ADVERTISEMENT

Things that have gone extinct in your lifetime

Was watching an old Seinfeld episode where some psycho makes a gift for Elaine with an old TV guide and realized how popular and big that used to be, made me think of all the stuff that was hugely polpular that’s gone obsolete just in my short time around, feel free to add:

Sony Walkman
Pretty much any physical data like CDs or tapes
Personal cameras
Clearly Canadian
Hand Brakes (only 30% of new vehicles have them)
Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Ward, Kaufman’s, Lazarus
Landline phones
Compaq Desktop Computers
Skymall airplane magazine
Extinct and obsolete are two different things, which are you looking for?

Arcades are making a comeback...but not for kids. They have bars in them. Theres one in the distillery district in lexington and then theres the awesome 16 bit in cincy.
I heard there is one in Richmond, VA that is also a bar but it specializes in retro video games. I've never been because I basically never go to Richmond, have a friend that told me about it though. Sounds pretty sweet to me.

jtwalshslingblade.jpg

@BlueBallz

My mother had this and merthiolate in little glass bottles for my daily wounds. One was harmless but the other burned flesh like the flames of Hell. I still don't know which one it was but I vividly remember hiding cuts to avoid the medicinal russian roulette.

You got that right. I had a bad bike wreck once, and skint (skinned) myself up pretty bad. My mom put that shit all over me and it was WAY worse than the pain from the actual wreck. :scream:

Reactions: GhostVol
- Johnny West figures.
- Mattel Stallion bicycles.
- Dial-up modems. I still own a US Robotics hardware modem for occasional hacking and freaking. Eff the software modems. My last employer, Conexant Systems (later NXP after they purchased set-top box division for the IP), developed and perfected the Rockwell technology.
- Floppy drives. Still own a portable. Use about once every 3-4 years for data recovery of legacy apps.
- Punch cards. I remember accompanying my cousin during my freshman year, back when students rode horses to campus, as he turned in a big stack of cards to a sys admin through a window for some simple program.
- Packard Bell computers. What a huge piece of crap.

Tom Tom and Garmin. Just use your phone.
Might be getting my dad one of them GPS things for Christmas. Parents don't want smart phones, but my dad's sense of direction has gone to complete shit these days and his memory isn't getting much better.

Actually now that I think about it, maybe I should take over the driving duties on family trips even though he'll hate it...

- Smoking sections on airplanes
- Midnight gala buffets on cruise ships
- 12" video laser disc
- Gateway computers
- party lines
- Fresca
- Comair

Civil War vets - last Confederate drummer boy died when I was 6-7.
WW1 vets
WW2 vets - dam near
quarter glass or valence/wind window on pre-AC cars
car front bench seats (no more rubs/sticky fingers/bj's driving down the road)
turntables
coal furnances
incandescent lights on the way out
AM only radios
commercial railroad steam engines

Penrose hot sausages. The factory burned down and they discontinued all sales except the single pack Tijuana Mama's.

Kraft garlic cheese roll. It's what my Mom used in her holiday broccoli casserole. It was like Velveeta with a kick.

Hi-C green ECTO cooler. I used to make a panty dropper out of it by mixing it with everclear, kiwi,lemons,grapes and pineapple.

Civil War vets - last Confederate drummer boy died when I was 6-7.
WW1 vets
WW2 vets - dam near
quarter glass or valence/wind window on pre-AC cars
car front bench seats (no more rubs/sticky fingers/bj's driving down the road)
turntables
coal furnances
incandescent lights on the way out
AM only radios
commercial railroad steam engines
Gotta disagree with you on turntables. They're far from dead.

Reactions: 420grover
Gotta disagree with you on turntables. They're far from dead.

I think most of their continued usage is a fad. Who really wants to have a turntable, amp, a big pair of speakers, and ridiculously large discs to keep up with so you can play music? Now all you need is a phone and a Bluetooth speaker. Much more convenient and quality of sound is very good (some think vinyl sounds better, but I think it is more of just a preference) and it takes up almost no space.

Reactions: UK82
I think most of their continued usage is a fad. Who really wants to have a turntable, amp, a big pair of speakers, and ridiculously large discs to keep up with so you can play music? Now all you need is a phone and a Bluetooth speaker. Much more convenient and quality of sound is very good (some think vinyl sounds better, but I think it is more of just a preference) and it takes up almost no space.
Who? Me for one and there's still plenty out there. I don't think it's a fad. I may be old but it still sounds better to these old ears. I will say though that hi-res downloads are incredible. It's great to live in an age where we have so many choices. I'm taking advantage. LPs are still a bit of a niche market I'll give you that.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...yl-album-sales-nielsen-music-record-high-2017

Last edited:
Even Walmart sells records nowadays.

ADVERTISEMENT