ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

Brea's last 5 games (tournament games)
Averaged 37.5 minutes per game , 15 pts per game, shooting 54% from three (20/37)

You paint an inaccurate picture of who Brea is
I understand the starting angle especially after what Cal did with Reed and Dillingham but just because you don't start doesn't mean you are no good.

Today is the day per Joe
IMG-7151.jpg

Credit to KENTucky_McK on KSR board for proof Joe is an insider!

What ? Butler has played against Elite talent. This level ? Go look up his games played while at San Diego State. He made it to the championship game, but I guess he played against all scrubs that year and his whole career. Oweh played in the Big 12, I know you didn't mention him, but he is another solid defender, same for Garrison. IF Williams can't hack it, and maybe even if he does turn out to be OK, I think Garrison eventually takes several minutes from him.
Butler played 19 games against high major opponents over the course of his four years at San Diego State. Maybe I’ll go watch some of those games, although I’d really appreciate it if one of you would do me a solid and edit all these games for me to take out all the offensive possessions and stoppages so I can just watch him play defense.

I think Butler and Williams can probably provide top end defense. My point was most are overlooking how good the defense could be, but we have to see what it looks like once here in terms of level of competition, style, player rotations, etc.

Again, Why are the recruits you want more important than the recruits Pope wants. It is amazing that since some website, some so called portal expert, says Homer Simpson is the best guard in the portal and Pope did not go after Homer Simpson he is horrible, he is not doing his job, he has got to fix himself.

I like guys in the portal that we did not go after, you have not seen one post from me discussing. I am not POPE, i am not picking guys to fit my system.

Difference in going for names over going for players that fit my system. Get out of the thought process of Cal.

Pitino did not get every guy he went for and missed more than he hit. Did not stop him from building teams and competing.
Until some get the Calipari recruiting of a number by a name out of their head, no amount of reasoning will help.
Again, Mark Pope will recruit players that fit his style of play. He has said this from the get-go.
He's not going to recruit a player that may be all about himself and not the team. It's not that hard to figure out. There will be misses, that's just recruiting in general. It's happened with all coaches and it will happen with Pope.
The roster is fine, let the coaching staff get these guys together and on the same page. Come next March if it's a shitshow then those bitching now will have a reason to but if the results are above what's expected then I would hope those bitching now will step up and say They were wrong...I don't expect that to happen however.

What ? Butler has played against Elite talent. This level ? Go look up his games played while at San Diego State. He made it to the championship game, but I guess he played against all scrubs that year and his whole career. Oweh played in the Big 12, I know you didn't mention him, but he is another solid defender, same for Garrison. IF Williams can't hack it, and maybe even if he does turn out to be OK, I think Garrison eventually takes several minutes from him.
Has anyone on here watched entire games of these players? I watched 1 game of Almonor on 2x speed when I was bored.

I feel really good about Oweh, Chandler, Carr, Williams, and Garrison as all around players. The other players have their positives as well and have the common trait of being good spot up shooters.

We can make educated guesses, but I really don’t think we’ll know much about this team until they play a real game because of so many variables. This is not a typical situation.

Brea's last 5 games (tournament games)
Averaged 37.5 minutes per game , 15 pts per game, shooting 54% from three (20/37)

You paint an inaccurate picture of who Brea is
Not to mention, the guy probably has not a GD clue who Daron Holmes is. The offense ran thru Holmes and commanded touches every trip down the court. Also, he said Brea averaged 7 ppg. Also, not true. He averaged just over 11, and even though he didn't start, was still tied for 2nd leading scorer behind Holmes. Holmes took on average 10 2FG's per game, 2.5 3FG's, and shot 9 free throws per game. I say all that because he really was the 1st, 2nd option on offense. He is a 1st round pick this year. Maybe Brea didn't start, but he was third in minutes at over 29 per game. The guy has a lot of misinformed things in his post.

He may end up at UT but it apparently wasn't a slam dunk seeing that he was an apparent lock (in some minds) for UT just as soon as he announced he was transferring and here we are on June 25th with no answer.

Butler played 19 games against high major opponents over the course of his four years at San Diego State. Maybe I’ll go watch some of those games, although I’d really appreciate it if one of you would do me a solid and edit all these games for me to take out all the offensive possessions and stoppages so I can just watch him play defense.

I think Butler and Williams can probably provide top end defense. My point was most are overlooking how good the defense could be, but we have to see what it looks like once here in terms of level of competition, style, player rotations, etc.
I’ve watched 5 SDSU games so far, and the thing that is evident with Butler is his defensive instincts and fell are off the charts.

What is your definition of "high major" ?

Has anyone on here watched entire games of these players? I watched 1 game of Almonor on 2x speed when I was bored.

I feel really good about Oweh, Chandler, Carr, Williams, and Garrison as all around players. The other players have their positives as well and have the common trait of being good spot up shooters.

We can make educated guesses, but I really don’t think we’ll know much about this team until they play a real game because of so many variables. This is not a typical situation.
Love this! Yes you watch the videos put together where the guy never misses a shot or commits a TO. Or even better the video of guys coming out of high school and the video is only of them dunking the ball.

What are your thoughts on Butler’s offensive skills?
With SDSU offense it’s hard to really tell because their offense isn’t really built to highlight guys skillsets. They just forced the ball Leedee a lot. Butler is good off catch and shoot and did make good reads on plays. I think he like many of the guys will look better in popes offense given how open it is and how it’s set up

OK, did some schedule research and left many games out against teams like NM, Colorado, C. State, NM State. Their conference teams. But, SD State selected games : I just listed 10 games per year they played and didn't go back to his first two years to eclipse the 19 games stated by Bluesnky

23-24 Season
BYU
St. Marys
Washington
Cal
Stanford
Gonzaga
Nevada
Boise State
Utah St. (Osobors team)
UCONN

22-23 season :
BYU
Ohio State
Arizona
Arkansas
St. Marys
Stanford
Creighton
Alabama
UCONN

Since this thread has deviated while we await a decision, I’ll play along.

While no one knows the final outcome of the season, to those dismissing the current quality of players on the roster. Don’t forget, if you’re going to say we’ve missed on some players, we’ve also beat out UConn, Kansas, Carolina and others for players currently committed. That goes against the argument that it’s remain to be seen if Pope can recruit or these players aren’t good, unless you mean 5* talent.

Reactions: know1
Since this thread has deviated while we await a decision, I’ll play along.

While no one knows the final outcome of the season, to those dismissing the current quality of players on the roster. Don’t forget, if you’re going to say we’ve missed on some players, we’ve also beat out UConn, Kansas, Carolina and others for players currently committed. That goes against the argument that it’s remain to be seen if Pope can recruit or these players aren’t good, unless you mean 5* talent.
We didn't beat Uconn for anyone but who is these days?

What are your thoughts on Butler’s offensive skills?
He is not a great offensive player. What he is every team needs, a glue guy. Leader, does the dirty work, draws the toughest defensive assignment. Gets on the floor and gets after it. Very physical, and gives his all to win. He can get the tough points, but he has never really been a guy who hunts shots. He plays within the game and lets it come to him. MOST of his points come driving it in deep, attacking the guy guarding him.

Joe Adam’s said UK was out on Lanier yesterday, he lifted his curse after he said that. Right after the curse was lifted reports came in that we are not out. So I think we have a pretty good chance at Lanier now.

One writer called Pope's roster 'loaded.' Pointed out all the senior guys that have played really well where they came from and with that experience and talent to go with it thinks that we will have a great year. Said that a lot of the teams that have several older guys does not have the quality we have and a lot of teams have good young talent but doesn't have the experience and proven ability that our guys have. Also, the depth of so many talented experienced players a lot of teams don't have.

Reactions: UKhoopCat
Joe Adam’s said UK was out on Lanier yesterday, he lifted his curse after he said that. Right after the curse was lifted reports came in that we are not out. So I think we have a pretty good chance at Lanier now.
We're not out in order for Lanier to extract more money from UT

Pope and Chaz can both try to convert each other. lol

I bet Pope's LDS stuff costs us with more future recruits than Barnes' evangelical stuff would have.

I know how evangelicals are towards Mormons. It isn't something to downplay in future battles. Most Baptists, Pentecostals, Church of Christ, etc., think LDS is a cult.

It's the kind of thing that might have cost us Immanuel Quickley if Pope had been here back then.

Not sure it’s that big of an issue at least for Chaz. I’d think BYU would not be in his top 3 if it was and he likely wouldn’t have even visited there either if it was in consideration to some degree

What is your definition of "high major" ?
High major is ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Big East, PAC 12, and SEC.

I will say that the Mountain West has been pretty darn good the last couple years. Probably the top mid-major conference. That’s important.

Just my unsolicited two-cents, but I think this Pope debate here might be a lot of folks talking around or over each other when they might not really have much of a core disagreement. To me, the most sensible and rational take is that there is good reason for optimism but the proof will be in the pudding.

A concern about how Pope will do is valid if for no other reason than Pope is new. Nobody knows how this will play out. But the exact same thing would have been true of every coach UK has had in the past and every coach that might have been hired instead of Pope. On the other hand, those saying give Pope a chance (was that a song from the 60s or am I crazy?) also have a valid point. My guess is most fans can appreciate both points. So, if there is in fact a real and substantial disagreement here about Pope I suspect you have to dig deeper to see where it really comes from.

If the issues here pro and con Pope have to do with whether he’s a good enough tactician, teacher and gatherer of players, then wait-and-see is the only real answer – and even then there will be differing opinions on the level of that success.

But if someone’s support for Pope is simply he played for UK and I loved him, then that’s obviously not a rational coaching ability based opinion. Similarly, if someone’s issue with Pope is really rooted in “disappointed we didn’t get a bigger ‘name’” or “I love the idea or status of getting as many OAD freshmen as possible and I’m afraid Pope will use a different roster model,” then again that’s not a rational coaching ability based opinion. If your opinion fits in one of these categories then admitting it to yourself and saying so plainly would more quickly get to the heart of any real debate regarding Pope at this point.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Well for one get the damn stud talk crap out of your thought process that would help. That’s cal bs. Popes system is more sum of parts over one stud. They have a lot of really good players, I don’t get the posters like yourself who act like the roster is bad, and they have a bunch of scrubs. Laneir is a really good player and I want him here, if UT gets him that’s a really good gets for them. If Kentucky gets Robinson however it will work out for both parties. Lastly I’m not gonna sit here and make rash judgements about a team before they play a game.
Yeah, if you win conference defensive player of the Year every year you play you are a game-changing stud in my book and we have 3 total defensive monsters, defense has KILLED these elite freshmen constantly and we have bigger stronger more proven players in general instead of depending on that one alpha guy. One dimensional teams are easier to prepare a defensive plan for. Seems we've been through this process for 15 years.

Great post! We don't need five 5 stars but we do need one player that plays like a 5 star. The Alpha guy is so important in EVERY team sport.
That alpha guy 9 times out of ten is the bigger stronger older more experienced guy that's been there before, and we have that in spades spread out. That's how the 96 team operated, you never knew who was gonna go off that night and the whole team was turned up to 11 on defense. This is Pope's logic, he was captain of that squad too.

He is not a great offensive player. What he is every team needs, a glue guy. Leader, does the dirty work, draws the toughest defensive assignment. Gets on the floor and gets after it. Very physical, and gives his all to win. He can get the tough points, but he has never really been a guy who hunts shots. He plays within the game and lets it come to him. MOST of his points come driving it in deep, attacking the guy guarding him.
Sounds like an Anthony Epps/Wayne Turner type PG. I’m all in on that

True but we didn't beat out UConn for him. After they got Mahaney they didn't care about Brea.
That’s not how recruiting wins work, at least not according to this thread.

Who’s to say UConn knew they weren’t getting Brea so they took Mahaney? That would mean we beat them out for him.

This is the issue in this thread, no one knows the why’s. It’s a win or a lose, and yes that goes for anyone we’ve committed time to, but didn’t get.

As not to be distracted, the point is, we’re not recruiting scrubs and we’ve won out on our fair share so far.

That’s not how recruiting wins work, at least not according to this thread.

Who’s to say UConn knew they weren’t getting Brea so they took Mahaney? That would mean we beat them out for him.

This is the issue in this thread, no one knows the why’s. It’s a win or a lose, and yes that goes for anyone we’ve committed time to, but didn’t get.

As not to be distracted, the point is, we’re not recruiting scrubs and we’ve won out on our fair share so far.
According to some, were lucky if we get anybody and the ones we did get should be playing down at the YMCA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT