ADVERTISEMENT

I'm not scared, I'll say it. I HOPE OSCAR RETURNS

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
We're talking about a 2 time consensus All-American. The greatest rebounder the game of college basketball has seen in decades. But because he doesn't defend the pick and roll very well, get him out of here. Oscar leaves then the great Calipari will get us back to the Final Four. How did we do the year before Oscar got here?

Is it Oscar's fault that we went 9-16 during the 2020-21 season?
Is it Oscar's fault that we haven't been to the Final Four in what is now going on 9 years?
Is it Oscar's fault that we are 1-5 in our last 6 games in The Champions Classic?
It's my understanding, that we're 2-6 in our last 8 games against the Big10. Is that Oscar's fault?
The lengths that Calipari supporters are willing to go to in order to deflect the blame away from Calipari is really hard to imagine. Throw an All-American under the bus, but it's never Calipari's fault. Without Oscar these last 2 seasons. We don't even make the NCAA tournament.

We're talking about a 2 time consensus All-American. The greatest rebounder the game of college basketball has seen in decades. But because he doesn't defend the pick and roll very well, get him out of here. Oscar leaves then the great Calipari will get us back to the Final Four. How did we do the year before Oscar got here?

Is it Oscar's fault that we haven't been to the Final Four in what is now going on 9 years?
Is it Oscar's fault that we are 1-5 in our last 6 games in The Champions Classic?
It's my understanding, that we're 2-6 in our last 8 games against the Big10. Is that Oscar's fault?
The lengths that Calipari supporters are willing to go to in order to deflect the blame away from Calipari is really hard to imagine. Throw an All-American under the bus, but it's never Calipari's fault. Without Oscar these last 2 seasons. We don't even make the NCAA tournament.

Seriously, who on this board blames Oscar and defends Cal? I haven't seen any posts that say that. I've seen posts that criticize Oscar but most of those also complain about Cal's entire roster of players.

Reactions: MbergCat
People are scared more so due to Cal’s inefficiencies to cohesively construct a balanced roster around him. Oscar’s defense has more holes in it than I-95 during a holiday season, so understandably, there’s concern. He’s returning for one reason and one reason alone, money, nothing more. That typically doesn’t bode well for overall team chemistry, though this is what Cal created, a mercenary approach and the results speak for themselves!

People are scared more so due to Cal’s inefficiencies to cohesively construct a balanced roster around him. Oscar’s defense has more holes in it than I-95 during a holiday season, so understandably, there’s concern. He’s returning for one reason and one reason alone, money, nothing more. That typically doesn’t bode well for overall team chemistry, though this is what Cal created, a mercenary approach and the results speak for themselves!
Yeah, let’s be real Oscar coming back is not ideal and clearly not what Cal wants, if we strike out on all the portal bigs clearly Oscar is a good option, Cal just has to figure out a way to hide him on D on actually get him to play D.

Amen.

None of the incoming freshmen would come without the money and most of them will become rich in the NBA. But Oscar? JMO

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
This is a bit like The Kirk Cousins issue. Can’t get a team to the Super Bowl, but hey, let’s pay him 20 million and maybe it happens. We can try to draft another Tom Brady in the meantime.

This is a bit like The Kirk Cousins issue. Can’t get a team to the Super Bowl, but hey, let’s pay him 20 million and maybe it happens. We can try to draft another Tom Brady in the meantime.
He had no talent at all around him. All they had to do was pass in the post to him we beat Kstate instead of looking retarded 2-22 from 3s. Same last year in the first around and he still posted big numbers.

Sell to the highest bidder

Cal’s best teams are defensive juggernauts.

Go look at the defensive KenPom ranks of the 2010, 2012, and 2015 teams.

Now go look at what we’ve been with Oscar.

There’s an obvious correlation there.

Hard for Cal to win with a 6-9 Center.

Reactions: Cats192 and 2Dope15

You can always tell the people who have never played anything successfully in their lives when they post takes like this. “I don’t care that he can’t play modern basketball and is the primary source of most on and off the court issues for Kentucky, I want him back!”

Gonna beg for Oscar to come back just so he can’t yell and cry about how “Cal Can’t Coach!” when Oscar gets embarassed 45 times in the PnR against St Peters again.

I get what you’re saying but the logic is lacking. I would be happy to have Oscar back if Calipari was leaving, but he isn’t. So more of the same? No thanks.

Reactions: Cats192

I'm not a Cal supporter. I'd be good if we fired Cal tomorrow. It's not a Cal or Oscar situation. If there was some imaginary world where I got to choose, I'd probably keep Oscar just to get a new coach.

But I'm all for Oscar moving on. He gives us a high floor, but limits the ceiling. He's objectively bad in pick and roll defense. Teams exploited that all season.

I get what you’re saying but the logic is lacking. I would be happy to have Oscar back if Calipari was leaving, but he isn’t. So more of the same? No thanks.
Bingo.

Doesn't matter what we think about Cal. Cal ain't leaving. He ain't changing.

I'm not sure I understand, you're not saying Val created NIL or the nuances that come without UK? It's only been around 2 years

Stats only tell half the story. How many teams have looked unbeatable on paper, but never produce on the floor. Oscar does great with individual stats. But he sucks in things that make the team better. Total defense, not just PnR, is lacking. His defense was so bad other players on the team would slack off their player to help. When no help came and he got burned, he would hold his hands to the side and stare at teammates. Help also left wing players open on the corners constantly. Go watch. It's plain as day. He can't pass, for all the rebounds he gets, when was the last time you saw an outlet pass to use the speed we had..... Ill wait....... Still waiting. He could not pass out of a double team, if the ball was not shot within 1-2 seconds of getting the ball, it was as good as a turnover. He could not pass, dropped the ball to low and got it stole, walked, or throw up a prayer and then hold his hands up looking for the foul. Add the distractions off the court, and the positives he gave the team in rebounds and scoring do not outweigh the negitives. I also don't trust Cal in adjusting to mask the problems either. I have said it several times, when your "best" player (and your 2nd-3rd) on your team is not the captain, and two bench warmers are, you best player, and the team has problems.

Yeah, let’s be real Oscar coming back is not ideal and clearly not what Cal wants, if we strike out on all the portal bigs clearly Oscar is a good option, Cal just has to figure out a way to hide him on D on actually get him to play D.
Yeah clearly having a two time AA isn’t a good as getting an unproven transfer. I swear these takes are golden.

It’s not like that at all, Oscar has preformed in the postseason and every other game for that matter. He’s had maybe 3 bad games since he’s been here.

You can always tell the people who have never played anything successfully in their lives when they post takes like this. “I don’t care that he can’t play modern basketball and is the primary source of most on and off the court issues for Kentucky, I want him back!”

Gonna beg for Oscar to come back just so he can’t yell and cry about how “Cal Can’t Coach!” when Oscar gets embarassed 45 times in the PnR against St Peters again.
So with Oscar out of here, Calipari becomes a great coach & we're in the Final Four? Why yeah just like the 2020-21 season the year before Oscar got here. You remember the 9-16 season. Is that the kind of modern day basketball that you're talking about

I want him to return too, but not if it means Kentucky is going to clog the lane and shoot 12-15 footers instead of attacking the basket and getting to the foul line or trying to get a kick out for a 3. Thats not a viable strategy to the FF.

It's a two way street. Oscar does have some downfalls in skill. However, Cal is not coaching him up and putting him in the correct position to excel. It's ultimately Cal's fault for lack of coaching and using kids to their strengths. Oscar clearly was better year 1 than year 2. That was because Oscar play with the ball chest and above. This last season was below the waist. Which causes turnovers and bad shots and can't make shots.

I've heard Cal wanted Oscar to catch more bounce passes. I don't know. That was his downfall this year. The real question is, whose fault is it? Is that Oscar's fault for doing that or was he listening to CCC?

Oscar should be back.
Livingston should be back
Onyenso should have never transferred.

Cal should have done a poor mans platoon this year.

Oh wait. Cal won't do that again because it doesn't help the NBA careers. Oh wait. Look at Devin Booker.

Oh wait. Cal doesn't replicate success because he doesn't care about winning, only fueling his narcissistic behavior. Hopefully if Oscar comes back he would help mitigate some of that.

Reactions: jmw23712
Cal’s best teams are defensive juggernauts.

Go look at the defensive KenPom ranks of the 2010, 2012, and 2015 teams.

Now go look at what we’ve been with Oscar.

There’s an obvious correlation there.

Hard for Cal to win with a 6-9 Center.

We've been poor defensively for years before Oscar as well tho lol.

Plus in Oscar's first year here we were 36th ranked. That's not great but it wasn't terrible like this season.

We've been poor defensively for years before Oscar as well tho lol.

Plus in Oscar's first year here we were 36th ranked. That's not great but it wasn't terrible like this season.

I would like to see UK's defensive numbers with Wheeler and without him last year. Could be an interesting view.

Partially. He played last two seasons. He did not get us there either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT