Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
Quade
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

This is obviously an exercise for fun/discussion. It'll change after game 3 again. I know, I know. Hagans is more talented than Quade. By the time the season starts or maybe partially through the season, I don't doubt Hagans will start.

I think the other 3 spots are looking pretty locked in.

Then you've got 3 players vying for 2 spots. So far through 2 games, we've seen Herro is a special scorer. He can get his own shot. He can catch and shoot. He can drive. I thought he might contribute 6-8 points a game, and now I'm thinking he might lead the team in scoring. Back to back games makes me think this isn't just catching fire. For now, I'm slating Herro into the 2 guard slot.

So that leaves PG for Hagans/Quade. If the question is who is more talented--no doubt in my mind it's Hagans. But through 2 games, Quade Green has 8 assists to 2 turnovers. He's shown the ability to knock down shots both last year and tonight.

Game 1:
Quade: 2 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover
Hagans: 7 points, 1 assist, 2 turnovers

Game 2:
Quade: 10 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover
Hagans: 4 points, 1 assist, 2 turnovers

Average:
Quade: 6 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover
Hagans: 5.5 points, 1 assist, 2 turnovers

So far, Quade is doing a great job of taking care of the basketball with a 4:1 assist/turnover ratio. I think Cal values that, and Quade starts the year.

What's your starting 5?

Reactions: KentuckyCat420
Hagans
Quade
Johnson
Washington
Richards

I like having Herro off the bench. There's something to having some bounce and offensive prowess coming off the bench. We saw a prime example of this in Darius Miller. Hagans balances Quade's defense well, and you're still bringing an offensive weapon in Herro and a stud in Travis off the bench. Quickley and EJ are solid off the bench as well. I think this provides balance.

Hagans
Quade
Johnson
Washington
Richards

I like having Herro off the bench. There's something to having some bounce and offensive prowess coming off the bench. We saw a prime example of this in Darius Miller. Hagans balances Quade's defense well, and you're still bringing an offensive weapon in Herro and a stud in Travis off the bench. Quickley and EJ are solid off the bench as well. I think this provides balance.

This could well end up being it. It makes a lot of sense to have an elite scorer come in and provide an offensive spark.

This could well end up being it. It makes a lot of sense to have an elite scorer come in and provide an offensive spark.

I have no problem with him starting, and I think Travis plays starter's minutes despite not starting, but I really like offense off the bench. They both provide that. Sometimes bringing in that fresh threat five minutes into the game disrupts an opposing team's rhythm, or stops them from getting into rhythm.

I agree about having offense off the bench is nice, but as far as offensive prowess Herro >>>>>> Darius Milller. Dudes an aggressive, pure scorer. Darius is one of my all time favs, his greatest value was all around game. They’re two different players as well, Miller a 3/4 combo and Herro a 2/3.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I agree about having offense off the bench is nice, but as far as offensive prowess Herro >>>>>> Darius Milller. Dudes an aggressive, pure scorer. Darius is one of my all time favs, his greatest value was all around game. They’re two different players as well, Miller a 3/4 combo and Herro a 2/3.

I think the potential is certainly there, but I still think Miller is the ultimate 6th man. Herro very well may live up to or exceed that, but Miller was phenomenal. Herro is probably more talented on the offensive end, but I try to temper my expectations until more games are played.

PG- Ashton Hagans
SG- Quade Green
SF- Keldon Johnson
PF- PJ Washington
C- Nick Richards

PG- Immanuel Quickley
SG- Jemarl Baker
SF- Tyler Herro
PF- Reid Travis
C- EJ Montgomery

Which team would win if they played? I honestly dont know. Both are elite groups. Platoon!

Reactions: G-PIP
Quade
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

This is obviously an exercise for fun/discussion. It'll change after game 3 again. I know, I know. Hagans is more talented than Quade. By the time the season starts or maybe partially through the season, I don't doubt Hagans will start.

I think the other 3 spots are looking pretty locked in.

Then you've got 3 players vying for 2 spots. So far through 2 games, we've seen Herro is a special scorer. He can get his own shot. He can catch and shoot. He can drive. I thought he might contribute 6-8 points a game, and now I'm thinking he might lead the team in scoring. Back to back games makes me think this isn't just catching fire. For now, I'm slating Herro into the 2 guard slot.

So that leaves PG for Hagans/Quade. If the question is who is more talented--no doubt in my mind it's Hagans. But through 2 games, Quade Green has 8 assists to 2 turnovers. He's shown the ability to knock down shots both last year and tonight.

Game 1:
Quade: 2 points, 5 assists, 1 turnover
Hagans: 7 points, 1 assist, 2 turnovers

Game 2:
Quade: 10 points, 3 assists, 1 turnover
Hagans: 4 points, 1 assist, 2 turnovers

Average:
Quade: 6 points, 4 assists, 1 turnover
Hagans: 5.5 points, 1 assist, 2 turnovers

So far, Quade is doing a great job of taking care of the basketball with a 4:1 assist/turnover ratio. I think Cal values that, and Quade starts the year.

What's your starting 5?
I like your 5 - can we really afford to play a point guard who can't shoot at all?

Kind of surprised I'm not seeing this lineup:

Quade
Herro
Washington
Travis
Richards

Quade
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Richards
This. Swap Quade and Hagans once Hagans gets it, but this is the starting lineup right now.
I hate the "scorer off the bench" mentality. That element of surprise only lasts for a couple of minutes in the first few games of the season. Eventually everyone is going to know his impact and will scheme for that.
Play your best players, run what you brung. Eventually he's going to sub out and come back in off the bench, so those that want him to come off the bench would just have to wait until 10 minutes into the game to get their fix.

Last edited:
Reactions: lkc1234
Until Reid kicks it up a notch here is your starting lineup.

Green or Quickley
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Richards

Reactions: KyLegacy
I think the potential is certainly there, but I still think Miller is the ultimate 6th man. Herro very well may live up to or exceed that, but Miller was phenomenal. Herro is probably more talented on the offensive end, but I try to temper my expectations until more games are played.
Will Herro be able to get shots off against tough D?

That is the big question about him in my mind.

Sure have loved what I have seen from him up to this point though. So here's hoping.

My opinion on Travis is on hold.(role).........sometimes he plays like a fifth year Freshman.
Was he coached at Stanford?? ..indecision in the paint..dribble in traffic..weak hands.
Seems to me that the Freshmen are adjusting faster..or maybe they're just have much
more talent.

Reactions: kyjeff1
My opinion on Travis is on hold.(role).........sometimes he plays like a fifth year Freshman.
Was he coached at Stanford?? ..indecision in the paint..dribble in traffic..weak hands.
Seems to me that the Freshmen are adjusting faster..or maybe they're just have much
more talent.

He is going through a completely knew system and He's used to being the man. It will take him time to settle and he's still active and rebounding. Richards is not the answer in this role and in time people will see that when competition gets fierce.

He is going through a completely knew system and He's used to being the man. It will take him time to settle and he's still active and rebounding. Richards is not the answer in this role and in time people will see that when competition gets fierce.

I agree. Richards is vastly improved but will he regress like he did last year during SEC play? All the skills are there but he simply lacked the confidence due to not having played the game but for a few years. I love his improvement but Reid would be my choice.

What more does Herro need to do to show you people he is a centerpiece of this team?

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Pj
Reid

Do you want to win the damn title or not?
Exactly. But some of us think he's a 6th man. Is it because he's a white dude? I think so, because if he were black, there wouldn't be a single person saying he's a 6th man.
He's our best player right now.
He's outperformed Keldon Johnson, but everyone has KJ in their starting 5. Same with Quade.

Not disagreeing on your post........just saying the same is true with all Freshmen,
used to being the "man" and learning a new system,,,and the Fr. are adjusting faster.
Maybe because they have more skill or have been better coached.

What more does Herro need to do to show you people he is a centerpiece of this team?

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Pj
Reid

Do you want to win the damn title or not?

Play a few more games, though it is trending as you state...

Depends on if he wants to run the offense through post. You need Herro with RT or Richards for spacing but I think you have to give him major minutes regardless. Hopefully on the 3 at PG will step up and claim it.

more talent.
I agree, so far he hasn't really blown me away, but he's a proven commodity, so I'll wait a while and see, but so far he has been getting blocked a lot and struggles to score on anyone with size.

Reactions: poppycat
I don't see how you leave Travis off the starting 5. He's a freaking 5th year SENIOR. Same with Hagans and his defense. Herro is almost a must have but he could come off the bench and play 20 minutes. Richards and Travis together would intimidate most teams inside.

Hagans
Herro
Reid
Richards
KJ

Reactions: morgousky
I don’t think Quade is really in the conversation for PG minutes. Cal wants him to be a scorer, thus he implored him to keep shooting on Wednesday.

Quickley
Green
Johnson
Washington
Richards.

Probably will change a little into the season. 3 Soph. and 2 freshmen.

I think Travis will eventually take Richard's starting spot, but early on Cal will not mess with his confidence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT