ADVERTISEMENT

DJ, Reed, Thiero and one of the three bigs

Dec 10, 2023
Bob's Country Bunker
That would be a solid core coming back and I see the chances of it as over 50%. Even 3 of the four coming back would be a great start.

Maybe even Burks. I think he'll decide who's coming in to take his minutes before tansferring, if he even does that.

If you are done with Cal, you'll want Wagner to leave because there's zero chance Cal leaves unil he has Wagner prepared for the NBA IMO.

Last edited:
Every year someone gets their hopes up on returning plays. You might get Theiro and a big.

Reactions: blubo
Maybe even Burks. I think he'll decide who's coming in to take his minutes before tansferring, if even even does that.
Could do himself a world of good by working on the weights over the summer and returning but I understand because of transfer portal kids can disappear in the blink of an eye.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
Cal is going to push as many of these guys out the door as possible to make room for his fresh crop.
Stability And sustainability at UK is not part of his plan.

Why do you think other programs keep major contributors but we do not?

Reactions: ck-2 and blubo
Reed is not a top 10 pick I don't care where the projections have him. He is likely late to at very best mid 1st rounder tho. He would make nearly as much money returning. REED is 50/50 . Wagner is also 50/50 if his game stays like it is. He has some good gsmes to finish an he thinks he be in 1stcrd he goes.

Thiero almost for certain returns

Reeves, Mitchell, RD0, Edwards are 100% gone
Reed, Wagner, Bradshaw(Brafshaw will transfer) ,Z. Are about 50/50

Ugo , Thiero, Burks I feel nearly certain they return.

Every year you guys think everyone is leaving, and almost every year 4-5 return. Even few who were projected draft picks, at least 1 1st rounder.
So which 4 or 5 are returning then? Which 4 or 5 returned last year. I'm glad you can hang your hat on Wheeler, Jacob Toppin, CJ Fredrick, Daimion Collins and Lance Ware returning one year.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: IrishMike409
Every year you guys think everyone is leaving, and almost every year 4-5 return. Even few who were projected draft picks, at least 1 1st rounder.
Wagner and Reed are gone, the guys who return are ones who aren’t first round picks or near it.

Reed is not a top 10 pick I don't care where the projections have him. He is likely late to at very best mid 1st rounder tho. He would make nearly as much money returning. REED is 50/50 . Wagner is also 50/50 if his game stays like it is. He has some good gsmes to finish an he thinks he be in 1stcrd he goes.

Every nba draft person has him as a lottery pick, he is gone if he a lottery pick which he is

Lottery is top 14 and that's where he's projected. If that stays true he is gone.
I'm sure he dreamed of playing at UK but he also dreamed of playing in the NBA and getting that kind of paycheck to do it, he won't pass up on.

I think there’s a good chance we keep Reed, Burkes, Thiero, Ugo, & someone else in the rotation. Dilly is gone for sure and Wagner is very likely. Z & Bradshaw will be the ones who we’ll have to wait and see on. Would love to have either back.

I can actually see Wagner staying. He is still just 18 years old. He has not been right physically a big portion of this season. He has been the featured lead guard his whole life but Sheppard and Dillingham have been better than expected and crowded him off the stage a bit. His family trusts Calipari to do what it takes to have him ready and in the best light for the NBA.

I believe Wagner is a far better athlete and basketball player than he has shown this season. I think the NBA agrees. He could be the most improved player in the country next year.

I can actually see Wagner staying. He is still just 18 years old. He has not been right physically a big portion of this season. He has been the featured lead guard his whole life but Sheppard and Dillingham have been better than expected and crowded him off the stage a bit. His family trusts Calipari to do what it takes to have him ready and in the best light for the NBA.

I believe Wagner is a far better athlete and basketball player than he has shown this season. I think the NBA agrees. He could be the most improved player in the country next year.

That's exactly how I see it. He'll look like a totally differet player next year with a year of experience and a summer to work on his shot and develop more. I think his family is smart enough to get him to come back and get a solid contract after next year.

If Reed was from a different state and his father wasn’t a UK legend, then sure…he’s gone. But his situation is unique and I think there is a solid chance he returns.

We will need some 'veterans' because this will be the last year of the covid super seniors.

Just looking at the rosters around the SEC - Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, Georgia, LSU, Ole Miss, South Carolina, and Texas A&M can all return potentially 4-5 such players, not counting regular seniors. Counting those, Auburn could return 9 seniors next year for instance.

If a team is willing to draft DJ in the first round they need to fire their GM.
He’s a long way from a lottery pick regardless of his ankle injury.

Unlike most here, I don't know which players will return for next season. But I'll be pretty happy if five (5) of these (or from these groups) return: Sheppard or Wagner or Dillingham, Thiero, Burks, Onyenso or Big Z, and Hart.

Now, I'm going to want UK to bring in a few of the best transfers also, to go along with the incoming freshmen. But if that happens, I feel like UK will have a chance to be one of the top teams again.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT