ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro

Herro was not the problem last night. Those kids from Duke were in a zone and played hungry and angry. And on top of that, they are extremely good. They played relaxed and didn't force much. When they did they made ugly plays turn into buckets.

Our plays turned into quick shots or turnovers which led to Duke running.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Riddle me this. Outside of Johnson, just who wasn’t a ‘defensive liability’ last night? I gotta hear this one.
This isn't based solely on last night. It goes back to the exhibition games too. The thread is about Herro. That's why I spoke about him specifically.

KJ and Hagans are the best defenders out of the new guys at this point.

Cal has not put him in a position to succeed. Double screens and so forth to get him some shots and get into the flow of the game. They are all playing bad so it doesn't really matter.
Yes I agree. Although I was surprised at how many terrible contested shots we just jacked up. It was almost like hey give me the ball I haven’t shot it in the last two minutes and I’m damn well going to get mine.

Took a couple HORRIBLE threes late in the first when we had a little momentum and a chance to get within 10 .. I mean unreal choices . I was pissed off already and ready to hang his ass at that point .

He was trying to make a big shot to get us going. He is best three point shooter on team and waited awhile before he put up a shot. Keep trying to feed the post.

I am sure he got anxious.

Any thoughts on Quade?

NO, he looks like NEITHER of those things.

Our fans have been severely overrating this kid based upon what they "want" him to be, rather than what he really is.

Did you post when he hit 5 of 7 threes the other night?

Obviously, Dook beat our ass to take shots at Herro bc of that and downplay his skills now is a clown move.

NBA scouts love him. Just hope we can keep him for two years.

He was trying to make a big shot to get us going. He is best three point shooter on team and waited awhile before he put up a shot. Keep trying to feed the post.

I am sure he got anxious.

Any thoughts on Quade?

I assume you are right , but his shot selection had been so terrific in the 6 previous games . was just maddening to see him throw up 2 really bad ones when we had a flicker of momentum . He took 2-3 dribbles to his off hand going left and took a three , then took a contested three very early in the possession and missed both , duke adds 4-5-6 points off those and 12 went to 16 or 18 in 30 seconds or less .. anyway Quade ? too small to play the 2 , ok player , just not good enough to really push IQ or Hagans off the point . Seems to be so set on being seen as " the guy" when he just needs to fit in .. rushes shots , has tendency to try to do too much.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Next Rex, right?
What was Rex freshman stats?

Herro lead the team in every statistical category except points (14). A mildly athletic guard led the teams in rebounds over guys like PJ, EJ, RT, and NR. That shouldn’t happen.

He didn’t have a great shooting game. But he is the least of our worries after the other night.

Last edited:
PJ, Quade, & Nick laid eggs tonight and people want to bash our least heralded freshman who led us in boards & assist. Makes sense.

Agree. Tyler forced several shots early in that game and he will learn from it. As a comparison I remember a certain Dukie guard (who just graduated) and was talented but threw several temper tantrums over his career—and who played significant minutes in Dukes championship run as a freshmen—and Tyler has much more upside and ability to play in the NBA!! People need to be patient with Tyler, Ashton, EJ and Quickley as they will be big contributors come March!

Agree. Tyler forced several shots early in that game and he will learn from it. As a comparison I remember a certain Dukie guard (who just graduated) and was talented but threw several temper tantrums over his career—and who played significant minutes in Dukes championship run as a freshmen—and Tyler has much more upside and ability to play in the NBA!! People need to be patient with Tyler, Ashton, EJ and Quickley as they will be big contributors come March!

Dont really have anything to argue or disagree with you about but there is a certain mantra thats used here on a daily basis and it gets old .. " wait til March " I'm so over waiting til march .. I want to say "Eff March" can be good the other 4months of the year also ? We are the leader of the pack , or at least we claim to be .. every day I read " wait til March " I'm exhausted from that excuse and all the others as well .

Dont really have anything to argue or disagree with you about but there is a certain mantra thats used here on a daily basis and it gets old .. " wait til March " I'm so over waiting til march .. I want to say "Eff March" can be good the other 4months of the year also ? We are the leader of the pack , or at least we claim to be .. every day I read " wait til March " I'm exhausted from that excuse and all the others as well .

And I certainly understand that, and I don’t like the mass “one or two and done thing” either!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT