ADVERTISEMENT

The only way Cal shows us he's seriously wanting to change is that he needs to load up on the portal.

The coaching is the problem, as I stated, but for the sake of argument, Cal needs to:

1. Make sure 3-4 guys stay.

2. Add 3-4 guys from the portal.

So we will have 7 experienced players and 6 Freshmen on our 13 man roster. Yes, 13 scholarship players, not 10 or 11 like he usually has. All 13 and when Freshmen struggle, leave them on the bench for next season. Or let them transfer.

We need to return (at minimum):

Sheppard
Edwards
Thiero
Burks

We need to add:

Transfer Guard (Blackmon?)
Transfer Wing (Freeman?)
Transfer Big (Omoruyi?)

And not start any Freshmen, unless they absolutely tear it up.

So the roster looks like this:

G Sheppard/Fland/Perry
G Blackmon/Freeman
G Edwards/Knox/Richmond
G Thiero/Burks
F Omoruyi/Quaintance/Cyril

Sheppard, Blackmon, Edwards, Thiero, Omoruyi, Freeman, and Burks as the top seven.

If any of the Freshmen want to start, they have to legit beat out an upperclassman.

Shepherd is a projected top 7 pick. Even as of a week ago.

He would be not wise to turn down $20+ million dollars to come play for a coach who admittedly didn’t start him in order to not hurt the feelings of other players.

Reactions: cathead64
Because he went with and favored mid tier 5 stars to load up his team.

Plus I mean he’s not a good coach. But loading up on portal guys instead of random freshman will lead to more success. Just look up the makeup of each and every Elite 8 team this year.

I’ll wait.

Yet all of those players played a lot.

Weird.

Because he went with and favored mid tier 5 stars to load up his team.

Plus I mean he’s not a good coach. But loading up on portal guys instead of random freshman will lead to more success. Just look up the makeup of each and every Elite 8 team this year.

I’ll wait.
Good point.

A lot of people who aren't good coaches make the Final Four. Just look at NC State this year.

Experienced players can help overcome bad coaching. It's MUCH more difficult to do with a team full of Frosh.

The solution isn't the Transfer Portal and it certainly isn't freshmen. If winning games and championships is the goal (never has been Cal), you have to pay players. That is not where we are currently, but it's where we will be quickly. It's free agency with no salary cap.
What is a Championship worth to to UK/Capilouto/Barnhart/Cal?
A starting 5 at $6 million each... is a bargain.

The solution isn't the Transfer Portal and it certainly isn't freshmen. If winning games and championships is the goal (never has been Cal), you have to pay players. That is not where we are currently, but it's where we will be quickly. It's free agency with no salary cap.
What is a Championship worth to to UK/Capilouto/Barnhart/Cal?
A starting 5 at $6 million each... is a bargain.
Uh...who you paying to come join us if it ain't FR and ain't Transfers?
Do you mean pay our potential returnees to they all return?
We still need to replace Reeves, and maybe Dillingham, and a stronger interior pressence, and a shutdown wing defender.

by the time we get involved with the portal there won't be much left but of course whoever we get will be the next mj in our minds until tipoff

Yeah because it was clearly the players fault. 🤡

“It is everybody who does not shoot, rebound, pass, or defends fault including Cal, his assistants, the trainers, the AD, the equipment staff.” - y’all goofies

“It is everybody who does not shoot, rebound, pass, or defends fault including Cal, his assistants, the trainers, the AD, the equipment staff.” - y’all goofies

Yeah, couldn't be Cal. You've had 4 years of shit results, new teams each season, but it's the kids.

Nvm the fact that 2 teams in the elite-8 were starting 1 Freshman. And most of the teams were composed of grad transfers.

Reactions: Ukgold
@deplion called it in another thread. Cal needs to emphasize the portal more than high school recruiting, even this offseason. I know he's made pledges to some of the incoming non-transcendent Hamidou Diallo-level freshmen, but we all know that freshmen no longer cut it in today's game if they are your major roster components.

Go get guys on the level of:

6'6" BJ Freeman (replaces Reeves)
6'7" Tucker DeVries (replaces Edwards)
6'11" Clifford Omoruyi (replaces Mitchell)

Bring back Thiero, and tell any incoming freshman with a sense of entitlement where they can go find Kahlil Whitney and EJ Montgomery.
Man that was just lip service. Cal ain't changing crap. An assistant or two will get canned for different buddies and business as usual. Cal will be back to taking shots at fans abd being his snarky ass self. Probably even more with all the criticism.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Whether they come or are any good, I think we’ve had a few new reported contacts today with a couple VT players(probably don’t scream defense) and Meechie.

The Arkansas method is silly of contacting everyone(obviously didn’t work this year) but there are tons of players worth reaching out to for the right role.

I would love to let Somto go elsewhere and free up even more portal opportunity.

I thought he was supposed to make changes in his staff? Why hasn’t that happened yet? We need our coaches out trying to get quality transfers.

How can he load up in Portal?

We're getting Wagner back and a toss up on Sheppard. Z might return as well as Burks.. Q, Fland, Knox, and Richmond are highly ranked freshman coming in. What minutes are left to load up in portal? Also Thiero might return as well.

If Reed returns thats .

Reed
Wagner
Knox
Q
Z

Fland
Burks
Perry
Richmond

All we can really add isxa bench gaurd and a bench post guy . We agsin will have 2-3 freshman playing big minutes if not starting again next year.

Only way to load up on Portal is if noone returns . There's no minutes there to be attractive to a good upperclassmen.
If Cal starts more than one freshman he will be conceding we are not serious about competing in the NCAA in March and will be giving a huge middle finger to our fans, donors and administration.

Yeah, couldn't be Cal. You've had 4 years of shit results, new teams each season, but it's the kids.

Nvm the fact that 2 teams in the elite-8 were starting 1 Freshman. And most of the teams were composed of grad transfers.
Well the kids do play the basketball. But I’m sure your right, Cal tells them to miss layups, dunks, and let players blow by them.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D
If Cal starts more than one freshman he will be conceding we are not serious about competing in the NCAA in March and will be giving a huge middle finger to our fans, donors and administration.
Considering that'll be half the roster there's a good chance he starts 2-3 freshmen.

he needs to get some heavyweight centers from where ever. i’m tired of seeing our lightweight stickmen getting pushed around under the basket.

You dont think Q and Knox are starting? and depending who returns Fland as well.

Cal isn’t going to convince top tier portal guys that he will value them more than his HS recruits. He got snubbed by all the top guys he’s tried to get.
This is a problem and this is why nothing will change. It doesn’t matter which way Cal goes if he goes experience like he’s done in the past he will still go no where it’s been proven a couple of seasons ago. We are doomed either way as long as jack@ss is still the coach.

I don't think the roster really matters. We've had talented players. I'm not disagreeing with hitting the portal heavy, because I'll take that over HSers. But, the fact is, Kentucky isn't taking embarrassing losses and having disappointing season due to lack of talent. This is a deflection away from coaching deficiencies.
True that, we have been old and lose and young and lost. We have had big men and shooters. I’d prefer to take my chances with older players though. At least they may be able to overcome Cal on the court when it matters.

Good call!

Signed,
Antonio Reeves
Dalton Knecht
Cam Spencer
Tristen Newton
Baylor Scheierman
Terrence Shannon Jr.
Oscar Tshiebwe
Kellan Grady
Walter Clayton Jr.
Cal isn’t going to land the guys from the portal we need he will land second third 4th choices. And to offset those OT and kellen cal brought friggin wheeler because he couldn’t land any of the top portal guards. Also by your logic he’s already using the portal and failing miserably

Reactions: kywildcat41086
How can he load up in Portal?

We're getting Wagner back and a toss up on Sheppard. Z might return as well as Burks.. Q, Fland, Knox, and Richmond are highly ranked freshman coming in. What minutes are left to load up in portal? Also Thiero might return as well.

If Reed returns thats .

Reed
Wagner
Knox
Q
Z

Fland
Burks
Perry
Richmond

All we can really add isxa bench gaurd and a bench post guy . We agsin will have 2-3 freshman playing big minutes if not starting again next year.

Only way to load up on Portal is if noone returns . There's no minutes there to be attractive to a good upperclassmen.
Exactly, he loaded up on a weak freshman class.

Not going to happen because, as some others have stated, no one wants to come here to play behind an inexperienced freshman, just not happening.

Cal is still the coach, so expect more suckage this season, regardless who is on the roster.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
@deplion called it in another thread. Cal needs to emphasize the portal more than high school recruiting, even this offseason. I know he's made pledges to some of the incoming non-transcendent Hamidou Diallo-level freshmen, but we all know that freshmen no longer cut it in today's game if they are your major roster components.

Go get guys on the level of:

6'6" BJ Freeman (replaces Reeves)
6'7" Tucker DeVries (replaces Edwards)
6'11" Clifford Omoruyi (replaces Mitchell)

Bring back Thiero, and tell any incoming freshman with a sense of entitlement where they can go find Kahlil Whitney and EJ Montgomery.
No kidding! Brilliant!

I don't disagree, but if Cal gave the portal as much attention as he does HS Frosh, it would mitigate some of the damage his coaching causes and enhance our ability to make deeper runs in March.
Talent can cover up deficiencies if allowed to.
It appears a lot of poor coaching and or management skills are augmented by those that choose to micromanage.
An example would be Jerry Jones the Cowboys owner.
BTW: micromanagers seldom change because they can't think outside the box. Thus they are their own worst enemy.
Great coaches are glorified CEO's.
They let the ability of those under them flow like a brand new spigot.

I enjoy reading most of the posts in this thread, and agree with a lot of them. However. What in the world makes you guys imagine Cal thinks he needs to show fans or prove anything to us? His contempt for the critics in the fan base is evident. His power play with Mitch was brilliant and if he coached half as well as he tossed the bull crap, we would still be playing for a shot at the championship. He doesn’t believe he owes us anything and is delusional about his floor coaching ability.

Shepherd is a projected top 7 pick. Even as of a week ago.

He would be not wise to turn down $20+ million dollars to come play for a coach who admittedly didn’t start him in order to not hurt the feelings of other players.
There are other factors he will consider other than money. Some of those factors are bigger than money.

Also, Sheppard came to Cal’s defense after the last game, so he still believes in Cal or at least that is what he is saying. I doubt Sheppard bolts to get away from a coach he still trusts and believes in (even though we don’t feel that way as fans).

Bottom line, Sheppard has a big decision to make and it’s bigger than just getting paid.

I hope he returns, but I am expecting him to leave. The NBA dream might just be too much to postpone. But as a kid who grew up bleeding blue, I know it would be hard to give up that uniform, especially after the way this season ended. And my parents didn’t play at UK It’s got to be a tough decision.

Cal isn’t going to convince top tier portal guys that he will value them more than his HS recruits. He got snubbed by all the top guys he’s tried to get.
we lost out on a lot of guys because of money. Hunter dickinson for example

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT