ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on skipping bowl

wobycat

Sophomore
Sep 1, 2003
I feel a player should keep his commitment to team. I realize the risk for a game that essentially doesn’t matter but would a player be held accountable any different if he did not play his last two games because his team was already ineligible for post season play? I’m probably in the minority but the player committed and should hold that commitment.

Reactions: drbubba and 59DAWG
How would you feel if the player got injured and that knocked him out of the top of the draft?

I know how I would feel, AWFUL!!

If Josh Allen had decided not to play in our bowl game I would have had ZERO qualms about it.

I admire him for playing, but at the same time would STILL feel terrible if he were injured.

Josh being drafted high is AS BIG to our program as playing in the Citrus Bowl.

How would you feel if the player got injured and that knocked him out of the top of the draft?

If Josh Allen had decided not to play in our bowl game I would have had ZERO qualms about it.

I admire him for playing, but at the same time would STILL feel terrible if he were injured.

And I would feel the same way about an injury during every game for his 3 or 4 seasons, but he is on scholarship to play as a team member for this University. That means, barring injury, he has a moral obligation to play when the team plays.

I just fail to see or understand how the last game should be considered as the most impactful.

I don't like it. I understand it, but I don't like it. I don't think it shows a lack of commitment or some lack of class or anything like that. I think it is a smart business move for themselves to protect their futures. Still, the selfishness of me wants to see them play one more time in that bowl game.

Most people look at bowl games as a bit of a reward. You go to a new city and get nice stuff and relax and stuff like that. If a player chooses not to play then they probably shouldn't share in those rewards. If they aren't willing to put it on the line one more time for their teammates then they shouldn't share in the celebration with their teammates.

Don’t they have insurance for such a thing?

If the players don't care about the bowls then why should the fans.

In all reality, why should we? In fact, why should we care at all after basically the second loss of the season? Once you lose a third time you're pretty much knocked out of the chance to win a national title, and at that point you're merely playing to play and to get to an exhibition (bowl) game. We do care about these other games because we want to be as good as possible and we want to get better and have hope for the future, but the reality is that a huge chunk of the college football season is largely meaningless because at some point almost every team will be eliminated from playoff/championship contention.

Reactions: justin_uk_5

I’d feel the same as I would during the season. Always hate to see injuries but I fail to see how any game after losing 1-2 games is relevant. After losing to UGA, they should all sit out if that’s the case

I don't think of it any differently than coaches leaving before bowl games ... which happens much more frequently and has happened for a long time. These bowl games are littered with interim head coaches, coordinators, etc.

It's not ideal from a fan's perspective, but I get it. Not my career at stake.

Reactions: catben
It definitely cheapens all 7,503,902 bowls that players sit out of. Those game are important and should mean something.

Josh Allen has become my favorite Wildcat of all time because of what he has ALREADY done for UK Football.

He is one of the most decorated players in UK Football history. His NFL career will be a continuation of attention on UK Football, even MORESO than the 2019 Citrus Bowl.

That’s why I would have understood fully AND supported fully IF he had decided NOT to play. But since he decided to play, it makes me admire him even MORE!!

I want what’s best for Josh ABOVE all else because of EVERYTHING he’s given to our program.

I don't think of it any differently than coaches leaving before bowl games ... which happens much more frequently and has happened for a long time. These bowl games are littered with interim head coaches, coordinators, etc.

It's not ideal from a fan's perspective, but I get it. Not my career at stake.
There are coaches still working for the program who sit out the games?

There are coaches still working for the program who sit out the games?

I don't understand the comparison. Players don't work, at least in the eyes of federal law and the NCAA.

Players get a scholarship, a dorm + COA in return for athletic participation. The semester is over. Schools can certainly pull that for next semester if they choose to for a player who doesn't wish to continue participating in athletics. South Carolina or West Virginia could absolutely pull Deebo Samuel's or Will Grier's scholarship for next semester. They'd be silly to do so, as players prepping for the draft on campus is amazing publicity in recruiting for college teams ... and both Will Muschamp and Dana Holgerson endorsed those guys' decisions not to play. And legit NFL prospects obviously wouldn't care if they did lose a scholarship ... but programs certainly have that option.

I don't understand the comparison. Players don't work, at least in the eyes of federal law and the NCAA.

Players get a scholarship, a dorm + COA in return for athletic participation. The semester is over. Schools can certainly pull that for next semester if they choose to for a player who doesn't wish to continue participating in athletics. South Carolina or West Virginia could absolutely pull Deebo Samuel's or Will Grier's scholarship for next semester. They'd be silly to do so, as players prepping for the draft on campus is amazing publicity in recruiting for college teams ... and both Will Muschamp and Dana Holgerson endorsed those guys' decisions not to play. And legit NFL prospects obviously wouldn't care if they did lose a scholarship ... but programs certainly have that option.
My point was that those coaches who left are no longer with the program so they can't, at that point, coach the team.

My point was that those coaches who left are no longer with the program so they can't, at that point, coach the team.

You can if you're Mike Locksley and Alabama, though that's an exception. It's admittedly hard to compare coaches to players because one group has lots of freedom of movement (not to mention compensation) that the other does not. Mel Tucker leaving Georgia before their bowl for Colorado isn't so much like Josh Allen sitting out the Citrus Bowl. It's more like if Josh Allen finished exams at UK, transferred to Oklahoma and played against Alabama in the Orange Bowl in a few weeks.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
I feel a player should keep his commitment to team. I realize the risk for a game that essentially doesn’t matter but would a player be held accountable any different if he did not play his last two games because his team was already ineligible for post season play? I’m probably in the minority but the player committed and should hold that commitment.
nah. stay healthy and go play football in at a level you'll get paid.

Joey Bosa was smart to sit out the rest of the year.

Josh Allen gains literally nothing by playing this game. lets hope he stays healthy, and doesn't lose potentially millions.

Reactions: catben and wobycat
So a kid potentially being set for life after giving his all to this program, lifting the program up is several ways to national prominence, means nothing compared to seeing him in a Citrus Bowl? I don't get the logic of the irrationally angry fans.

Why would you be pissed off at him for making this decision (and he didn't even make this decision)? That's dumb. There isn't even an argument. IT'S DUMB.

If the kid wants to save himself the potential of an injury to go in the first round of the NFL draft (which is damn hard to do), then it is OKAY. I will never be an ass to a player that wants save his longterm career over a short-term bowl.

Reactions: catben
So a kid potentially being set for life after giving his all to this program, lifting the program up is several ways to national prominence, means nothing compared to seeing him in a Citrus Bowl? I don't get the logic of the irrationally angry fans.

Why would you be pissed off at him for making this decision (and he didn't even make this decision)? That's dumb. There isn't even an argument. IT'S DUMB.

If the kid wants to save himself the potential of an injury to go in the first round of the NFL draft (which is damn hard to do), then it is OKAY. I will never be an ass to a player that wants save his longterm career over a short-term bowl.

What if Kentucky was 3 and 6 going into the last two games. No chance of playing in a bowl game. He get to sit then? He doesn’t have to honor his scholarship? Bull. It’s a violent game. He could get hurt in the combine.

Does it really bother me either way. It will be nice to win the bowl game in to get to 10 wins but overall it's not going to be detrimental to the program if we lose. These games aren't really mean much outside of the playoff which is exactly why the playoffs should be expanded in my opinion

What if Kentucky was 3 and 6 going into the last two games. No chance of playing in a bowl game. He get to sit then? He doesn’t have to honor his scholarship? Bull. It’s a violent game. He could get hurt in the combine.

No, because there wouldn't be a bowl game. DUH.

Regular Season + Bowl Game

Regular Season

See the difference? No bowl game.

I think the topic was bowl game. Stay focused.

Quit with the game doesn’t matter bullshit. If the Bowl game doesn’t matter, why do any of the games matter? I don’t understand that way of thinking whatsoever.

Did the Louisville game matter?

How about Middle Tennessee?

So, tell me what games actually matter.

I need someone to tell me which games actually matter, so I can start trying to figure out which ones to pay attention to.

By the way, if the Bowl game doesn’t matter, why did they charge me over $200 for the tickets I just received?

Last edited:
I have come to believe that other than the playoffs, it’s up to each school to determine the approach. As a coach, I could use the entire practice time and game as prep for next year, and sit those that I think don’t fit into next years plans. It will be interesting to see how it evolves.

And I would feel the same way about an injury during every game for his 3 or 4 seasons, but he is on scholarship to play as a team member for this University. That means, barring injury, he has a moral obligation to play when the team plays.

I just fail to see or understand how the last game should be considered as the most impactful.
Or is it bc you think he plays just for you. You go to college to advance your career...hence the possibility of a high draft pick sitting out to ensure he gets the job he wants is his right to do so.

Especially since there are 75000 bowl games most bowls are only an extra practice reward, it would be possibly different for players on teams in the playoff.

If the players don't care about the bowls then why should the fans.

One good reason is this may be the only game some fans attend. If someone lives a long way from Kentucky, he may not get to attend the regular season games, but will use his vacation to attend the bowl game.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Or is it bc you think he plays just for you. You go to college to advance your career...hence the possibility of a high draft pick sitting out to ensure he gets the job he wants is his right to do so.

Especially since there are 75000 bowl games most bowls are only an extra practice reward, it would be possibly different for players on teams in the playoff.
So in your way of thinking, the bowl game is not significant??? If UK wins this game, we will have won 10 games first time in 4 decades. Not sure how long you have been a fan, but I was around then, and that has been one heck of a long time. Do you not think it is not of importance to keep this program progressing? Players picking / choosing which games in which they play seems to me not to be the way system works. Is it your idea that (in order to 'advance his career' without future injury), he would have been better off if he had missed the last 2 or 3 games?

Stupid take. The players are on scholarship to play football. And since I pay a lot of GD money for said player to play for that scholarship, then yes, his dumbass has the responsibility to play until the season is over.

Until these guys pay their own tuition and the University isn’t counting on fans to watch, or attend games,
Then they owe us to full their commitments.

Again, a pathetic and stupid take on your part.

Reactions: crpoore and Hjack
Stupid take. The players are on scholarship to play football. And since I pay a lot of GD money for said player to play for that scholarship, then yes, his dumbass has the responsibility to play until the season is over.

Until these guys pay their own tuition and the University isn’t counting on fans to watch, or attend games,
Then they owe us to full their commitments.

Again, a pathetic and stupid take on your part.

This is pretty awful. UK doesn't need your money to provide scholarships. If you want to complain about Kroger Field, coaches salaries, logos, uniforms, or anything else, you can bring up the money issue but you aren't paying for these players and we as fans don't "own" them. They are student athletes and its the program's job to develop them and put them in positions to be successful after college. I'm proud of Josh for playing but he certainly doesn't have to. We are fans of the program, the players don't owe us anything.

Reactions: fla.cat

Dont get me started. Put him in a skirt on the sideline.Im proud our guys want to win their bowl game.

I'm a baby-boomer. Job isn't over until the season is. Season isn't over until the bowl game.

Yes, I understand the rest of your life. That's every day for everyone....truck driver, soldier, anyone going to work.....or out to party.

Can't live your life in a guilded cage.
lol

It’s a shame that not most, but a lot of fans, will remember the one game a player sits out and not the years of hard work they’ve invested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT