ADVERTISEMENT

UK fans who are upset with Diallo are selfish and crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballcat4

Junior
Jan 12, 2008
I'm all about UK winning championships. However, I don't want to win them at the expense of using players like property. (Our fanbase takes shots at our adversary to the north of doing this.)

1) On Diallo not playing. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT CAL has advised him to do. Most people who know the process say that playing in the combine is for players who are trying to remove doubt that was created from previous play. (Briscoe is a good example.) Those who say Diallo is afraid to compete are simply showing their incompetence about the process.

2) Cal is 100% correct. He's advised Diallo to go show his strengths with the individual drills, then sit the rest out. If a team wants to take him in the top 20 based on this limited information, then he needs to go.

3) Imagine being Diallo and his family. Here's projected information for the 20th pick.
Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000
Yr 4 - 54.2% increase over year 3.
Do you encourage your son to turn that down to come play a year of college ball and risk injury? I know he could potentially go higher in next year's draft. The key word there is "potentially." Also, the big money is made in the 2nd contract.

4) Back to Cal ... how do you think he'll leverage the Diallo situation with other recruits ; -) The sound bites he'll toss out on draft night will be legendary. This takes the UK effect to another level.

I would love for Diallo to suit up for UK next year. But, I have NO hard feelings if the NBA makes him a deal he can't turn down. He's not afraid to compete. He hasn't used UK.

More power to you, young man. I support you regardless of your decision.

I'm all about UK winning championships. However, I don't want to win them at the expense of using players like property. (Our fanbase takes shots at our adversary to the north of doing this.)

1) On Diallo not playing. THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT CAL has advised him to do. Most people who know the process say that playing in the combine is for players who are trying to remove doubt that was created from previous play. (Briscoe is a good example.) Those who say Diallo is afraid to compete are simply showing their incompetence about the process.

2) Cal is 100% correct. He's advised Diallo to go show his strengths with the individual drills, then sit the rest out. If a team wants to take him in the top 20 based on this limited information, then he needs to go.

3) Imagine being Diallo and his family. Here's projected information for the 20th pick.
Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000
Do you encourage your son to turn that down to come play a year of college ball and risk injury? I know he could potentially go higher in next year's draft. The key word there is "potentially." Also, the big money is made in the 2nd contract.

4) Back to Cal ... how do you think he'll leverage the Diallo situation with other recruits ; -) The sound bites he'll toss out on draft night will be legendary. This takes the UK effect to another level.

I would love for Diallo to suit up for UK next year. But, I have NO hard feelings if the NBA makes him a deal he can't turn down. He's not afraid to compete. He hasn't used UK.

Cal and his staff asked the kid if he wanted to play. He turned them down. He's getting a full ride for not playing. He should've gone to a technical school instead.

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

Agree 1000% well done.

Reactions: csrupp and _Rooster

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

^ Homerism at it's worst.

Cal and his staff asked the kid if he wanted to play. He turned them down. He's getting a full ride for not playing. He should've gone to a technical school instead.

Key "asked". He came to UK because out of the 3 schools he was speaking with Cal is the only coach that said he doesn't have to play unless he wants to. Cal had everything to gain if Diallo came back & absolutely ZERO to lose if he doesn't.

Cal has shown with his treatment of Diallo, especially his involvement with him now & seeking to protect him...that he truly can be trusted to do what's right for players. Parents of elite recruits are seeing this. The guy truly cares about the kids he coaches.

Fans like you are just clueless as to the dividends UK will reap because of this in the future....just like you were clueless on draft night in 2010 when Cal knew what that draft was going to do with recruiting.

And who knows, Diallo may end up playing at UK next fall afterall.

If you sign on with UK to play basketball then by gawd play basketball while you are here or don't come.Some of you make it seem like the NBA draft is a one time take it or leave it proposition,it's not,if he is all that and a bag of chips he will be a millionaire next year.

Somewhere in the second round vs maybe in top 15 seems like an easy choice and what is best for the kid and the university.

It is like Diallo came to UK to enter the witness protection program or hide out for 6 months

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

Amen, brother!

Reactions: bballcat4
If you sign on with UK to play basketball then by gawd play basketball while you are here or don't come.Some of you make it seem like the NBA draft is a one time take it or leave it proposition,it's not,if he is all that and a bag of chips he will be a millionaire next year.

Somewhere in the second round vs maybe in top 15 seems like an easy choice and what is best for the kid and the university.

It is like Diallo came to UK to enter the witness protection program or hide out for 6 months

He came to get better. If there were no age restriction none of these guys would come to UK.

Not, I sure miss the Tubby days [eyeroll]

Thank you....I think we'd all like to see him play, but if he can make over a million dollars a year how can you blame him? He might be able to make more as a lottery pick next year, but we don't know his family situation. They might need the money now.

For those of you who think he "owes" UK something, please turn in your fan card. He doesn't "owe" us anything.

Would you rather of him not come to UK, and him have zero shot of returning? It was a harmless gamble. He didn't take anyone's scholarship, and didn't prevent us from getting any recruits.

Horrible thread title....I appreciate your reasoning and you make a good argument. There is another equally logical counter argument about why this situation is not good for the long term health of the program. It's not "crazy" to respectfully think differently then you on this polarizing situation.
Why do you think politics is so f$@#%> because nobody listens to other people's arguments and admits they are legit they just name call and a scream at each other.

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

What an arrogant post. I'm glad you cleared everything up for we morons.

He wasn't even supposed to be on the team this year. Thus coming in half way isnt that terrible. And, he wasnt playing at super star level when he arrived. Not to mention there is a slim possibility he returns.

I agree Top 15 makes much more sense.

I would like to nominate certain posters for he witness protection program...

OP how dare you make sense.
However, all the people on here who expect kids to do things they themselves wouldn't dare do will continue to spew their hot garbage and be hypocrites.
There is that word again,I don't see anything hypocritical about how some here view the Diallo situation.Some are fine with it some are not most everyone has been in the same camp since January.

Diallo took advantage of a situation that existed because of his age,he had every right to do that,Cal either assisted him in doing that or rolled the dice and took chance that UK would get some on court value from him,that could still happen.

There is nothing selfish or crazy about being opposed to a player coming to a school for half a year as a stop over on his way to the NBA.If this had happened at any other school (particularly a big rival) then 90% of the board would be crucifying the player,the coach and the school.(the remaining 10% would be making fun of them)Therein lies the hypocrisy if any exists

Last edited:
He wasn't even supposed to be on the team this year. Thus coming in half way isnt that terrible. And, he wasnt playing at super star level when he arrived. Not to mention there is a slim possibility he returns.

I agree Top 15 makes much more sense.

I would like to nominate certain posters for he witness protection program...
I've been trying to get in for years,they won't take me:sunglasses:

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

Yeah but only Cal said it was up to Diallo.

Yeah but only Cal said it was up to Diallo.

I think you guys are discussing 2 separate situations.

Cal said it was up to Diallo if he wanted to play during the season. Cal obviously did not advise him not to play this past season, because Cal said he asked him if he wanted to.

As to the combine, Cal said if they will draft you high without showing anything, dont show them.

“Coach Cal just respected my decision that I wanted to sit out for the semester and just get better,” Diallo said. “He respected that and told me whenever I feel like I’m ready, and if I wanted to play I could just come and talk to him about it. For right now, we’re just sticking to the plan of me sitting for the semester and getting better on the court and competing with these guys in practice.”

"When Diallo originally told Coach Cal that he was thinking about enrolling early, Calipari figured he wanted to play right away. Instead, Diallo made the choice because he wanted to push himself on the court and get a head start the following year with a semester of weight training, basketball, classes and knowledge under his belt."

http://www.coachcal.com/43281/2017/02/meet-the-wildcats-diallo-patiently-waiting-for-his-time/

I think you guys are discussing 2 separate situations.

Cal said it was up to Diallo if he wanted to play during the season.

As to the combine, Cal said if they will draft you high without showing anything, dont show them.

Brian yes that is the advise Cal offered up. I just hate he may end up in the D league. My guess, is he either is promised a first round pick or he is coming back. Have you ever seen a promise that couldn't be broken? Thanks for the other paragraph.

Reactions: _Rooster
Brian yes that is the advise Cal offered up. I just hate he may end up in the D league. My guess, is he either is promised a first round pick or he is coming back. Have you ever seen a promise that couldn't be broken? Thanks for the other paragraph.

I'm not sure he is coming back even without the 1st Round guarantee.

The kid will struggle in the D League, at least at first. Grown men there playing for their families, won't be easy.

He wont see the D League if he waits for next year's draft.

Thanks,I enjoy civil discussion on this(and just about any UK sports) subject.I do feel that this has the potential to end less than favorably for Diallo,UK and Cal,I hope that will not be the case.

Cal will spin it.

He always does...

Look what he did with the Derek Rose taking his SAT in Detroit situation, we now have distance learning at every college.

Camby taking money early from agents...? Cal created the Payday Loan industry...

Man is a genius.

Cal will spin it.

He always does..;

Look what he did with the Derek Rose taking his SAT in Detroit situation, we now have distance learning at every college.

Camby taking money early from agents...? Cal created the Payday Loan industry...

Man is a genius.
Could Cal be president and the UK basketball coach at the same time?I really don't see a conflict there:D

Hope he stays in the draft and we get Cam Johnson. This is the best scenario FOR UK.

It may be, but it seems Cal disagrees; are we are waiting to accept Cam's acceptance on Diallo's decision?

Diallo is a much better defender and slasher. Cam is a way better shooter but has much to do to better his overall game.

There is a reason Cam is still in college. If he had the skill level some on here think he does, he would be long gone to the draft at this size.

He had a great game vs UNC in Durham. He also managed about 5 points total in 2 games vs UL and 1 versus Duke.

Reactions: _Rooster
I'm not sure he is coming back even without the 1st Round guarantee.

The kid will struggle in the D League, at least at first. Grown men there playing for their families, won't be easy.

He wont see the D League if he waits for next year's draft.

I think by now how he must trust Coach Cal. The minute he hires an agent that ends any hope of his return. I believe he gathers info sits down with Cal and talks it out before the 24th. He needs to announce a day before is that correct? Anyway I agree if he waits until next year he wont see the D league!

Yr 1 - $1,301,900
Yr 2 - $1,360,400
Yr 3 - $1,419,000

OP, I don't think most fans are "upset w/ Diallo", IF he was honest & upfront w/ Coach Cal. If he came in saying "I don't plan to play this spring (which we believe he said), and I probably will/might go do the NBA combine and see where they have me, and if they project me at X, then I may stay in the draft." Then I don't think many would, or would have a reason, to be upset with him. That is the assumption I'm going on.

Now thinking he is making a mistake is different than being upset.
He is a Shooting Guard that has no evidence that he can actually shoot. That would be a BIG risk for an NBA team. Making shots in a workout is very different than making shots in a game. Personally I would be surprised if he went before #25. So in the 25-30 range he is looking at roughly $4-5M over 3 years, that is the ONLY guarantee. Sure there is a risk of injury. The risk of an injury that would prevent him from being drafted I would estimate <1% (certainly <5%). There is also a risk that his performance is underwhelming dropping his draft status, probably 10-20%. I'd estimate the chance that he doesn't improve his draft stock, even though next year's draft is supposed to be much weaker than this year, is another 20-30%. BUT my estimate that he increases his draft stock (in next year's weaker draft) is 50-70%. And a pick in the 5-15 range will get a guaranteed contract 2-3 times as much as what he projects to get this year.

Reactions: blugreg and kyups01
We really needed another Diallo thread.Couldn't you have posted this in one of the other 52 Diallo threads?

I wonder what the record for threads on a certain player is?Diallo might win the title for it.:joy:

Far as I concerned his scholarship could have went to one of thousands of poor working Students who are struggling, and who will never have the opportunity afforded to Diallo.
And frankly, I'm getting sick of this narrative about his family needing the money. If that was the case, why the he'll didn't he spend a year over seas playing, instead of wasting our team and university's time and money?

Perhaps he does ultimately come back and thus is a mute point, but I'm getting sick of the sock puppets on here continously suggesting that we're the selfish ones, and telling us how we should feel. If he doesn't come back, he used Kentucky without contributing to the team. That's the definition of Selfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT