ADVERTISEMENT

Toppin charge call

We were up 4 and Toppin pretty much goes straight up and there is contact. He makes basket and it looks like one ref calls it an and one and then gets over ruled. Could have put us up 7. Big call that didn’t look like a charge.
True...huge play and difficult to understand why we are mostly victimized by this play number one, and number two, why there isn't a third option for the refs, that being a "no call." That was the time for it to not call anything there except "play on." The defense shouldn't be allowed to come into the offensive players path at the very last second like he did, and the guy was still sliding over laterally. Terrible call that once again ALWAYS seems to go against us...it's maddening. I know we got one with Sarr, but count em up and we lost on the charging score tonight also.

There was also a Sarr missed put back that is an easy win. Refs are Refs, but Sarr makes the easy slam and doesn't try to do the whole Shaq routine we win. Also love how Jacob toppin was a key hate point here after 2 games and were just looking past Askews trash can performances.

There was also a Sarr missed put back that is an easy win. Refs are Refs, but Sarr makes the easy slam and doesn't try to do the whole Shaq routine we win. Also love how Jacob toppin was a key hate point here after 2 games and were just looking past Askews trash can performances.
Askew was awful, could not even get the offense started.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If anything is killin college basketball it’s the block/charge call. Refs are so quick to call charges, but the refs really called it poorly in the first 10 of the second half.
I've said it many times but I'll say it again. The Charge/Block call needs to be abolished. It encourages poor defense and attempting to stop your feet and flop.

It is the hardest call to make consistently because it is purely judgement in a bangbang play. 80% of the time it should be a block but they almost call it a charge at that rate bc College officials love it.

It is also a player safety concern bc hard wood is hard and you have guys sliding under one another and crashing to the floor.

Offensive fouls are already a thing. If a player shoves off or bull dozes through someone out of control, that is still an offensive foul. No reason for the added category that encourages coaches to teach flopping, heightens the risk of injury, and is the biggest judgement and inconsistent call in the game. Simplifying the rules to take as much judgement out is always a good thing (ball hits the backboard on a shot attempt then its and auto goaltend if touched after instead of the old way of "well was it on the way up or down")

Be a man, move your feet and play D, "drawing charges" is a cop out for someone who can't defend their guy.

I've said it many times but I'll say it again. The Charge/Block call needs to be abolished. It encourages poor defense and attempting to stop your feet and flop.

It is the hardest call to make consistently because it is purely judgement in a bangbang play. 80% of the time it should be a block but they almost call it a charge at that rate bc College officials love it.

It is also a player safety concern bc hard wood is hard and you have guys sliding under one another and crashing to the floor.

Offensive fouls are already a thing. If a player shoves off or bull dozes through someone out of control, that is still an offensive foul. No reason for the added category that encourages coaches to teach flopping, heightens the risk of injury, and is the biggest judgement and inconsistent call in the game. Simplifying the rules to take as much judgement out is always a good thing (ball hits the backboard on a shot attempt then its and auto goaltend if touched after instead of the old way of "well was it on the way up or down")

Be a man, move your feet and play D, "drawing charges" is a cop out for someone who can't defend their guy.
Amen, been screaming this for years and it’s been killing us since cal got here especially since he recruits the guys that get to the rim. It’s a garbage play and is unwatchable. It’s starting to ruin the nba some too

^^^What is even more maddening is if the refs actually followed the block/charge rule, as written, it would almost never be called---or it would be a defensive foul. Almost always. Yet, these officials, literally appear to do the exact opposite of what the rule calls for. IOW, it really appears/seems that the refs literally have to WANT to make that call. Otherwise, if the refs were making a good faith effort to enforce the rule (as written), then there is no way their would be 10 charges a game. No way.

I also agree with the poster above. It feels like UK is on the wrong end of these calls far more often than not. Massive. Momentum changing calls.

Ask yourself a question- if charges are called at such a rapid rate in college why isn’t Cal teaching it? We very seldom draw one yet other teams are going down like crazy
Another example of poor Coaching

• Sad
Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
^^^What is even more maddening is if the refs actually followed the block/charge rule, as written, it would almost never be called---or it would be a defensive foul. Almost always. Yet, these officials, literally appear to do the exact opposite of what the rule calls for. IOW, it really appears/seems that the refs literally have to WANT to make that call. Otherwise, if the refs were making a good faith effort to enforce the rule (as written), then there is no way their would be 10 charges a game. No way.

I also agree with the poster above. It feels like UK is on the wrong end of these calls far more often than not. Massive. Momentum changing calls.

it’s no secret our offense is based on Drive Drive Drive .. teams know to post us up in the lane. And we have young idiots who think this is AAU ball . Bad combo

Askew makes some pretty awful decisions right now, Mintz should definitely be starting over him

Foul disparity at its best
Every big time game, refs cheat us.
Its not Cal, or the team, its refs. Every time!

Reactions: ManitouDan

Exactly. So just take the human judgement aspect out to the max extent possible and simplify the rulebook. If you stop your feet and fall (not being bulldozed through and tumbling) then its an auto D foul.

The worse thing to happen to college ball is when they changed how they called the B/C. You use to have to be completely set, no movement, and then they started saying "legal guarding position" and you get all the feet still sliding and all that trash.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
Refs weren’t great, but our offense was awful. Refs are no excuse for this one
Yes our offense was bad. But how many of our drives were there no fouls called compared to the number of "breathing near the shooter" fouls were called on us for their drives?
An evenly called game, and you take away 8-10 free throws from them and/or add 8-10 for us. That is the difference in the game.
I wish we would have made more open shots and this would not be a discussion. But, we didn't. Still no excuse for the blatantly bad calls we were getting. Especially the first 7 minutes of the second half. That stretch lost the game for us.

I absolutely hate discussing officiating. It sounds/feels like an excuse or sore loser type schtick. That said, to go to the other end of the spectrum and act like it has no effect on the game---IMO---is an incredibly poor take. It absolutely effects games. Unequivocally, it effects games. When a team isn't shooting above 30%, but they get to shoot FTs in an empty arena----it makes a difference. It will likely cost a team a game.

Couple that with the obvious implications foul trouble causes a young team---and it may be THE single biggest factor in a game, and YET officials don't take a shot, make a pass, or guard any single player.

I am excited about this team's defensive potential. However, the Rebounding last night in the second half was atrocious by our wings. BRAUN with double digit rebounds? Terrible.

Toppin and Jackson were the good parts of this game.

Our "super-stud" frosh in Askew, Clarke, and Boston were horrible and we still almost beat a top 7 team. I am not happy, but there is a lot to imagine when it comes to potential for this team.
I will admit they played a little bit better than against Richmond but Kansas ain’t no powerhouse team this year. I don’t even know if they are a top 20 team.

They might as well change the rule to where if a guy falls down it's an auto-charge. It would at least eliminate the false hope that the ref would do anything other than an overdramatic air punch
Yes , please quit rewarding floppers . Unless you bulldozer someone it’s a block. Far far far too many times defenders with very little position take a dive and it’s rewarded . Ruining college ball.

As long as flopping is rewarded 90% of the time, driving to the basket at all is basically a turnover. It's ridiculous

It was a terrible call. Same with Clarke "over the back" when he just had longer arms.

But Sarr missing that putback dunk probably cost the game given the situation/momentum/etc.

I agree and have thought this for many years...just get rid of the charging call and give the advantage to the person driving the basketball. Defend the drive by moving your feet and trying to block the shot.

Reactions: EliteBlue
That play pissed me off

Reactions: BlueWorldOrder74
The fouls called on rebounds was where I thought they made calls that seemed one sided. The block charge calls I hate and the one on Toppin was asinine, the others where what they always seem to call. They seem to give the benefit of the doubt to teams who play us because we drive the ball all game long. It’s in the scouting report and teams set up to take charges and the refs feel like they got to make a call when bodies collide. Refs like to call the charge. But they called a stupid amount of fouls on rebounds and then let the same play go uncalled in the other end.

Reactions: Greatestalltime

Are you an official? How is the block charge rule written? By the way I have been an official for 24 years.

Reactions: aikenite4uk
It was a terrible call. Same with Clarke "over the back" when he just had longer arms.

But Sarr missing that putback dunk probably cost the game given the situation/momentum/etc.
Man the over the back was egregious. Clarke rebounds the ball as the guy is backing up into him to block him out and it’s an over the back? If I recall Clarke didn’t even need to jump, just grabbed the ball.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
Toppin and Jackson were the good parts of this game.

Our "super-stud" frosh in Askew, Clarke, and Boston were horrible and we still almost beat a top 7 team. I am not happy, but there is a lot to imagine when it comes to potential for this team.

KU clearly not top 7

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT