ADVERTISEMENT

UK-Auburn Sunday Doubleheader

Kentucky wins the game with a strikeout. 13-3 win to take the series. That's two series wins against top 10 teams.

Good bounce back win this afternoon. Cats need to take care of business in the midweek tilt and then be ready when they travel to Tuscaloosa next weekend. Have to take that series.

Reactions: RogerIndy
UK brought on Ramsey to close it out after Brad struggled a bit. Not sure what's up with Coleman. Might be a question for Ming tomorrow.

Didn't catch too much of today's DH, but looking back at the 2017 season, we have the exact same record 17-7, as this time last year. Only difference, we were 5-1 in the SEC, this year we're 2-4.

Reactions: Black Diamond Cat
What is going on with Thompson even though I thought the pitchers did well ? That first inning turned out to be the reason the CATS lost that game only scoring one run on a walk.

Kendall Rogers of D1 Baseball previously reported that Thompson has a flexor strain. Sounds like he's not on the cusp of returning just yet.

What is going on with Thompson even though I thought the pitchers did well ? That first inning turned out to be the reason the CATS lost that game only scoring one run on a walk.

As someone else said, flexor strain. Will be out a bit and I imagine that UK won't throw him back to starting immediately. He'll come out of the pen until he gets right.

I don't think we saw Carson Coleman at all this weekend. Is he ok?

It looks like Belanger is grooming Haake as the interim weekend starter. I don't think he did too bad. Schaenzer didn't do well and even Machamer got beat up. It is a good thing that we are hitting well because we are dead last in pitching in the SEC by a long margin. The ERA difference between Kentucky and LSU is 0.91. If you took that difference and applied it to LSU's average, you'd leapfrog 5 other teams. Ole Miss is sitting at less than half the ERA of Kentucky.

I don't think we saw Carson Coleman at all this weekend. Is he ok?

It looks like Belanger is grooming Haake as the interim weekend starter. I don't think he did too bad. Schaenzer didn't do well and even Machamer got beat up. It is a good thing that we are hitting well because we are dead last in pitching in the SEC by a long margin. The ERA difference between Kentucky and LSU is 0.91. If you took that difference and applied it to LSU's average, you'd leapfrog 5 other teams. Ole Miss is sitting at less than half the ERA of Kentucky.

Headrick mentioned Coleman but didn't indicate that he'd been injured.

Mach pitched well for the one inning and we just may not be able to get more than one out of that. It happens sometimes with closers.

However, you're obviously right overall. Pitching is basically a disaster. As I said before, we don't really have a single arm that we can fully trust at any point and that includes starters. Now, much of that in regards to the bullpen is a product of having basically all new guys in there. Hopefully a few arms begin to emerge and pur weekend guys begin to settle in like we know they can.

I'm very surprised at our pitching so far. Really thought it would be a strength. Both of our aces (Lewis and Hjelle) have not exactly been good, Thompson has been injured, and the bullpen has been an unmitigated disaster. Probably lucky to have the results that we have. Hopefully Ming can pull things together on the mound...

Good series win, guys. That lineup y'all have is downright scary. Thought we'd have a chance to win the series if we could win Friday night, but we just couldn't hold on. Good luck to y'all the rest of the way.

Good series win, guys. That lineup y'all have is downright scary. Thought we'd have a chance to win the series if we could win Friday night, but we just couldn't hold on. Good luck to y'all the rest of the way.

That's just the SEC, especially on the road.

Auburn strung together a lot of hits to beat UK in game two. In all honesty, I think that is a weakness of Kentucky's offense. They rely heavily on the long ball or on opponent mistakes. Both of our walk offs were not from sac flies or hits but from wild pitches. That's just luck.

Auburn has some good talent out there. The freshman on Sunday was an interesting pitcher. Seems like he'd be a great middle relief guy, or even a closer, that would throw off hitters with his leg kick.

Reactions: DufnerFanBoy
That's just the SEC, especially on the road.

Auburn strung together a lot of hits to beat UK in game two. In all honesty, I think that is a weakness of Kentucky's offense. They rely heavily on the long ball or on opponent mistakes. Both of our walk offs were not from sac flies or hits but from wild pitches. That's just luck.

Auburn has some good talent out there. The freshman on Sunday was an interesting pitcher. Seems like he'd be a great middle relief guy, or even a closer, that would throw off hitters with his leg kick.

Yeah, our issue at times is the lack of power in clutch situations. We have to mostly rely on stringing hits together to have good innings and haven't done that very well since SEC play started. We had a few chances with bases loaded and less than 2 outs over the weekend to have big innings and couldn't capitalize. But that's baseball I guess.

The freshman pitcher is going to be good. We toyed with the idea of using him as a closer, and our current closer (also a freshman) is currently out. Had we needed him in the first game of the double headed Sunday, he would've thrown in relief to try and seal a win. He has a lot of potential and doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but his misses are too good and he gets behind in counts too often. Really good stuff, just needs some refining. Kinda reminds me of Mize as a freshman.

And on your power, you may not string together hits as well as you'd like, but your threat of power seems to affect pitching staffs, especially in your park. I thought it bothered us all weekend. No one outside of Mize seemed comfortable throwing to your lineup. To me, that's a sign of great respect. Dawson was about the only guy that didn't scare me from a power perspective, and he probably had 5-6 hits on the weekend, including that big double that kept the game alive in game one Sunday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT