ADVERTISEMENT

Things that have gone extinct in your lifetime

I'm sure most, if not all, of these have already been mentioned but here's a few off the top of my head...

Manners
Common decency
Common sense
Accountability
Chivalry
Respect for elders
Battle of the Network Stars
Proper use of lanes on the interstate
Journalistic integrity
Shopping cart corral etiquette
The ability to laugh at oneself
Politicians looking out for the best interest of their constituents over and above their own self interest
The ability to distinguish between comedy and being politically incorrect
And just in the last two years...respect for the office of POTUS

Actually being able to own software instead of subscribing to it, or that's how it seems anymore. Almost every single bit of software I use at work has gone to the subscription model, and it's killing the budget, Used to be we could buy a piece of software, use it until it jsut couldn't do what we need anymore, which most of the time would be years, then buy the new one. Now for a year it costs like half the regular purchase price used to be and after three years it has already cost us more than what it would have cost us to buy it outright.

A Ford or a Chevy that would last ten years. A man that could work who still would. We’re rolling downhill like a snowball heading toward hell. Merle knew where society was going. Those who disagree are on the fighting side of me

Not to completely change this thread into a boxing thread, but it was pretty sad to see HBO sign off last Saturday night with Jim Lampley and Roy Jones Jr choking back tears saying their goodbyes. Was also sad to see the once great HBO boxing coverage go out with such a whimper with that terrible card that they had to show. It's really crazy that as you get older, it is sometimes the random things that come to an end being the ones that can cause you to get a little emotional and I had not watched boxing on HBO in many years. Seeing that made me remember how much I loved to listen to Lampley, Merchant, Lederman back in the day. Hopefully, in a couple years of being away, they can make a comeback. Isn't that what boxing is all about?
Can I get an Amen, Ferdie Pacheco?!

Was watching an old Seinfeld episode where some psycho makes a gift for Elaine with an old TV guide and realized how popular and big that used to be, made me think of all the stuff that was hugely polpular that’s gone obsolete just in my short time around, feel free to add:

Sony Walkman
Pretty much any physical data like CDs or tapes
Personal cameras
Clearly Canadian
Hand Brakes (only 30% of new vehicles have them)
Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Ward, Kaufman’s, Lazarus
Landline phones
Compaq Desktop Computers
Skymall airplane magazine

Sohil, Jay and Anish, plus the big red headed guy, oh and Barry and Klint.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT