ADVERTISEMENT

This Board amazes me at times

So, if Stoops leaves we just shut down the program? LMAO, I'll tell you what, you Stoops apologist are something else! So the head Coach at Toledo, App state, NC state, BYU, Kansas etc would turn down 9 MILLION a year?
None of the guys you mentioned would come it at 9 mil. Why don’t people understand this? Stoops came in under a typical SEC contract. He’s been here 11 years. That’s 11 years of performance based raises and excellent agent-craft by the best agent in the game. That’s how he got to 9 mil. The next guy would have to be a huge name to command 9 off the bat.

Let’s be honest, most people would be fine if we could just beat USCjr and Vandy on a consistent basis and get the occasional UT win. There is simply no excuse for losing to Vandy in year 10 on your home field. Losing on the road is one thing, but you gotta win at home.

Stoops has two 10 win seasons in the past 5 years. That may very well be the ceiling for our program. I’m not satisfied with the last two seasons. But I’ll take my chances with the guy who turned in those season over rolling the dice on the next guy.

Florida thought they had their guy
Arkansas though they had their guy
South Carolina thought they had their guy
Tennessee though they had their guy 5 times.
TAM thought they had their guy
Miss st thought they had their guy
Vandy thought they had their guy

Most of the teams I just listed are not bowl eligible. Many will looking for a new coach again this year or next. I think we still have our guy. He’s gonna have to make some improvements sure. But stoops is our guy. Like it or not.
True if changes are made to get back to 10+ wins. We shall see.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Let’s be honest, most people would be fine if we could just beat USCjr and Vandy on a consistent basis and get the occasional UT win. There is simply no excuse for losing to Vandy in year 10 on your home field. Losing on the road is one thing, but you gotta win at home.
But Stoops can't. 7-5 baby!

I'm not fine with that but am fine we still have Stoops. Last year was tough because we had a hurt Levis and missed Schlarman's leadership big time. I think Stoops whiffed on the Yenser and Scang hire. I wonder if we had won at Ole Miss how different the season would've gone, though. Those kind of losses can demoralize a team that creates a funk that's hard to get out of.

I've been a UK football fan since 1971. Mark Stoops has had more success than any UK coach during these 52 years. Fran Curci had a great 2 year run in 76 & 77 but he got us on probation. I mean if Stoops leaves. Who are we going to get that's better. We're not talking about the UK basketball head coaching position where as if Calipari left UK could pick & choose any coach that they would want. But with our football coach we've had a bunch here like John Ray, Bill Curry, Joker Phillips that were a disaster. I'm very happy with Stoops.

I'm not fine with that but am fine we still have Stoops. Last year was tough because we had a hurt Levis and missed Schlarman's leadership big time. I think Stoops whiffed on the Yenser and Scang hire. I wonder if we had won at Ole Miss how different the season would've gone, though. Those kind of losses can demoralize a team that creates a funk that's hard to get out of.
But that’s the problem. It wasn’t Schlarman’s job or anyone else’s to be the voice in the locker room. It’s Stoops’ plain and simple. He’s the head coach. You think Kirby or Saban takes a back seat to someone else? We are consistently inconsistent and that starts at the top. And now you throw in the excuses with NIL and the schedule. NIL didn’t cost us against the bottom feeders.

I do realize that it’s definitely possible to do worse than Stoops, but I’m not at all convinced that he’s some kind of elite football genius who’s getting better results than anybody else would ever be capable of. We’re in the SEC, which is more attractive than ever after the constant realignments have left it as one of the only 2 (or 3 at most) conferences that truly matter in football, we pay very competitive salaries to both Stoops and his assistants, and our expectations are much lower than most other schools that offer similar benefits. None of those things will change if Stoops takes another job, so there’s no reason that we shouldn’t be able to hire another solid coach who will at least be able to deliver similar results to what we’re getting now. Claiming that the program will essentially die if he ever leaves is nonsense.

Rich Brooks was better than that then Mitch made a bad hire with Joker. Time to move on from this staff!

Yes brooks was great but he also wasn't the coach immediately preceding stoops which was my point. We were awful under joker. You don't have to go back to 1980 to find an awful year

So if stoops leaves, we are toast? No other coach will ever want to be coach here regardless of money? Guess we only have a program until stoops moves on then the program shuts down forever.

That's a strawman. I said it's a roll of the dice and challenged posters to give me a name. Not bad one yet.

Who knows who is interested in the UK job? I actually think a lot of coaches would be interested. Of course not guys like Kirby or Dabo, but with what we’re willing to pay and the patience our administration will give a coach that’s attractive.

Stoops was an unknown quantity and he did fine with a much worse situation than Stoops will leave whenever that happens.

I think there’s at least a handful of coaches that could come here and do well. Gus Malzahn, Lance Leipold, Kalen DeBoer, Sonny Dykes, and probably another dozen would be interested in a $7 million contract and could come here and not send the program to 2-10. I think even a ho-hum hire like Neal Brown could come here and win 6/7 games to start.

The defeatist attitude of this board is really discouraging. The program is much better than it’s ever been in terms of administrative support and resources yet some on this board think the options are either Stoops or perpetual 2 win seasons.

Ok give us a name we could get that would be successful

So, if Stoops leaves we just shut down the program? LMAO, I'll tell you what, you Stoops apologist are something else! So the head Coach at Toledo, App state, NC state, BYU, Kansas etc would turn down 9 MILLION a year?

This is a strawman. See above.

Big picture? We usually win 1 we weren't supposed to & lose 1 we weren't supposed too. No matter how good or bad we are.

This yr we beat top 10 10-1 ACC title game participant UL in their stadium. And dropped a winnable 1 at awful S Carolina.

In 2022 we beat Florida when they were sky high. And lost to Ray Davis & Vandy.

Big picture? We usually win 1 we weren't supposed to & lose 1 we weren't supposed too. No matter how good or bad we are.

This yr we beat top 10 10-1 ACC title game participant UL in their stadium. And dropped a winnable 1 at awful S Carolina.

In 2022 we beat Florida when they were sky high. And lost to Ray Davis & Vandy.
And that is where a lot of the frustration comes from. We go on these losing streaks and lose head scratchers to weaker teams at home.

Yes brooks was great but he also wasn't the coach immediately preceding stoops which was my point. We were awful under joker. You don't have to go back to 1980 to find an awful year

That's a strawman. I said it's a roll of the dice and challenged posters to give me a name. Not bad one yet.

Why is it this boards responsibility to give you a name? Not a damn soul on here is in charge of or paid to find the next head coach for UK. Schools do it every single year however. UK has never had a coaching search with the resources we now have at our disposal. Despite the obvious disadvantages of in state recruiting and NIL we now have more to offer than ever. Now would be a great time for a search, another few years of stoops and 5-7 and 6-6 seasons sliding UK back into the abyss UK will not be as easy as a sell.

I guess you're right. RIP Kentucky football....LMAO

• Haha
Reactions: screwduke1
Now I’m as critical as anybody of CMS but the range of emotion on this board after knocking off a Top 10 team, albeit an overranked Louisville team but I don’t think folks realize how close we came to watching this entire program burn down last night. When a coach leaves, he takes most of his assistants with him. Now we would find a coach, no doubt, but it would destroy the recruiting class, there would be mass transfers and we would be looking at a minimum of 5 years until we made a bowl game.

Now I don’t know the facts or exactly what happened but I’d have to think the interest was real and so was the offer. I doubt the “fan revolt” down there had much to do with the decision. Maybe he rushed into the decision and after yesterday sat down with his family and they decided as a group that it wasn’t the right time.

We need to make some changes, it’s obvious there will be, but to burn it all down and start over? Who does that serve? We are an impatient fanbase, would we give the next guy the time he needs or be calling for his head year one? I’d rather fix what we have and keep going. From the comments I read here last night and this morning, it seems like a lot of us made comments without thinking them all the way through.

That’s my 2 cents. I’m happy that we still have our coach and some of the staff here. I’m happy we have a very nice recruiting class coming in. Let’s get back to celebrating beating Louisville, wrecking their season, knocking them out of the playoffs and continuing our dominance over the state.
It's not just this board, it's everywhere. There are morons everywhere, literlly. There are posters on here that have no clue how hard it is to build a program, especially at UK. Stoops has done a great job making UK relevant. Are we were we want to be? No, but we are in a far better place than weove ever been for this long of a time.

if it takes 5 years to go back to a bowl game with a new coach, you've hired a joke of a coach

The transfer portal can make a winning team in a matter of months, and being bowl eligible with 6 wins should be within reach of any competent coach

If it takes 5 years, then Barnhart should be flipping burgers

I do realize that it’s definitely possible to do worse than Stoops, but I’m not at all convinced that he’s some kind of elite football genius who’s getting better results than anybody else would ever be capable of. We’re in the SEC, which is more attractive than ever after the constant realignments have left it as one of the only 2 (or 3 at most) conferences that truly matter in football, we pay very competitive salaries to both Stoops and his assistants, and our expectations are much lower than most other schools that offer similar benefits. None of those things will change if Stoops takes another job, so there’s no reason that we shouldn’t be able to hire another solid coach who will at least be able to deliver similar results to what we’re getting now. Claiming that the program will essentially die if he ever leaves is nonsense.
Solid take

Wow, where do I start. No, our program won’t burn down to the ground if Stoops leaves. Coaches leave programs all the time and they don’t forfeit the next year. So give me a break. Brohm is a perfect example of what a coach can do IN ONE YEAR (and yes we beat them…got it). Most people are fine with Stoops but many have issues with his idiotic contract that allows for no accountability. And this fantasy that major college teams want to hire Stoops is also idiotic. We saw last night that Stoops is going nowhere because fans know he’s not a top 10 type of coach and won’t tolerate their AD hiring him. Has he done some great things for the program? Yes. But some of you are stuck with this attitude that we’re nothing without him and that simply isn’t true…if we’re willing to pay $9M/yr for mediocrity, there is no doubt we could find another serviceable coach. Not every coach out there is Joker Phillips or Bill Curry. Just because we have a history of hiring terrible coaches doesn’t mean we have to continue that trend. Stoops is a good example of this as he was a good hire. When you get guys like Couch involved in the hiring process, better things will happen. This loser mentality that we have to be bad because we’ve always been bad is discouraging for many others. And yes. I’ve lived through decades of poor play…that’s why I want us to be relevant going forward and to build on our recent success. I think Stoops may have peaked, and I don’t think we need to settle for 6-6, 7-5 seasons. I think be is extremely stubborn and won’t change things that need to be changed. I’m happy to give him some more time however.
Post of weekend

Yes you named 4 that would be total toss ups. That just proves my point. You don't fire the winningest coach in history to hire toss ups.

So instead of admitting I'm right you're just bowing out. That's fine
Shouldn't be but I am amazed that after weeks of bad football some just can't bring themselves to enjoy a big win over a rival and tip their hat to much maligned players such as Brown, Key, Leary, Weaver et al for their outstanding play. Just in their DNA to be miserable and want nothing more to bring people down to their level.

U6 hired Brohm to beat UK and he choked his first match. And if you have a problem with Stoops contract take it up with his agent, he was the one who negotiated it, your bitch is with him and not Stoops.
Wow, our 11 year coach beat 1st year UL coach. Shouldn’t that be expected? I’m happy we won but the difference between the teams has narrowed SIGNIFICANTLY. We pounded them last year. Next year, who knows. Terrible take.

I’m not mad at Stoops at all. I’m mad at the contract and at Barnhart for agreeing to it. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to get out of it. Again, terrible take.

Wow, our 11 year coach beat 1st year UL coach. Shouldn’t that be expected? I’m happy we won but the difference between the teams has narrowed SIGNIFICANTLY. We pounded them last year. Next year, who knows. Terrible take.

I’m not mad at Stoops at all. I’m mad at the contract and at Barnhart for agreeing to it. Doesn’t mean I don’t want to get out of it. Again, terrible take.
LOL!!

Why is it this boards responsibility to give you a name? Not a damn soul on here is in charge of or paid to find the next head coach for UK. Schools do it every single year however. UK has never had a coaching search with the resources we now have at our disposal. Despite the obvious disadvantages of in state recruiting and NIL we now have more to offer than ever. Now would be a great time for a search, another few years of stoops and 5-7 and 6-6 seasons sliding UK back into the abyss UK will not be as easy as a sell.
Not sure how you can just throw out 5-7 or 6-6 when Stoops hasn’t had less than 7 wins outside of the Covid year since 2015. I don’t have a problem with legitimate criticism of Stoops but let’s not pull narratives out of our ass that have not happened yet and have not been the norm for quite some time now.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Stoops is a lame duck coach at this point 🍺
How so and please don’t say it’s the unbearable Lexington humidity 😎
The impact of whatever transpired between TA&M and CMS on the relationship with CMS and MB is yet to be determined.

First of all, NO one on this board has all the facts as to what transpired and probably never will know all the truth. But here are some things we do know:

1. Stoops was a serious candidate and evidently had made up his mind to accept the job sure enough that he notified some of his closest people.
2. CMS obviously notified MB of his decision.
3. Something transpired to change the outcome of that decision. Either TA&M pulled the offer or CMS changed his mind about leaving.
4. CMS or his agent approached MB about a contract extension/pay raise to convince CMS to stay at UK ( probably for the offer amount that TA&M had made to get CMS to accept the A&M job.
5. MB said NO TO BOTH REQUESTS.
6. CMS decides/is forced to stay at UK (I believe the offer was withdrawn due to pushback from boosters and fans).

Now, I don't know how your boss would react or feel about you if you went to him and said I quit ( regardless of the reason) when your boss has given you a top ten contract and an almost guaranteed job for life.

But, every boss I have ever worked for would have been pi$$ed to the max and would have immediately started planning for my departure to "pursue other interests".

In other words, most people who pulled what CMS did with his boss MB would immediately become a lame duck employee who had better be using his spare time to find a new job.

But bottom line is CMS was LOOKING to get away from UK and MB.

The question is, how did MB take that obvious gut punch from CMS????

Yes you named 4 that would be total toss ups. That just proves my point. You don't fire the winningest coach in history to hire toss ups.

So instead of admitting I'm right you're just bowing out. That's fine
Anyone is a toss up. Stoops is a toss up too. We don’t know how he’s going to do with a 9 game SEC schedule. And it didn’t prove your point. The coaches I mentioned with the exception of Leipold have had greater success than Stoops has had. There’s no reason to think it’d take those guys 5 years to win 6 games in a season.

This board amazes you? How about giving games away, then upsetting your in state rival to a few hours later it becoming known you don’t have the passion for uk anymore? It’s clear our mental let down the last two years is because stoops has checked out. He’s ready to move on but hasn’t done anything to warrant being snagged by a top tier program. When he had passion and fire he got the team ready for his last game. What he thought was his last game at UK. No one should point at fans. Our AD has made our top two programs low expectation programs. Stoops has been distracted all year and now we know why. Then his “im a wildcat message”. That was very tepid so he’s still looking. So don’t go pointing fingers at fans. Too much drama with uk football the last two years. Brought on by two men. And now there’s rumors Barney kept stoops in Lexington. How the hell is that? A new contract we don’t know about or is it to just save face so it doesn’t look like stoops was tossed by anm fans and media? Fired before he signed the contract??

Anyone is a toss up. Stoops is a toss up too. We don’t know how he’s going to do with a 9 game SEC schedule. And it didn’t prove your point. The coaches I mentioned with the exception of Leipold have had greater success than Stoops has had. There’s no reason to think it’d take those guys 5 years to win 6 games in a season.
If a new coach can’t be winning by year two they should be canned. It’s that simple. Programs that want to suck spend 3-5 years building. Programs that want to win stop at nothing and move on fast when it’s obviously not working. This is the new nil world. You don’t have to wait to build.

Reactions: JBHolmesfan
If a new coach can’t be winning by year two they should be canned. It’s that simple. Programs that want to suck spend 3-5 years building. Programs that want to win stop at nothing and move on fast when it’s obviously not working. This is the new nil world. You don’t have to wait to build.
You don't pay a guy 9 mil to win 3 conference games each year

Reactions: Wildcats1st
Name the coach that would come here and be an upgrade while bringing his players upgrading our roster.

There are no known quantities we can get, so it would have to be rolling the dice. That means the hire by this ad wouldve been a much greater chance of being joker than a better version of stoops
Dude....5 years minimum before we'd make a bowl game....is that not a bit nutty?

Joker Phillips took UK to a bowl game 2 years before Stoops got here. And Brooks was a layup for 6-7 win seasons in a row. Beating 3 non confernce scrubs, Vandy and grabbing 1-2 wins vs. UL, Mizzou, USC, Florida, Miss St and an occasional down Tennessee isn't a miracle by any stretch of the imagination.

Stoops is a solid coach....but he is not elite. And I don't care about 9M per year (it's not my money) but I do find it crazy to be on the hook thru 2031. That was a 9 year extension and Mitch is either lazy or a good ole boy network to make that kind of deal. Give coaches 4 years to recruit and that is more then enough.

At some point fans need to realize the SEC and Big 10 jobs are in demand. So even a lower team in Sec or Big 10 is at a premium and the ACC, PAC and B12 jobs are almost all inferior (until they are able to leave ACC). So don't sell UK short.....there are now plenty of coaches that would consider the UK job a good venture vs. 11 years ago.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
If a new coach can’t be winning by year two they should be canned. It’s that simple.

It's that simple to you. If your simple guideline was followed, Rich Brooks would have been fired at UK after the 2004 season and Mark Stoops would have been fired after our 2014 season. Frank Beamer would not have made it at VA Tech. Kirk Ferentz would have failed at IA and the great Barry Alvarez would have failed at WI.

So maybe it really isn't that simple after all. Let's leave it to the athletic directors.

I've been a UK football fan since 1971. Mark Stoops has had more success than any UK coach during these 52 years. Fran Curci had a great 2 year run in 76 & 77 but he got us on probation. I mean if Stoops leaves. Who are we going to get that's better. We're not talking about the UK basketball head coaching position where as if Calipari left UK could pick & choose any coach that they would want. But with our football coach we've had a bunch here like John Ray, Bill Curry, Joker Phillips that were a disaster. I'm very happy with Stoops.

This. You've been a fan a helluva lot longer than me, but I agree completely. I have really only been following UK football since mid-90's.

History proves we have had very little to NO sustained success (winning records) outside of Mark Stoops in the past 70 years. None. 7/8 years with a winning record. Hasn't been done since Bear Bryant. Going back my entire 43 years on this planet...

Stoops 11 seasons...
UK: 73-64, 8 Bowl Games, 4-3 record + TBD

In the 11 years previous to CMS, '02-'12...
UK: 59-76, 5 Bowl Games, 3-2 record

Between '91-'01...
UK: 44-80, 3 Bowl Games, 0-3 record

Between '80-'90...
UK: 51-69, 2 Bowl Games, 1-1 record

So you see the guy has vastly outperformed our history and it isn't particularly close.

In the 33 years prior to Stoops:
154-225, 41%, 10 Bowl Games, 4-6 record

As a UK grad it is good to see us winning more than losing.

Is it worth $9 million a year? Isn't my money.

Is Stoops worth $9 million a year in terms of his performance? Probably not, but it isn't my money.

Does UK have to pay this kind of money for a consistent winning record? According to our history, that answer appears to be a "yes".

Would someone else not only win like Stoops, but take us to the next level? Our history says "no".

Last edited:
This. You've been a fan a helluva lot longer than me, but I agree completely. I have really only been following UK football since mid-90's.

History proves we have had very little to NO sustained success (winning records) outside of Mark Stoops in the past 70 years. None. 7/8 years with a winning record. Hasn't been done since Bear Bryant. Going back my entire 43 years on this planet...

Stoops 11 seasons...
UK: 73-64, 8 Bowl Games, 4-3 record + TBD

In the 11 years previous to CMS, '02-'12...
UK: 59-76, 5 Bowl Games, 3-2 record

Between '91-'01...
UK: 44-80, 3 Bowl Games, 0-3 record

Between '80-'90...
UK: 51-69, 2 Bowl Games, 1-1 record

So you see the guy has vastly outperformed our history and it isn't particularly close.

In the 33 years prior to Stoops:
154-225, 41%, 10 Bowl Games, 4-6 record

As a UK grad it is good to see us winning more than losing.

Is it worth $9 million a year? Isn't my money.

Is Stoops worth $9 million a year in terms of his performance? Probably not, but it isn't my money.

Does UK have to pay this kind of money for a consistent winning record? According to our history, that answer appears to be a "yes".

Would someone else not only win like Stoops, but take us to the next level? Our history says "no".
Again, somebody looking backward to determine our future. No offense but it drives me bonkers. Good thing Stoops didn’t look back at the previous 35 years and decide to forfeit the UF game each year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT