ADVERTISEMENT

Top five UK games you saw in person

FurdTerguson

Sophomore
Jan 9, 2009
1. Beating Florida handily at Florida during the 98 season. They had handed us one of our four losses that season. Sweet revenge.

2. Beating Indiana in Rupp during the 84 season. Alford and Marty Simmons pushed us until the end.

3. Winning the UKIT during the 82 season.

4. Beating LSU in Rupp during the 85 season. LSU was favored.

5. Losing at Louisville during the 85 season. Kenny Walker had the Louisville crowd squirming. They expected a blowout but we only lost by seven.

My list is pretty modest but I'm betting some of you are going to have an awesome five.

1.) 2012 National Title Game in Kansas (only championship by any team I’ve witnessed in person)

2.) 2014 - Sweet 16 win vs. UofL

3.) 2011 - Anthony Davis block vs. UNC

4.) 2009 - John Wall UNC game

5.) 2014 - Aaron Harrison shot vs. Michigan

1. Tayshaun vs UNC
2. Tayshaun game winner vs Florida (free throw patented TP one hander push shot)
3. Pitino return to Rupp w/ Louisville

I will have to think about others. I went to UK from 1999-2003...those games above are my best memories.

I went to a few games before college, but not a ton. After college a handful...there was one game I was on the court as a personal guest by GF of Chuck Hayes...but I don't remember who we were playing.

Tough losses were Zion game and BCG loss to Gardner Webb. Also took a road trip to Chapel Hill for a loss to UNC in Rondo freshman year...awesome experience though.

I know we beat UT in a big game while I was at UK but don't remember season....would have been Slay and Yarborough time.

I didn't go to any games after 2008 season until the Zion game. Since then I've gone to 1 or 2 a year.

Would probably add the Oscar rebound game vs WKU. That was my first with second son.

1.) 2012 National Title Game in Kansas (only championship by any team I’ve witnessed in person)

2.) 2014 - Sweet 16 win vs. UofL

3.) 2011 - Anthony Davis block vs. UNC

4.) 2009 - John Wall UNC game

5.) 2014 - Aaron Harrison shot vs. Michigan
Dude that's an incredible list. I wonder if anyone has been to two or even three UK title games.

1. Tayshaun vs UNC
2. Tayshaun game winner vs Florida (free throw patented TP one hander push shot)

I will have to think about others. I went to UK from 1999-2003...those games above are my best memories.

I went to a few games before college, but not a ton. After college a handful...there was one game I was on the court as a personal guest by GF of Chuck Hayes...but I don't remember who we were playing.

Tough losses were Zion game and BCG loss to Gardner Webb. Also took a road trip to Chapel Hill for a loss to UNC in Rondo freshman year...awesome experience though.

I know we beat UT in a big game while I was at UK but don't remember season....would have been Slay and Yarborough time.

I didn't go to any games after 2008 season until the Zion game. Since then I've gone to 1 or 2 a year.

Would probably add the Oscar rebound game vs WKU. That was my first with second son.
Everyone says Rupp has never been louder than after Tayshaun's fifth three. Only thing I can think of is Wall vs UNC, AD's block, or Cedric Jenkins tip in.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
1. Tayshaun vs UNC

I’ve never left a game early. The Zion one we left with over 10 mins left.

• Sad
Everyone says Rupp has never been louder than after Tayshaun's fifth three. Only thing I can think of is Wall vs UNC, AD's block, or Cedric Jenkins tip in.

Yeah, that is my take. From some people who were at both, I've heard that game against Maryland when they had Steve Francis was crazy loud.

For my money, cannot imagine a louder moment. I was on rail in upper level and could feel (or it felt like) the ground was shaking. It was totally deafening.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
Helluva list man
Thank you, I was very fortunate to attend those games. Had a connection with the athletic department that no longer works there. Great memories that sustain me during soul crushing weekends like this one where my favorite college team loses to #1 by a point…and then my Bengals double down on the heartbreak and lose by a point to the two-time defending Super Bowl champions. 😫

Thank you, I was very fortunate to attend those games. Had a connection with the athletic department that no longer works there. Great memories that sustain me during soul crushing weekends like this one where my favorite college team loses to #1 by a point…and then my Bengals double down on the heartbreak and lose by a point to the two-time defending Super Bowl champions. 😫

Oh brother....lifelong Bengals fan. Infuriating ending.

1. 2012 2nd rd vs Iowa St
2. 2015 2nd rd vs Cincy
3. 2016 SECT final vs Tex Am
4. 2012 1st rd vs WKU
5. 2013 vs Florida (first game at Rupp)

They remind me of New England with Brady....horseshoe up their ass. (They being the Chiefs)
I mean, they are a great team. You have to put yourself in a position to be in the game at the end for the refs to make a call, and they always find a way to hang around. But my goodness, if it’s a 50/50 call they get it every single time. It’s why I don’t know if I’ll ever get over Burrow losing to the Rams, win that game and maybe he becomes the Golden Child and the Bengals are the ones getting the calls. From a pure football talent standpoint I don’t think there is a huge gap (if any) between him and Mahomes. It’s similar to Manning and Brady, I always thought Peyton was the more talented player but Tom had the rings. Until Peyton finally broke through. I just want to see Joe win one for the city of Cincinnati one time before he hangs them up.

I mean, they are a great team. You have to put yourself in a position to be in the game at the end for the refs to make a call, and they always find a way to hang around. But my goodness, if it’s a 50/50 call they get it every single time. It’s why I don’t know if I’ll ever get over Burrow losing to the Rams, win that game and maybe he becomes the Golden Child and the Bengals are the ones getting the calls. From a pure football talent standpoint I don’t think there is a huge gap (if any) between him and Mahomes. It’s similar to Manning and Brady, I always thought Peyton was the more talented player but Tom had the rings. Until Peyton finally broke through. I just want to see Joe win one for the city of Cincinnati one time before he hangs them up.
I'm a lifelong Rams fan so I was pretty happy with that result, but if my team isn't there I'll always pull for the team that's never won before. I remember how special that first one is.

I don't have a big list... but here is my last 3.

1. Terrance Jones getting the rookie scoring record 35 points vs Auburn
2. UK vs. Florida in 2024 in Gainesville where the Cats held on by 2 points.
3. Kentucky crushing Louisville on my birthday at the Yum Center 12/21/23

1. Kansas game in 1978 when UK came back from 6 down with about 23 seconds (pre 3 point shot) Many of the fans had already left.
2. Final game in Memorial Coliseum versus Miss. St miracle comeback.
3. Regional final in San Jose 1997 versus Utah. Mark Pope talked to me and my 4 kids for about 20 minutes after the game, and signed all our UK t-shirts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT