ADVERTISEMENT

UK All-Time Draft Playoffs JHannibalSmith vs. drcats2013

Who would win head to head

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DraftCat

Senior
Nov 5, 2011
Welcome to the Semi-Finals and participating in the 1st All-Time UK Draft and now Playoffs

The goal of the draft was to assemble a roster from 1974-75 team to present day.

Voters please vote on the team you think will win head to head. Your vote will be public and you will be allowed to change your vote if the debate changes your mind.

Playoff Bracket https://challonge.com/UKDraft

@JHannibalSmith - Ron Mercer, Sam Bowie, Dirk Minniefield, Kelenna Azubuike, Walter McCarty, Mark Pope, Jim Master, Jimmy Dan Conner, LeRon Ellis, Larry Johnson

@drcats2013 - Tayshaun Prince, Rex Chapman, Shai Gilgeous Alexander, Jamal Magloire, Scott Padgett, Tyrese Maxey, Trey Lyles, Daniel Orton, Kyle Wiltjer, Dominique Hawkins

I thought the last OT was just us settling that game & the winner didn’t advance. It’s not fair for @drcats2013 to have to play another semifinal. We didn’t do the 2nd OT til after the 3-way semifinal was over. If we had started it soon after the 3-way voting started it wouldn’t have mattered. But, I wouldn’t feel right if I won now & @drcats2013 is eliminated after already winning a semifinal. I tried to withdraw on day 1 of the 3-way semifinal to make it a 1v1 game but the poll stayed up. Just switch my team out with @420grover & do the championship now. That’s the fair thing to do IMO.

I thought the last OT was just us settling that game & the winner didn’t advance. It’s not fair for @drcats2013 to have to play another semifinal. We didn’t do the 2nd OT til after the 3-way semifinal was over. If we had started it soon after the 3-way voting started it wouldn’t have mattered. But, I wouldn’t feel right if I won now & @drcats2013 is eliminated after already winning a semifinal. I tried to withdraw on day 1 of the 3-way semifinal to make it a 1v1 game but the poll stayed up. Just switch my team out with @420grover & do the championship now. That’s the fair thing to do IMO.
Man don’t worry about it. None of this was your fault. Vote your team and let’s play it out. If you win you deserve it guilt free, brother.

Hell no I'm not doing anymore changes. Either you win or lose going forward no more withdraws if you don't want to participate your team loses or moves on without ya

It’s not like I WANTED to withdraw. Our game turned into a circus & everybody else was paying the price for it so I offered to do it so things would move forward instead of coming to a screeching halt. My bad.

It’s not like I WANTED to withdraw. Our game turned into a circus & everybody else was paying the price for it so I offered to do it so things would move forward instead of coming to a screeching halt. My bad.

I understand but I'm assuming there is not going to be a circus going forward. Just participate win or lose and pray the next draft goes smoothly.

Ooo man, this is tough. Hannibal has a more dynamic and athletic starting lineup, but I feel like drcats has a stronger bench and would maybe have better chemistry. I’ll have to think about this one and hear their arguments before voting.

This game would be a tossup, IMO. Both in 1v1 matchups & team play. The individual matchups would be really interesting. Starters AND bench. Breaking it down player for player it’s as even as it gets. He has a really nice team & I still regret passing on Rex, lol. I think he has the better backcourt & I have an advantage in the front court. I think Prince & Mercer is a push bc each has advantages over the other. We both have a lot of size & length. Both teams have players who are really good on both ends & would probably fit well together in real life.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
I think tayshaun and shai présent really unique and difficult matchup challenges in this one.

it was close but that was ultimately the reason I went with Drcats.

I could probably be swayed one way or another however depending on the debates.

I think tayshaun and shai présent really unique and difficult matchup challenges in this one.

it was close but that was ultimately the reason I went with Drcats.

I could probably be swayed one way or another however depending on the debates.

No question Shai’s length is a problem. Dirk is a little quicker, stronger & wiser but SGA is a better scorer & better defender bc of his length but Minniefield was a good defender too. The experience factor closes the gap some too, IMO, but SGA still gets the nod & is a matchup nightmare.

Prince’s length is also an issue for Mercer but I think Prince would struggle with Mercer’s quickness & kinda even out that one. There would be plenty of give & take in that matchup. I think McCarty’s length & athleticism would be a problem for Padgett as well to offset SGA’s advantage. We both have edges here & there but a lot of the matchups are very close. I’d go Rex over Azubuike but it wouldn’t be one sided. I’d take Bowie over Magloire but it would be competitive, too. The bench matchups are more of the same.

No question Shai’s length is a problem. Dirk is a little quicker, stronger & wiser but SGA is a better scorer & better defender bc of his length but Minniefield was a good defender too. The experience factor closes the gap some too, IMO, but SGA still gets the nod & is a matchup nightmare.

Prince’s length is also an issue for Mercer but I think Prince would struggle with Mercer’s quickness & kinda even out that one. There would be plenty of give & take in that matchup. I think McCarty’s length & athleticism would be a problem for Padgett as well to offset SGA’s advantage. We both have edges here & there but a lot of the matchups are very close. I’d go Rex over Azubuike but it wouldn’t be one sided. I’d take Bowie over Magloire but it would be competitive, too. The bench matchups are more of the same.

SGA has a height advantage on Dirk but he's not backing him down in the post or shooting 3s over him. Minniefield has a clear advantage over freshman SGA to me. Rex would be counted on to create all the offense. Rex isn't really a guy a creates for his teammates. One of my favorites all time and he would put up some points.

The story is Bowie. He doesn't have to give Magloire much attention on the defensive end. Bowie is putting up 30 in this one. Magloire was a good defender but he isn't clamping big Sam down.

SGA has a height advantage on Dirk but he's not backing him down in the post or shooting 3s over him. Minniefield has a clear advantage over freshman SGA to me. Rex would be counted on to create all the offense. Rex isn't really a guy a creates for his teammates. One of my favorites all time and he would put up some points.

The story is Bowie. He doesn't have to give Magloire much attention on the defensive end. Bowie is putting up 30 in this one. Magloire was a good defender but he isn't clamping big Sam down.
Shai averaged over 5 assists per game so I do not understand where you’re coming from here. He has the 8th best single season in UK history, just ahead of Minniefield. You may want to rethink your point here.

Starters:
PG- Shai Gilgeous Alexander
SG- Rex Chapman
SF- Tayshaun Prince
PF- Scott Padgett
C- Jamal Magloire

Bench:
Tyrese Maxey
Trey Lyles
Daniel Orton
Kyle Wiltjer
Dominique Hawkins

What can I say, I like my team. I have length, shooting, and great defense.

I have two guys that can get me buckets anytime I need one with Chapman and Prince, and a point guard in Shai that is so versatile and can compete with any PG in UK’s history. In Magloire, I have a rim protector and hard nosed leader. I have a power forward that is an absolute winner and clutch performer in Padgett. Maxey as my sixth man is as good as it gets, and I have great size and shooting on my bench.

Copied and pasted from my previous semifinal lol. Felt no need to redo anything, as it’s again the same round against the same opponent, just one less.

Shai averaged over 5 assists per game so I do not understand where you’re coming from here. He has the 8th best single season in UK history, just ahead of Minniefield. You may want to rethink your point here.

I don't believe Alexander is breaking Minniefield down off the dribble. Not as a freshman at UK. In a hypothetical matchup I just can't see the UK version of SGA impacting the game much against Minniefield. Alexander was better than expected but l think he is even with Minniefield at the very best.

Reactions: drcats2013
From dec 29th on shai was pretty dominant.

averaged16.4, 4.5, 5.5 and nearly a steal and a half a game while shooting over 50 from the field, 40 from 3 and 80 from the free throw line.

Once he took over point guard for good from Quade he was every bit as good as John wall and De Aaron Fox. Sophomore Ulis is probably the only point guard in the Cal era with better overall numbers.

From dec 29th on shai was pretty dominant.

averaged16.4, 4.5, 5.5 and nearly a steal and a half a game while shooting over 50 from the field, 40 from 3 and 80 from the free throw line.

Once he took over point guard for good from Quade he was every bit as good as John wall and De Aaron Fox. Sophomore Ulis is probably the only point guard in the Cal era with better overall numbers.
Shai is definitely one of the most underrated players of the Cal era. I do think his NBA dominance will have people looking back and rethinking just how good he was. The problem was he just didn’t have a very good team around him.

PG Dirk Minniefield 6-3
SG Kelenna Azubuike 6-5
SF Ron Mercer 6-7
PF Walter McCarty 6-10
C Sam Bowie 7-1

PG Larry Johnson 6-3
SG Jimmy Dan Conner 6-4
SG Jim Master 6-5
F/C LeRon Ellis 6-10
F/C Mark Pope 6-10

I don’t really know what to say bc he has a really good team & there aren’t any obviously dominant matchups to exploit. I do think my team’s best bet would be to play fast & try to capitalize on the speed & quickness advantage at the 3-5 positions. One of my team’s strengths, IMO, is that I think they fit very well together & would be a cohesive unit with skill on both ends. But, his team is well constructed too & would likely play great together & has plenty of ammo on both ends. So, that advantage is kind of negated.

I think both teams are versatile & could play any style of game at a high level, as well. But, I think an up-tempo game favors me & he has the edge in a half court game. Hopefully my guys could speed him up & cause havoc & foul trouble & wear down his bigs a little. SGA was great in his one season here but I’d pressure the hell out of him & hope to rattle the freshman & force turnovers. Those would be my biggest keys to a win, IMO. He did a great job building a complete team & doesn’t have many weaknesses to expose. I could see it going to 7 games in a series.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT