ADVERTISEMENT

Dickinson, Oscar or neither per Pilgrim

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
Pilgrim’s Intel: Will it be Tshiebwe, Hunter Dickinson or neither? That’s the big question Big Blue Nation is dying to have answered.

Here’s the thing: Kentucky’s star center is still in the midst of testing the draft waters and is currently in the process of scheduling workouts with NBA teams — some already on the docket. And he’d like to turn pro if the right opportunity presents itself, whether that’s a guaranteed deal as a second-round pick or a two-way contract from a franchise with promising long-term plans to keep Tshiebwe around. Those conversations are ongoing.

Meanwhile, Dickinson is interested in Kentucky and has conveyed that message to the coaching staff. There is concern, though, that the All-American center is using the Wildcats — among other high-profile schools — to drum up NIL guarantees elsewhere. Maryland and Kansas are seen as the top contenders to land his services as of today, with a visit to the latter scheduled for Thursday.

Therein lies the dilemma for Calipari and the program. Do you pass on Dickinson and risk Tshiebwe turning pro? Or do you push for the star transfer knowing there’s a chance he simply turns and takes the highest NIL offer on the table from another school? And does that kill any shot the reigning national player of the year returns to Lexington? It’s a tricky spot for Kentucky.

The Wildcats would take Dickinson’s commitment, but they’re not interested in a bidding war. Not for the Michigan transfer, not for Tshiebwe, not for anyone. Beyond NIL, they’re also not interested in guarantees regarding minutes, touches and role. That’s something to keep in mind as UK weighs its options and any potential demands, past and present.

In short, it’s complicated. But the conversations start with seeing just how serious Dickinson is about coming to Kentucky.

Wouldn't be any damn demands period.Pass on Dickinson,his attitude was a problem at Michigan which is why they were happy to see him go...no thanks.
If Oscar wants to go then go.No hard feelings at all...get players that want to be here and stop this bullshit with players demanding this or that.

Saying we get Oscar or Dickinson or neither isn’t as profound as Pilgrim makes it sound. Those are the only 3 possibilities unless you think we have a shot at getting both, which I don’t believe we do.

That’s like me saying, “I’m gonna win the lottery, my wife is gonna win the lottery, or neither of us are going to win the lottery.” I’m technically correct but I didn’t really say much.

If all he wants is a two-way contract, I'm sure he can get that, and I'm sure some NBA team will say "Yeah, thats something we can see doing down the road".. and that might be all Oscar needs to hear.

Here's what I'd do. I'd make it pubic that we are not interested in Dickinson, to send a message to Oscar that he's who we want. Sell him on this incoming team being better than the last 2 years. If he opts for the NBA, oh well.. We still have Ugonna and Bradshaw.. and while I don't love our prospects at Center, it might work with more focus on DJ and Edwards, plus we can always grab a transfer.

I would HATE to lose out on Oscar, just for Dickinson to be like "Na I got $100 more from Maryland".. and I guess I feel the inverse as well. If Dickinson wants to commit tomorrow, you tell Oscar this and give him 24 hours to decide. If one of them is ready, you take them. Prefer Oscar, but we also could use Hunter if Oscar prefers NBA.

If all he wants is a two-way contract, I'm sure he can get that, and I'm sure some NBA team will say "Yeah, thats something we can see doing down the road".. and that might be all Oscar needs to hear.

Here's what I'd do. I'd make it pubic that we are not interested in Dickinson, to send a message to Oscar that he's who we want. Sell him on this incoming team being better than the last 2 years. If he opts for the NBA, oh well.. We still have Ugonna and Bradshaw.. and while I don't love our prospects at Center, it might work with more focus on DJ and Edwards, plus we can always grab a transfer.

I would HATE to lose out on Oscar, just for Dickinson to be like "Na I got $100 more from Maryland".. and I guess I feel the inverse as well. If Dickinson wants to commit tomorrow, you tell Oscar this and give him 24 hours to decide. If one of them is ready, you take them. Prefer Oscar, but we also could use Hunter if Oscar prefers NBA.
I'm just not sold on Dickinson.I mean Michigan was happy to see him transfer.His attitude is the biggest issue for me. No doubt he is talented and could bring help at the 5 spot but if it kills team chemistry or we have turmoil then what have we accomplished?

I'm just not sold on Dickinson.I mean Michigan was happy to see him transfer.His attitude is the biggest issue for me. No doubt he is talented and could bring help at the 5 spot but if it kills team chemistry or we have turmoil then what have we accomplished?
To be fair I don't think Oscar's teammates were thrilled about his attitude last season so it goes both ways.

To be fair I don't think Oscar's teammates were thrilled about his attitude last season so it goes both ways.
I agree and we saw the results of it also.I told a friend of mine after Oscar returned from his injury that the team isn't the same and I thought we played better prior to his coming back.I think Oscar let alot go to his head and it reflected throughout the season.

Where is this issue about his attitude coming from? I've only seen it on this board. Has anyone linked anything about that?

And the other rumor is Dickinson is using UK so then you 100% get neither. That said, idk what else to do at this point.
Why not have them both and have them compete for playing time? Everyone complains that Cal doesn't use his scholarships. Why not have two of the best centers in the country and let them compete against each other to see who plays? We will be guaranteed a good center, and they both are using their last year of eligibility so we don't have to worry about one getting pissed and leaving. I have no idea why we wouldn't want both of them, except for the people that continue to think that letting Oscar play 38 minutes and grab 18 rebounds nightly is a recipe for success, because it is not.

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Pilgrim’s Intel: Will it be Tshiebwe, Hunter Dickinson or neither? That’s the big question Big Blue Nation is dying to have answered.

Here’s the thing: Kentucky’s star center is still in the midst of testing the draft waters and is currently in the process of scheduling workouts with NBA teams — some already on the docket. And he’d like to turn pro if the right opportunity presents itself, whether that’s a guaranteed deal as a second-round pick or a two-way contract from a franchise with promising long-term plans to keep Tshiebwe around. Those conversations are ongoing.

Meanwhile, Dickinson is interested in Kentucky and has conveyed that message to the coaching staff. There is concern, though, that the All-American center is using the Wildcats — among other high-profile schools — to drum up NIL guarantees elsewhere. Maryland and Kansas are seen as the top contenders to land his services as of today, with a visit to the latter scheduled for Thursday.

Therein lies the dilemma for Calipari and the program. Do you pass on Dickinson and risk Tshiebwe turning pro? Or do you push for the star transfer knowing there’s a chance he simply turns and takes the highest NIL offer on the table from another school? And does that kill any shot the reigning national player of the year returns to Lexington? It’s a tricky spot for Kentucky.

The Wildcats would take Dickinson’s commitment, but they’re not interested in a bidding war. Not for the Michigan transfer, not for Tshiebwe, not for anyone. Beyond NIL, they’re also not interested in guarantees regarding minutes, touches and role. That’s something to keep in mind as UK weighs its options and any potential demands, past and present.

In short, it’s complicated. But the conversations start with seeing just how serious Dickinson is about coming to Kentucky.
The kid from Purdue is the reigning national player of the year.

Why not have them both and have them compete for playing time? Everyone complains that Cal doesn't use his scholarships. Why not have two of the best centers in the country and let them compete against each other to see who plays? We will be guaranteed a good center, and they both are using their last year of eligibility so we don't have to worry about one getting pissed and leaving. I have no idea why we wouldn't want both of them, except for the people that continue to think that letting Oscar play 38 minutes and grab 18 rebounds nightly is a recipe for success, because it is not.
Because that will never work today, two star players at the same position don’t want to share mins

Where is this issue about his attitude coming from? I've only seen it on this board. Has anyone linked anything about that?
Michigan's board,various online articles,pretty much known that he wanted to be the man at UM.Got loads of talent no doubt.If he was to come and realized the offense IS NOT going to go thru him,just did the things he's good at and put the team before himself then yeah,get him but I guess we shall see how this plays out.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Michigan's board,various online articles,pretty much known that he wanted to be the man at UM.Got loads of talent no doubt.If he was to come and realized the offense IS NOT going to go thru him,just did the things he's good at and put the team before himself then yeah,get him but I guess we shall see how this plays out.
cite them. I've went to Michigan's board and find nothing. "pretty much known" tells me that people are reporting what they heard on this board. I'll believe it when some one shows me it exists.

This Jack Pilgrim piece reminds me of when I’d forgotten to do a paper for a college class so I’d look up the word requirement and just start scrambling.

In this case, after several hundred words he writes: “It’s complicated.” If he’d only written those two words we’d know as much as we do after reading all the others in this post —and as much as we already did.

That's the thing few want to talk about. Oscar had that "Christian" thing going, but we ALL know Christians who can be selfish, arrogant, entitled, lazy, all those things. There were issues on the team last year, and it wasn't all Wheeler.

The worst scenario is waiting for Oscar until the end of may and him telling you he isn’t come back, if you go early you can atleast get a replacement
They absolutely can't wait for either of them. Give Hunter 24 hours to yay or nay on playing with UK, and then say thanks no thanks. Give Oscar 48 hours or something (that way you're giving him more time out of respect), and then move on with Ugonna and Bradshaw (publicly) while also trying to get SOMEONE out of the portal.

• Love
cite them. I've went to Michigan's board and find nothing. "pretty much known" tells me that people are reporting what they heard on this board. I'll believe it when some one shows me it exists.
His blasting of Wisconsin as scumbags,his public tirade on Michigan's NIL problem with the school not wanting to get with it,his request of more leadership that Howard granted that alienated some teammates with the type of leadership he presented,his SI article that wasn't bad,just his feelings on loving to play the role of villain and his antics towards crowds on the road are just a few.Hes got talent,nobody disputes that and he would help at the 5 spot but We don't need no more drama either,we get our share of it.

That's the thing few want to talk about. Oscar had that "Christian" thing going, but we ALL know Christians who can be selfish, arrogant, entitled, lazy, all those things. There were issues on the team last year, and it wasn't all Wheeler.
A little harsh, no? Do you personally know Oscar? I don't either.

I say F both of them. Sign Jamarion Sharpe and let him and Ugonna set the NCAA record for blocked shots in a season while each playing around 20 mins per game.

I’m only half kidding 🤔

His blasting of Wisconsin as scumbags,his public tirade on Michigan's NIL problem with the school not wanting to get with it,his request of more leadership that Howard granted that alienated some teammates with the type of leadership he presented,his SI article that wasn't bad,just his feelings on loving to play the role of villain and his antics towards crowds on the road are just a few.Hes got talent,nobody disputes that and he would help at the 5 spot but We don't need no more drama either,we get our share of it.
From what you’ve said about him makes me want him here at UK, we need a player other teams hate and that player thrives on the hate. Been a while since we have had a player like that at UK. We have had to many good kids that are ok losing and getting pushed around.

I always think it's amusing when I read that Kentucky's "not interested in a bidding war."

Cal is only interested in bidding wars with programs like UCLA when it benefits him, not the program.

UK isn't too good for bidding wars. Everyone one of their coaches leveraged themselves with their financial hands out when coming to and remaining at Kentucky, including Calipari.

Only thing I know is that Pilgrim knows less than anyone about the subject. We get who we get. Cal will coach up whomever we have. he's proven that over 35 years.

We had a serious lack of talent for 3 seasons. We have upgraded that for next season. If Oscar wants to be part of that then great. If he has a chance to play in the NBA then good for him.

Reactions: chroix
I think, he wants what Oscar had. POY and largest nil deal out there and Cal likes playing thru his center. JMO. Not a good deal for Ky, esp. this year.

From what you’ve said about him makes me want him here at UK, we need a player other teams hate and that player thrives on the hate. Been a while since we have had a player like that at UK. We have had to many good kids that are ok losing and getting pushed around.
He would bring that to the table no doubt.I guess we shall see how it plays out.His longing to be a Wildcat may be real but then again he could be using UK to up the ante for a larger NIL deal with another school.Hard to tell.I just hope that IF he becomes a Cat,he will put the team first and do what it takes to help us win As I've stated,he has talent and can help in alot of ways.

I think, he wants what Oscar had. POY and largest nil deal out there and Cal likes playing thru his center. JMO. Not a good deal for Ky, esp. this year.
No it's not.The offense can't go thru Dickinson or Oscar,not with what we have coming in.We aren't gonna get Dickinson and Oscar,that isn't happening or we might not get either.We shall see.

We have to end up with one of them. Oscar is a major upgrade but Dickinson won't be awful.we'll lose 4-5 boards a game and a key 2-5 points, but Dickinson isn't to far off. Just can't go with Collins Ugo and Ware only. Those 3 are not it.

I may certainly be wrong, but I do not recall Oscar ever publicly taking blame for poor play in any games over the last 2 years.
Just a thought … could be wrong …

Last edited:
I think the staff reached out to Sharpe from WKU as insurance in case this scenario doesn't play out in UK's favor. That or they feel confident in another portal option with someone like Moussa Cisse, Kadin Shedrick, or Daron Holmes and it's been kept hush hush.

People saying his witnessing to his teammates created a team chemistry issue. Well maybe his teammates are to blame as much as Oscar. In my opinion if you do not want to hear it leave the room.

Reactions: KFuqua
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT