ADVERTISEMENT

UCF Football Campus

Cat_Man_Blue

Sophomore
Jan 5, 2003
Since I have lived in Orlando most of my life I keep up with UCF. UCF's expansion and renovation plans look amazing. While UK has top notch facilities, I am a firm believer in the the belief that you can't rest on your laurels. I feel that if you don't already have plans for future facilities upgrades, you are already behind. When it comes to college football facilities, it truly is an arms race. Anyway take a look at this.

Since I have lived in Orlando most of my life I keep up with UCF. UCF's expansion and renovation plans look amazing. While UK has top notch facilities, I am a firm believer in the the belief that you can't rest on your laurels. I feel that if you don't already have plans for future facilities upgrades, you are already behind. When it comes to college football facilities, it truly is an arms race. Anyway take a look at this.

It's just a proposal at this point and it would cost UCF 130M. In our current environment, I can't imagine it will be approved.

Thanks for the link. Btw, I went down a rabbit hole from there looking for “Florida Man” articles 😛

It's just a proposal at this point and it would cost UCF 130M. In current environment, I can't imagine it will be approved.
$130 Million could be raised by charging each UCF student approximately $200 per semester and it would be paid off in 5 years. One of the benefits of having the largest student body of any school in America. And that would not include any funds provided by boosters, the athletic department, the state or school administration. In other words, not unthinkable in today's environment .... even if unlikely.

$130 Million could be raised by charging each UCF student approximately $200 per semester and it would be paid off in 5 years. One of the benefits of having the largest student body of any school in America. And that would not include any funds provided by boosters, the athletic department, the state or school administration. In other words, not unthinkable in today's environment .... even if unlikely.
Good luck with that.

Reactions: gojvc
I don't know, UGA has just finished up near 200m of renovations plus an indoor facility. Didn't have any issues getting approval and funding.
I looked. It was approved and started before covid was known. The contracts were in place. Right now would be a different story.

If I was a paying parent, I'd be asking why my kid needs to pay 800 over 4 years for longterm infrastructure improvements. I paid my own way at UK. I'd have been pissed.

Same reason our government thinks our taxes need to be spent on Trillions of dollars of infrastructure, because they say so, even though it’ll probably go to all their paychecks

Reactions: KYCAT78
I looked. It was approved and started before covid was known. The contracts were in place. Right now would be a different story.
Might work out that way, but funds were gathered pretty quick. Of course fans were really excited about the program. Now maybe not, but if Kirby were able to win a NC he would be able to get a nothing he wanted. But the same could be said for any program.

Reactions: UKat1
I live about 75 miles from UCF and it is a very impressive university. I doubt people who are not familiar with Florida know much about the school but raising $130 million will not be difficult and it probably can be accomplished without an increase in tuition.

I think the image of some is that UCF is not much more than a small school just a little above a community college. The "little" school confers over 17,000 degrees each year and the entering student has a GPA average of 4.1 with 335 of them Merit Scholars. It has an enrollment of 71,948. They will raise the money.

Reactions: UKat1
I live about 75 miles from UCF and it is a very impressive university. I doubt people who are not familiar with Florida know much about the school but raising $130 million will not be difficult and it probably can be accomplished without an increase in tuition.

I think the image of some is that UCF is not much more than a small school just a little above a community college. The "little" school confers over 17,000 degrees each year and the entering student has a GPA average of 4.1 with 335 of them Merit Scholars. It has an enrollment of 71,948. They will raise the money.
I live 10 miles from the UCF campus. Although it is a huge university that has significantly expanded and developed into a comprehensive school with many programs, it's stadium is not of SEC caliber and needs some upgrades. I don't have statistics but the university has a significant feel of a very large commuter school and it lacks the college atmosphere that is found at UK, UGA or UF (yes I have been on their campus numerous times recently) Much of that has to do with being located in a large, tourism driven city. In order for that to change, UCF WILL need to join a P5 conference so they will be seen with more credibility. They should have been picked up by a P5 conference already. If the Big 12 wants to survive, they should pick up UCF.

That would NEVER happen. Trust me on this. No President of a university is going to mandate a student fee that goes solely to the construction of a football practice facility. Not happening.

bthaunert suggests : "That would NEVER happen. Trust me on this. No President of a university is going to mandate a student fee that goes solely to the construction of a football practice facility. Not happening."

A couple of things. First, it was posed as a possibility, not that it would happen. However, students already fund, in part, athletic departments all over the country. With names such as Student Activity Fees, the proceeds come from assessments (usually per semester hour) and are distributed to a variety of things at a school ... things such as Black Student Unions and other specific groups, intramural sports and other activities, AND the athletic program at the school.
At another large university in Florida, FIU (Florida has 4 of the 10 largest universities in America .... UCF, USF, UF, FIU), students already pay over $14 per credit hour for activity fees, AND an additional $16 PER CREDIT HOUR WHICH GOES EXCLUSIVELY TO THE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. The board is voting on whether to raise the portion going to the athletic department. The idea is not as far-fetched as it might seem.

Seems odd for a school that has an endowment of only 155 million.

bthaunert suggests : "That would NEVER happen. Trust me on this. No President of a university is going to mandate a student fee that goes solely to the construction of a football practice facility. Not happening."

A couple of things. First, it was posed as a possibility, not that it would happen. However, students already fund, in part, athletic departments all over the country. With names such as Student Activity Fees, the proceeds come from assessments (usually per semester hour) and are distributed to a variety of things at a school ... things such as Black Student Unions and other specific groups, intramural sports and other activities, AND the athletic program at the school.
At another large university in Florida, FIU (Florida has 4 of the 10 largest universities in America .... UCF, USF, UF, FIU), students already pay over $14 per credit hour for activity fees, AND an additional $16 PER CREDIT HOUR WHICH GOES EXCLUSIVELY TO THE UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. The board is voting on whether to raise the portion going to the athletic department. The idea is not as far-fetched as it might seem.
I know how fees work very well having negotiated fees a number of times in my professional career.

Of course universities have fees that go to the athletic department, but the student body gets something in return, usually free or reduced tickets. Fees also have a number of things associated with them as far as what they can and cannot be used for. I am telling you right now, no university would ever pass a fee that specifically went to the building of a football complex.

As another said, I believe it's wasted money unless they join a P5 conference. With the SEC realignment and possible Pac12, B10 and ACC agreement, mid majors will be left out of the big TV dollars, imo. Without a cut of those funds, hard to believe a school can make money on football.

I'm not sure. I think the sports bubble may be getting ready to burst.
Exactly. At some point you reach a level where there aint much else you can do to sweeten the facilities. Everybody's got state of the art workout rooms, lounges with the biggest screens and leather recliners that massage you while you play video games, Hydro this and that, stadium capacities more than enough with all everything the fans need (except the leather massage chairs) and on and on. What's left - emotional support animals?

Reactions: ukgrad2004
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT