ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Herro and the NBA

Tyler can improve in each of these areas and he probably will. My point is that I just don't think he's ready for the pros right now. The good thing for him is that this is just my opinion, which amounts to nothing in his world. He'll make the choice that he believes in.

I think he could definitely benefit from another year. I completely agree with that but Booker could've also. Worked out well for him. Nobody thought he was going to leave after a single season. We know the NBA drafts on potential and the modern NBA loves players like Tyler. So, Id be really shocked if he were to come back.

Hmm, let's see here, Booker was

-Better Shooter
-More Athletic
-Better Passer
-Better Driving the lane
-And on and on......
giphy.gif

Reactions: UKCATSFREAK
Herro is the best NBA prospect on this team and will be an outstanding NBA player. He'll be playing with better players, more space on the floor, can shoot the ball, and knows how to play. He's the only guy off this roster I'd want if I were an NBA team and Magic and Pelinka were there last night to watch him--not PJ or Keldon who are harder to project to NBA game with the lack of ball skills.

One thing I am in minority is down the stretch of a game late--I'm playing through Herro and not Washington on this team. Give me a 95% FT shooter when opponent is in double bonus and let him decide my fate. Instead no FT attempts, no shot attempts, and taking a L with an 8 pt lead 3 minutes left. Cal thinks PJ Washington is the best player in the country, I think he's not even the best player on this year's UK team.
Speak the truth brother!

Do you really know anything about the game of basketball, he is so far ahead of Booker at this point.

I don’t think he’s ahead of Booker at this point. Booker was surrounded by more elite talent. He also should’ve played ahead of Aaron Harrison but Cal stuck with experience. And Cal even admitted he should’ve played Booker and Ulis ahead of the Harrison’s. Booker showed, at times, things you can’t teach, that separate star players from average talent. I’ll aleays love the twins cause they played here and represented us well. But IMO they were overrated and didn’t live up to the hype. Booker was a better talent and player, and Ulis was a better PG. But Cal is stubborn towards certain players sometimes.

The last three minutes of the game he did not touch the ball. I guess his team mates did not have confidence in his shooting. The kid should come back but he won't. He has been a great freshman player and I understand he wants the millions. But I guess he will develop more in the NBA system than under Calipari. So he is gone

I'm not a fan of how Cal runs offense. It's my biggest criticism but I also think he's delusional about PJ Washington's abilities. Hopefully it ends up with he/PJ smiling under confetti, but it's so vital to understand who is your best player and to play through them. It's unconventional for Cal but Herro has shined since August trip to Bahamas and he's the guy who makes this team go. To play in double bonus and leading FT shooter in country doesn't get ball and attempts no FT's and gets no FGA's? That's inexcusable.

I'm not a fan of how Cal runs offense. It's my biggest criticism but I also think he's delusional about PJ Washington's abilities. Hopefully it ends up with he/PJ smiling under confetti, but it's so vital to understand who is your best player and to play through them. It's unconventional for Cal but Herro has shined since August trip to Bahamas and he's the guy who makes this team go. To play in double bonus and leading FT shooter in country doesn't get ball and attempts no FT's and gets no FGA's? That's inexcusable.

Interested in your thoughts on Calipari as a coach and if you believe he will win another title at UK.

And how much longer you think he'll be at Kentucky.

Don’t you think that’s a little on Herro too?

The last three minutes of the game he did not touch the ball. I guess his team mates did not have confidence in his shooting. The kid should come back but he won't. He has been a great freshman player and I understand he wants the millions. But I guess he will develop more in the NBA system than under Calipari. So he is gone

You have to have a pg that gives you the ball before you can touch it. Hagans needs to look for Herro more.

Reactions: KeepingItReal74
Interested in your thoughts on Calipari as a coach and if you believe he will win another title at UK.

Recruiting - very good
Developing/improving elite talent - good
Game prep - average
In-game management - fair
Win another title - doubtful

Reactions: HedgeCat9
He will go. It happens every year. I hate the way this works and I wish it wasn’t this way. But I’m a lifelong Cat fan so I’ll deal with it and hope we win every game we play.
Yeah, this is where I’ve been for a couple years now. I hate it and it’s exciting all at the same time.

Not sure-these guys all love that $$$ and when they say they are "tired" or "only got a few years left" someone reminds them how easy they have life and to STFU and enjoy it. LOL

As for the NC--think he keeps them contending, they can get another one. They could this year if he can avoid Duke.

You have to have a pg that gives you the ball before you can touch it. Hagans needs to look for Herro more.
Said it since the Vandy home game. People blew up at the notion. Here we are now and it’s costing up tourney games now. It may be the very issue that ends the season too.

Its a non-offensive offense, offensive rebounding is our only saving grace.
Cal needs to go back and count how many baskets PJ has made shooting left handed the last several games, not many and that's what everyone is forcing now.
Not using your best weapons down the stretch is a weakness of Cal

Its a non-offensive offense, offensive rebounding is our only saving grace.
Cal needs to go back and count how many baskets PJ has made shooting left handed the last several games, not many and that's what everyone is forcing now.
Not using your best weapons down the stretch is a weakness of Cal

It's frustrating to see them play uptempo/aggressive to take back a game's momentum--when Tennessee had gone up 4 in 2nd--UK pushed the ball and immediately hits Herro for a 3 in transition off made basket to cut it to 1 and then went on a spurt where everyone played aggressively and took good shots--which aren't rushed-but in the flow--be it Montgomery, Richards, and then--back to the walk it up stuff....

Cal's loyalty is biggest strength but also biggest weakness. He talks of what he sees his players can be.....but they aren't. That is like a parent's blinders. PJ has greatly improved and grown but this "Best player in country" talk is absurd. Ignoring his sketchy FT shooting as if it's going to change with experience...it won't. Players are what they show...and if you only have them 1/2 years max in majority of cases, you play through what you see, not what you hope happens.

sometimes he ain't open...wtf, he probably has the most minutes played. He has had the longest leash all season, Cal has said repeatedly he has to shoot the ball. But, "Cal is holding him back".
I understand as fans, it is easy to relate and get locked in on one player...but in general, this board takes that over the top

sometimes he ain't open...wtf, he probably has the most minutes played. He has had the longest leash all season, Cal has said repeatedly he has to shoot the ball. But, "Cal is holding him back".
I understand as fans, it is easy to relate and get locked in on one player...but in general, this board takes that over the top

You're right and didn't say he was held back, said they need to play through him late instead of forcing the team to play through PJ Washington. I've seen that and how it ends...and it's not going to be good enough. Try something else and biggest shots of the season have been hit by Herro--sadly many coming off broken plays, bobbles or fumbled ...where Herro bails them out with a 3 off a broken play.

Reality for me is game/season on the line, go with the guy who can shoot and is your best player over the guy you are only person in room that thinks he's best player in country and doesn't have a great history of handling pressure well. PJ is more apt to make a putback off a Herro miss--or get a dunk because they run 2/3 at Herro to make Cal look correct then anything good happening if you play through him.

Thought I read last week that Herro was the only one READY for the NBA.
if he
You're right and didn't say he was held back, said they need to play through him late instead of forcing the team to play through PJ Washington. I've seen that and how it ends...and it's not going to be good enough. Try something else and biggest shots of the season have been hit by Herro--sadly many coming off broken plays, bobbles or fumbled ...where Herro bails them out with a 3 off a broken play.

Reality for me is game/season on the line, go with the guy who can shoot and is your best player over the guy you are only person in room that thinks he's best player in country and doesn't have a great history of handling pressure well. PJ is more apt to make a putback off a Herro miss--or get a dunk because they run 2/3 at Herro to make Cal look correct then anything good happening if you play through him.
didn't many get pissed as hell when Herro got the last shot against the first Bama..

He’s like most Cal recruits. Hang around campus a few months and leave. I’m more concerned with why he chose to disappear yesterday. He does that occasionally, but hopefully he doesn’t do that in the big dance.

He isn't ready (but will go and get drafted) because he is too easy to control. He is not explosive enough versus great athletes and the NBA is full of great athletes. He is no Devin Booker. Hope he comes back and develops his game better.

If the NBA says he’s ready, he’s ready. They know far more than we do. I’d be shocked if he’s not a 1st round pick. I disagree on he’s no Devin Booker. At this stage, he is every bit as good as Booker was as a freshman.

Reactions: slam21 and majgun
Cal struggles with in game adjustments. He gets so anal and tense that I don’t believe he can recognize what needs to be done. That is where good assistants come in and I am not sure about our staff and their in game abilities. Our offense is horrid and we can be very easy to guard when the opponent is quicker and just as talented. I wish we could get back to the final four but this group has me doubting. Hagans is to erratic. Missed 3 open layups against Tenn.

One more year I think he could jump a lot of spots in the draft. Passing by far his weakness but also getting locked down at times. One more year would get him a little stronger and a little better moving without the ball.

He’s like most Cal recruits. Hang around campus a few months and leave. I’m more concerned with why he chose to disappear yesterday. He does that occasionally, but hopefully he doesn’t do that in the big dance.
Well, when the strategy is to pound it inside, that kind of puts Herro at a disadvantage.

Reactions: slam21
He's gone this is Kentucky. Ready or not.

Then u guys will hate Duke or UNC getting all the love on ESPN and them winning Championships

College matters to them can't hate them for covering the teams that want to play in college UT players wanted to come back. They smacked Herro around again today.
Nobody smacked Herro around.

Go wash your mouth out with soap

Reactions: Chuckinden
Do you really know anything about the game of basketball, he is so far ahead of Booker at this point.
Really........Booker played sparingly his freshman year and Herro gets play alot more..But you could tell Booker had it..Herro cant even get off a shot on his own...Herro aint going nowhere.

Really........Booker played sparingly his freshman year and Herro gets play alot more..But you could tell Booker had it..Herro cant even get off a shot on his own...Herro aint going nowhere.
Sure hope you are right! But you are sure wrong about him being unable to get a shot on his own, because that is pretty much all he does. He gets very few solid screens. The kid makes mistakes like all players, but he has plenty of moxie and shot making ability!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT