is the assumption I'm going on.

Now thinking he is making a mistake is different than being upset.
He is a Shooting Guard that has no evidence that he can actually shoot. That would be a BIG risk for an NBA team. Making shots in a workout is very different than making shots in a game. Personally I would be surprised if he went before #25. So in the 25-30 range he is looking at roughly $4-5M over 3 years, that is the ONLY guarantee. Sure there is a risk of injury. The risk of an injury that would prevent him from being drafted I would estimate <1% (certainly <5%). There is also a risk that his performance is underwhelming dropping his draft status, probably 10-20%. I'd estimate the chance that he doesn't improve his draft stock, even though next year's draft is supposed to be much weaker than this year, is another 20-30%. BUT my estimate that he increases his draft stock (in next year's weaker draft) is 50-70%. And a pick in the 5-15 range will get a guaranteed contract 2-3 times as much as what he projects to get this year.
This. I do not think Diallo was as up front about the draft as he should have been. I don't think Cal is happy about it either...but as sone one said above, he will spin it any way he can.

I'm all about UK winning championships. However, I don't want to win them at the expense of using players like property. (Our fanbase takes shots at our adversary to the north of doing this.)

1) On Diallo not playing. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT CAL has advised him to do. Most people who know the process say that playing in the combine is for players who are trying to remove doubt that was created from previous play. (Briscoe is a good example.) Those who say Diallo is afraid to compete are simply showing their incompetence about the process.

2) Cal is 100% correct. He's advised Diallo to go show his strengths with the individual drills, then sit the rest out. If a team wants to take him in the top 20 based on this limited information, then he needs to go.

3) Imagine being Diallo and his family. Here's projected information for the 20th pick.
Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000
Yr 4 - 54.2% increase over year 3.
Do you encourage your son to turn that down to come play a year of college ball and risk injury? I know he could potentially go higher in next year's draft. The key word there is "potentially." Also, the big money is made in the 2nd contract.

4) Back to Cal ... how do you think he'll leverage the Diallo situation with other recruits ; -) The sound bites he'll toss out on draft night will be legendary. This takes the UK effect to another level.

I would love for Diallo to suit up for UK next year. But, I have NO hard feelings if the NBA makes him a deal he can't turn down. He's not afraid to compete. He hasn't used UK.

More power to you, young man. I support you regardless of your decision.
Bump

I don't think I've gone "off the rails." In point of fact, Cal recruited Diallo with the understanding that he (Diallo) wasn't going to play the second half of last season. My own opinion is that Cal, and perhaps others on this site, see Diallo being drafted without actually playing as a positive for the program.

The thinking runs along the lines that we're so player-focused, that players can get to the league by just practicing for a few months with us. The thinking then extends to the idea that great players will want to play for a program like that.

I don't necessarily think that a program so structured can't achieve some measure of immediate gratification. But my issue is with the long-term health of such a program. What do I mean? When I think about our program, it's not the number of titles or Final Fours that makes me happiest, as satisfying as those things are. What makes me love the program is remembering the players, especially those who grew while a part of our team. My fear? That future players will become "faceless" amid an ever-changing roster, some players not actually even playing.

But I'm not going to argue the point. I offered my opinion. If others want to say I've missed the point or don't get it, so be it. Louder doesn't equal more insightful.

Reactions: bballcat4
I don't think I've gone "off the rails." In point of fact, Cal recruited Diallo with the understanding that he (Diallo) wasn't going to play the second half of last season. My own opinion is that Cal, and perhaps others on this site, see Diallo being drafted without actually playing as a positive for the program.

The thinking runs along the lines that we're so player-focused, that players can get to the league by just practicing for a few months with us. The thinking then extends to the idea that great players will want to play for a program like that.

I don't necessarily think that a program so structured can't achieve some measure of immediate gratification. But my issue is with the long-term health of such a program. What do I mean? When I think about our program, it's not the number of titles or Final Fours that makes me happiest, as satisfying as those things are. What makes me love the program is remembering the players, especially those who grew while a part of our team. My fear? That future players will become "faceless" amid an ever-changing roster, some players not actually even playing.

But I'm not going to argue the point. I offered my opinion. If others want to say I've missed the point or don't get it, so be it. Louder doesn't equal more insightful.
You just argued the point.

I'm all about UK winning championships. However, I don't want to win them at the expense of using players like property. (Our fanbase takes shots at our adversary to the north of doing this.)

1) On Diallo not playing. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT CAL has advised him to do. Most people who know the process say that playing in the combine is for players who are trying to remove doubt that was created from previous play. (Briscoe is a good example.) Those who say Diallo is afraid to compete are simply showing their incompetence about the process.

2) Cal is 100% correct. He's advised Diallo to go show his strengths with the individual drills, then sit the rest out. If a team wants to take him in the top 20 based on this limited information, then he needs to go.

3) Imagine being Diallo and his family. Here's projected information for the 20th pick.
Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000
Do you encourage your son to turn that down to come play a year of college ball and risk injury? I know he could potentially go higher in next year's draft. The key word there is "potentially." Also, the big money is made in the 2nd contract.

4) Back to Cal ... how do you think he'll leverage the Diallo situation with other recruits ; -) The sound bites he'll toss out on draft night will be legendary. This takes the UK effect to another level.

I would love for Diallo to suit up for UK next year. But, I have NO hard feelings if the NBA makes him a deal he can't turn down. He's not afraid to compete. He hasn't used UK.

Yea agreed, its not up to us anyways as far coming back and getting an injury because this is how it will definitely go, he isnt looking for just a lottery pick or bust, if he gets any assurance of a first round pick or a garunteed contract, he will not be here next year, and good for him.

If he dosen't like what he hears, he will be back. I GUESS its 75/25 he hears somthing good for him. I was in the camp that wanted Cal to play him while we had him but that is water under the bridge now, i moved on, but i always wished him well nomatter what.

Reactions: Cat78Scot
I stated when this first came about, this situation is dividing Big Blue fans like nothing I have seen in a long time.
Don't take me wrong; I am against any player coming in under these circumstances and then leaving without giving back something in return for the benefits they received.
I cannot blame the young man for trying to make himself a career in the NBA. I hope he makes it. Truly do.

It is just hard for me to accept the "wording" of all what has been said.
Players says he is not ready to contribute; player practices everyday against some of the better athletes in college basketball, using some of the nicest facilities to get himself better. UK could have used another player against UNC; granted who knows how that might have turned out playing this player. But for me, I would have rubbed the coaches ears begging to put me in.
Two weeks after that game, this same player is ready to go against the best of the best from college. That is the only thing that I question.
But for those who keep saying he is going to make a million this year and next, I say you don't know much about money.
First, taxes will take 40%, give or take a few thousand. Then the biggest question no one is talking about, with first year players, it is not that first contract you need to worry about, but that second contract.
Either you produce or go to the D League, take a pay cut or head overseas.
My worry about this kid is many of the so called experts say he is green when it comes to game situations, needs more time to learn the game. If this is true, while he is learning all this, a couple more years of "One and Dones" will be coming along and who knows if one of them might take his spot.
The NBA doesn't allow for too much on the job training. There is always someone trying to take your job.
So he goes to the NBA, makes 1.2 million after taxes for two years, gets sent down to the D League, takes a pay cut, then has to fight for his life to earn a spot on someone's roster. Then what.
There is no easy answer for this young man the way I see it. He is taking a gamble. If he feels he has the tools to make it, then go for it.
I just hope this is not something new that starts in college basketball, "none and done's".
Does anyone really know how good this kid is? I am not taking about his athletic ability, but his game ability.
As much as I hate this, the kid did say he was going to test the waters for the NBA. he did not lie about all this.
How do you know the program did not benefit? Fox, Hawkins and Monk having to practice against Diallo's defense may have been the reason they improved during the last part of the year. Fox especially improved dramatically. Diallo is good friends with Knox and Bamba. Knox may have come to UK because he saw how much Diallo improved in his short time at UK. Who knows if Bamba comes to UK? If he does Diallo might be part of the reason he comes to UK. Who knows how Diallo was treated may be a factor in future recruiting that may have a positive impact for several years.

Reactions: 78Gooses
Not sure which of your questions you're referring to, and I hate getting trolled, but here goes........that young man has had big decisions to make at a young age. To be angry about his choices, right or wrong, is useless. I'm not gonna ask you anything. Heard enough.

Gooses, put him on Ignore like I just did. He loves to hide behind anonymity and talk down to people.....out the other side of his mouth, he says others are arrogant. I'm guessing he's about 11 years old.

I don't think many, if any of the BBN would disagree with you about wishing players would stay longer. That was already happening well before Diallo with Cal and the current NBA - PA collective bargaining agreement.

There isn't much we can really do about it other than be thankful that these players that only stay one year appear to all still fall in love with UK and their fans. There have only been a couple that didn't.

Reactions: skycorbuk
I don't think many, if any of the BBN would disagree with you about wishing players would stay longer. That was already happening well before Diallo with Cal and the current NBA - PA collective bargaining agreement.

There isn't much we can really do about it other than be thankful that these players that only stay one year appear to all still fall in love with UK and their fans. There have only been a couple that didn't.

I do think Cal is a great leader of the program. The proof really is in the pudding. Former players almost unanimously feel they are part of the BBN family, and that's a wonderful part of rooting for the Cats. I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I watch whenever one of our own is involved, which is becoming more frequent over time. UK is really changing more than just the college landscape.

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

2) Cal is 100% correct. He's advised Diallo to go show his strengths with the individual drills, then sit the rest out. If a team wants to take him in the top 20 based on this limited information, then he needs to go.selfish and crazy to expect

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

fans are not the selfish and crazy to expect a player who accepts a scholarship to actually play for the school if you don't want to risk injury then don't take the scholarship wait till your old enough and go straight to the nba don't just sit on the bench to avoid injury getting coached up and playing against nba level talent who used who if he had played last year i would have no problem with it

Oh God. Theres the injury excuse again. Why even have the sport? You know football players..(250 pound men colliding at full speed) have to play 3 years before they go, but basketball players cant play one. Again, why even have the sport? Anyone close to draftable cant play because they might get injured. Lets just have a bunch of 5'9 white boys throwing up bricks in college ball then. I mean seriously, its ridiculous.

Here is an example of a troll whiner trying to fan the flame.

It becomes a question of risk you are compelled to take. You pick up a little girl in a burning house and run through walls of flame to rescue her, it's one thing. Just grab some kid off the street and start running walls of flame, you are a dumbass.

Some risks you are compelled to take. Some dumbasses take stupid risks. I mean seriously, it's ridiculous.

Key "asked". He came to UK because out of the 3 schools he was speaking with Cal is the only coach that said he doesn't have to play unless he wants to. Cal had everything to gain if Diallo came back & absolutely ZERO to lose if he doesn't.

Cal has shown with his treatment of Diallo, especially his involvement with him now & seeking to protect him...that he truly can be trusted to do what's right for players. Parents of elite recruits are seeing this. The guy truly cares about the kids he coaches.

Fans like you are just clueless as to the dividends UK will reap because of this in the future....just like you were clueless on draft night in 2010 when Cal knew what that draft was going to do with recruiting.

And who knows, Diallo may end up playing at UK next fall afterall.
Clueless on draft night?

He wasn't even supposed to be on the team this year. Thus coming in half way isnt that terrible. And, he wasnt playing at super star level when he arrived. Not to mention there is a slim possibility he returns.

I agree Top 15 makes much more sense.

I would like to nominate certain posters for he witness protection program...
As far as I'm concerned, he isn't on the team. Why wouldn't he support his"teammates'" by playing in the NCAA when they needed him the most. Getting a free ride for nothing. I had to pay for my education.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
As far as I'm concerned, he isn't on the team. Why wouldn't he support his"teammates'" by playing in the NCAA when they needed him the most. Getting a free ride for nothing. I had to pay for my education.

Seriously? Start late and play his first college basketball at the dance? Sure, we've always done that, right? Are you bitter about tuition or your education?

That makes no sense AT ALL. Diallo is EXPECTED to be a lottery pick next year. He has off the charts athletic ability, he is very young and his only glaring weakness is shooting which is the easiest fault to correct. He has great defensive skills with freakish length. Why in gods name wouldn't they be interested now? Spend 12M on him next year of 4M on him this year, hmm......
Here is a question do you have any point you make that isnt speculation? Yet you speak like you are stating facts. It is what trolls do. A fan says things like I think and in my opinion. Here is a Fact. Mo Bamba is a recruit worth a heck of alot more than what it cost UK to have Diallo as a practice players. Fact a one and done recruit's goal like any one wanting to make money at what they love is to start doing so as quickly as possible. Fact social media and cell phones have made it to where alot of these recruits communicate with each other daily. Fact Mo Bamba is a friend of Diallo. Fact he is well aware we are stepping up to help Diallo and help him realize his dreams fastest. So are many other recruits who we will be recruiting. Fact we have opposing coaches negatively recruiting against us and have used this message board against us.

Now you can debate that Diallo did something wrong and Cal was took advantage of or he is helping make it worse I don't care. Diallo did practice with us and it is common knowledge that practicing against better players makes you better so he did help the team. He is also helping us get Bamba and most likely what Cal did will be noticed by other recruits as well. Instead you act like a guy is actually going to come in and sit the whole season. Well here is a little some for you as you bash Diallo and potentially endanger us getting a guy who is a game changer and a big key to us winning a championship. A few words from Bamba about Diallo https://www.google.com/amp/amp.masslive.com/v1/articles/19977137/mohamed_bamba_kentucky_guard_h.amp

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT