ADVERTISEMENT

This season was lost the moment Cal didn't attempt to bring Ty Ty back.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
We're not losing these games because we're unable to land the next John Wall, or because we aren't getting enough top 5 elite freshmen.

We're losing these games because Calipari historically does not promote the idea of player retention regarding players like Ty Ty Washington.

Take a look at all of the fringe guys who he's openly supported going pro and ask yourself the question if they could have improved their draft stock with another season at UK:

Daniel Orton - selected 29th
Archie Goodwin - selected 29th
Marquis Teague - selected 29th
Skal Labissiere - selected 28th
Hami Diallo - selected 45th
Wenyen Gabriel - undrafted
Isaiah Briscoe - undrafted
Issac Humphries - undrafted
Jarred Vanderbilt - selected 41st
Dakari Johnson - selected 48th
Aaron Harrison - undrafted
Andrew Harrison - selected 44th
EJ Montgomery - undrafted
Ashton Hagans - undrafted
Keldon Johnson - selected 29th
Isaiah Jackson - selected 22nd
Ty Ty Washington - selected 29th
BJ Boston - selected 51st

Cal's failure to retain these types of players is the real reason we're losing records and flaming out early. He simply doesn't care to persuade them to return. It was clear to me the seasons we lost Gabriel/Vanderbilt/Diallo and then later when we lost Jackson and Boston off the 9 win season. I mean, what other program in the history of the sport wins less than 10 games in a season, but then has a coach promote two fringe 1st rounders leaving after a single season of college hoops?

If you return Ty Ty, he would have improved his stock and led this team to a deeper run. We were clearly lacking a second guard this season.

Last edited:
I said something similar a couple of weeks back.

Losing TyTy without so much as a thought even about him coming back was a huge missed opportunity.

I said he could have had an Immanuel Quickly type year if he had returned, and worked his way up into a lottery pick.

But instead he has spent most of this year in the G-League.

TyTy on this team could have made all of the difference in the world.

We're not losing these games because we're unable to land the next John Wall, or because we aren't getting enough top 5 elite freshmen.

We're losing these games because Calipari historically does not promote the idea of player retention regarding players like Ty Ty Washington.

Take a look at all of the fringe guys who he's openly supported going pro and ask yourself the question if they could have improved their draft stock with another season at UK:

Cal's failure to retain these types of players is the real reason we're losing records and flaming out early. He simply doesn't care to persuade them to return.

If you return Ty Ty, he would have improved his stock and led this team to a deeper run. We were clearly lacking a second guard this season.
Crazy. Only five of those dudes made it in the league. Only Vanderbilt and Johnson are sure to last.

Tyty can’t even get run on one of the worst teams in the league.

I said something similar a couple of weeks back.

Losing TyTy without so much as a thought even about him coming back was a huge missed opportunity.

I said he could have had an Immanuel Quickly type year if he had returned, and worked his way up into a lottery pick.

But instead he has spent most of this year in the G-League.

TyTy on this team could have made all of the difference in the world.
The first sign of quick cash was all that mattered to Cal and Ty Ty. If Washington returns, he's making lottery money next year. Instead, he's an afterthought averaging 3 ppg.

This has just gotten totally ridiculous. A tiny % of people stand with Cal on the issue of guys leaving after 1 year in Lexington, strictly to catch a short term paycheck. There are dozens of guys he pushed out too soon. It’s really really cost UK.

We’re supposed to be Kentucky, but we lose tourney games to Kansas State (twice), St Peter’s, and Auburn. I’m not even sure what to say anymore. Tired of waiting for next years class.

Crazy. Only five of those dudes made it in the league. Only Vanderbilt and Johnson are sure to last.

Tyty can’t even get run on one of the worst teams in the league.

Gabriel is starting for the lakers, and Jackson shows some promise. But yeah.

This has just gotten totally ridiculous. A tiny % of people stand with Cal on the issue of guys leaving after 1 year in Lexington, strictly to catch a short term paycheck. There are dozens of guys he pushed out too soon. It’s really really cost UK.

We’re supposed to be Kentucky, but we lose tourney games to Kansas State (twice), St Peter’s, and Auburn. I’m not even sure what to say anymore. Tired of waiting for next years class.
Remember how Kelly Oubre's dad said that Cal pushes kids out, even when they're not ready? Word travels in recruiting circles. Cal is constantly clearing the path for the next class.

Cal's failure to retain these types of players is the real reason we're losing records and flaming out early. He simply doesn't care to persuade them to return. It was clear to me the seasons we lost Gabriel/Vanderbilt/Diallo and then later when we lost Jackson and Boston off the 9 win season. I mean, what other program in the history of the sport wins less than 10 games in a season, but then has a coach promote two fringe 1st rounders leaving after a single season of college hoops?

Or when he backed off of guys in the portal like kendric Davis/ Terence Shannon/ Baylor scheirman because they wanted money.

I've been saying this after the first 5 years of Cal.

I was mocked on this board for my disdain for the OAD.

I was mocked that Cal has to replicate success by having most players back and potentially platoon depending on who comes back.

It's nice to finally see most see what I saw a long ass time ago. It's been biting our ass for a long time.

Reactions: crestcat
Like for instance put kendric Davis on this roster. You have a great playmaker at Pg, you can then play Wallace off the ball let him do what he does, and then you can either go reeves at the 3 and small ball or start the lineup you started this year just put Davis in for reeves and have reeves as a 6th man bench threat

3 guys from that 9 win team. Clarke was also gone.

That’s 9 wins with 3 NBA draft picks

Reactions: shaudyshaud
TyTy would’ve been an idiot to come back. TyTy is a very limited athlete and was ancient for his class. Good for him for going and getting picked in the first round. The kid used his physical maturity and age to climb rankings his extra year in high school. He then took that status, combined it with a decent season at NBA U to get drafted in the first round.

Was Dakari the last time we heard about Cal recommending to someone they return? Not everything is going to leak publicly but it’s been awhile.

i really liked tyty and give him credit playing through injury like wallace and he would have made us better, but without quickness the ff would’ve been tough. that’s one thing we should have next year in the backcourt for a change.

No doubt, the combo of him and Wallace would have been enough IMO.

I agree and Cal bugs me the most about doing things like that. But I don't think tyty was ever going to come back. He was one n done wherever he went.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Good post.

Part of the problem is on the front end of course, not ONLY with the lack of effort toward persuasion.

And there are two aspects to that "front end."

1 Cal sells UK to recruits as the best way to rocket to the NBA.
2 The players who come have a stubborn view of their own game and even a mediocre freshman season won't sway them from their vision of bolting for the league.

Most guys simply don't come to Lexington with an attitude conducive to our sustained success as a program. Just groups of dudes with varying degrees of selfishness and narcissism (hey, sounds like Cal!).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT