ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

How many points per game would Kerr Krissa have scored in the Atlantic Sun Conference?
And been the main (only) offensive player / # 1 option. A shit ton is what he would have averaged. Atlantic Sun was one of the worst defensive conferences in the NCAA. Kriisa I would guess 20+ per. Hell he averaged a shade over 11 only taking 8 shots per game in the Big 12. On the flip side, Lanier took over 13 shots per game. Great shooting %'s not saying he took bad shots, just that if Kriisa got the extra 5 shots per game that Lanier took, his numbers would be a lot different. Another question, what would Lanier average if he played in the Big 12, because Big 12 teams have a lot more balanced rosters. Kriisa if he would have taken 13+ shots last year at WVU, it stands to reason his PPG average would have been in the 16-18 per game, IN THE BIG 12.

Pope got to see him up close and in person. Against BYU he dropped 23/5/5 with 2 steals. 5/10 on 3's, 3/4 on 2's.

Last edited:
This will sum it all up in a nutshell.

West Virginia SOS 10.76
N. Florida SOS MINUS 4.84 (-4.84)

A negative 4.84 strength of schedule. LOL, some YMCA teams would have been better competition. Not to mention, Lanier has only done it ONE year even at the lower level played. Knecht and other guys like Reeves at least had a little better track record of sustainability.

Lanier has the talent for sure but less proven. Actually neither Lanier or Robinson are likely to be the “dudes” that everyone wants.
lanier was one of the most offensively efficient players, don't care about the competition. Robinson put up 14 points per game while playing in the big 12. Both can be dudes but we have the pieces around them to have a really effective team.

West Virginia SOS 10.76

A negative 4.84 strength of schedule. LOL, some YMCA teams would have been better competition. Not to mention, Lanier has only done it ONE year even at the lower level played. Knecht and other guys like Reeves at least had a little better track record of sustainability.
Wish we played those YMCA schools when the coach that left was here!

• Haha
Reactions: ib4ky

West Virginia SOS 10.76

He put up 19 against EKU!

lanier was one of the most offensively efficient players, don't care about the competition. Robinson put up 14 points per game while playing in the big 12. Both can be dudes but we have the pieces around them to have a really effective team.
Lanier is a very solid rebounder for his size (I know, smaller size players and lesser talented teams in the ASUN). Averaged right at 5 rebounds per game. That is something Robinson is going to have to improve on if he ever wants to play at the next level. He needs to use his ability more, he averaged only 2.5 rebounds and 1.3 assist. He has to play more physical, he only attempted 2 free throws per game. The tools are there, he just has to maximize them. That is the exact reason he will not be drafted this year, he can shoot, nice stroke. But doesn't really assert himself in the other faucets of the game.
For my money, between the two, give me Robinson. More proven, knows Pope's system inside and out, knows what the coach expects from him and the team. Lanier just has me with the slight hesitation because of the ASUN and only has done it for 1 year. Which is why I won't really freak out if we do not get Lanier, I feel Robinson is around 90% UK bound.

Why even bring that up ? This thread has been solid with discussions, your post has ZERO content related to the topic being discussed. Move along and take these type post to the Cal hate threads, shouldn't be too hard to find one. I am over Cal, news flash, he is not here anymore.

And been the main (only) offensive player / # 1 option. A shit ton is what he would have averaged. Atlantic Sun was one of the worst defensive conferences in the NCAA. Kriisa I would guess 20+ per. Hell he averaged a shade over 11 only taking 8 shots per game in the Big 12. On the flip side, Lanier took over 13 shots per game. Great shooting %'s not saying he took bad shots, just that if Kriisa got the extra 5 shots per game that Lanier took, his numbers would be a lot different. Another question, what would Lanier average if he played in the Big 12, because Big 12 teams have a lot more balanced rosters. Kriisa if he would have taken 13+ shots last year at WVU, it stands to reason his PPG average would have been in the 16-18 per game, IN THE BIG 12.

Pope got to see him up close and in person. Against BYU he dropped 23/5/5 with 2 steals. 5/10 on 3's, 3/4 on 2's.
Like you said, Lanier really raised his stats during the conference season due to how weak the league was.
At UK, I can't believe his PPG would be anything close to his seasonal or his conference averages. One, due to the competition for "system" shots and for tougher opponents. The SEC play is going to be VASTLY different than what he's normally used to night in/ night out!!

He was OUTSTANDING during the ASUN conference season though, WOW!!!!

Level Of Competition:
North Florida finished in 5th place in the ASUN with a 9-7 conference record (13-16 overall).
The ASUN conference was rated 26th in the NET (out of 33 conferences), average of teams was #256, North Florida NET was #252. Lipscomb #166 was the only team with a better ranking than the worst SEC team, Vandy at #202.

His MPG was considerably less during OOC games (??), which could be the reason for his stats per game drop, unsure why his shooting would drop, across the board 5-10%.

I think Lanier at UK would shoot 10-fg per game.
I think Lanier at UT would shoot 20-fg per game.
Chaz Lanier
ASUN Conference Stats:
MPG- 36.8, PPG- 23.2, RBPG- 5.1, ASTPG- 2.1, FG%- 53.2, 3PT%- 45.2, FT%- 90.5
Non-Conference Stats:
MPG- 29.9, PPG- 16.1, RBPG- 4.4, ASTPG- 1.4, FG%- 48.1, 3PT%- 42.7, FT%- 82.4

Lanier is a very solid rebounder for his size (I know, smaller size players and lesser talented teams in the ASUN). Averaged right at 5 rebounds per game. That is something Robinson is going to have to improve on if he ever wants to play at the next level. He needs to use his ability more, he averaged only 2.5 rebounds and 1.3 assist. He has to play more physical, he only attempted 2 free throws per game. The tools are there, he just has to maximize them. That is the exact reason he will not be drafted this year, he can shoot, nice stroke. But doesn't really assert himself in the other faucets of the game.
For my money, between the two, give me Robinson. More proven, knows Pope's system inside and out, knows what the coach expects from him and the team. Lanier just has me with the slight hesitation because of the ASUN and only has done it for 1 year. Which is why I won't really freak out if we do not get Lanier, I feel Robinson is around 90% UK bound.
I will take whoever honestly. Given the choice I lean Robinson, but both would fit into the system and both have clear benefits

Reactions: dl51344
Why even bring that up ? This thread has been solid with discussions, your post has ZERO content related to the topic being discussed. Move along and take these type post to the Cal hate threads, shouldn't be too hard to find one. I am over Cal, news flash, he is not here anymore.
I was just being funny. I have never posted a " Cal Hater" thread.

West Virginia SOS 10.76

Okay. I'll stay on point.
You never know what any player will do till they play better competition. But it will prove what they're capable or incapable of doing.

A guy who will be playing at the Y this fall choked out the Calboy in this past season's NCAA game!! 🤬🤬🤬

This D-2 transfer scored more points than our whole Freshmen roster (7-players) in that game!! That ole' man supposedly wasn't rated among the Top-500 players coming out of high school..........................in Wisconsin!!!!!

Reactions: ukfan041
According to some, were lucky if we get anybody and the ones we did get should be playing down at the YMCA
It’s bizarre annd obvious to see who is in the minority at the moment. We have a unified front in support of Pope, yet in spite of how well he’s done this offseason under the circumstances of time, some are acting like we’ve hired Billy G and we’re sticking with him for a 3rd season.

No one sane is going around yelling we’re a final four team, but you have to be impressed with the current state of things, if not, there’s no arguing with that individual.

Like you said, Lanier really raised his stats during the conference season due to how weak the league was.
At UK, I can't believe his PPG would be anything close to his seasonal or his conference averages. One, due to the competition for "system" shots and for tougher opponents. The SEC play is going to be VASTLY different than what he's normally used to night in/ night out!!

Level Of Competition:
North Florida finished in 5th place in the ASUN with a 9-7 conference record (13-16 overall).
The ASUN conference was rated 26th in the NET (out of 33 conferences), average of teams was #256, North Florida NET was #252. Lipscomb #166 was the only team with a better ranking than the worst SEC team, Vandy at #202.

His MPG was considerably less during OOC games (??), which could be the reason for his stats per game drop, unsure why his shooting would drop, across the board 5-10%.

Chaz Lanier
ASUN Conference Stats:
Non-Conference Stats:
Going to have to respectfully disagree with you on one part of your post. Lanier would NOT get 20 shots per game at UT. Hell he only took 13 at N. Florida as the number 1, really only option on offense. Keep in mind not only are opposing teams better on defense, but teams in the SEC are a lot more balanced offensively. Very few players if any, would get 20 shots per game in the SEC. As a guide, here is UK's shots per game per player :

Reeves - 14
Dillingham - 11.3
Wagner - 9
Sheppard - 8
Mitchell - 7.9
Edwards - 6.8

On a better, more balanced team on offense vs playing a lot better defenses, he would not get even 15 shots at UT, doubt he would get the 10 for UK that you suggested. Too balanced.

Again, Why are the recruits you want more important than the recruits Pope wants. It is amazing that since some website, some so called portal expert, says Homer Simpson is the best guard in the portal and Pope did not go after Homer Simpson he is horrible, he is not doing his job, he has got to fix himself.

I like guys in the portal that we did not go after, you have not seen one post from me discussing. I am not POPE, i am not picking guys to fit my system.

Difference in going for names over going for players that fit my system. Get out of the thought process of Cal.

Pitino did not get every guy he went for and missed more than he hit. Did not stop him from building teams and competing.
Please shut up with this strawman. I am talking about guy's UK is recruiting for The System® Poplar, Robinson, Lanier. All of the guys I am talking about were recruited by Pope (Wait, let me guess, they didn't fit the system® so they aren't misses). And he missed on them. Hence ''it's time to get a scorer in here and stop missing''.

Level Of Competition:

Chaz Lanier
ASUN Conference Stats:
Non-Conference Stats:

It is funny that Lanier is considered a main guy, while Almonor is an afterthought. The ASUN is way closer to the NEC conference-wise than the MVC, which is the conference Antonio Reeves came out of, or the WCC, where Gonzaga is.

Reactions: Mozzie and TM2013
Why even bring that up ? This thread has been solid with discussions, your post has ZERO content related to the topic being discussed. Move along and take these type post to the Cal hate threads, shouldn't be too hard to find one. I am over Cal, news flash, he is not here anymore

Lanier to me seems to have a higher offensive potential, Robinson is the better 2-way player
I am assuming that Robinson was the best player on the BYU team. Do you know why he didn't start.

Going to have to respectfully disagree with you on one part of your post. Lanier would NOT get 20 shots per game at UT. Hell he only took 13 at N. Florida as the number 1, really only option on offense. Keep in mind not only are opposing teams better on defense, but teams in the SEC are a lot more balanced offensively. Very few players if any, would get 20 shots per game in the SEC. As a guide, here is UK's shots per game per player :

Reeves - 14
Dillingham - 11.3
Wagner - 9
Sheppard - 8
Mitchell - 7.9
Edwards - 6.8

On a better, more balanced team on offense vs playing a lot better defenses, he would not get even 15 shots at UT, doubt he would get the 10 for UK that you suggested. Too balanced.
Knecht did take almost 18 field goal attempts per game for UT during SEC conference play, playing the #3.

The UConn situation was whoever committed first between Mahaney/brea got that spot. Mahaney took it. Brea is still a recruiting win for pope.
What happened to all of our NIL money? We’ve been bragging about how much money we have, does UConn actually have more. We lost every major battle we’ve been in so far. Maybe putting a conservative coach like Mark Fox who spent his failed career as a basketball coach trying to keep teams in the 50’s and 60’s in charge of NIL wasn’t the best idea.

What happened to all of our NIL money? We’ve been bragging about how much money we have, does UConn actually have more. We lost every major battle we’ve been in so far. Maybe putting a conservative coach like Mark Fox who spent his failed career as a basketball coach trying to keep teams in the 50’s and 60’s in charge of NIL wasn’t the best idea.

Or and hear me out on this Kentucky doesn’t want to overspend on certain guys because they don’t have to. If you want a really good player you will have to spend money, but if your Kentucky you don’t have to overspend on 99 percent of players. Also they want some money to carry over to next year and the year after.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT