ADVERTISEMENT

This is how they will force tourney expansion

UKUGA

All-American
Jan 26, 2007
Washington metro
So, the rumor is that the NCAA fears that the power conferences will start their own tournament if the NCAA doesn’t expand.

I’m not sure that I believe that - but anything is possible.

Given how unpopular the idea of expansion seems to be, I guess the whisper that it could go away all together may be what it takes to rally some support.

“It no doubt will still be a bitter pill to swallow for traditionalists, but it may be the only realistic way to keep the tournament alive. Project Division I, NCAA president Charlie Baker’s new charge to reconsider the very framework of college athletics, includes several radical proposals, including the creation of a new FBS subdivision. College basketball administrators fear that, if the tourney is left untouched, it will inspire power conference schools to at least consider their own postseason. Fox already is creating a counter to the NIT.”

“The NCAA has to be proactive,” the source said. “Expansion — modest expansion — may be the only way to keep the tournament we all know and love alive.”

Source - Dana O’Neil at The Athletic

So, the rumor is that the NCAA fears that the power conferences will start their own tournament if the NCAA doesn’t expand.

Given how unpopular the idea of expansion seems to be, I guess the whisper that it could go away all together may be what it takes to rally some support.

“It no doubt will still be a bitter pill to swallow for traditionalists, but it may be the only realistic way to keep the tournament alive. Project Division I, NCAA president Charlie Baker’s new charge to reconsider the very framework of college athletics, includes several radical proposals, including the creation of a new FBS subdivision. College basketball administrators fear that, if the tourney is left untouched, it will inspire power conference schools to at least consider their own postseason. Fox already is creating a counter to the NIT.”

“The NCAA has to be proactive,” the source said. “Expansion — modest expansion — may be the only way to keep the tournament we all know and love alive.”

Casual fans will hate to see the tournament go. It’s fun and my favorite time of year, but there’s a much better way to do it. If there’s 4 major conferences, run it like the FIFA World Cup. Top 8 teams from each conference make it, then you place them into 8 groups for Round Robin. Fits perfectly because you have one team from each conference in each group. Top 2 teams from each group advance to the 16 team single elimination tournament.

Reactions: ib4ky
Casual fans will hate to see the tournament go. It’s fun and my favorite time of year, but there’s a much better way to do it. If there’s 4 major conferences, run it like the FIFA World Cup. Top 8 teams from each conference make it, then you place them into 8 groups for Round Robin. Fits perfectly because you have one team from each conference in each group. Top 2 teams from each group advance to the 16 team single elimination tournament.
So we’re excluding the conference that has won 3 of the past 7 national championships and that’s better?

Reactions: natchezrule
This simply won't happen in the near future. I could see the major conferences getting rid of the NCAA within 10 years, but March Madness and the tournament are the cash cow. It will remain. Rebranding and changing it would hurt the product and lower the money, they'd never do that.

Reactions: UKortho
So you think only casual fans like the current format, and hardcore fans would prefer seeing the "major" schools playing each other in a round robin group format? In other words, the Thursday/Friday of the first week of the tournament is replaced with the "first game from Group A - Wisconsin vs. NC St"?

Ratings won’t go down because another round is added to the tournament. Interest will increase, bracket challenges will draw more entries as casual fans of an additional 32 or 64 teams will be into it, and tv will get another huge amount of games for advertisers to spend money on.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, just that it won’t be a negative for those with a financial stake in the tournament.

They should fear extinction because it's coming at least in football. That isn't even in doubt. The fact the NCAA is just now starting to taking protective action shows exactly how pathetic their leadership really is

Reactions: UKUGA
The tournament is literally the perfect sporting event. I have no doubt they're going to ruin in somehow, so enjoy it while you can. This mega conference BS is going to completely ruin college athletics. Every time a big team gets upset early it costs the big conferences money and exposure. They don't want that happening. The tournament will eventually change so it has more power conference teams, just like how the SEC and BIG 10 are fighting for a certain number of guaranteed playoff spots.

And unfortunately the viewing numbers of the later rounds aren't great if there's a mid major cinderella making it to the Final Four. Everyone loves a cinderella story for the first few rounds, but the general public still prefers a Final Four full of blue bloods and brand names. I have a feeling the power conferences will only pay attention to that and create some sort of power conference only tournament.

Reactions: KYExtemper
The power conferences wanting to split from the NCAA has nothing to do with a decision to expand or not expand the NCAA tournament. Nice try.

Ratings won’t go down because another round is added to the tournament. Interest will increase, bracket challenges will draw more entries as casual fans of an additional 32 or 64 teams will be into it, and tv will get another huge amount of games for advertisers to spend money on.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, just that it won’t be a negative for those with a financial stake in the tournament.
Ratings always go down after first weekend
Nobody watches final 4 except the fans of teams playing

So we’re excluding the conference that has won 3 of the past 7 national championships and that’s better?
I don’t remember saying they had to be excluded. The cream of the crop would obviously move into the consolidated mega conferences. C’mon brother try to keep up.

So you think only casual fans like the current format, and hardcore fans would prefer seeing the "major" schools playing each other in a round robin group format? In other words, the Thursday/Friday of the first week of the tournament is replaced with the "first game from Group A - Wisconsin vs. NC St"?
I don’t remember saying ONLY casual fans like it. I mean, I like it, but yeah I absolutely agree hardcore fans would rather see us playing Wisconsin in game one of group A instead of a jacked up 13 seed South Dakota State with a random back up hitting 5 threes when he’s only made 2 all year. I mean, what are we even talking about here?

Many will officially stop watching CBB if they expand. 6 games is hard enough. If you have to win 7 or 8 and the chance of a title is like hitting the lottery, people will tune out.
There is a large percentage of casual fans who simply get engaged and watch because of the filling out of brackets. They will watch no matter what because they simply want to do well in their brackets as well as the occasional underdog narrative. Screw up the fun of filling out brackets somehow will hurt the interest in the tournament.

Now die hard fans will be pissed if the tournament expands so the top seeds have to win 7 games.

I don’t remember saying ONLY casual fans like it. I mean, I like it, but yeah I absolutely agree hardcore fans would rather see us playing Wisconsin in game one of group A instead of a jacked up 13 seed South Dakota State with a random back up hitting 5 threes when he’s only made 2 all year. I mean, what are we even talking about here?
I don't agree with that at all. The one and done format, plus the Cinderella participation, is what makes the tournament special.

Reactions: Cards of War
I don't agree with that at all. The one and done format, plus the Cinderella participation, is what makes the tournament special.
I totally understand that. I was just talking about hardcore fans, not you.

I don't think expansion would negatively affect viewership of the tournament. I personally don't think it's needed, but if they added 8 more teams, I wouldn't stop watching. They've got 8 teams playing in Dayton right now. They could just add 8 more. It wouldn't be terrible.

Now, if I'm making arguments against expansion, I would say there was never a need to expand beyond 64. There is no way any team outside those top 64 will ever win. In fact, I don't think any team beyond that 64 would make it beyond the first weekend. So, adding more teams isn't necessary.

The only argument I can see for potentially adding more teams would be for the major conferences that have such strong competition all season and have several teams that are really good enough to compete but won't be in the top 7 or 8 of the conference. But even then, if you're 8-10 in your own conference, what are the chances you'll win the NCAA-T? Very, very slim. So, is it necessary? Not really.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I think 8 teams is fine.. small expansion is OK. But the talks of moving this to 128 teams is what I don't want to see.

And honestly, where does it end? We add 8 teams now.. we're just going to add another 8 in 6 years. Some teams are always going to feel left out. Whether it's an 8 team tournament or a 250 team tournament.

How are casuals going to follow the tourney when a bracket will go more than a page?

Whatever happens with conferences will be to appease football.

Will have nothing to do with basketball.

Basketball schools can go along or get out.

UK choses to go with the SEC for the SEC football money. No other reason.

Reactions: gojvc
This simply won't happen in the near future. I could see the major conferences getting rid of the NCAA within 10 years, but March Madness and the tournament are the cash cow. It will remain. Rebranding and changing it would hurt the product and lower the money, they'd never do that.
ABinBev says "hold my Bud Light"

Play-in games don't bother me as they will quiet the mid-major teams that have done well albeit against weaker competition. That brings the casual fans from their team to the TV and generates more overall eyeballs. You could add two four-team play-ins to each bracket (32 in all) and the winner gets to play the 1 and 2 seed if they can beat a 15/16. That adds a week to the tourney, but TV $$ like to spread the dollars out.

Yeah we have to get those 15-17 teams in there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT