ADVERTISEMENT

Top portal players a week from May 1 deadline

Apr 8, 2024
As of 4.24.24, here are top 50 portal playing remaining. Deadline is May 1 , a week from today. Kentucky will probably need to get anywhere between 7 and 10 more players from the portal , unless we can land some freshmen or international players.

Who do we get from the targets discussed ?

Richie Saunders ( visited ) Great Osobor( visiting) , Aidan Mahaney( visiting) Brandon Garrison, Koby Brea, Otega Oweh, Andrej Stojakovic( working to set a visit), TJ Bamba, TJ Power, Sean Stewart, Elijah Hawkins, Javon Small, etc.

it looks like this year, Kentucky will have to break the record on how many players we get from the transfer portal.

Anyone knows what’s the most players transferred by a power 5 team from the portal?

Reactions: Fox2monk
As of 4.24.24, here are top 50 portal playing remaining. Deadline is May 1 , a week from today. Kentucky will probably need to get anywhere between 7 and 10 more players from the portal , unless we can land some freshmen or international players.

Richie Saunders ( visited ) Great Osobor( visiting) , Aidan Mahaney( visiting) Brandon Garrison, Koby Brea, Otega Oweh, Andrej Stojakovic( working to set a visit), TJ Bamba, TJ Power, Sean Stewart, Elijah Hawkins, Javon Small, etc.

Am I being a bit greedy if I want the top 3? It’s not too much to ask, I don’t think.

Reactions: catfan220
it looks like this year, Kentucky will have to break the record on how many players we get from the transfer portal.

Anyone knows what’s the most players transferred by a power 5 team from the portal?
When McMahon went to LSU from Murray St. I think only one player stayed at LSU. He brought several from Murray tho.

Reactions: AJG-15
I'd like 2, 18, 36, and any other wing on the list(or McNeeley).

Last edited:
Reactions: AJG-15

Just for the record, these lists are terrible. I wouldn't trust them at all.
Here is my list, in order, based on player efficiency ratings from 2023-24, minutes played >750, which accounts for those who played "starter minutes" for the year:

Vladislav Goldin - C
Amari Williams - C - UK Commit
Aubin Gateretse - C
Jalen Smith - PG
DJ Burns - PF
Matt Cross - PF
Great Osobor - PF
Chaz Lanier - G
Anthony Dell-Orso - SF

From here up had player efficiency ratings higher than Zvonomir Ivisic, Reed Sheppard, Antonio Reeves, and Rob Dillingham in 2023-24. There are a couple more who also did but were left off the list for having less playing time than an average starter.

Jonas Aidoo - SF
BJ Freeman - PF
Jamarii Thomas - G
Johnell Davis - G - Trending Arkansas
Sean Stewart - G - played less than 750 minutes, but seems like a great player
Nana Owusu-Anane - PF
Deivon Smith - G
Clifford Omoruyi - C
Duncan Powell - C
Richie Saunders - G
Jalen Blackmon - G
Khalif Battle - G
Nikita Konstantynovskyi - C
Brycen Goodine - G
Andrew Carr - SF
Cade Tyson - SF
Tyler Bilodeau - PF
Max Shulga - G
Dante Maddox, Jr. - G
Marcus Hill - G
Kevin Miller - G
Dejour Reaves - G
Camren Hunter - G
Felix Okpara - C
Koby Brea - G
Jordan Pope - G
Dakota Leffew - G
Sean Pedulla - G
Aaron Scott - SF
Javon Small - G
Xavier Amos - PF
Brandon Garrison - C

From here up had player efficiency ratings higher than Adou Thiero, UK's 5th rated player in efficiency in 2023-24. There are a couple more who also did but were left off the list for having less playing time than an average starter.

Adou Thiero - SF
Ezra Ausar - PF

Aaron Bradshaw - PF - UK's 6th rated player in player efficiency 2023-24.

At this point, there are many players left in the portal that are below average in player efficiency from 2023-24. The above players listed are all above average. If we get 4-5 of the players listed above, we will be in as good of shape of any of the top programs for 2024-25. Start to worry when all of these drop off the board and there are no other players taking their place.

I'm hoping that we get back on the BJ Freeman train. The kid is super talented and has some Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to his game. It seems that this kid is flying under the radar. I would definitely take this kid as my PG.

I don't understand the Saunders thing. It was in the newspaper he committed, just hasn't signed the papers. Am I wrong?

I'm hoping that we get back on the BJ Freeman train. The kid is super talented and has some Shai Gilgeous-Alexander to his game. It seems that this kid is flying under the radar. I would definitely take this kid as my PG.
Kentucky contacted him when Cal was here. Not sure if Pope made contact with him.

3 committed , 2 already visited , 6 more visiting. We need from 8 visitors at least 7 to commit so Pope can have a 5 on 5 practice…

Just for the record, these lists are terrible. I wouldn't trust them at all.
I think this is the first time I've looked at the 247 ranking, and it's remarkable how different it is from some of the others I've seen. A lot of variability, and I think at some point you see what you want to see in your transfers. Probably easier to put them in tiers or groupings than try to give them real numerical rankings.

I hope we get him would be a great get for Kentucky.
Williams, Oweh, Orbosor and Smith would be a great four to build around. All four of those guys look mentally and physically tough and are great basketball players. Oweh is a huge key IMO because not only can he score from everywhere but is an excellent defender also. So with him and Williams being two of the best defenders we could possibly get that would be huge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT