ADVERTISEMENT

Toppins comments on Wheeler

only natural for players to defend each other on most teams, but Toppins wants someone else to take the heat since he can not play consistently. He is up and down like a yo yo. Fans had hoped for a major improvement over Brooks, but in reality, they are just about the same player
Wheeler needs limited minutes and none at clutch time
I’d say Brooks was a more consistent offensive threat even taking 10 20 foot jumpers a game but Toppin did do what he should the second half the other night. He’s best at the SEC logo passing, getting inside for some buckets, and rebounding. That’s his game.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Really important. I know a lot of people are talking bad about him, but this team is nothing without Sahvir. He does a lot for us, whether he's starting, whether he's coming off the bencch. He brings a lot of energy to this team and he changes the pace of the game on the offensive end. He defends very well. even though he's small, he fights, he's tough. So all the negative comments about him can go out the window. He's really important to this team and we need him in order to do something special.”

“The media always tries to put someone against the wall, bring somebody down. And like I said, it can take a toll on somebody's mental and a lot of people don't know what we go through behind the scenes. I just want to make it aware that he's really important to this team. Without him this team wouldn't be anything so I just want everyone to know that.”

In my opinion Wheelers only role on this team is to sit on the bench unless Wallace is in foul trouble. I wouldn’t let him have 15 minutes a game, he just hurts this team a lot when he’s on the court.
Maybe the bench is a good place for you. Other than not playing the point guard position to your liking, this young man hasn't done anything deserving of the daily criticism that he receives. He doesn't belittle fans. You don't hear that he is being disruptive and causing a division within the team or anything like that. If you don't like him, focus your anger at the person who brought him to the team and puts him on the court. He didn't play at all 2 games ago. He didn't start in the last game and received very little playing time when he did go in. Is that enough for you or have you made a sport out criticizing him? How about saving further criticism for him when or if he gets back into the game and screws up? ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!

Last edited:
Our ignorant, inbred trash fans are destroying the program. Of course, they would rather ignore that fact and blame others. I would say when Cal leaves, a lot of these inbred KY fans will probably get their wish of an all KY players team again. Can't wait to see how much you morons enjoy that. What will be the bigger thrill for you all, watching all KY players or cashing your government check every month?
I'm glad Cal won all our championships. Oh, wait.

Our ignorant, inbred trash fans are destroying the program. Of course, they would rather ignore that fact and blame others. I would say when Cal leaves, a lot of these inbred KY fans will probably get their wish of an all KY players team again. Can't wait to see how much you morons enjoy that. What will be the bigger thrill for you all, watching all KY players or cashing your government check every month?
Damn is that you Cal?

Wouldn’t expect anything less from a teammate having Wheeler’s back. But Wheeler should be a backup in case of foul trouble or injuries. Reminds me of Cliff Hawkins. For every good play he makes he has an equally bad play.

I don’t think other programs have players drug through the mud like at Kentucky
I hope our team understands that the haters on social media are just a small portion of this proud fanbase.

If I were Wheeler reading comments here and elsewhere, I'd be fluctuating between rage and depression. We really do need him to embrace a lesser role on the team, assuming that truly is what it must be. I definitely see that is true, by the way. But the incessant attacks on him here, thread after thread, do get irritating. And they are unnecessary. It has been said a thousand times.

As I've said here in other threads, I am sure he will still have his day and will help this team in a critical game and at a critical time, perhaps multiple times before this season is done. The people saying he should never play are wrong for multiple reasons. Less minutes? No doubt. No longer a starter? Yes. I think we've seen that. But the hateful comments about him, and please don't act like they're not here every single day, are over the top and unnecessary. He still has a role to play on this team and we should all want

Isnt policing these “hateful comments” “incessant attacks” the role of a moderator?

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Get in the gym and fix your shot, make it so when you do come off that bench you are the most effective player on the court. Otherwise ya it is tough, fans can be tough when losing.
Turn off social and go to work.
He's actually shooting the ball good from distance this season. Same percentage as Wallace. 38% 2.5 attempts per game

How is it embarrassing to tell these kids to not read the internet about themselves? Tell me.
Maybe people like you shouldn't produce content that they shouldn't read. How about that? I am sure you are better at giving advise than taking it.

If I were Wheeler reading comments here and elsewhere, I'd be fluctuating between rage and depression. We really do need him to embrace a lesser role on the team, assuming that truly is what it must be. I definitely see that is true, by the way. But the incessant attacks on him here, thread after thread, do get irritating. And they are unnecessary. It has been said a thousand times.

As I've said here in other threads, I am sure he will still have his day and will help this team in a critical game and at a critical time, perhaps multiple times before this season is done. The people saying he should never play are wrong for multiple reasons. Less minutes? No doubt. No longer a starter? Yes. I think we've seen that. But the hateful comments about him, and please don't act like they're not here every single day, are over the top and unnecessary. He still has a role to play on this team and we should all want him to do well.
The incessant threads about Wheeler are because we have a coach that fails to see what all the Bennies do. Cal forcing him into what he’s not is what is responsible for the incessant threads.

Basically Wheeler is caught in the blast radius of his bull headed coach.

He is who he is. I don't know why we need this incessant debate. Coming off the bench to spell someone is what his role should be

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Maybe people like you shouldn't produce content that they shouldn't read. How about that? I am sure you are better at giving advise than taking it.
People like me? Content he shouldn't read? Look you fool, show me where I've ever said anything bad about Wheeler? My advice about players not reading social media and message boards isn't embarrassing. It's sound and reasonable. No public figure should indulge in it. I have no idea why you went in on me, but let's go.

As I've said here in other threads, I am sure he will still have his day and will help this team in a critical game and at a critical time, perhaps multiple times before this season is done. The people saying he should never play are wrong for multiple reasons. Less minutes? No doubt. No longer a starter? Yes. I think we've seen that. But the hateful comments about him, and please don't act like they're not here every single day, are over the top and unnecessary. He still has a role to play on this team and we should all want him to do well.
Do you think there are any posters here who don’t want to him to do well?

These guys gave up immunity to criticism the instant NIL came into play. Wheeler isn’t out there playing subpar for free. And it has been proven, not only by posters on this board but professional basketball analysts. that Wallace over Wheeler is a key ingredient to the best line up in all of college basketball.

I do agree that saying things like “Wheeler is trash” is needless and unproductive. And while I don’t agree with it I don’t think the proper response to said criticism is to whine about it when you’re making 6-7 figures playing a game. You either work hard to change perception and the cold hard numbers or you keep quiet, collect your check, and either suffer through like the rest of us do or move to a school where you feel you’ll be happier.

Wheeler’s destiny and perception are almost entirely in his control. Albeit, there will always be folks who don’t like him. That’s life. There are people who don’t like Jesus so I’m not sure how you expect Wheeler to go through life with not afforded to the only perfect being to grace this planet.

I understand they are good friends so taking up for him is fine.But the true fact is this team has been much better on offense without him and he hasn't improved at all.
Not just that but wheeler makes toppin look much better. Toppin wants to flash and flare too. When he was forced into a role against UGA he was pretty good but not flashy. I don’t think toppin likes the role though tbh. He wants to be runnin and gunnin.

People like me? Content he shouldn't read? Look you fool, show me where I've ever said anything bad about Wheeler? My advice about players not reading social media and message boards isn't embarrassing. It's sound and reasonable. No public figure should indulge in it. I have no idea why you went in on me, but let's go.
Name calling is representative of a low IQ. Void of anything else, name calling is all you got.

only natural for players to defend each other on most teams, but Toppins wants someone else to take the heat since he can not play consistently. He is up and down like a yo yo. Fans had hoped for a major improvement over Brooks, but in reality, they are just about the same player
Wheeler needs limited minutes and none at clutch time
Toppin and Wheeler both shoot bad at least Toppin dont shoot as much.

Name calling is representative of a low IQ. Void of anything else, name calling is all you got.
As I said, show me where I've said anything bad about Wheeler? What? You can't? No. You confused me with someone else. Put up or shut up. Show me the posts. Go ahead.

The kids all conference, people need to quit picking at him, it ridiculous that our fans talk bad about one of our players who is giving 100%.

Reactions: LmdCat
As I said, show me where I've said anything bad about Wheeler? What? You can't? No. You confused me with someone else. Put up or shut up. Show me the posts. Go ahead.
It is worse than I thought. You are now responding to your own questions. Wow! Maybe you should take the advice you want Wheeler to take and stop reading social media.

Most sane fans know Wheeler can be a valuable piece to this team. You don't lead the SEC in assists like 3 years running if you're not any good. In the open court, the kid can be a nightmare. He struggles in half-court offense and defense. There are gonna be games we really need him. There are gonna be games when Wallace is in foul trouble or hurt, and we need Wheeler to step up.
College bb unfortunately and especially Cals style is all half court so where does wheeler fit. He can break a press but if he can’t hit fts you can’t play him. He can pass but if he one Good play then one bad play he’s unplayable. Like I said from the get go. Wheeler developed habits under crean and he is unable to break them. Sure he has some tools to contribute but he doesn’t have it between the ears. His mistakes are mental and when he goes wild the game can flip 6 -8 points before you blink. Then our team has to work even harder. Wheeler won’t be hated if he accepts what his game does to the team and fix it pronto. If he can’t fix it he has to accept that role. Any discord from wheeler to mess with chemistry will mark him as the most maligned player in uk basketball history. It’s all in wheelers court as to how fans view him. Guys who mope after a declining role become toxic to the team. We’ve seen it with alot of guys under cal. Guys who support their teammates no matter what their roles are embraced. It’s wheeler call not the fans.

Wouldn’t expect a teammate to be like “yeah you see how we’re winning without him”. I think it’s become clear to everyone that Wheeler has to play a diminished role. Jacob handled it diplomatically by somewhat subliminally acknowledging that Wheeler would come off the bench moving forward. There’s also those like me who have advocated not playing him whatsoever and facilitating his transfer to a better fit. We also have to accept that Wheeler will be playing a role on this team. I’ll stand by my opinion that it will hurt the team and severely limit our chances at making the tournament, much less tournament success. But he’s part of whatever it is that has been built, so I’ll have to deal with the frustration.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT