ADVERTISEMENT

Tubby’s Last 5 Years v Cal’s Last 5 Years

Kampus Korner

All-American
Mar 23, 2007
Saratoga, New York
My apologies if this has been posted but I was just informed that Tubby Smith’s record during his last 5 years is very similar to the last 5 years under Cal (not including this season). In fact, Tubby had a better win percentage.

Tubby‘s Record His Last 5 Years

32-4
27-5
28-6
22-13
22-12

Total 131-40 (77% Wins)

Cal’s Record Last 5 Years

32-6
26-11
30-7
25-6
9-16

Total 122-46 (73% Wins)

In the first 7 years of Cal, losing the early season and SEC games were tolerable because we were getting the payoff in March. Now, we are STILL losing the early and SEC games but NOT getting the late Tournament payoff.

When you take that into consideration, Cal could be considered even WORSE.

My apologies if this has been posted but I was just informed that Tubby Smith’s record during his last 5 years is very similar to the last 5 years under Cal (not including this season). In fact, Tubby had a better win percentage.

32-4
27-5
28-6
22-13
22-12

Total 131-40 (77% Wins)

32-6
26-11
30-7
25-6
9-16

Total 122-46 (73% Wins)
This job isn’t a job for life it’s got a shelf life of about 10 years and when that light burns out it’s time for all parties to just move on!

Had a poster ask last night if I would hire Tubby to replace Cal. I said in the last four years yes. I was wrong, should have said five.

In Tubby's last 5 years he has gone:

19-13
21-13
16-15
9-23
9-15

Anyone who would take Tubby over Cal, well, I don't know what to say to ya. He hasn't had a single loss season since 2005.

Reactions: SosaUK87

32-4
27-5
28-6
22-
22-12

Total 131-40 (77% Wins)

32-6
26-11
30-7
25-6
9-16

Total 122-46 (73% Wins)
This is even worse when you factor in the number of below 300 ranked cupcakes we’ve played to pad our record over the last five years. Tubby didn’t schedule nearly as many of those “glorified-exhibition” automatic wins as Cal does. And Tubby was never afraid to go to Maui or play tough road games at places like Indiana or North Carolina like Cal is.

Our record against legit P5 non-con teams over the last six years is WAY worse than what we went through under Tubby.

Last edited:
Until Cal retains his passion and fire to the point that he is trying to improve and willing to change to improve, we are stuck with mediocre Cal. I hate it, it’s like watching the King become Fat Elvis.

Sadly, that is a great analogy!! And ironic due to the Memphis connection.

In the first 7 years of Cal, losing the early season and SEC games were tolerable because we were getting the payoff in March. Now, we are STILL losing the early and SEC games but NOT getting the late Tournament payoff.

When you take that into consideration, Cal could be considered even WORSE.
Really? They cancelled one and we were in the Covid toilet. Sorry. Facts suck.

In Tubby's last 5 years he has gone:

19-13
21-13
16-15
9-23
9-15

Anyone who would take Tubby over Cal, well, I don't know what to say to ya. He hasn't had a single loss season since 2005.
I don’t know what to tell you to tell me either. Sorry to confuse you.

Like the fact that we were 9-16 last year? Or the fact that we haven’t been to the F4 in 6 years? Or the fact that we blew our chances against K-State and Auburn in the tournament back to back in 18 and 19? This stuff goes both ways. BTW, He’s right, we haven’t been making deep runs in the tournament but we’re still looking lost early on.

Just a reminder, we are a staggeringly bad 17-23 against non-con P5 teams since 2015. Which is even more jarring when you realize that most of those teams (like Notre Dame yesterday) weren’t really even that good, they just happened to be a legit opponent, rather than the bottom tier cupcakes that we were accustomed to playing.

We never went through something like that under Tubby.

Last edited:
Still not ANY better than Tubby's last few years. Cal has STUNK it up with MUCH better players than Tubby had. Tubby NEVER missed the tournament and NEVER had a losing record. Cal is destroying EVERY aspect of UK Basketball's rich tradition.

Those are the "FACTS" and they most definitely "SUCK"!! Which is ENTIRELY Cal's doing!!

Like the fact that we were 9-16 last year? Or the fact that we haven’t been to the F4 in 6 years? Or the fact that we blew our chances against K-State and Auburn in the tournament back to back in 18 and 19? This stuff goes both ways. BTW, He’s right, we haven’t been making deep runs in the tournament but we’re still looking lost early on.
Actually only 4 teams make a deep run every year. 4 teams in the most hotly contested sport in college sports. And we were so close in those years. They didn’t blow us out. Basically, your post is full of it.

Actually only 4 teams make a deep run every year. 4 teams in the most hotly contested sport in college sports. And we were so close in those years. They didn’t blow us out. Basically, your post is full of it.
What did I point out that was wrong? First, I never said they blew us out, I said we blew our chance to make a deep run in the tournament by choking against those teams. Second, being close doesn’t meant jack shit. UK hangs banners for Final Fours and national titles, not being runner up in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Not expecting a title or Final 4 every year but we could a lot better than we have been the past several years.

What did I point out that was wrong? First, I never said they blew us out, I said we blew our chance to make a deep run in the tournament by choking against those teams. Second, being close doesn’t meant jack shit. UK hangs banners for Final Fours and national titles, not being runner up in the Sweet 16 or Elite 8. Not expecting a title or Final 4 every year but we could a lot better than we have been the past several years.
You just picked tiny points of data. No broad analysis. All the best haters do it.

Still not ANY better than Tubby's last few years. Cal has STUNK it up with MUCH better players than Tubby had. Tubby NEVER missed the tournament and NEVER had a losing record. Cal is destroying EVERY aspect of UK Basketball's rich tradition.

Those are the "FACTS" and they most definitely "SUCK"!! Which is ENTIRELY Cal's doing!!
Laugh. Come up with som new. This is the same old crap.

Lol that was a funny take. I mean wtf do people expect his record to be at shit schools with shit talent?

Hell would freeze over before UK would ever hire a coach with that kind of resume. And, if they did, the board would go into complete and total meltdown.

Oh wait! nevermind, great coaches come from shitty programs with shitty players and shitty records. I can name a few dozen like that starting with.....uh.....well.....uh......well, give me a few weeks and I will come up with one.

• Haha
Reactions: AllCatsEverything5
You just picked tiny points of data. No broad analysis. All the best haters do it.
Those “tiny points of data” are all true and big indicators of a bigger issue. One would think that a historically bad season plus losing winnable tourney games is a big deal but apparently you’re content to stick your head in the sand and say everything is fine when there is clearly something wrong. Also, not a hater by any means. Criticism isn’t always hating. If you can’t see the issues, then you are either totally blind or completely fine with a watered down product.

Those “tiny points of data” are all true and big indicators of a bigger issue. One would think that a historically bad season plus losing winnable tourney games is a big deal but apparently you’re content to stick your head in the sand and say everything is fine when there is clearly something wrong. Also, not a hater by any means. Criticism isn’t always hating. If you can’t see the issues, then you are either totally blind or completely fine with a watered down product.
Says the guy that hates on KY basketball. Bottom line is, the people making the decisions think it’s bullshit.

Calipari seems to have lost the one thing Tubby never did: The fire in the belly. Tubby's only problem was sadly, some of the game behind the game changed. He wasn't some salesman like Cal.
Tubby’s issue was recruiting. Plain and simple. He was always a good coach, but in his later years he simply was not bringing in the kind of talent expected of a blueblood program of UK’s caliber. And I never got the impression that he liked recruiting, he seemed to view recruiting more as a chore that he was required to do rather than something he wanted to do.

Cal’s wiring is the inverse. He was the greatest recruiter in the history of the sport at his apex, but his coaching has always been suspect.

Last edited:
Says the guy that hates on KY basketball. Bottom line is, the people making the decisions think it’s bullshit.
Last thing I am going to say is this: I’m not hating on KY basketball. I want them to be better than what they are right now. Everything I pointed out is true. If you don’t see it that way then I don’t know what to say.

Also, quit calling any criticism of Cal hate and any critics haters. You don’t know anything about who is a true fan and who is a hater. I’m a UK fan, have been all my life and I always will be. I will always cheer on Kentucky no matter who the coach is. I’m also a realist that isn’t blinded by delusional optimism. I’m going to call out any issues I see. You may not want to hear it but damnit it’s going to be said.

I got nothing twisted. If you think what happened after that game wasn’t bashing, you are the twisted one. It’s relentless. We look like a U6 board. Worse.
You’re the one calling us Raftards, while you are posting here. So, and I’m reaching here (not), are you in the same geographic idealogically mindspace as us Tards? Or not? Which is it? Spew your shit. It’s still gonna stink. You’re a sinking bass, destined to be a carp. Bring on your last smartass reply. Then flop out the boat.

You’re the one calling us Raftards, while you are posting here. So, and I’m reaching here (not), are you in the same geographic idealogically mindspace as us Tards? Or not? Which is it? Spew your shit. It’s still gonna stink. You’re a sinking bass, destined to be a carp. Bring on your last smartass reply. Then flop out the boat.
Any that’s been used here for years. Reading. Sorry it’s difficult for you. Mommy read for you?

Last thing I am going to say is this: I’m not hating on KY basketball. I want them to be better than what they are right now. Everything I pointed out is true. If you don’t see it that way then I don’t know what to say.

Also, quit calling any criticism of Cal hate and any critics haters. You don’t know anything about who is a true fan and who is a hater. I’m a UK fan, have been all my life and I always will be. I will always cheer on Kentucky no matter who the coach is. I’m also a realist that isn’t blinded by delusional optimism. I’m going to call out any issues I see. You may not want to hear it but damnit it’s going to be said.
Oh, yeah. Like I’m going to quit supporting my team. You clearly only support the cats when life is good. Good thing you missed 1958 - 1978 and 1978 - 1996. You’d have stroked out. College basketball is hard on entitled little wimps.

32-4
27-5
28-6
22-13
22-12

Total 131-40 (77% Wins)

32-6
26-11
30-7
25-6
9-16

Total 122-46 (73% Wins)
And we ran Tubby out of town.....why is Cal still here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT