ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer portal has gotten ridiculous

Last I heard there were over 1400 already in the portal this year. And earlier today I saw Yohan Traore from Auburn jumped in.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I thought I would like the freedom of movement it allowed, but have grown to hate every team basically being brand new every year. Hard to follow CBB these days when entire rosters turn over every off-season. 20 years ago, I knew every SEC teams’ roster because they had the same dudes for 2, 3, 4 years. Now I can’t name more than about three guys on any given team.

The transfer portal and NIL was just such an explosive combination. Not sure the NCAA fully thought out how dramatically the sport would be transformed by making two such huge rule changes at the same time.

Pretty much everybody is essentially a free agent for sale every year now. We don’t have to like it, but we do have to adapt to it if we want to maintain our status in this new CBB world.

They need to put the old transfer rule back in or get rid of NIL, both of those together are causing all kinds of chaos. There is less structure in the game than ever before. Everything is geared to the players calling all of the shots, so in essence the tail is wagging the dog and look at what's happening.

CBB is nothing more than a professional league with NIL and portal. Drop NIL or limit it to 50k per year and put back in year transfer rule. Let 5 stars go to G league or across the pond and play CBB with 2,3 and 4 stars. I would much rather have a product where players play 3 or 4 years instead of the product we have now.

The transfer portal and NIL was just such an explosive combination. Not sure the NCAA fully thought out how dramatically the sport would be transformed by making two such huge rule changes at the same time.

Pretty much everybody is essentially a free agent for sale every year now. We don’t have to like it, but we do have to adapt to it if we want to maintain our status in this new CBB world.
Yep...the 2 biggest changes in college basketball since the addition of the 3 point line in 1986 and the biggest change in rules since 1972 when freshman were made eligible immediately. And they both happened at the same time. It's a whole new world out there.

CBB is nothing more than a professional league with NIL and portal. Drop NIL or limit it to 50k per year and put back in year transfer rule. Let 5 stars go to G league or across the pond and play CBB with 2,3 and 4 stars. I would much rather have a product where players play 3 or 4 years instead of the product we have now.
NIL is here to stay. The NCAA has zero control over that.

I don't see how someone can think allowing players to freely transfer, without any wait period, is a good thing.

These guys have to have some skin in the game when they transfer. Whether it's a wait period or something.

CBB is nothing more than a professional league with NIL and portal.
It’s actually even crazier than professional leagues, because pro sports have established contractual rules that ensure a degree of roster stability.

Pros have to wait a few years until their contract expires and they become free agents before they can jump from team to team …whereas CBB stars are now essentially all free agents at the end of every season.

I don't see how someone can think allowing players to freely transfer, without any wait period, is a good thing.
Well, they think it's good for the players because it allows them freedom. Just not sure that 18-22s year old having that kind of freedom is good for them in a lot of cases.

Info on graduation rates in 3 years might be interesting.

Well, they think it's good for the players because it allows them freedom. Just not sure that 18-22s year old having that kind of freedom is good for them in a lot of cases.

Info on graduation rates in 3 years might be interesting.

It's not so much trying to restrict them for whatever reason. I'm fine with the notion that players can leave whenever they want and have the same freedom as a coach. But unfortunately, it just turns into a mass exodus. That's just how it's going to go. There will be no roster stability year over year.

Evidently it will work itself out but maybe need some tweaking. 1 time only transfer without having to sit out a year would fix a lot of this mess.

Last edited:
This is what happens when people get drunk on narratives like "player should be able to sell autographs" and "player should be free to switch teams at will". The structure that kept order around the sport gets removed, and things go sideways. But hey...power to the people!

Last edited:
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Amazing what happens when people have freedom to pursue their best interests

Yep- everyone loves capitalism until it impacts their favorite "amateur" sports team haha.

I love the transfer portal personally- that is if Cal ever decided to actually use it to bring in players to help us win a championship.

They need to put the old transfer rule back in or get rid of NIL, both of those together are causing all kinds of chaos. There is less structure in the game than ever before. Everything is geared to the players calling all of the shots, so in essence the tail is wagging the dog and look at what's happening.
Neither can or will ever happen

2 simple things that can fix this:

Multi-year NIL deals becoming the norm (similar to Nigel Pack's deal at Miami)

Division 1 institutes an "NIL cap" for each team to follow, much like a salary cap.

Multi-year deal would keep players at their school for longer, and would severely limit options for where players can transfer based on the schools that have "cap space".

Reactions: westerncat
You can’t “drop” NIL, it’s their right as laid out by the Supreme Court.

What you could do, theoretically is rule any player above a certain NIL warning limit ineligible (though this likely would be challenged in court). But you’d damage the product so bad it wouldn’t be worth it, and we’d just go to back to under the table payments anyway.

You’d stand a shot at the old transfer rules, but it seems like upper tier coaches like it most of the time since talent seems to funnel up.

I'm fine with the NIL part. I just wish they could find a way to keep rosters a little more intact. People HATED the way 1AD made some teams have rosters with too many new faces... imagine what the immediate transfer rule will do then?

Sometimes you're just desperate. I heard the Louisville Cardinal mascot bird entered the portal just the other day.

• Haha
Reactions: Smashcat
This is where college basketball is right now.
blocks-wrecked.gif

Like it or not, can't put any blame for NIL on the NCAA. NIL was the brain child of the obnoxious federal judge in the Ed O'Bannon case. She wanted it to be her legacy.

And I'm also among those who don't fault the NCAA for the current transfer rules. Too many lawsuits [along with clowns like Jay Bilas] were contending and too many liberal trial judges were buying into the argument that the original sit-out-one-year transfer rule was the antithesis of a non-employer/employee relationship, and that the sit-out-one-year rule supported the argument that scholarship athletes should be entitled to earnings/pay from the NCAA or their respective college. That's what eventually forced the transfer portal into being.

And yeah, I think they both suck.

Amazing what happens when people have freedom to pursue their best interests
Which for some their best interest can mean multiple Universities they play at. I can understand getting your choice wrong once, but twice? Three timesssss a ladyyyyyyy. (Sorry, little Lionel Richie there lol)

Like it or not, can't put any blame for NIL on the NCAA. NIL was the brain child of the obnoxious federal judge in the Ed O'Bannon case. She wanted it to be her legacy.

And I'm also among those who don't fault the NCAA for the current transfer rules. Too many lawsuits [along with clowns like Jay Bilas] were contending and too many liberal trial judges were buying into the argument that the original sit-out-one-year transfer rule was the antithesis of a non-employer/employee relationship, and that the sit-out-one-year rule supported the argument that scholarship athletes should be entitled to earnings/pay from the NCAA or their respective college. That's what eventually forced the transfer portal into being.

And yeah, I think they both suck.
NIL was the result of laws passed by state legislatures, not the O’Bannon case.

And the NCAA has much more to fear from conservative judges than from liberal ones. It was liberal judges who were most responsible for shielding the NCAA from scrutiny for decades.

I am thinking about entering my name in the portal and posting my old high school recruiting bio just to see if I get any offers.

I am 70+++.

• Haha
Reactions: kywildcat41086
Students can transfer schools whenever.
It appears student-athletes may be allowed to do the same.
A conundrum … to say the least.

NIL was the result of laws passed by state legislatures, not the O’Bannon case.

And the NCAA has much more to fear from conservative judges than from liberal ones. It was liberal judges who were most responsible for shielding the NCAA from scrutiny for decades.
You beat me to it….I was also going to bring up that the conservatives on the Supreme Court sure weren’t fans of the NCAA or their arguments in the case that spurred all these changes. It’s pretty rare that both sides of the ideological spectrum agree on any issue these days but the NCAA got them unanimously upset.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT