ADVERTISEMENT

Two 4* Bowling Green Defensive stars don't have UK....

Speaking of WKU, what's up with their fan base? Last year's CUSA title game was played at WKU, and their tiny stadium was maybe half full.

I haven't read everyone's message yet, but my response to them not listing us as a finalist is oh well, on to the next one. Don't get me wrong, I always want KY kids that are top talent, but I also want kids that want to be here and if they don't... keep it moving. I won't lose any sleep over and I know the coaches are more than capable of finding talent to fill our needs. Have fun where ever you go boys, but I will worry about who actually plays for us

Reactions: dustarm20
One of the reasons I know that people from Western Kentucky likes both UL and WKU more than UK was driven home for me by a conversation I had with an old girlfriend from a long time back. She surprised me when she let it be known how much she hated UK and for some reason I can't explain started talking about how racist the university was. I said I always thought she was a UK fan and she told me she used to be. She said that was before her daughter wasn't accepted by UK as a student. Her daughter was accepted by UL and she was a big UL supporter now. I can understand that still I didn't even bother to ask her about her daughter's SAT scores or any other academic info as the conversation was not going well. It didn't help matters when she asked about my daughter. It was the one time in my life I felt I had to minimize my daughter's success.

Congratulations, man, I think you dodged a bullet. She sounds ill informed and prejudiced to me, I don't care how pretty she was.

Being turned down by UK and accepted by Transfer U seems to happen a lot, especially if you happen to be a very good athlete, the star football player that got shot under mysterious circumstances (and the MUCH more mysterious coverup) comes to mind.

Any way congratulations, I consider you almost as lucky as mitch. LOL

I think Kentucky does need to get the best players or most of them in the state and most years they do. But if a kid was raised in an anti UK family I would find out real quick if he had an interest in UK, if not I wouldn't waste my time. As for the best talent in Kentucky, the top ten prolly wouldn't be in Florida's top 75, the state just doesn't produce enough blue chip talent and never has. There are a few exceptions, most of Louisvilles and Westerns players come from somewhere else, in order to be competitive they have too. I still want Kentucky to clean house in the state but some years it's a down year.

I don't think it is that much of a down year, in 2010 there was ZERO four stars in the whole state. It has improved lately, and 19 should be a good year for talent in the state, this year not that bad, for Kentucky. No doubt our emphasis has to be Ohio, Florida, etc, but we should be getting the elite from Kentucky and when we start winning I think we will.

TheySoSensitive, where are people getting this info? Dingle himself told his local newspaper that UK, UT, and PU were showing him the most love by far exactly 8 days ago.

UK Coaches have talked about a big time instate player that would instantly help out our DL still being on the board.

UK coaches are claiming to recruit him.

Dingle is claiming to hear from UK coaches.

Where are these other rumors stemming from? Disgruntled UL fans?
I often wonder the same thing. Personally, I think, more often than not, "we don't want him; we don't need him; staff said he was slow, etc." are just fan reactions to a kid who actually chooses somewhere else to go to school.

FWIW, Dingle has been a long time target of UofL and I thought the Cards were leading for him up until his GT or PU announcement 8 or 10 days ago. He has said from the get go he wanted to major in Engineering and those are 2 great universities. FWIW Engineering is very tough curriculum whether it be at GT, PU, UK, MIT or Speed. I have friends that went to all those schools. Bottom line a tough curriculum that becomes even tougher with athletic demands. More power to him.

As I understand it, Lacey just comes from a strong UofL family. In such cases UK (or UofL if the situation was flipped) should just "stay in touch" but not waste too much time and energy. Sort of what UofL did with Jackson and Young.

Peace

Reactions: jauk11
Lacey is UL's to lose.
Purdue is in the picture for Dingle because Jeff Brohm had a great relationship with him when he was at WKU. I say ends ends up at Purdue, but Lacey is UL bound.

BG has more UK fans then UL, WKU fans resent UK because of the treatment SOME UK fans show toward them. They are not a little brother type scholl as UL and sometimes they think UK fans kind of tap them on the head like a adult would a child. They feel disrespected, and in football they have a right to feel that way.

I've always been told that the professional hate between the schools was due to UK blocking law and medical schools from WKU. That's changed now with UK partnering with them to open a medical college in BG.

From a fan base standpoint, it seems that most of BG supports both. You can go to any restaurant or bar during a game and see that. If they're both playing, the cheers are usually equal.

The diehard WKU fans are the worst though. There's no reasoning or talking facts with them. They beat UK in basketball in 2002 and won two football games, nothing else will ever matter when it comes to playing the cats. They could lose the next 50 games to UK and still cite those wins as being relevant.

None of the WKU teams during this run could win the SEC but thinking they'd go 0-8 or 1-7 is foolish. The last two teams were plenty good enough to win 3-5 conference games and depth would've prevented more.

I've always been told that the professional hate between the schools was due to UK blocking law and medical schools from WKU. That's changed now with UK partnering with them to open a medical college in BG.

From a fan base standpoint, it seems that most of BG supports both. You can go to any restaurant or bar during a game and see that. If they're both playing, the cheers are usually equal.

The diehard WKU fans are the worst though. There's no reasoning or talking facts with them. They beat UK in basketball in 2002 and won two football games, nothing else will ever matter when it comes to playing the cats. They could lose the next 50 games to UK and still cite those wins as being relevant.

None of the WKU teams during this run could win the SEC but thinking they'd go 0-8 or 1-7 is foolish. The last two teams were plenty good enough to win 3-5 conference games and depth would've prevented more.
I was with you until you stated that WKU would have won 3-5 SEC games. That is quite a stretch.

Reactions: football follies
PU leads UT, UK, & G Tech. That's currently the theme coming out of Bowling Green. I actually think it'll be either UT or UK, but I may be the only one.

I often wonder the same thing. Personally, I think, more often than not, "we don't want him; we don't need him; staff said he was slow, etc." are just fan reactions to a kid who actually chooses somewhere else to go to school.

FWIW, Dingle has been a long time target of UofL and I thought the Cards were leading for him up until his GT or PU announcement 8 or 10 days ago. He has said from the get go he wanted to major in Engineering and those are 2 great universities. FWIW Engineering is very tough curriculum whether it be at GT, PU, UK, MIT or Speed. I have friends that went to all those schools. Bottom line a tough curriculum that becomes even tougher with athletic demands. More power to him.

As I understand it, Lacey just comes from a strong UofL family. In such cases UK (or UofL if the situation was flipped) should just "stay in touch" but not waste too much time and energy. Sort of what UofL did with Jackson and Young.

Peace

I'm sure this will be boring to a lot of you, ignore if you wish.

Agree that Engineering is tough anywhere, you have to put in the time and do the homework in order to pass the Engineering classes. Hats off to Toth that excelled at football, in calling the plays AND in Engineering. I spent a lot of time playing intramural football and softball at UK but I can't imagine the work load playing SEC football would have added to it, I might have even had to miss a basketball game or two-------not a chance of missing a football game though.

I managed to go through 4.5 years of college without making anything but As in all my electives, did a lot of last minute cramming, which isn't a good way to remember what you were supposed to learn. For final exams one semester I didn't go to sleep and studied all night for an Economic Geography test that I had hardly looked at the book in, made 108 on the test (extra point for 6 of 6 vs 5 of 6 required, etc) and completely bombed Statics and Dynamics the next two hours, where I couldn't think and panicked (was always good at taking tests) and didn't worry about studying for it because I had the highest grades in the class. The toughest prof I ever had, I ended up with a B but he only gave one A, two Bs, three Cs, 6 Ds, and 6 Es or failing. And that isn't counting the TWELVE that saw what was coming and dropped out of the class early.

Dr Small, he really challenged me. was very disappointed in my test, said he thought I was the only one in the class that should go to graduate school.

Not for me, I was tired of starving AND studying. I had some choices, two choices with GE, Roanoke Va where they expected you to take extra classes and the pay was less or Huntsville Alabama where I was on a paid 60 hour work week in the space program and no homework. I was single and took the money and ran, bad career choice in the long run-------

But boy, did I have fun. No studying and some money too, wow.

Purdue is leading UT, UK, and G Tech, but still isn't close to deciding. 16-17 year olds are not known for sticking to their various "Leaders" that come and go during the recruiting process. Attending Purdue while wanting to major in engineering sounds amazing, but even the smartest of students cannot make it past year 2 due to how challenging it is. Add on top of that all the practices required, reviewing game tapes, learning the playbook, and doing all of this while most likely being a FR starter on Purdue's DEF.

It sounds like a great and respectable plan, but requires a 1 in 1,000 type high schooler to pull off such a feat and end up graduating in engineering.

While attending IU's business school, every single athlete switched majors after the very first semester was over. It is an extremely difficult degree to get and doing all the work while being a sports star is virtually impossible.

I won't argue which is more difficult, Indiana's School of Business or Purdue's engineering program, but both are top notch and designed to take up ever second of your free time.

Even if that is what Dingle is currently saying, the reality of what he is wanting to attempt may set in and change his perspective entirely. Purdue is not the kind of school to give athletes breaks that other students do not get. Especially in engineering.

Schools like UK and UT would be a bit more helpful in getting an engineering degree, as we saw Toth accomplish. Purdue is a totally different animal.

Wanting to be the most talented player on the football team while graduating with a degree in engineering in West Lafayette is similar to wanting to attend Harvard as a star basketball recruit and graduate with a law degree.

Maybe Dingle is a 1 in 1,000 type student who could pull it off, but by changes schools between his SO and JR year, he will struggle to rack up AP classes and graduate HS a semester early. Especially if an engineering degree from Purdue is the goal.

I am not meaning to offend Dingle in any way or try and say he is incapable of doing it. Just explaining how things are different at Purdue in Engineering School.

Well, a kid has to live his dream, if it's a possibility. I wouldn't fault him if he tried Purdue and had to pull back from either football or engineering.

I had not heard that Toth pulled it off at U.K. Quite an accomplishment.

Reactions: EclipsingYou
I was Jacob Lacey's Social Studies at South Warren his freshmen year in 2015-16. He was one of maybe a select few freshmen that played significant minutes on SW's varsity team in 2015 that won the 4A State Championship. Here's what I know about him, and this is based off information from almost 2 years ago. First of all, Jacob is a great kid and student! He's a yes sir, no sir, straight A type who works very hard and does everything you ask of him in the classroom. He was also a BIG Louisville fan. I know that he went down to visit UT in Knoxville at some point that year and he was really impressed with them. After that visit he wore a lot of Vol orange to school on a pretty regular basis, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at either Louisville or Tennessee. Kid is also a pretty good baseball player too. I'd love it if he came to UK, but it's likely not going to happen.
Hes going to Notre Dame.

For all the chatter about him being from a UL family at least he's not going there to play. Really disappointed he's not going to UK but I guess all I can say is good luck to him.

Encouraging that some fans are taking note of all the goings on in Transfer City.

The ND A.D. talks like Coach Kelly has three years to right the ship. Considering the seat was cold entering 2016 I can see his point. I wouldn't be so patient after 4-8 in year 7 at ND. I expect Coach Stoops will continue coming after Jacob Lacey. A lot of things can change over two years and UK is a fine academic university.

I'm not about to fret about a guy wanting an engineering degree choosing from 2 engineering schools.
I agree with that, and I just think people should probably stop worrying so much about individual recruits. At the end of the day, Stoops is signing ranked classes that seem to get better every year. Our program keeps getting better. If a couple of players want to go to school somewhere else, good luck to them.

The ND A.D. talks like Coach Kelly has three years to right the ship. Considering the seat was cold entering 2016 I can see his point. I wouldn't be so patient after 4-8 in year 7 at ND. I expect Coach Stoops will continue coming after Jacob Lacey. A lot of things can change over two years and UK is a fine academic university.

He may talk like that, but I can't imagine Kelly surviving less than an 8 win season, unless there are financial reasons why he would be kept.

I was with you until you stated that WKU would have won 3-5 SEC games. That is quite a stretch.

Never said they would win 3-5, said they were good enough. I should've clarified and said the East though. Depth would've obviously been a major issue.

The 2015 WKU team was straight up better than Vanderbilt and Carolina. They were capable of beating us or Missouri if things went their way. The score ended lopsided due to turnovers but they competed with LSU for the majority of the game in a down pour.

The 2016 team was compareable to the bottom half of the SEC. They were significantly better than Southern Miss and would've been a problem for us early. Missouri, Carolina and Miss State would all be competitive games. Tennessee would've been a shoot out and they lost to Vandy on a failed two point conversion.

Those were some good, well coached teams, don't sell them short.

Reactions: CyrusJS
Never said they would win 3-5, said they were good enough. I should've clarified and said the East though. Depth would've obviously been a major issue.

The 2015 WKU team was straight up better than Vanderbilt and Carolina. They were capable of beating us or Missouri if things went their way. The score ended lopsided due to turnovers but they competed with LSU for the majority of the game in a down pour.

The 2016 team was compareable to the bottom half of the SEC. They were significantly better than Southern Miss and would've been a problem for us early. Missouri, Carolina and Miss State would all be competitive games. Tennessee would've been a shoot out and they lost to Vandy on a failed two point conversion.

Those were some good, well coached teams, don't sell them short.

Well I am selling Southern Miss short, some weird things happened for them to win that game against us, guarantee it won't happen this year, and I don't think WKU comes close to us in the foreseeable future, wish we played them this year.

If these kids are in sold on ND and GT, so be it. They do not have BBN DNA, and have chosen good schools, assuming they stick. They have shown the good sense to avoid UofL, and that is enough for my respect.

Reactions: jauk11
If these kids are in sold on ND and GT, so be it. They do not have BBN DNA, and have chosen good schools, assuming they stick. They have shown the good sense to avoid UofL, and that is enough for my respect.

I was just thinking the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT