ADVERTISEMENT

This team can be insufferable at times, why?

ukfan117

Freshman
Apr 20, 2009
This is lengthy, but here are my thoughts so far. I would like to hear what you all think as well.

They don't set screens to open up our shooter's (which drives me nuts at times), they become complacent after opening up a large lead, Oscar runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off, no help on the weak side when it comes to defense, they can't guard the perimeter to save their lives at times, no communication whatsoever when teams start gaining the lead against them, and the turnovers are driving me insane. And don't get me started on the FT's.

We're averaging 15 to 18 TO's every game and that's inexcusable period. It's frustrating to see teams destroy Kansas in their gym while Kentucky shits the bed against them at Rupp. Teams like Kansas, Michigan State, Alabama, and Gonzaga for example have lost against teams by double digits this year.

Our biggest win so far has been Tennessee. That's it and I understand why Kentucky isn't ranked. Calipari's record against Barnes, Self, Izzo, and Pearl is pathetic. No excuse for it

Hiring Ulis has been HUGE for Kentucky because the guys where way to dependant on Oscar before the slight turn around the last 10 games. Sure, the officiating has been horrid while they allow the opposition to hammer Oscar with no whistle and I can completely understand why Oscar get's frustrated, but he needs to learn how to adjust to it instead of acting like an amateur on the court.

With less than a month left in the season, our remaining home games are Arkansas, Tennessee, and Auburn. All three are ranked and the away games are pretty managible. Kentucky has an amazing opportunity to close the season strong. I have faith in this team, but they have to cut down on the TO's and getting to line by driving the basketball more to the inside instead of settling for Ill-advised jumpshots.

This is lengthy, but here are my thoughts so far. I would like to hear what you all think as well.

They don't set screens to open up our shooter's (which drives me nuts at times), they become complacent after opening up a large lead, Oscar runs around like a chicken with it's head cut off, no help on the weak side when it comes to defense, they can't guard the perimeter to save their lives at times, no communication whatsoever when teams start gaining the lead against them, and the turnovers are driving me insane. And don't get me started on the FT's.

We're averaging 15 to 18 TO's every game and that's inexcusable period. It's frustrating to see teams destroy Kansas in their gym while Kentucky shits the bed against them at Rupp. Teams like Kansas, Michigan State, Alabama, and Gonzaga for example have lost against teams by double digits this year.

Our biggest win so far has been Tennessee. That's it and I understand why Kentucky isn't ranked. Calipari's record against Barnes, Self, Izzo, and Pearl is pathetic. No excuse for it

Hiring Ulis has been HUGE for Kentucky because the guys where way to dependant on Oscar before the slight turn around the last 10 games. Sure, the officiating has been horrid while they allow the opposition to hammer Oscar with no whistle and I can completely understand why Oscar get's frustrated, but he needs to learn how to adjust to it instead of acting like an amateur on the court.

With less than a month left in the season, our remaining home games are Arkansas, Tennessee, and Auburn. All three are ranked and the away games are pretty managible. Kentucky has an amazing opportunity to close the season strong. I have faith in this team, but they have to cut down on the TO's and getting to line by driving the basketball more to the inside instead of settling for Ill-advised jumpshots.
Averaging 11.45 turnovers a game on the season. 9 turnovers in each of the two (2) games this week, so a little improvement.
I agree we need to shoot (and make) more free-throws.

Reactions: coachcombs57
It’s Cal and then the shooting for me. Remind me of the first PJ team. Where we constantly missed bunny shots.

I love our guys. But damn. The shooting gets to me at times.

The shooting has been it for me too. Maybe the officiating is uneven and that factors in or maybe the lack of preparation. This team is awful at making 1-10ft shots consistently. And as we know, offensive success breeds confidence and can breed more commitment to defense. I think the bad “gimme” shooting from the jump is part of what has set this team back further than it should have been and should be at this point in the season. They don’t have a lot of soft touch in closer. Shit, at this point teach them to shoot inside non-layup shots of the backboard to at least soften the shots.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You run an offense with 2 non shooters having the ball in their hands 90 percent of the time this is what you get. Watching Ot shoot those jumpers and he and Wheeler together is painful.

Just because Kansas lost doesn't mean anything. Dif day. They made atleast 5 clutch shots to heat us so congrats to them.
2nd ... Look how many points we are giving up. Our defense isn't awful or it would be a lot worse.
It's more than a slight turnaround... It's night and day from what we were watching

It’s Cal and then the shooting for me. Remind me of the first PJ team. Where we constantly missed bunny shots.

I love our guys. But damn. The shooting gets to me at times.
Shooting has been poor all season from one guy, and it changed everything. CJ. Horrible slump and you can't win when you miss uncontested jumpers. Early on the team wasn't tough enough to fight through bad shooting nights and the whole thing came apart.

Well as far as screens go hell when we do set screens the ball handler doesn't used them 80% of them time, plus we have very little effective movement without the ball, they tend to stand around watching the ball handler.

Failing to set screens for our shooters is my biggest gripe. Our offense is still not as good as it should be. This is all on Cal and the staff. Watched a lot of different teams this year and their offense is so much better to watch. I don't think we can beat Arkansas this Tuesday at home.

The suffering talked about in this thread reminds me of travails of the early Christian martyrs. The noble spirit of our fans to persevere! It brings tears to my eyes. The courageous Germanicus raced to throw himself on the lion who was waiting for him, but compared to our fans, he was a shirker.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
The shooting has been it for me too. Maybe the officiating is uneven and that factors in or maybe the lack of preparation. This team is awful at making 1-10ft shots consistently. And as we know, offensive success breeds confidence and can breed more commitment to defense. I think the bad “gimme” shooting from the jump is part of what has set this team back further than it should have been and should be at this point in the season. They don’t have a lot of soft touch in closer. Shit, at this point teach them to shoot inside non-layup shots of the backboard to at least soften the shots.
Backboard...backboard, we talking about backboard. It's a lost art. That's for the old men. I would make my guys spend 30 minutes a practice shooting 8-10 footers off the glass. No reason for it.

Failing to set screens for our shooters is my biggest gripe. Our offense is still not as good as it should be. This is all on Cal and the staff. Watched a lot of different teams this year and their offense is so much better to watch. I don't think we can beat Arkansas this Tuesday at home.
The screening has been awful for years. It’s obvious these guys aren’t coached on how they are setting screens or coming off screens.
It’s obvious to the eye but nothing changes.

getting to line by driving the basketball more to the inside instead of settling for Ill-advised jumpshots.
We just don't have many drivers in the half court which is why so many of us harp on the one lineup that tends to get more spacing and movement. I was encouraged though that Wallace was more aggressive driving and Toppin picked his spots better at times. We have to use Oscar as a screener more.

Reactions: ala_kat2
If we can stop relying on Oscar to score so much, they can't take him away. When it's there go to him but we have been trying to force it to him with three people on him with a lot of bad passes, that will save a lot of turnovers and missed shots. We just need for other players to be able to score more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT