ADVERTISEMENT

Tweak

I feel like since we've moved away from Tre at the 5 for small ball to a more traditional 5, we should further tweak to having a 3 guard lineup more consistently. We know Edwards' role has been reduced. And we'll need to play Adou some. But let's try and pair a 3 guard lineup together with Tre and Ugonna/Big Z/Bradshaw more consistently. We have enough size at the 5 where a 3 guard lineup should not hurt us on the defensive side and only improve the offensive side.

I feel like since we've moved away from Tre at the 5 for small ball to a more traditional 5, we should further tweak to having a 3 guard lineup more consistently. We know Edwards' role has been reduced. And we'll need to play Adou some. But let's try and pair a 3 guard lineup together with Tre and Ugonna/Big Z/Bradshaw more consistently. We have enough size at the 5 where a 3 guard lineup should not hurt us on the defensive side and only improve the offensive side.
After the SC loss Cal said on his weekly radio show that he should’ve posted up Mitchell a hundred times until the stopped it. And he said they have to get more lobs for the bigs.
Nothing about screens to open shooters or anything guard related.
So take it for what it’s worth.

Cal is still getting mileage out of that phrase 10 years later. Back in 2014 with all of that young talent, our team was struggling and the fans were restless after what happened in 2013. So Cal used that term to keep the fans engaged and BOY did it work when we went on that AWESOME run to the Final game.

Now it just doesn't seem to carry the same weight after he's used it to DEATH without the same results in March.

After the SC loss Cal said on his weekly radio show that he should’ve posted up Mitchell a hundred times until the stopped it. And he said they have to get more lobs for the bigs.
I would definitely like to see some lobs to the bigs. Seems like we should be able to do that more. And Tre can certainly do stuff down low and there are situations where that may make more sense. Can still do both of those things while employing a heavy 3-guard lineup so I just hope Cal will shift more to that.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
We should be playing 3-guard 90% of the time. Our 4 guards and Mitchell are our best players and they all need to get big minutes.

Probably never dawned on cal that we played much better before any big ever stepped foot on the court. Bradshaw is not the answer, we aren’t sure if Z is but the potential is there and Ugo is needed primarily on defense. Try playing without a Big again at least 10-15 minutes per game as it worked extremely well for the first 8 games or so. Instead cal has been focusing on getting more than one big in the game at the same time as much as he can. Some posters here wonder why he is bitched about constantly. Nothing gets on my nerves more than idiocy and cal is an idiot.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Probably never dawned on cal that we played much better before any big ever stepped foot on the court. Bradshaw is not the answer, we aren’t sure if Z is but the potential is there and Ugo is needed primarily on defense. Try playing without a Big again at least 10-15 minutes per game as it worked extremely well for the first 8 games or so. Instead cal has been focusing on getting more than one big in the game at the same time as much as he can. Some posters here wonder why he is bitched about constantly. Nothing gets on my nerves more than idiocy and cal is an idiot.
Yes, I'd definitely like to see more spurts of small ball as well. Have we played the small ball lineup any minutes at all of late? I can't recall the last time I saw it.

I’ve heard Mitchell gets tired, so maybe we shouldn’t post him too much.

Reactions: ck-2
might be unpopular here, but i agree with him that in some of these recent games where we have struggled we should throw it to Mitchell in the post more. The way the are defending us they are forcing us to play 1 on 1 and our guards haven't been finishing at the rim with enough efficiency to make them pay. The next option which Cal is stating is take Tre vs a 4 in the post. If they play him 1 on 1 there he will eat, if they double then we have them in rotation and back to our normal offense.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
might be unpopular here, but i agree with him that in some of these recent games where we have struggled we should throw it to Mitchell in the post more. The way the are defending us they are forcing us to play 1 on 1 and our guards haven't been finishing at the rim with enough efficiency to make them pay. The next option which Cal is stating is take Tre vs a 4 in the post. If they play him 1 on 1 there he will eat, if they double then we have them in rotation and back to our normal offense.
At Arkansas we assisted on 13 of 23 made baskets, which is right on our season average. Also, all three of Mitchell’s baskets were from the three point line.

I much prefer this - making a big choose whether to help to the middle or cover Mitchell at the 3 point line - to posting Mitchell.

I’ve heard Mitchell gets tired, so maybe we shouldn’t post him too much.
Imo he does , I think we need to drop his minutes to 30-32 mpg. If you don't believe me,go and watch the tape of the last 8- games.

He either is getting tired and taking series off, or doesn't care about defense... I've watched several different tapes of our defensive breakdowns, and it's obvious he is struggling.

I honestly think if his minutes drop to 30-32 min his efficiency will go up. Play adou or big Z for 8-10 at his spot. He would still get his, but allow a high motor guy like adou to wear down his man. It should also allow him to be more aggressive and not worry about getting tagged with fouls! That has come to mind as well, at times he may not challenge shots due to not wanting to foul. I think with adou that shouldn't be a concern either.

Imo he does , I think we need to drop his minutes to 30-32 mpg. If you don't believe me,go and watch the tape of the last 8- games.

He either is getting tired and taking series off, or doesn't care about defense... I've watched several different tapes of our defensive breakdowns, and it's obvious he is struggling.

I honestly think if his minutes drop to 30-32 min his efficiency will go up. Play adou or big Z for 8-10 at his spot. He would still get his, but allow a high motor guy like adou to wear down his man. It should also allow him to be more aggressive and not worry about getting tagged with fouls! That has come to mind as well, at times he may not challenge shots due to not wanting to foul. I think with adou that shouldn't be a concern either.
I think he does play too many minutes. Just joking around because he’s a decent free throw shooter but when he misses clutch free throws he’s “tired.” No D-1 player has any business being too tired to shoot free throws.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Yes, I'd definitely like to see more spurts of small ball as well. Have we played the small ball lineup any minutes at all of late? I can't recall the last time I saw it.
No. Cal has had a big on the floor at all times since both Ugo and Bradshaw became available. For the past 4-5 games cal has both Ugo/bradshaw in together for more than 1 segment of each game. It’s really nonsensical!!!!

Reactions: CatPhight
Best Tweak......New Coach !
HEa7skl.png

Reactions: westerncat
We should be playing 3-guard 90% of the time. Our 4 guards and Mitchell are our best players and they all need to get big minutes.
Theiro is one of our most important players. He is our best defender, one of our best 3 rebounders (w/ Z & Ugo), and our most physical player.

Before the bigs got back, we were getting badly out rebounded pretty much every game. Which made beating KU impossible. So I kinda get why Cal is hesitant to go small for any length of time. I'm not sure why we ever end up with 2 bigs unless Z is one of them.

I'm probably wrong here. But Cal really needs to give in on this zone issue he has. I know he hates them. I know they hurt rebounding & 3pt defense. And yes, I know we want to go fast and zones tend to slow the game down. BUT, even the NBA has changed to allow them. And like all defense, zone is as good as the effort put it to it. THAT should be his late season tweak. A zone and a half court zone trap. Played like our hair is on fire.

You serious? I wasn't... :rolleyes:

;)
I detected sarcasm 😀.
But when you think about cal going with ugo/adou together, I see a much better rebound/defense team on the floor. But also a unit that might struggle to score, due to opposing team keying on Reeves and clogging the lane like it usually ends with cal!

Reactions: BBUK
I would definitely like to see some lobs to the bigs. Seems like we should be able to do that more. And Tre can certainly do stuff down low and there are situations where that may make more sense. Can still do both of those things while employing a heavy 3-guard lineup so I just hope Cal will shift more to that.
Tre is valuable both in and out. I hope he doesn’t get stuck playing with his back to the basket since he’s a pretty good 3- pt maker. However, seems we have no other serviceable back-to-the-basket player. Unless game conditions call for it, Cal needs to keep the lane open for drives and kick outs for our good 3- pt shooters (Reeves, Sheppard, Dillingham and Mitchell).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT