ADVERTISEMENT

Time to institute NIL buyout clauses

Girthang

All-American
Dec 12, 2019
If it's ok to pay them outright rather than doing true NIL, seems it's time to add buyout clauses to the NIL contracts these pro athletes are signing. They won't be paying them anyway, so it won't hurt the athletes.

We can also add a trade deadline where the schools can trade the NIL/athlete package to another school for cash, player(s), and/or extra "scholarship slots" to be used immediately or some time in the future. This way the athletes are still paid, but don't have to wait for the portal to announce their transfer.

While they're at it, the schools should add contact fees like there are in soccer and baseball leagues. If an NLI or NILA is signed, there should be a buyout fee set, and a contact fee paid to even talk to or negotiate with the prospect to gage interest.

If we're going to turn it into pro ball and such, then they need to go ahead and set some rules and put some safety nets in place for those investing in these athletes' futures.

TBH, I like where you're taking this. You wanna play the game, then play it all the way.

That's the only way to handle things, as all of the pro leagues have found out.

Eventually there should be program limits/salary caps as well to keep the integrity of the game intact, but that won't be possible for a few years. Need more real data on NIL upon which to base a standard/cap.

Reactions: BlueWhite21

Eventually there should be program limits/salary caps as well to keep the integrity of the game intact, but that won't be possible for a few years. Need more real data on NIL upon which to base a standard/cap.
The huge difference being players in pro leagues are in players unions and have collectively bargained and agreed to restrictions like this. This can't happen at the college level until college players also are in a union and collectively bargaining for a structure to NIL and the transfer portal.

They won't be able to because of how seriously everyone takes 'academics' though. That'll be the safety blanket of these 'student athletes'.

I like your sense of humor! Lmao!! "Student athletes"

With distance learning such a thing now, they can finish their classes remotely. With their hectic travel schedules, the portal, and loose transfer rules, they already spend so little time enriching the student body with their presence. What need is there for such antiquainted formalities?

Reactions: delk4three
The NCAA is not likely to add a half million employees (with most bringing in negative revenue) in an effort to give some percentage of fans (even if it is 100%) a better feeling of continuity for sports programs and definitely not over a snit with amorphous "concerns".

I think folks will have to adapt or find other hobbies for now.
9-0 Supreme Court decisions indicate few immediate or even mid term remedies are even possible.

The NCAA is not likely to add a half million employees

Yeah. The NBA was able to do that. Premier League too. Same for MLB and international leagues. Oh wait....

(with most bringing in negative revenue) in an effort to give some percentage of fans (even if it is 100%) a better feeling of continuity for sports programs and definitely not over a snit with amorphous "concerns".

Lol. What?

I think folks will have to adapt or find other hobbies for now.
9-0 Supreme Court decisions indicate few immediate or even mid term remedies are even possible.

I think everyone will adapt just fine.

Was the NCAA temporarily prohibited from making rules prohibiting/restricting NIL? ...right? Iow what they are restricted from doing is keeping athletes from profiting from NIL.

That doesn't mean they can't punish schools for using it to induce. That's already part of the NCAA guidelines. They can (likely won't) already declare a player ineligible at a given school for school or booster violations of the ncaa guidelines. They can remove victories, titles, and assign schools to probation and limit their postseason participation.

As I said, it will take more data, so I was under no illusion that this would happen quickly. They need 4-5 years of data to even know what they're looking at with this. It's gonna be a clusterfugue until then, and I think it's hilarious.

The glorious "legacy" of Mark E.D. Emmert!

If it's ok to pay them outright rather than doing true NIL, seems it's time to add buyout clauses to the NIL contracts these pro athletes are signing. They won't be paying them anyway, so it won't hurt the athletes.

We can also add a trade deadline where the schools can trade the NIL/athlete package to another school for cash, player(s), and/or extra "scholarship slots" to be used immediately or some time in the future. This way the athletes are still paid, but don't have to wait for the portal to announce their transfer.

While they're at it, the schools should add contact fees like there are in soccer and baseball leagues. If an NLI or NILA is signed, there should be a buyout fee set, and a contact fee paid to even talk to or negotiate with the prospect to gage interest.

If we're going to turn it into pro ball and such, then they need to go ahead and set some rules and put some safety nets in place for those investing in these athletes' futures.
I would surmise they're already in place.

Reactions: Girthang
I really have mixed emotions about this. The schools have been making money off these kids and only the lucky few who make it big in the NBA have wound up getting paid. Now a lot of guys are going to leave college with a nestegg to start out their adult life. But it's starting to look like there will be bidding wars and only a couple dozen schools will benefit; the good thing is UK is one of those schools that will benefit.

Reactions: Girthang
I really have mixed emotions about this. The schools have been making money off these kids and only the lucky few who make it big in the NBA have wound up getting paid. Now a lot of guys are going to leave college with a nestegg to start out their adult life. But it's starting to look like there will be bidding wars and only a couple dozen schools will benefit; the good thing is UK is one of those schools that will benefit.

I get that. I however have no emotions about this whatsoever.

The universities "making money off of these kids" is a mirage though. What are the "profits" of college athletics? How much of a surplus do most programs run?

Or is it a net loss for most schools in spite of the large media rights deals and sponsorships?

This is the same silliness I hear all the time about small to large businesses, as if businesses don't have huge overhead costs just to operate and maintain facilities daily. It's just ignorant of all that goes into operations. College sports isn't a McDonald's franchise nor someone selling software from their mom's basement. It's a complicated behemoth that has benefited athletes for generations.

I've always been FOR athletes making money off of their NIL. Never should've been restricted. Ever. Most of this isn't NIL, and everyone knows it. Never should have been keeping a kid from getting a free meal at a restaurant, or a free shirt from a local retailer. Still doesn't make all of this NIL.

Reactions: ukfan1622
I think going back to sitting out a year when you transfer would clean up a lot of this.

They should do the same for the coaches, too. Sure, take that next job. Just have to sit out a year for every 2 left on your contract, unless you have specific contract windows where coaches can and can't accept new jobs. Will never happen, though.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
I think going back to sitting out a year when you transfer would clean up a lot of this.
Barn door wide open, all horses are out in the field. Ain't no going back to the good ole days, they are gone never coming back.

Any attempt to restrict players freedom in any way such as a sit out yr will be nuked by every court & every judge in America now

The universities "making money off of these kids" is a mirage though. What are the "profits" of college athletics? How much of a surplus do most programs run?

Or is it a net loss for most schools in spite of the large media rights deals and sponsorships?
Haha if a school is in the SEC or Big 10 they are making a helluvalot of money off the kids. No, they don't show "profit" - cause they are nonprofit governmental entities! UK and all the rest *spend all the revenues*. Ain't no shareholders to pay out dividends if you're the University of Michigan brah!

They should do the same for the coaches, too. Sure, take that next job. Just have to sit out a year for every 2 left on your contract, unless you have specific contract windows where coaches can and can't accept new jobs. Will never happen, though.
Who is "they"? I know you guys are trying desperately to find a way to save college sports but you continually ignore or confuse what NIL is. Every person owns his own NIL and no government or ruling body can strip that basic right.

Who is paying the kids is irrelevant as far as NIL is concerned. You may as well be trying to catch smoke with tweezers. These players will soon be called employees and they will unionize. That will hopefully stop the free agency but NIL isn't going away.

No, it will take the schools making them employees. NIL salary caps cannot exist, legally.

You’re under the impression schools pay these kids. They do not, collectives and other groups pay them for their Name Image and Likeness. Putting clauses on these deals is illegal in Kentucky and most other states.

Iirc it was one of the only restrictions on the rules. Nothing performance based or to entice someone to attend a particular school.

Pretty amazing how far we fell from what most everyone thought was a fair.

One thing we know for sure is the new transfer rules plus NIL makes college basketball a completely new animal. I think it's going to hurt all the non power conference schools and the Bluebloods and maybe 15 other schools with big money boosters will all have locked and loaded starting lineups with none having talent that is dominant over the others.
So it will come down to coaching and roster management. Sorry about that Arky fans...

Haha if a school is in the SEC or Big 10 they are making a helluvalot of money off the kids. No, they don't show "profit" - cause they are nonprofit governmental entities! UK and all the rest *spend all the revenues*. Ain't no shareholders to pay out dividends if you're the University of Michigan brah!

Pretty disingenuous. Lol. "Brah" the athletes get NONE of THAT money even WITH "NIL" so it's pretty silly to even address it, but you're avoiding the actual point by picking nits. Surplus then... not "profit" us what I'm talking about (and you know that). What is the average surplus for college athletics programs?

Where is this gluttonous overspend that hurts the athletes? Where is the surplus that isn't put back into the programs as mandated? I played football, but I also studied business.

It's ok to look at the revenue and be jealous out of ignorance. Lots of people are ignorant as to how things operate. Doesn't mean that paying the expenses is "profiting off of the athletes" as so many emotionally say. Equating it with slavery is another ignorant take that's popular. It's right up there with renters being shocked that when landlords' maintenance and labor costs, interest rates, insurance, and taxes go up ... their rent goes up.

You’re under the impression schools pay these kids. They do not, collectives and other groups pay them for their Name Image and Likeness. Putting clauses on these deals is illegal in Kentucky and most other states.
there was a Supreme Court case last year (unsure of status) that would deem student athletes “university employees” it was brought forth by a woman’s team wanting their “cut” of NIL in pretty sure.

Virginia just passed a state law that the Universities can directly pay athletes.

Once they are deemed employees of the conference or university then you can push for 1-2 year contracts, salary caps, and buyouts.

They’ll likely unionize and strike for a year….cool thing about that is they’d likely realize how relatively little power they actually have bc there are hundreds of thousands worth of “scabs” that would have been NAIA, D3/D2 or even just dudes who were solid athletes that could have played at smaller schools but chose to go be a normal student at a better academic institution ready and willing to step in for a season while the players union try’s to bargain.

Truth is, the college game fanbases root for the name on the front and a piece of laundry. Nobody missed Scoot Henderson or any of the GLeague ignite talent that chose to not play college and nobody would miss the dudes who choose to strike and skip playing the college game. We aren’t disillusioned that we are watching the best players in the world…if that’s what we wanted then we’d be NBA fans. Instead, college fan bases have cultural and state ties and just want to field the best college team possible with what’s available and if we are winning then nothing else matters. As long as our product quality is better than the other college teams product quality..

Won’t happen but personally I’d be fine with NBA making a full minor league system and college going back to the old way or making it to where they got a 50k salary NCAA wide that came from the billion dollar TV deals money—while boosters and collectives, and endorsements forfeit amateurism (adds meaning to turning pro again), you can sell autographs and a cut of jersey sells…..even if it meant losing the top 50 recruits yearly.

Last edited:

I agree, contracts need to be secure and in place to protect the school too. Players can dip on a whim now, part of it.

Yeah. The NBA was able to do that. Premier League too. Same for MLB and international leagues. Oh wait....

Lol. What?

I think everyone will adapt just fine.

Was the NCAA temporarily prohibited from making rules prohibiting/restricting NIL? ...right? Iow what they are restricted from doing is keeping athletes from profiting from NIL.

That doesn't mean they can't punish schools for using it to induce. That's already part of the NCAA guidelines. They can (likely won't) already declare a player ineligible at a given school for school or booster violations of the ncaa guidelines. They can remove victories, titles, and assign schools to probation and limit their postseason participation.

As I said, it will take more data, so I was under no illusion that this would happen quickly. They need 4-5 years of data to even know what they're looking at with this. It's gonna be a clusterfugue until then, and I think it's hilarious.

The glorious "legacy" of Mark E.D. Emmert!
None of those other leagues have to worry about also paying talent for fencing, tennis, track, and field hockey.

They are just dealing with MLS, MLB, NFL, and so on with dedicated revenue streams for those leagues that employ their respective players.

None of those other leagues have to worry about also paying talent for fencing, tennis, track, and field hockey.

They are just dealing with MLS, MLB, NFL, and so on with dedicated revenue streams for those leagues that employ their respective players.

You get it. Some don't

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
This is my first time watching the off-season shenanigans(crap show). This is absolutely ridiculous, this has to be the most lop sided "business transaction" I have ever had the displeasure of observing. I can understand making money from any sponsorship you can drum up, but getting paid without ever proving yourself and the university nor anyone else being able to reclaim any money put into the NIL fund if a player shows up and lays an egg, doesn't perform, is abusive or a terrible attitude just doesn't make sense. Tell me any other "job" that gives you that guarantee? Not to mention the players have free room and board, free meals, free healthcare, free transportation and free tuition. They have no bills besides what, a cell phone or Xbox membership?

How would an NIL buyout help players or schools? An NIL isn't preventing players from transferring.

How would an NIL buyout help players or schools? An NIL isn't preventing players from transferring.

It would help boosters/NIL rights obtainers recover funds so they can reinvest in the program. Find another player to take their place. Helping the program.

It would allow players to transfer without waiting for an NIL contract to expire, and without waiting on the portal. As long as the buyout is paid, they could work out their transfer without waiting on the portal to open.

If the NPAA can't make any rulings on NIL, they won't be able to restrict transfers for better NIL outside of the portal.

This is my first time watching the off-season shenanigans(crap show). This is absolutely ridiculous, this has to be the most lop sided "business transaction" I have ever had the displeasure of observing. I can understand making money from any sponsorship you can drum up, but getting paid without ever proving yourself and the university nor anyone else being able to reclaim any money put into the NIL fund if a player shows up and lays an egg, doesn't perform, is abusive or a terrible attitude just doesn't make sense. Tell me any other "job" that gives you that guarantee? Not to mention the players have free room and board, free meals, free healthcare, free transportation and free tuition. They have no bills besides what, a cell phone or Xbox membership?

You mean besides meteorologists and govt/agency/political positions appointed, hired, or elected? Yeah, I can't name any.

It IS crazy, but a TON of people make money off of the crazy, so it probably won't stop until it crashes

Same difference...

This nil thing looks like the nba at this point. Who knows, nil may become so big that players will stay longer with fatter contracts and make more than their nba counterparts. Lol.

Title IX already being mentioned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT