ADVERTISEMENT

Should CFB adopt a similar system as college baseball?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
If you sign with a university to play baseball, you are committed for 3 years or 21st birthday. Should CFB do something similar so that a FR who redshirts doesn't transfer 3 or 4 times in their career? How can a coach build a roster if 15+% of his team could transfer every year? Age 21 may be a bit too restrictive but a 2- or 3-year commitment, from both sides, as a minimum would be a good move, imo. By the end of a player's second year (third year, for sure), both sides should know whether the kid will contribute or not and make the necessary move.

Kids would still be able to transfer but the school that signs them out of HS ought to have some assurance that they'll have him for at least 2-3 years.

Reactions: bigbluedon and K86
The big time programs don't seem to be having any issues. The same teams are always gonna win it all anyways.

As long as it had included exceptions for coaching changes, I think something like that could've worked if the NCAA leadership had been smart/proactive enough with this 15-20 years ago.

However, I think that ship has long since sailed with no chance of returning.

If you sign with a university to play baseball, you are committed for 3 years or 21st birthday. Should CFB do something similar so that a FR who redshirts doesn't transfer 3 or 4 times in their career? How can a coach build a roster if 15+% of his team could transfer every year? Age 21 may be a bit too restrictive but a 2- or 3-year commitment, from both sides, as a minimum would be a good move, imo. By the end of a player's second year (third year, for sure), both sides should know whether the kid will contribute or not and make the necessary move.

Kids would still be able to transfer but the school that signs them out of HS ought to have some assurance that they'll have him for at least 2-3 years.
The 3 year rule is an MLB draft rule, not an NCAA rule. Basically, if you play in college, you’re not eligible to enter the MLB draft right away.

There is no 3 year restriction on transfers from one NCAA school to another. College baseball has a transfer portal, just like basketball or football.

In other words, MLB’s draft rules commit a player to playing college baseball. It does not commit them to playing for a specific school that entire time.

I think NIL money should require a contract of at least 2 years especially if it is a large amount.

I think NIL money should require a contract of at least 2 years especially if it is a large amount.
I'm not 100% on this but I think there is an insurance clause in some of those contracts where the signee has to return a certain percentage of the NIL if they transfer or draft.

Reactions: cat888
The 3 year rule is an MLB draft rule, not an NCAA rule. Basically, if you play in college, you’re not eligible to enter the MLB draft right away.

There is no 3 year restriction on transfers from one NCAA school to another. College baseball has a transfer portal, just like basketball or football.

In other words, MLB’s draft rules commit a player to playing college baseball. It does not commit them to playing for a specific school that entire time.
I’m surprised he didn’t know that. Over 2,400 college baseball players entered the portal in 2022. Kentucky actually made it as far as they did last season due to their success with the portal, bringing in 8 guys from other DI programs.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
I’m surprised he didn’t know that. Over 2,400 college baseball players entered the portal in 2022. Kentucky actually made it as far as they did last season due to their success with the portal, bringing in 8 guys from other DI programs.

Yea, UK baseball is absolutely living on the transfer portal. They did it prior to the portal with JUCO players. This is especially the case with offensive guys.

Last year we were top 5 (IIRC) in transfer class. This year, don't think it's as high but we have brought in at least 10 transfer portal guys this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT