ADVERTISEMENT

Two games in, what's your Starting 5?

I don't see how you leave Travis off the starting 5. He's a freaking 5th year SENIOR. Same with Hagans and his defense. Herro is almost a must have but he could come off the bench and play 20 minutes. Richards and Travis together would intimidate most teams inside.

Hagans
Herro
Reid
Richards
KJ

after game 2 that is the lineup i would go with
after game 1 i had Quickley instead of Herro, i just don't think you can leave Herro out of the starting lineup

Sticking with the Vets except for the G position. Herro and Quickley there. Good looking depth as we were all hoping for also with Green and Hagans. And nobody is talking about Baker.

Sticking with the Vets except for the G position. Herro and Quickley there. Good looking depth as we were all hoping for also with Green and Hagans. And nobody is talking about Baker.
No Keldon Johnson? Who's your SF?

Hagans
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

Hagans and Johnson for defensive reasons Herro because he lights up the score board and Travis and Washington for there physical presence.

My opinion on Travis is on hold.(role).........sometimes he plays like a fifth year Freshman.
Was he coached at Stanford?? ..indecision in the paint..dribble in traffic..weak hands.
Seems to me that the Freshmen are adjusting faster..or maybe they're just have much
more talent.
He is playing a role he isn't use to here. It's going to take a little time to adapt to playing bigger than he is, especially being a below the rim guy.

At Stanford he did more faceup and attack instead of catching in traffic in the post.

Quickley
Green
Johnson
Washington
Travis

I really like having Herro coming off the bench for instant offense and even playing more minutes than most of our guards. Same thing with Hagans. If they have a hot guard he can come in to try and lock them down. There may be games Richards commands a lot of minutes to protect the rim & post up inside. We really have a great team. There’s not an aspect we’re missing. We have ball handling, shooting, defense, rebounding, & rim protection. Gonna be a fun year.

G Green
G Herro
G Johnson
F Washington
F Richards

That's the best five right now.

But it's going to be hard to keep Travis out of the lineup as he learns the system.

Quickley
Green
Johnson
Washington
Travis

I really like having Herro coming off the bench for instant offense and even playing more minutes than most of our guards. Same thing with Hagans. If they have a hot guard he can come in to try and lock them down. There may be games Richards commands a lot of minutes to protect the rim & post up inside. We really have a great team. There’s not an aspect we’re missing. We have ball handling, shooting, defense, rebounding, & rim protection. Gonna be a fun year.
Interesting, why Herro off the bench though? Shouldn't Cal put his best 5 on the floor to start the game? Why not sit Keldon Johnson or Green to start the game?
I guess I don't get why so many want to bring Herro off the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
PJ. Positionless. Basketball.
I think there may be times we see that lineup, but the concern is on defense when the opponent has a decent 3 man. Washington can't lock down a 3.

Last edited:
Herro is clearly the best offensive player on the team and him not starting would be ridiculous.. So stop the 6th man talk!!

Green
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Travis

Same as after one for me.

Quickley
Herro
Johnson
Washington
Richards

Travis
Hagans
Green
Montgomery
Baker

Interesting, why Herro off the bench though? Shouldn't Cal put his best 5 on the floor to start the game? Why not sit Keldon Johnson or Green to start the game?
I guess I don't get why so many want to bring Herro off the bench.
Right now, I see Herro like a changeup or a slider for a fastball pitcher. He comes in and brings a totally different component that you’re not used to guarding against. I’m not saying he shouldn’t play the most minutes at the 2 spot or that I won’t change my mind later about him starting. Right now Herro is playing great off the bench and getting a lot of minutes. No need in messing with his mojo unless the team or one of the guys starting is just slumping and hurting the team. All in all it’s 2 games in on August 10th, we don’t know what Nov/Dec will bring or who will be playing at what level. This is just my opinion at the moment.

Right now, I see Herro like a changeup or a slider for a fastball pitcher. He comes in and brings a totally different component that you’re not used to guarding against. I’m not saying he shouldn’t play the most minutes at the 2 spot or that I won’t change my mind later about him starting. Right now Herro is playing great off the bench and getting a lot of minutes. No need in messing with his mojo unless the team or one of the guys starting is just slumping and hurting the team. All in all it’s 2 games in on August 10th, we don’t know what Nov/Dec will bring or who will be playing at what level. This is just my opinion at the moment.
Okay, but what is the difference between Herro and Monk? Monk was a great shooter and a poor defender, but bringing him off the bench was never a thought in anyone's mind. Herro has a very dimilar skill set, why is he a 6th man when he's clearly better than most of the other guards?

Okay, but what is the difference between Herro and Monk? Monk was a great shooter and a poor defender, but bringing him off the bench was never a thought in anyone's mind. Herro has a very dimilar skill set, why is he a 6th man when he's clearly better than most of the other guards?
The 2017 team didn’t have the makeup of this years squad. You only had Hawkins or Mulder to play over him at the 2. The team wasn’t loaded with guard combinations like this years team. Like I said I’m not saying Herro won’t be a starter or that I wouldn’t make him a starter later on. I’m saying right now after 2 games, these are my thoughts. We haven’t seen guys settle in yet. We really don’t know who is going to be what yet. We know Herro can play and teams haven’t dedicated themselves to stopping him yet. I actually think it’s been beneficial to see who else is going to get going at the beginning so that we can bring Herro in to compliment them. It worked out pretty well for Nova last year to bring in Divincenzo as the 6th man even though he was 3rd leading scorer and played the 3rd most minutes and was clearly better than Booth. But again, it’s my opinion two games in during an international trip in August. I may change my mind completely before the regular season. It’s an opinion question. I really don’t think there’s a bad starting lineup between 8-9 of our guys.

ADVERTISEMENT