ADVERTISEMENT

Toppins comments on Wheeler

Dec 19, 2022
Really important. I know a lot of people are talking bad about him, but this team is nothing without Sahvir. He does a lot for us, whether he's starting, whether he's coming off the bencch. He brings a lot of energy to this team and he changes the pace of the game on the offensive end. He defends very well. even though he's small, he fights, he's tough. So all the negative comments about him can go out the window. He's really important to this team and we need him in order to do something special.”

“The media always tries to put someone against the wall, bring somebody down. And like I said, it can take a toll on somebody's mental and a lot of people don't know what we go through behind the scenes. I just want to make it aware that he's really important to this team. Without him this team wouldn't be anything so I just want everyone to know that.”

In my opinion Wheelers only role on this team is to sit on the bench unless Wallace is in foul trouble. I wouldn’t let him have 15 minutes a game, he just hurts this team a lot when he’s on the court.

Really important. I know a lot of people are talking bad about him, but this team is nothing without Sahvir. He does a lot for us, whether he's starting, whether he's coming off the bencch. He brings a lot of energy to this team and he changes the pace of the game on the offensive end. He defends very well. even though he's small, he fights, he's tough. So all the negative comments about him can go out the window. He's really important to this team and we need him in order to do something special.”

“The media always tries to put someone against the wall, bring somebody down. And like I said, it can take a toll on somebody's mental and a lot of people don't know what we go through behind the scenes. I just want to make it aware that he's really important to this team. Without him this team wouldn't be anything so I just want everyone to know that.”

In my opinion Wheelers only role on this team is to sit on the bench unless Wallace is in foul trouble. I wouldn’t let him have 15 minutes a game, he just hurts this team a lot when he’s on the court.
I’d probably take the opinion of a player over someone posting on a message board, but that’s just me.

I’d probably take the opinion of a player over someone posting on a message board, but that’s just me.
Normally I'd agree with you. But these last 2 games UK has played significantly better when Wheeler has not been on the court and it's netted 2 good wins. I don't need a player to talk about that when I can see it with my own two eyes. Having said that, I do think Wheeler can contribute in a positive way, it just needs to be in a somewhat reduced role.

If I were Wheeler reading comments here and elsewhere, I'd be fluctuating between rage and depression. We really do need him to embrace a lesser role on the team, assuming that truly is what it must be. I definitely see that is true, by the way. But the incessant attacks on him here, thread after thread, do get irritating. And they are unnecessary. It has been said a thousand times.

As I've said here in other threads, I am sure he will still have his day and will help this team in a critical game and at a critical time, perhaps multiple times before this season is done. The people saying he should never play are wrong for multiple reasons. Less minutes? No doubt. No longer a starter? Yes. I think we've seen that. But the hateful comments about him, and please don't act like they're not here every single day, are over the top and unnecessary. He still has a role to play on this team and we should all want him to do well.

only natural for players to defend each other on most teams, but Toppins wants someone else to take the heat since he can not play consistently. He is up and down like a yo yo. Fans had hoped for a major improvement over Brooks, but in reality, they are just about the same player
Wheeler needs limited minutes and none at clutch time

🤔I'll take the opinion of Kentucky fans who have been watching basketball longer than this Toppin has been alive.... Three or four times his age some of us.🫴
🤙In our professional opinion as fans 92% of us think Wheeler sucks balls and wish for him to pay 5 minutes or less. 💯💯💯💯💯💯💯💯 We care about winning around here not losing. And if you want to lose toppin you can stay on the bench with him with your 16% from three-point line.💯 If ain't wheeler it's your ass causing uk to lose believe that shite..... go look at the stats my friend.💯 You're freaking worse than him at shooting...by alot. And that's saying something. Oh you might play okay Rupp arena but what you going to do on the road? N u t t i n... but.. missing. 💯
Shut the hell up ...you and him ain't done nothing but lose.

Last edited:
I'll take the opinion of Kentucky fans who have been watching basketball longer than this Toppin has been alive.... Three or four times his age some of us.
In our professional opinion as fans 92% of us think Wheeler sucks balls and wish for him to pay 5 minutes or less. We care about winning around here not losing. And if you want to lose toppin you can stay on the bench with him with your 16% from three-point line. If ain't wheeler it's your ass causing uk to lose believe that shite..... go look at the stats my friend. You're freaking worse than him at shooting...by alot. And that's saying something

Sorry bro, not gonna bash players for sticking up for their teammate.

Coach speak coming from a player nothing else. What else do you think he’s going to say?

thanks coach

Normally I'd agree with you. But these last 2 games UK has played significantly better when Wheeler has not been on the court and it's netted 2 good wins. I don't need a player to talk about that when I can see it with my own two eyes. Having said that, I do think Wheeler can contribute in a positive way, it just needs to be in a somewhat reduced role.
The 2nd best lineup that UK has had is Wheeler, Reeves, CJ, Toppin, and Oscar. It's also now the lineup with the least amount of possessions played. So one could also say that whoever plays PG may not be the most important part of this teams success. Not saying that Sahvir needs all the PG minutes, but I am saying that Sahvir can also succeed when it's the right situation. What gets him in trouble is when he's trying to do it all. He should succeed more in a less pressure role, but most fans will trash his game play no matter what he does.

He still can have a role on the team, but he does need to accept his minutes will
ultimately go down.

Most sane fans know Wheeler can be a valuable piece to this team. You don't lead the SEC in assists like 3 years running if you're not any good. In the open court, the kid can be a nightmare. He struggles in half-court offense and defense. There are gonna be games we really need him. There are gonna be games when Wallace is in foul trouble or hurt, and we need Wheeler to step up.

If I were Wheeler reading comments here and elsewhere, I'd be fluctuating between rage and depression. We really do need him to embrace a lesser role on the team, assuming that truly is what it must be. I definitely see that is true, by the way. But the incessant attacks on him here, thread after thread, do get irritating. And they are unnecessary. It has been said a thousand times.

As I've said here in other threads, I am sure he will still have his day and will help this team in a critical game and at a critical time, perhaps multiple times before this season is done. The people saying he should never play are wrong for multiple reasons. Less minutes? No doubt. No longer a starter? Yes. I think we've seen that. But the hateful comments about him, and please don't act like they're not here every single day, are over the top and unnecessary. He still has a role to play on this team and we should all want him to do well.
If you were Wheeler I'd tell you not to read comments about yourself on message boards. 🙄

There are so many inconvenient truths to this team. One is indeed that Wheeler must be used in speciality situations. But another, and I know this is hard to swallow, but Toppin is one of the keys to this team. He must rebound. He must play shutdown D (and not give up layups with one on the shot clock); he must drive to the hole and make clutch buckets; he must make good decisions in the middle of the zone; and he must help unify the team. Good, bad or ugly we need Jacob Toppin to thrive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT