ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer QB Peter Costelli

seccats04

All-American
Dec 6, 2004
I was just browsing the transfer portal on TOS and noticed Troy has a QB in the portal who was highly rated out of HS. I don't want to link it since I think that is against board rules? Looks like he signed with utah out of HS and transferred to Troy. Maybe Jon Sumrall could put in a good word for us? Costelli is also from California so maybe Coen has some connection there? I know we are at 85 scholarships currently but I'm sure we'll lose somebody before the year starts and I'm not confident at all in our backup QB's.

Anybody heard of this guy before and would there be any interest on UK's part?

I was interested in your post and my research indicates that he has not played a down for Utah or Troy. Of course, my research could be incorrect. Maybe he was a redshirt at Utah and injured at Troy ??

Rivals shows him as a Utah signee out of HS, RS there in '21 then transferred to Troy. I'm sure he's chasing PT, unlikely at UK.
You're probably right but with Leary's injury history, he may get some this year. And it may give him a leg up on next year's starting position. May be worth a look.

Not a single snap at Utah or Troy. Good size, good athlete. Former 4 star with lots of good offers out of high school. Entered the portal in December and still hasn't found a home. He could just be a guy who can't adjust to the speed of the game at this level and may be better served going down to the FCS, DII or even JUCO to see if he can get it going. One of the best high school QB that I saw play in person was a 5.9 four star named Willy Korn. He went to Clempson, then to Marshall, and finally finished his career at DII North Greenville College. QB recruiting is a massive crapshoot.

The portal window is closed now and will not open again until next winter. There is no indication that any of our 2023 signees will not enroll on time. Grad transfers can still go, but UK doesn't currently have any obvious candidates in that category. So forgive my curious skepticism.
Unless he walks on.

At the risk of sounding elitist, it's hard for me to get excited over a player who has been to two different schools since 2021 but has yet to play a down of college football.

Last edited:
Unless he walks on.

At the risk of sounding elitist, it's hard for me to get excited over a player who has been to two different schools since 2021 but has yet to play a down of college football.

I wasn't clear enough. I was saying that I am skeptical about the suggestion that any of UK's current players are about to leave. In an earlier post, I said UK's football roster is full. Then another poster said "not for long". He seems to be saying a current player will leave and our roster won't be full for long. At least, that's how I read it.

Thinking about it, though, we already have a walkon QB, Shane Hamm. Ahead of him are four scholarship QBs. Plus, Boley is committed for 2024. Aside from the question of why we would want another walkon QB, I don't see why another walkon QB would want to join the team right now. JMO.

You always want a solid #2 option at QB but I do believe we could be overreacting. It has been reported various places that the OC likes Sharon. It has been reported that Sharon has been working with Kurt Warner. I suspect Liam Coen has had a hand in getting Sheron and Warner together.

Reading this thread jogged my memory that we added a QB transfer from Dayton back in January, Shane Hamm. He played some last year for them. Not sure if he's on scholly or a PWO.

I wasn't clear enough. I was saying that I am skeptical about the suggestion that any of UK's current players are about to leave. In an earlier post, I said UK's football roster is full. Then another poster said "not for long". He seems to be saying a current player will leave and our roster won't be full for long. At least, that's how I read it.

Thinking about it, though, we already have a walkon QB, Shane Hamm. Ahead of him are four scholarship QBs. Plus, Boley is committed for 2024. Aside from the question of why we would want another walkon QB, I don't see why another walkon QB would want to join the team right now. JMO.
Agree 1000%.

Not trying to speak for the OP but I think he was wondering "what if" not that there's interest either way.

People transfer. People get in trouble. Stuff happens. Who knows where our roster will be after a summer and thru a couple weeks of fall camp. Full for now is great, though

Reactions: JASUN74
People transfer. People get in trouble. Stuff happens. Who knows where our roster will be after a summer and thru a couple weeks of fall camp. Full for now is great, though
I was only saying that our roster is currently full and there is no obvious evidence that anyone is about to leave, considering that the next transfer portal window opens in December. Players can leave anytime, but they can't transfer anytime unless they are grad transfers. We have very few players who would qualify as grad transfers, and none of those appear to be departing. So it looks like our roster will remain full for a while at least.

If this is his second transfer he would not be eligible to play this year anyway. Players transferring for the second time have to sit one year.
Unless transferring as a grad student, or unless granted a waiver. Based on weakening of enforcement in recent years, I am not feeling certain these rules will be strictly enforced when the rubber hits the road.

Reactions: kywildcat41086

Roster spots can open up for other reasons too. Academic ineligibility or disciplinary reasons come to mind.

I was only saying that our roster is currently full and there is no obvious evidence that anyone is about to leave, considering that the next transfer portal window opens in December. Players can leave anytime, but they can't transfer anytime unless they are grad transfers. We have very few players who would qualify as grad transfers, and none of those appear to be departing. So it looks like our roster will remain full for a while at least.

I wasn't responding to you. I was commenting on the topic

• Haha
Reactions: footerball
I wasn't responding to you. I was commenting on the topic
Okay. I offered my opinion, and I respect yours.

As you said, many factors impact roster attrition around the calendar year, and some are unpredictable. Opportunities to add have become better defined. There is the incoming recruiting class, and there are two scheduled transfer portal windows. Less predictable issues now are grad transfers and transfers allowed when a coaching change occurs.

It is most interesting that our football staff has mastered these issues, while our basketball staff appears captive to them or at least conflicted by them. This continues to be a fascinating and frustrating contrast.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT