ADVERTISEMENT

Trilly update on Lanier visit

It's strange he didn't want to spend on Osobor,Davis or Lanier. Who is he saving it for?
my .02 cents is you have to balance out the team. You break the bank on one guy who is only marginally better than other players you've already locked in for 200 or 300K less and then you have a problem all season long.

If/when we land Robinson:

G - Butler
G - Brea
G - Robinson
F - Carr
C - Williams

With Chandler, Oweh, Garrison, Kriisa, and Almonor off the bench.

That's a decent squad for a stopgap measure season.
I think Oweh starts and Robinson continues his sixth man role. Not that it really matters that much.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I'm not going to judge this team based on their old stats. They are going to be playing for a different coach who recruited them for a specific style of play, and while I'm no expert, I don't think Pope's style focused on requiring a stud player.

Last years BYU stats had the leading scorer average 14.2 while the 7th guy on the roster was averaging 9.

Compare that to UT where Knecht averaged 21.2 points and second leading scorer averaged 11.2. The 7th man on their roster scored 5.1

UK had Reeves at 20.2 (1) and Thiero (7) at 7.2

I'm not going to judge this team based on their old stats. They are going to be playing for a different coach who recruited them for a specific style of play, and while I'm no expert, I don't think Pope's style focused on requiring a stud player.

Last years BYU stats had the leading scorer average 14.2 while the 7th guy on the roster was averaging 9.

Compare that to UT where Knecht averaged 21.2 points and second leading scorer averaged 11.2. The 7th man on their roster scored 5.1

UK had Reeves at 20.2 (1) and Thiero (7) at 7.2
The balance will be there, but even in BYU's last season, they needed a huge game from Robinson just to keep it close. I think Robinson went for 25 points in that tournament loss.

I like the potential balance of this upcoming UK team, but Robinson is such a huge piece. Pope simply can't miss on him.

We should at least expect Pope and company to bat better than .000% with top-end recruits, in the portal and out of highschool. Kentucky and it's fans should never temper expectations.
That’s what we’ve been told the last few years… Final Four or bust

Reactions: Warf2012
Writing is on the wall with guys like Sisk reporting a mutual parting of ways between the two parties (kentucky/chaz) just a matter of time before he commits to vols
The "mutual parting of ways" thing is just damage control.

UK failed in this recruitment and now the word spreading out of Lexington is that it was "mutual."

Not buying it. UT outrecruited us.

We got the money, so I say spend it, it isn’t my money
We have more NIL money than we’ve ever had and Mark (donny worry about his coaching he’s the NIL guy) Fox used it to build a fringe top 25 team. Passed on elite talent but hopefully it works out. Maybe these guys are the Chuck Hayes Gerald Fitch Erik Daniels Cliff Hawkins Marquis Estill type guys who can mesh together and be a damn good team.

Apparently sisk said it was a mutual split. Thats wierd of true. I’m on board with everything pope has done, but if he is doing this because of money then idk. At some point he is going to have to pay somebody, it’s just the way college basketball is now
UT I’m sure has promised the Daulton Knect role to Lanier with unlimited shots. My guess is that Pope would not commit to that.

You sure about that one?
As sure as can be for Spring of 2024 and no roster is complete as of May 2024. I would put this team as is against last years team and we win 8 out of 10 games against CAL. Pope is a much better x and o coach and these are full grown men, that can shoot, dribble, pass and score. They can play defense, muscle and bully if need be and make 3's from NBA range. line em up and lets go.

UK failed in this recruitment and now the word spreading out of Lexington is that it was "mutual."

funny if UK says I am willing to do x but not go to z because i do not feel you are worth z, it is a failure. When Chaz goes to UT, averages 8 to 10 points and is not the all start you think he is because he played 1 year of good basketball (not all star level, just good).

I hope when Pope is looking at portal players that fit his style, his system, what he wants, and says I am willing to pay this much and not a penny more, he sticks to it.

Out recruited, is laughable. Out payed maybe.

Man if you want a Hyundai at a Mercedes price go ahead.

funny if UK says I am willing to do x but not go to z because i do not feel you are worth z, it is a failure. When Chaz goes to UT, averages 8 to 10 points and is not the all start you think he is because he played 1 year of good basketball (not all star level, just good).

I hope when Pope is looking at portal players that fit his style, his system, what he wants, and says I am willing to pay this much and not a penny more, he sticks to it.

Out recruited, is laughable. Out payed maybe.

Man if you want a Hyundai at a Mercedes price go ahead.
So the guy with #1 in overall offensive efficiency in the nation, who did it while being focused on each game by opponents and still managed to average 20/game wasn't really worth the tag, eh?

I suddenly remember how some of you have attempted to cope over the years.

I bet you would have bought low on Reeves as well when he was just leaving Illinois State.

Good call.

I trust that Pope had a cap for bringing Chaz onboard and if he decides to go to UT then he surpassed that cap. Again, we are not privy to all of the factors that goes into his decision. We had heard that both UK and UT would not get into a bidding war so not sure if UT decided that they needed him more so they increase their offer. Maybe it was the difference on how both teams would use him. At UK, part of the Pope system. At UT, the next Dalton. In the end, we probably won't know but then again these guys making predictions have been wrong before. We shall see.

I do agree with that just letting the guy know what the latest is aa far as what is being reported.

it sounded all along that he was UT's to lose.

I'm never going to be in the mindset that if UK needs a player they go all in.

its Moneyball sabermetrics basketball with the NIL

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
If/when we land Robinson:

G - Butler
G - Brea
G - Robinson
F - Carr
C - Williams

With Chandler, Oweh, Garrison, Kriisa, and Almonor off the bench.

That's a decent squad for a stopgap measure season.
Mid to bottom section of the the SEC. If we make the tourney I hope it's an 11 seed as those always needs to have some upsets over 6 seeds.

I would hope for 25/26 we get back to what Kentucky should be.

Lanier was always going to Tenn. They can give him ball/shot dominance and unlimited minutes which Pope would not. They like the one dominate player system. Look at last year. He fits with them. He never was a good fit for Pope's system. He was only using Ky to get a bigger bag.

But Robinson fits perfectly. Need him.

• Haha
Reactions: readmorevols
That’s what we’ve been told the last few years… Final Four or bust
When Pope has top 2 ranked recruiting classes for 5 years and only manages one SEC tournament win and one NCAA tournament win, along with losses to St.Peters and Oakland (Michigan, not even the Oakland anyone has ever heard of), then get back to us. Weak attempt at some Cal nut hugging.

When Pope has top 2 ranked recruiting classes for 5 years and only manages one SEC tournament win and one NCAA tournament win, along with losses to St.Peters and Oakland (Michigan, not even the Oakland anyone has ever heard of), then get back to us. Weak attempt at some Cal nut hugging.
Calm down, Lead.

There are way too many who think failure is the end of the world. If you never fail, you were not trying hard enough!

Pope saw a guy in Lanier that would fit very well in his scheme and he gave it his best shot knowing the overwhelming favorite was Tennessee due to things outside of his control.

Sometimes you get into those situations and you find an unknown advantage you can use to sway the kid. Other times, you get in and you realize the kid really already has his mind made up, but he is looking to see if maybe Kentucky will throw an ungodly amount of money at him to secure his services. I don’t think Pope and his staff are willing to dramatically overpay for a player that really has allegiances elsewhere but because of the money he will play for one year. That doesn’t sound to me like the player Pope has said he will recruit where it means something just to have Kentucky on your chest.

Maybe but more than likely it was about relationships with a staff and coach that has been there for 10 years. Coach Pope hasn't been here 2 months yet. I think he has done a really good job since he arrived. Now let's see the product on the court. Coach Pope is still going to add 2 more players too.

Last edited:
Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT