ADVERTISEMENT

Dickinson, Oscar or neither per Pilgrim

You can't convince me that a seasoned, well established, well known player like Hunter Dickinson has legitimate interest in coming to play for a coach who has NEVER allowed bigs to operate the way that best fits and best showcases Dickinson's ability. There's absolutely no logical reason for him to have interest in UK other than using the brand name to force the hands of schools like Maryland and Kansas. The issue is further compounded by the fact UK has a Center they're still waiting on currently still on the roster...it makes no sense from all angles.

Not losing a bit of sleep over this.

If Tshiebwe comes back, great.

If Dickinson comes in, great.

If we get neither, great.

It is what it is.

• Love
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Despite their talent, it's hard for me to envision either Dickinson or Tshiebwe on a final 4 team.
So if we get neither, maybe it’s a blessing in disguise.

Worst case scenario, Cal has to play Onyenso and/or Bradshaw at the 5 with Ware as the backup.

This might force Cal to play a style of play where he doesn’t rely on a monster clogging the middle.

It might be the best thing that could happen to us.

We really don’t know.

Personally, I want Tshiebwe back because he is a good kid and represents the team with class and integrity and he is already a Cat.

I also want to see what he can do surrounded by better talent.

But I have no say in the matter, so I’m just watching it play out.

I hope whatever happens ends up giving us a better team with a better chance to win a title.

It seems this morning the mood has changed. Now it seems Dickinson is Villanova or kansas bound. This stuff changes every 24 hours, that’s why the view that Dickinson was using Kentucky to get more NIL money might be a good one

Reactions: Catfan2226
I would prefer to have Oscar back any day. However, the most important thing to remember is that Calipari will still be the coach and that means, we're going to see the same old thing next year, no matter who's on the team. We need a new head coach.

I don't know anything substantial about Oscar rubbing his teammates the wrong way. I will say I noticed when I went to the games, right before tip off... FOUR of the starters would be huddled together, while Oscar would walk to the middle of the floor and do his personal sign to the heavens (which I'm fine with), and then after doing that, would finally run over to huddle with the other four. A very, very small thing... but you could potentially glean that Oscar was certainly feeling himself and that could have been a microcosm of the relationship between he and his teammates. Probably a reach here... but it was something I noticed throughout the season.

All that to say, I'm in the camp that I'd welcome Oscar back. Put more talent around him than he's had over the past couple seasons, and I think he's a piece to the puzzle for sure.

Reactions: KFuqua
huge Oscar fan because he is our guy

but for non Kentucky players, I think its fair to ask

if this guy couldn't do anything with his previous team, what makes anyone think he will at UK?

We can call that the Wheeler Paradigm

Reactions: Lukeslaw
Where is this issue about his attitude coming from? I've only seen it on this board. Has anyone linked anything about that?
Like a lot of things, the rumor that Oscar's teammates didn't like him started on this board and Anti-Cal people ran with it like it was fact. No one has been able to provide any proof other that they no know someone close to the program and stuff like that...

Reactions: Graham51
Like a lot of things, the rumor that Oscar's teammates didn't like him started on this board and Anti-Cal people ran with it like it was fact. No one has been able to provide any proof other that they no know someone close to the program and stuff like that...
My question was not about Oscar. It was about Dickinson.

People saying his witnessing to his teammates created a team chemistry issue. Well maybe his teammates are to blame as much as Oscar. In my opinion if you do not want to hear it leave the room.
I think it was more him not living at the lodge like the rest and calling guys out to the media.

It seems this morning the mood has changed. Now it seems Dickinson is Villanova or kansas bound. This stuff changes every 24 hours, that’s why the view that Dickinson was using Kentucky to get more NIL money might be a good one
Where are you seeing this? Thanks

People saying his witnessing to his teammates created a team chemistry issue. Well maybe his teammates are to blame as much as Oscar. In my opinion if you do not want to hear it leave the room.
"People". You know you never heard anything negative about Oscar till he dared criticise Cal publicly for his BS antics on the sideline during games. He also publicly called out some teammates challenging them to be tougher and play harder. Cals ego was wounded and suddenly he starts talking about Oscar being a liability. His minions in the local KY media started to report rumors about his attitude. Many fans lapped it right up. It is amazing what sheep folks are. Even fans that vilify Cal as a coach buy in to his crap hook line and sinker. Heres what I know, because I saw it with my own eyes, Oscar plays harder every night than any player we had in last 3 years. He is the only elite college player we have had in the last 3 years. I want him back, who wouldn't want 15 - 20 rebounds a game and 17-20 points a game. Apparently some on here do just that, just blows my mind

If I’m not mistaken, I don’t think that rumor started on this board. You always gotta trash fans though so that doesn’t fit your agenda

Wouldn't be any damn demands period.Pass on Dickinson,his attitude was a problem at Michigan which is why they were happy to see him go...no thanks.
If Oscar wants to go then go.No hard feelings at all...get players that want to be here and stop this bullshit with players demanding this or that.
Unfortunately, players demanding “this or that” is going to be the norm from now on everywhere. None of our current or future players really “want to be here” any more than anywhere else. None of them give a tinkers damn about UK, our tradition or Lexington. It’s all about the money and NIL deals now. It’s what college bball has become.

Reactions: Catfan2226
If it's going to be well into May before Oscar decides, then by all means take Dickinson *IF* he wants to come aboard now. After his KU visit he may decide they have an offer for him he can't refuse. 😉

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
who is these people. it only takes 1 or 2 to start rumors and social media takes from there

"People". You know you never heard anything negative about Oscar till he dared criticise Cal publicly for his BS antics on the sideline during games. He also publicly called out some teammates challenging them to be tougher and play harder. Cals ego was wounded and suddenly he starts talking about Oscar being a liability. His minions in the local KY media started to report rumors about his attitude. Many fans lapped it right up. It is amazing what sheep folks are. Even fans that vilify Cal as a coach buy in to his crap hook line and sinker. Heres what I know, because I saw it with my own eyes, Oscar plays harder every night than any player we had in last 3 years. He is the only elite college player we have had in the last 3 years. I want him back, who wouldn't want 15 - 20 rebounds a game and 17-20 points a game. Apparently some on here do just that, just blows my mind
Amen Brother
who is these people. it only takes 1 or 2 to start rumors and social media takes from there
I cannot say who these people are because I never heard it myself. I was only repeating what I had previously read on this board and really it is only hearsay. I love Oscar and hope he returns.

Reactions: KFuqua and chroix
Oscar was great once he recovered from his surgery. Get him focused, healthy and fix the defense and let’s effing go.

Reactions: KFuqua
Absolutely.

Reactions: ArtLaibsGhost
NBA is a shooters league now. Definitely not Oscar's strong suit. Also not very good on defense. Just being a great rebounder isn't enough in the NBA.

Because that will never work today, two star players at the same position don’t want to share mins
Wait… I can’t decide who I want as a girlfriend Pam Anderson or Salma Hyack?? Why not just have them both as that guy suggested Lol. I’m sure Pam will sit patiently and wait her turn

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Answer is easy, play Bradshaw at 5 and get McKenzie Mbako to play the 4.
Bradshaw doesn’t want to play the 5. He is probably better suited at the 4.

I would still explore the possibility, if I were Cal. Mbako (a top 10 prospect) would be a nice addition.

If it's going to be well into May before Oscar decides, then by all means take Dickinson *IF* he wants to come aboard now. After his KU visit he may decide they have an offer for him he can't refuse. 😉
By the 11 th we will likely know Oscar’s intention. That is the last day to enter the portal. I think he will have notified the coaches which way he’s going

Amen Brother
I cannot say who these people are because I never heard it myself. I was only repeating what I had previously read on this board and really it is only hearsay. I love Oscar and hope he returns.
didn't mean to sound snarky just it's always people say and we have no idea of who or why they say it

This Jack Pilgrim piece reminds me of when I’d forgotten to do a paper for a college class so I’d look up the word requirement and just start scrambling.

In this case, after several hundred words he writes: “It’s complicated.” If he’d only written those two words we’d know as much as we do after reading all the others in this post —and as much as we already did.
People do that for clicks. They won’t go out on a real limb. Kinda like me telling you that it may or may not rain tomorrow. Either way I’m technically right.

didn't mean to sound snarky just it's always people say and we have no idea of who or why they say it
You did not, no offense taken. A .message board should be about thoughts and opinions. So many times people want to attack someone if their opinions differ when they should make their points and go on. The problem with text and email is you cannot hear inflection in a conversation and people take it wrong. I did not take anything in our conversation negatively.

Reactions: shodaman
Dickenson is now interested enough to visit. For whatever that is worth. It took Cal two hours to convince him to at least do that. I dunno. We may get him but it's not a slam dunk. And it seems Cal is all but packing Oscar's bags. I'm leaning we get neither. And endure a Ware/Ugonna 5 spot. Because Bradshaw is not playing the 5. Or so he says.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT