ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Brando on LEACH report...

If we are healthy, we will win by 20 and by healthy, if Wallace is playing healthy. Frederick playing well will be a plus.

Cooley is contemplating leaving Providence for Georgetown. He's apparently one of their top 2 choices with Penn State coach being the other. So they have been distracted. Two things are going to be talked about regarding Providence and both are 100% true. Kentucky doesn't warrant any confidence in terms of talking them up because nobody knows what the hell to expect from them any given game. You can get an inspired effort against Arkansas on the road or a great performance against Auburn, then turn around and lose to Vanderbilt twice in a week. South Carolina and Georgia losses or the gutty win at Tennessee?

The other aspect and more tied into anything you'll hear from National Media (remember Brando works for FOX and they have Big East) is that Cooley is a media whore amongst coaches. He'll share inside dirt with all of them and they go out of their way to talk him up due to that alone. The way the media behaves in terms of news in general is a joke, but it's not beneath CBB people to follow suit. Known that Joey "Brackets" Lunardi offers his services to schools in how to schedule in return for a fee and him pushing for them on TV to get in. (seriously some teams/programs pay this guy). Goodman gets a ton of info from Cooley. Announcers ask about league dirt and coaching move dirt to him. He's always been one of those "Anonymous" coaches who is quoted on how to play a team or gives his thoughts. Guy loves to run the yapper.

Providence can beat Kentucky. If Kentucky is invested in the game, they should win. Everyone's issue is predicting when/if a game is worthy of this program being invested, from coach on down to the players. I feel better when basketball is being discussed. When Calipari starts yapping about things that have nothing to do with the opponent is when you expect the clunkers.
Good point regarding Cooley. I watched a CBS bracket show last night and the CBS talking heads were slobbering all over him.

Reactions: Sejonesy
How do you feel about Ed Cooley as the HC at G-Town?

It’s so odd to see Syracuse and Georgetown looking for new coaches. I used to be a casual Cuse fan when I was a kid (Pearl Washington days), got a lot of family up there.

I would love to see Cuse and GT get back to what they once were. Heck, if Pitino gets the Saint Johns job, you could get that program back on track too.
I think Cooley would be able to recruit a little better and make them respectable and get to the NCAA's but not sure I see a colossal back to the glory days or anything. Anything to move away from Ronny Thompson and Thompson family stranglehold over the program is progress though.

Grew up on those games as well. Pearl was something else specifically his FR/Soph seasons. The Dome Ranger, Wendell Alexis, Rafael Addison, Greg Monroe, Rony Seikaly, Andre Hawkins, etc..

Pitino getting SJU would have them competitive in 2 yrs. He could get them how Fraschilla had them going until his infamous "Nobody has balls, these are what they look like" as he whipped out his junk to his team at a practice and Mike Jarvis inherited things and did well initially.

He has hated us for years.
Brando is a bitter heavy drinker who isn't taken seriously. His football telecasts are ass kissing sessions where he is half in the bag by kickoff and completely blitzed by 4th Quarter. When he and Spencer Tillman were hyping Brian Ferentz's offensive mind this year....I just figure if you say hello to him and are polite he'll blow you on the air.

The biggest LSU homer in media, he also will have an eye on their game if they are playing at same time, and he'll usually screw up a name in the game he's hired to call as he's got one eye on tv and other on his job.

Basketball wise, grew up with "The iron is unkind" from him and now it's just beyond cringeworthy.

They’re like #190 in adjusted tempo. They like to roll slow . An average Seton Hall team beat them by 25 using pace to their advantage. A bad St John’s team beat them last month . They lose games that are faster pace and have a lot of possessions back and forth , because they don’t guard well…they’re like 110 in defensive efficiency..they guard worse than us . They win when dictating tempo , running offense ( they’re good with offensive efficiency) and keeping it in the 60’s
If true, UK is screwed.

As much added incentive playing vs UK may give Hopkins, I think playing him may give Toppin a little extra too.

I think key will be our play by Wallace and Reeves.

Lastly, I'm hesitant to want CJ on the court, even though he is part of "the lineup". I think Theiro gives us more.

SHOULD is no longer in the equation.
We SHOULD have beaten many teams since Cal has been here, but we didn't.

Will be the same thing said if Providence gets the Dub.

We will win by 5-8 points with an unhealthy Wallace. Providence is having a awful post season these last 10 games. Their coach is rumored to be up for one of the vacancies so this team will probably won't be focused...
To me it’s going to come down to one thing, Hopkins is either going off or he is going to hurt his team by trying to do to much

They’re like #190 in adjusted tempo. They like to roll slow . An average Seton Hall team beat them by 25 using pace to their advantage. A bad St John’s team beat them last month . They lose games that are faster pace and have a lot of possessions back and forth , because they don’t guard well…they’re like 110 in defensive efficiency..they guard worse than us . They win when dictating tempo , running offense ( they’re good with offensive efficiency) and keeping it in the 60’s
That's good to know, since Cal is so good at dictating tempo to other teams....🙄

I actually trust this team with a week to prepare and get healthy, and I don’t think Providence matches up especially well with us.

It’s the Sunday game against KSU where we will be totally dumb and give up a million paint points.

We had 6 days to prepare for vandy too. As you said health is the key.

We need Wallace and Frederick to be healthier. Even Wheeler in 5 to 7 minutes wouldn't be awful.

RalphAlton, you make some salient points about Kentucky. They control their own destiny and if they are indeed invested in winning a game - coaches, players, staff - they will win. My concern is that Calipari has lost his passion for striving for excellence and that the players are feeding off of that especially given the NBA draft coming up and all the NIL money that they are making. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and they come out with an effort to win.

For example, I have not heard anyone from KY - either player or coach - say anything about their goals for the team (ie..winning the SEC or NC) in a very long time. This used to be a standard for Ky teams but, I have not heard this in many years. As a teacher, the first thing I learned was that the students rise to the level of the expectation.
If the coach is merely a facilitator and not an instructor, the students have nothing to work towards except their own individual goals, which do not always benefit the team concept.

I am no bb coach, but it appears to me that Calipari has evolved into a maintainer and a guide for individual pursuits versus a coach interested in developing a team into a winning unit. Just once, I would love to see some motivation, preparation and coaching from this staff instead of the tired, archaic play that has resulted in another mediocre season. Jmo
If Cal expended more sweat and tears in practice he might not get so frustrated during games.

The thing that gives me encouragement is the fact that Vandy has been on a tear. They have been hot, Providence is coming in on a bad, bad string of games. Vandy would never lose to Seton Hall by 25.
But, funny things happen in the tournament.
That’s what I’ve been saying for a couple weeks now. Vandy was literally one of the hottest teams in the country.

Reactions: kyjeff1
I do wish I had more confidence in UK’s coaching staff to adequately prepare these guys for Providence. Unfortunately, we have witnessed too many games that showed no strategy to counter whatever offensive or defensive schemes that an opponent throws at UK. Calipari better have those three point shooters practicing because PU will clog the middle and force Kentucky to win from the outside…
This right here. And Ed Cooley is a very good coach.

As much added incentive playing vs UK may give Hopkins, I think playing him may give Toppin a little extra too.

Lastly, I'm hesitant to want CJ on the court, even though he is part of "the lineup". I think Theiro gives us more.
If it makes a difference in winning vs losing I’m not sure but you are correct regarding Theiro and CJ. CJ’s role was supposed to be a knock down 3 point threat and due to injuries and personal struggles on the court he just isn’t, at least now. Total head scratcher with why he played against Vandy and Theiro didn’t. Theiro does so many things that do not show up on the stat sheet to benefit this team. Good things tend to happen when he is in. CJ not bringing anything at all to the table. Theiro has to get CJ’s minutes, it’s just more coaching malfeasance if he doesn’t,

You never know with this UK team. Nobody should be shocked if they lose to Providence.
I think we win usually play really good coming off a loss.
But in the end it won't matter. This team isn't beating K-State anyway.
Hell you have players calling out other players for not wanting to practice. You got the same player calling out those players saying take me out put the walkons in.
Even Tubby turmoil teams wasn't the mess this team is. They have zero team chemistry and a coach that could care less. Some of the players just want the season over.
I think Cal might take the Providence game serious and actually run some plays. Make no mistake he doesn't wanna get punked by Bryce. But his attention span of giving a damn won't last past Providence.
Does anyone think he will be prepared to play K-State with one day to prepare?

Bulk means bupkiss against us. It’s teams that can drive and also have snipers or long, tall, skilled, mobile bigs that eat us alive.

I looked at their past games and there are a few they shot 20+ 3s at 40-50%. That worries me. So what will they pullout against us, 60%.

If we are down 4-5 most the game it will be another at arms length not able to get over the hump like last Friday. I hope not, but I've seen this movie and how it ends.

I actually trust this team with a week to prepare and get healthy, and I don’t think Providence matches up especially well with us.

It’s the Sunday game against KSU where we will be totally dumb and give up a million paint points.
I'm hoping Montana State pulls off an upset in the first round.

But then again, I look at KSU and I feel like they are a less talented version of Arkansas, but I've only watched them a couple times. I could be way off on that.

I'm confused as to why anyone would have any confidence for any game we play, I get that we all want and hope for wins, but how could you possibly expect to win or even think there's a greater than 50/50 chance we win?
I think some if us are just trying to talk ourselves into believing. Yes, it's very sad, but what makes it worse is, it's not working.

One thing about offensive efficiency number are that they can be skewed by a couple of games, I feel that is the case here, providence is good and will present problems but Kentucky presents problems for providence to
I agree with this.

I think the net and KP are both flawed in that they are easily skewed.

Tennessee is supposed to be the #1 defense, but damn, they have a lot of losses and they gave up a lot of points in some of them.

Our offensive efficiency rating is much higher than it should be IMO. We have some moments where we score at will, but then our offense will go 8 possessions without a point and sometimes against bad opponents.

Gonzaga and Houston keep scoring high in the NET every year, but the NET has a really bad feel for the poor competition tnose teams have been playing and not just this year.

Houston is the vegas favorite to win it all. How? Marcus Sasser has a groin injury and we just saw what happens to them when he's out.

Oh well, I guess this will all get settled on the court. I just wish we had a coach that was determined to win instead of this guy we have that is trying to mind fvck everybody.

I think Cooley would be able to recruit a little better and make them respectable and get to the NCAA's but not sure I see a colossal back to the glory days or anything. Anything to move away from Ronny Thompson and Thompson family stranglehold over the program is progress though.

Grew up on those games as well. Pearl was something else specifically his FR/Soph seasons. The Dome Ranger, Wendell Alexis, Rafael Addison, Greg Monroe, Rony Seikaly, Andre Hawkins, etc..

Pitino getting SJU would have them competitive in 2 yrs. He could get them how Fraschilla had them going until his infamous "Nobody has balls, these are what they look like" as he whipped out his junk to his team at a practice and Mike Jarvis inherited things and did well initially.
OMG, Ronnie Seikaly, wow, I have not heard that name in ages. Hahaaa, he was awesome.
Lawrence Moton is another good one, but he came through after those guys you listed though. Those were the good ole days of the Big East.

Yeah, I think Georgetown needs to aim higher than Ed Cooley, I think he's a latteral move, they can get better than him.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
said this is very tough spot for us...Thinks Providence has two really bulky guys that will give us fits...says Hopkins will be playing with a chip....put it this way...listening to him I am not encouraged

Tim Brando adds no value.

Ooooh! Hopkins will be playing with a chip. Where did he cook up that hot take?

I can glean what I need to glean from a handful of posters on this board.

Reactions: TheJuddDome

CJ shouldn't be playing. He is playing scared out there and avoiding contact.

Plus, the main things we need him for are, his outside shooting and his defensive mind, but he’s not even trying to shoot the ball, he can't shake free and with his ribs still sore, he can't body up. But Cal kept putting him out there and Thiero only got in at the 24 second mark.

Gotta sit CJ at this point and let Thiero play in his place.

Last edited:
Brando is a bitter heavy drinker who isn't taken seriously. His football telecasts are ass kissing sessions where he is half in the bag by kickoff and completely blitzed by 4th Quarter. When he and Spencer Tillman were hyping Brian Ferentz's offensive mind this year....I just figure if you say hello to him and are polite he'll blow you on the air.

The biggest LSU homer in media, he also will have an eye on their game if they are playing at same time, and he'll usually screw up a name in the game he's hired to call as he's got one eye on tv and other on his job.

Basketball wise, grew up with "The iron is unkind" from him and now it's just beyond cringeworthy.
Ha!!!! Yes “the iron is unkind”. I grew up with that as well. A poor man’s “string music”😭

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I think some if us are just trying to talk ourselves into believing. Yes, it's very sad, but what makes it worse is, it's not working.
I can talk myself into a win over Providence. I think Cal will actually coach that game. Won't wanna let Bryce go off. I see no way they beat K-State. And I'm not going to be shocked if Providence wins. That's the sad reality of UK basketball now. Hoping for a win against Providence and expecting a loss against Mighty K-State.

I’ve never heard that story about Fran before, but I don’t doubt it.

I’ve been around Fran numerous times in the past at all-star games and AAU events and his ego is boundless.

RalphAlton, you make some salient points about Kentucky. They control their own destiny and if they are indeed invested in winning a game - coaches, players, staff - they will win. My concern is that Calipari has lost his passion for striving for excellence and that the players are feeding off of that especially given the NBA draft coming up and all the NIL money that they are making. I sincerely hope that I am wrong and they come out with an effort to win.

For example, I have not heard anyone from KY - either player or coach - say anything about their goals for the team (ie..winning the SEC or NC) in a very long time. This used to be a standard for Ky teams but, I have not heard this in many years. As a teacher, the first thing I learned was that the students rise to the level of the expectation.
If the coach is merely a facilitator and not an instructor, the students have nothing to work towards except their own individual goals, which do not always benefit the team concept.

I am no bb coach, but it appears to me that Calipari has evolved into a maintainer and a guide for individual pursuits versus a coach interested in developing a team into a winning unit. Just once, I would love to see some motivation, preparation and coaching from this staff instead of the tired, archaic play that has resulted in another mediocre season. Jmo
Team focus shifted to how many guys can we get drafted rather than winning the SEC or a national championship.

said this is very tough spot for us...Thinks Providence has two really bulky guys that will give us fits...says Hopkins will be playing with a chip....put it this way...listening to him I am not encouraged
BS…Providence is a trendy upset pick now but IMO we send ‘em home and win by 10 pts! I don’t think y.they can rebound with us and dont think their guards are really strong. I’m thinking Wallace and Reeves are going to have big games!

I’ve never heard that story about Fran before, but I don’t doubt it.

I’ve been around Fran numerous times in the past at all-star games and AAU events and his ego is boundless.
It's the reason St. John's had to let him go. That got out and it was just too much for them, even back in the not offended by everything days. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of sick **** this guy truly is to even think of that while being upset with a team?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT