ADVERTISEMENT

UK All-Time Draft Playoffs Rupp'sRunts vs. JHannibalSmith

Who would win head to head?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome to the 2nd round and participating in the 1st All-Time UK Draft and now Playoffs

The goal of the draft was to assemble a roster from 1974-75 team to present day.

Voters please vote on the team you think will win head to head. Your vote will be public and you will be allowed to change your vote if the debate changes your mind.

Playoff Bracket https://challonge.com/UKDraft

@Rupp'sRunt - D. Fox, D Cousins, Doron Lamb, Devin Booker, Andre Riddick, Keldon Johnson, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson, Perry Stevenson, Hami Diallo

@JHannibalSmith - Ron Mercer, Sam Bowie, Dirk Minniefield, Kelenna Azubuike, Walter McCarty, Mark Pope, Jim Master, Jimmy Dan Conner, LeRon Ellis, Larry Johnson

Reactions: BigTyrone
Starting Lineup

PG - Dirk Minniefield 6-3, 180
All-SEC 81, 82 & 83; All-SECT & SECT MVP 82

SG - Kelenna Azubuike 6-5, 220
All-SEC 2005; All-SECT 2004 & 2005

SF - Ron Mercer 6-7, 210
1st Team All-American 97; SEC All-Freshman 96; All-NCAAT 96 & 97; All-SEC 97; SEC POY 97; All-SECT & SECT MVP 97; NCAA All-Region 97

PF - Walter McCarty 6-10, 230
All-SEC 95 & 96; All-SECT 96

C - Sam Bowie 7-1, 235
2nd Team All-American 81; All-SEC 80, 81 & 84; All-SECT 80; NCAAT All-Region 84

Bench

PG - Larry Johnson 6-3, 185
All-SEC 77

SG - Jimmy Dan Conner 6-4, 185
All-SEC 73 & 75; NCAAT All-Region 75

SG - Jim Master 6-5, 180
All-SEC 82 & 83; NCAAT All-Region 83

F/C - Mark Pope 6-10, 235
Pac-12 ROY 92; Pac-12 All-Freshman 92; All-SECT 95

F/C - LeRon Ellis 6-10, 225
All-SEC 89

I had a certain vision in mind when drafting this team & did my best to not only get the best players but also players who would fit my plan & play well together. At least, IMO. I wanted experienced, well-rounded, versatile players who were skilled offensively & defensively. I also made sure to have ample size & length at every position & plenty of speed & athleticism.

I think this team would be at its best in an up & down game, playing relentless, harassing defense & pushing the ball at every opportunity, offensively. But, there’s also enough versatility & experience to adapt & play well in any style of game. 9/10 players were All-SEC at least once & 8/10 made an All-SECT Team or an All-NCAAT Team (or both) at least once so they step up & play their best in the biggest games.

Every player would be considered capable, at least average shooters for their position with most being above average to automatic. I have elite scorers at all 3 levels. This should be a great passing team as well, led by UK’s all-time assist leader, Dirk Minniefield. They are really good interior passers, too, & I think a high-low game with McCarty & Bowie would be beautiful basketball.

I like his team too so I’m not gonna try to minimize what he has. I’m just listing my team’s strengths & their ability to play & win in any type of game. All of our teams are insane & a case could be made for each one to win this.

My team is basically a UK fans wet dream.

De'aaron Fox is lightning quick, great vision to see the floor and has the ability to finish against anyone at the hole. Him getting to the rim with he ability to kick to Booker or Lamb off the drive is basically free points. Lamb shot 50% from 3 while at UK. Booker shot 42%. D Fox also only the 2nd player to ever get a triple double at UK.

Heres the time he dropped 40 in the sweet 16 and abused London Ball.

A fun Booker highlight reel to show he's more than just range.

Remember when Doron Lamb was the clutches shooter in UK history and dropped 22 points in the championship game to win it for us? I do

Booker and Lamb also have insane ability to create off the dribble as defenders will have to respect their jumpers.

Oh they're covered? Unfortunately Fox dropped it off to Boogie who just pounded an and 1. Cousins is the greatest offensive center UK has ever had. The kid had a mean streak and will finish on anyone. Do I Really need to sell someone on Cousins? Didn't think so. Heres fun highlights just in case.

Andre Riddick is here to play the solid D needed to protect the post. He was the leading shot blocker in UK history before AD came along. If you get too chippy with him and Cousins your team is liable to be in a brawl.

My bench is ripe with depth and length.

Backup PG Andrew Harrison 6'6 and length with ability to guard 1-3

Backup SG Hami Diallo 6'5 long guard with insane athleticism

Backup SF- Keldon Johnson a 6'6 wing that shot 38% from 3 and can guard any wing. A true 3 and D

Backup PF Perry Stevenson. Again lengthy PF that can protect the paint. Tough enough to not transfer away from crazy BCG

Backup C- Dakari Johnson a true 7 footer that can score with his back to the basket and is a great back up compliment to cousins.

In closing, Ive got the thunder and lighting that with Fox and Cousins will produce 2010 like highlights. Paired with the greatest shooters UK has ever seen and a bench deep as hell. This team shouldn't have a problem out scoring Jhannibals at all.

Last edited:
I've liked runt's team from the get-go, and as much as it hurts to see dirk, big sam's run come to an end, it stops here. RR's crew in a close one.

Reactions: Rupp'sRunt
I've liked runt's team from the get-go, and as much as it hurts to see dirk, big sam's run come to an end, it stops here. RR's crew in a close one.
giphy.gif

Idk about no problem outscoring me. I’ll give you Fox over Dirk. Lamb is a better shooter than Azubuike but Azubuike is better in every other phase. Mercer & UK Booker isn’t even a conversation. This isn’t NBA Booker. Riddick was a great defender but a major liability offensively; he’s not in the same universe as McCarty. Cousins & Bowie are a wash. You have zero bench scoring. Like I said, I do like your team, though. But, I can’t see a bunch of FR & SO having no problem outscoring my team. Or defending my team.

You have zero bench scoring. Like I said, I do like your team, though. But, I can’t see a bunch of FR & SO having no problem outscoring my team. Or defending my team.
My bench is filled with athletes that can all D up and drive. Having Keldon out there as a 38% 3pt shooter is good enough to keep you honest, while Hami and Andrew can drive on your back up guards easily. Your bench just on pure athleticism wouldn't be able to hold my bench at all. And with rotation I can always leave one of Lamb or Booker on the court to help the benches outside shooting if need be. I can't emphasize enough how money Booker and Lamb are. We don't win the ship without lamb shooting a blistering 50% in BACK TO BACK season proving its not a fluke. Booker plays more against Wisconsin in 2015 we probably walk away with 40-0 season.

Andrew Harrison gets no love for taking back to back teams to Final Fours and championship appearances. He may not be sexy but he's long and won't turn the ball over and a great isolation basketball player.

Hami Diallo the potentially most athletically gifted player to walk through UK's doors. A higher vertical than monk and a high motor, was probably the best on his team defensively.

There’s no denying your bench is more athletic. Mine is more skilled. But, like you mentioned leaving in Booker or Lamb, I’m not doing wholesale substitutions either & would plug in guys as needed.

Larry Johnson & LeRon Ellis were very good athletes & JDC wasn’t Flash but he wasn’t in concrete shoes either. Master wasn’t very athletic but was 6-5 & an elite shooter. Pope wasn’t overly athletic either but was a great shooter for a big & was an extremely smart player. He was good enough to have a 10 year NBA career.

I’d just go zone anytime Hami & Keldon are in. They can both have any shot they want outside 12-15 ft. Hami can defend but his offense scares nobody unless he’s on a breakaway. KJ had a cpl great shooting games but was very inconsistent by & large despite the 38%. One of the more frustrating players of the Cal era, IMO. He certainly didn’t live up to the hype or his HS ranking. I’m with you on Harrison, though. He’s definitely undervalued. He was solid running the team & was a capable shooter/scorer when he needed to. At 6-6 he’s a matchup problem.

Your team would be awesome defensively but there are just too many guys who offer nothing offensively. I love all those guys but Stevenson, Riddick, Hami & to an extent KJ struggle mightily to score outside of 3 ft & aren’t very good at creating their own shot to compensate. I think that & the lack of experience would be the difference.

I agree that Booker should’ve played more & would’ve made a difference against UW. He was playing well. I would’ve liked to see him at the 3 instead of going big with Lyles. I didn’t get it that whole season. Booker never really had enough court time to get going & that’s tough on shooters. I mean, he had some big games but he needed 25-30 min/game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT