ADVERTISEMENT

This season was lost the moment Cal didn't attempt to bring Ty Ty back.

If TyTy returns, probably no Reeves.
I disagree. Reeves came here with the expectation that he’d be playing the 3 spot. He ended up at the 2 only because we found ourselves desperately shorthanded in the backcourt with Wallace really being our only functional quality guard.

The OP has a good point, one more decent guard would’ve done wonders for this team. And what’s frustrating is this seems to have become an annual thing. We never seem to have enough guards … yet Cal refuses to ever recruit as many players as the rules allow, instead leaving two or three extra scholarships unused each year.

The man is essentially choosing to have these annual depth problems. He easily could recruit another guard, but just won’t do it.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I knew someone would posit the whole "take the money when it's there" contrarian routine.

You realize that lottery picks from last signed for anywhere between $51 million to $19 million?

Ty Ty is only guaranteed that money for the first two years. The club has an option after year two, at which point they can offer him a buyout for a fraction of his "guaranteed" money.

Bottom line, he comes back and he's making double the guaranteed money. You may not see the worth there, but I guarantee you guys like Marquis Teague and Dakari Johnson now do.
You come back you can also tear your acl and not recover to what you once were. He made the smart decision

We're not losing these games because we're unable to land the next John Wall, or because we aren't getting enough top 5 elite freshmen.

We're losing these games because Calipari historically does not promote the idea of player retention regarding players like Ty Ty Washington.

Take a look at all of the fringe guys who he's openly supported going pro and ask yourself the question if they could have improved their draft stock with another season at UK:

Daniel Orton - selected 29th
Archie Goodwin - selected 29th
Marquis Teague - selected 29th
Skal Labissiere - selected 28th
Hami Diallo - selected 45th
Wenyen Gabriel - undrafted
Isaiah Briscoe - undrafted
Issac Humphries - undrafted
Jarred Vanderbilt - selected 41st
Dakari Johnson - selected 48th
Aaron Harrison - undrafted
Andrew Harrison - selected 44th
EJ Montgomery - undrafted
Ashton Hagans - undrafted
Keldon Johnson - selected 29th
Isaiah Jackson - selected 22nd
Ty Ty Washington - selected 29th
BJ Boston - selected 51st

Cal's failure to retain these types of players is the real reason we're losing records and flaming out early. He simply doesn't care to persuade them to return. It was clear to me the seasons we lost Gabriel/Vanderbilt/Diallo and then later when we lost Jackson and Boston off the 9 win season. I mean, what other program in the history of the sport wins less than 10 games in a season, but then has a coach promote two fringe 1st rounders leaving after a single season of college hoops?

If you return Ty Ty, he would have improved his stock and led this team to a deeper run. We were clearly lacking a second guard this season.
Ty Ty wasn't coming back, IMO. Cal's downfall is (1) he does not play a style of basketball that it takes to become champions. You cannot win long term today without playing a faster style, making the 3 point shot a interval part of offense and making the zone part of your weapons. (2) not looking to the future. Cal designs his teams to be "one year threw always". He never thinks about next year by thinking I must play the bench because I will need them in the future and next year. Because of that he cannot retain players like Hopkins . JMO.

A sophomore TyTy Washington would have been fantastic. Instead, he's standing on the 3-pt line in a few NBA games, not even trying anything other than shooting when someone passes to him while wide open -- yes, I actually watched a Rockets game recently just to see for myself (against the Celtics) -- and then getting sent back to the G League. He doesn't have the athleticism or size to make it in the NBA.

Mark my words, TyTy Washington will be out of the league in 3 years or less.

Reactions: STL_Cat
I knew someone would posit the whole "take the money when it's there" contrarian routine.

You realize that lottery picks from last signed for anywhere between $51 million to $19 million?

Ty Ty is only guaranteed that money for the first two years. The club has an option after year two, at which point they can offer him a buyout for a fraction of his "guaranteed" money.

Bottom line, he comes back and he's making double the guaranteed money. You may not see the worth there, but I guarantee you guys like Marquis Teague and Dakari Johnson now do.
But you will agree he had reason to believe he was going to be picked higher.

A sophomore TyTy Washington would have been fantastic. Instead, he's standing on the 3-pt line in a few NBA games, not even trying anything other than shooting when someone passes to him while wide open -- yes, I actually watched a Rockets game recently just to see for myself (against the Celtics) -- and then getting sent back to the G League. He doesn't have the athleticism or size to make it in the NBA.

Mark my words, TyTy Washington will be out of the league in 3 years or less.
Because he is who he is, he had no shot at a lottery selection by returning.
What school has players who ceiling is late lottery and floor is late first returning to school?
You think Noah Clowney is going to come back and see if he can get in the lottery or take that late first offer this year?

I've really never thought about that, but can you imagine a backcourt with TyTy and Wallace. I guarantee we would still be playing next weekend. And with NIL money Id say TyTy could have made almost as much as he is playing G-League.

Yeah TyTy woulda benefitted from returning but cal wanted wheeler for whatever reason. The other issue is cal is completely opposed to depth. He’s gotta fill out that roster with guys who can play. It shouldn’t be hard at UK. He sold it before in 2015 but ratface cursed him.
Vehemently opposed to any depth. That is the kiss of death for us.

I've really never thought about that, but can you imagine a backcourt with TyTy and Wallace. I guarantee we would still be playing next weekend. And with NIL money Id say TyTy could have made almost as much as he is playing G-League.
Except he’s not making G-league money. As a first round pick, he’s still guaranteed first round contract money …even when playing in the G-League.

Tyty Washington never looked like an NBA player to me. Could have been a really good college player this year, though. He was a hair away from not even being drafted in the 1st round, which would have really destroyed his NBA career. As it is he might only get that first contract.

You come back you can also tear your acl and not recover to what you once were. He made the smart decision
How many guys can you name that tore their ACL and didn't recover to who they once were? Especially if it happened to them in their early 20s? That just doesn't happen anymore.

Except he’s not making G-league money. As a first round pick, he’s still guaranteed first round contract money …even when playing in the G-League.
Thats true, but the 29th pick in the draft their yearly salary is 1.8 mill per yr. I said he could have made almost as much, not as much in NIL money.

Because he is who he is, he had no shot at a lottery selection by returning.
What school has players who ceiling is late lottery and floor is late first returning to school?
You think Noah Clowney is going to come back and see if he can get in the lottery or take that late first offer this year?
Agree to disagree.

Anyone who is a 1st round lock should go. Rookie deals are for 4 years with the first 2 years guaranteed based on draft slot and a team option for years 3 and 4. Almost always, the options are picked up as these contracts are very team friendly. This summer only 3 options will be declined, two 4th year and one 3rd.
Cal‘s problem lately is that his standard pitch about “I’m the best at getting you NBA ready”, is only appealing to the kids who want to leave after a single season but realistically won’t be ready even after two.
The results end up that the really good players who were always going, do. The second tier guys either leave early or come back with an agenda to prove, which may or may not be helpful and the 3 and 4 star‘s are pushed to the end of the bench and never get a chance to develop and usually transfer.

If Tyty wanted to come back he would have.
I think many people feel like Cal has a much large role in this than he actually has.
Perhaps but it’s the mindset they come in with as that is what cal promotes. Wallace had one foot out the door when he announced UK as his choice for college. Not sure if Wallace will get selected in the lottery or not but he didn’t have a lottery type season and sure looks like he could use another year of college. He most likely isn’t going pro anywhere else he plays, other than here. I bet Grady Dick returns to Kansas for at least another year and last I saw he was a projected lottery pick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT