ADVERTISEMENT

Things that have gone extinct in your lifetime

Who? Me for one and there's still plenty out there. I don't think it's a fad. I may be old but it still sounds better to these old ears. I will say though that hi-res downloads are incredible. It's great to live in an age where we have so many choices. I'm taking advantage. LPs are still a bit of a niche market I'll give you that.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/...yl-album-sales-nielsen-music-record-high-2017

My mom has a record player also and a handful of records for it. For me personally, it is just to much real estate in your home involved with record playing. My wife hates having a bunch of Blu-ray movie boxes on some shelves. Could you imagine having about 300 records and the space involved with them (you might have that many)?

I grew up listening to music at the time when 8 track tapes were being phased out and cassette tapes were first getting big. When I could afford to buy a bunch of music, cd's were taking off. I just personally prefer having everything digital. You can't go for a walk with your record player. You can take the quality of the records and convert them to digital, but I don't know how much of the analog sound you lose when it's compressed. Probably defeats the purpose of listening to record.

Reactions: UK82
As of 2 days ago...
th

Reactions: jameslee32
Not extinct but boxing and bowling have declined in the past decade. You hardly see those Hawaiin shaved ice carts set up anymore or at least like back in the 90s. Alot of public pools have shut down too, probably because of backyard pools and water parks. McDonald's shut down alot of their ball pits too. Skating rinks aren't as popular as they were in the 80s either.

Politicians, from all sides of the political spectrum, not taking into account the long-term, big picture. All they care about is being able to say they won without any apparent care for the ramifications of their actions, especially the long-term ramifications.

Reactions: JDHoss
When I was a child we had a man with a horse and cart ride down the street, and he would repair your pots and pans, sell rags, whatever. He was called a sheeny. Since then I saw the first man walk on the moon, I've seen the collapse of the Berlin wall. I've seen cavemen fly jumbo jets into sky scrappers killing thousands. I've seen western countries open up their borders to those same cave men who go on killing sprees to repay these acts of kindness. The thing that surprises me the most is I saw the last man to walk on the moon.

Reactions: Wall Knight Teague
cabooses
coal furnaces
hitchhiking
driving free of charge onto Daytona Beach
1 cent post cards, 2/3/5/10 too.

1. Being able to watch a CFB or NFL game in less than 3 hours.
2. Popular rock bands who actually can play instruments and write their own songs (I know there are a ton of bands who fit this bill but pretty much nothing that has been popular)
3. VCRs
4. Creativity in Hollywood - without reboots, superhero movies, continuing sagas, etc. would there be enough playing to fill up 24 theaters?
5. Creativity on TV - almost never watch network anymore; reality TV - ugh; rebooting Murphy Brown, Magnum PI, Hawaii 5-0, et al? Really? That's what we're supposed to watch?
6. Unbiased news reporting (both sides completely guilty) - maybe it was never unbiased but we didn't know that Walter Cronkite was biased at the time
7. Christmas cheer - I'm so over Xmas starting in October and, quite frankly, am so worn out by the continual barrage of all the stuff I'm supposed to buy that I would like to skip Xmas all together or, better yet, forgo presents and just get together with friends and family

1. Being able to watch a CFB or NFL game in less than 3 hours.
2. Popular rock bands who actually can play instruments and write their own songs (I know there are a ton of bands who fit this bill but pretty much nothing that has been popular)
3. VCRs
4. Creativity in Hollywood - without reboots, superhero movies, continuing sagas, etc. would there be enough playing to fill up 24 theaters?
5. Creativity on TV - almost never watch network anymore; reality TV - ugh; rebooting Murphy Brown, Magnum PI, Hawaii 5-0, et al? Really? That's what we're supposed to watch?
6. Unbiased news reporting (both sides completely guilty) - maybe it was never unbiased but we didn't know that Walter Cronkite was biased at the time
7. Christmas cheer - I'm so over Xmas starting in October and, quite frankly, am so worn out by the continual barrage of all the stuff I'm supposed to buy that I would like to skip Xmas all together or, better yet, forgo presents and just get together with friends and family
If you think there is no creativity on TV you should try watching something other than CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox.

Reactions: UK_Norm
Was watching an old Seinfeld episode where some psycho makes a gift for Elaine with an old TV guide and realized how popular and big that used to be, made me think of all the stuff that was hugely polpular that’s gone obsolete just in my short time around, feel free to add:

Sony Walkman
Pretty much any physical data like CDs or tapes
Personal cameras
Clearly Canadian
Hand Brakes (only 30% of new vehicles have them)
Sears, JC Penny, Montgomery Ward, Kaufman’s, Lazarus
Landline phones
Compaq Desktop Computers
Skymall airplane magazine
Nice list. Kodak film. 8 track tapes. Crude 4wd vehicles which became luxury SUV’s. As for handbrakes... A handbrake turn was a sure fire way to make a girl giggle. And well you know. That has not changed.

Reactions: GhostVol
Movie rental stores
Home phones
Terrestrial radio
Mainstream county music
Patriotism
Network TV worth watching (NBC on Thursday nights)
Board games
Yard darts
Cawood’s calls on the radio
Natural beauties like Cindy Crawford
Be home before the street lights come on
Riding dirt bikes with your friends
Hot wheels
Yes ma’am
Yes sir
Chores you better have done before dad gets home
Mopeds
BB guns
Slingshots
Ugly teachers
40 year job tenures
Catching fire flies
Playing pickup basketball/baseball at the local park
Respect for elders
Movie stars worth looking up to
Coal mining as a good, steady job
Mutt dogs
Newspapers
Nike Air Force Ones
Cat’s Pause magazine
Listening to the radio to hear when a recruit picks a school (Ron Mercer last one I recall)
Having a gun in your truck so you can go hunting after school
Waylon Jennings/Merle Haggard/Johnny Cash
Bootleggers
Police scanners
Cars with manual windows and no AC
Bag phones
Had to win to get a trophy
Changing your own oil
Little Kings/Schaefer Lite
Old Heaven Hill vodka (ugh)
MadDog 20/20 (also ugh)
$0.89/gallon gas
Stone washed jeans
Jeannie Napier...my high school crush
Member’s Only jackets
Hearing “Eddie Murphy Raw” on cassette tape
Mullets
Van Halen
Throwing water balloons on Halloween

I’m old

Mainstream country music is still incredibly popular, perhaps even moreso now.

Or do you mean the quality of mainstream country ? That I can agree with. Chris Stapleton and a small handful of others are the only decent “mainstream” artists

Phone booths, although we have one in my area. Does it work? Don't know. Paid around $700 for a VHS machine when they came out. Also had one of the 10' satellite dishes back in the day, finally gave it away to some guy that stopped one day and wanted to buy it. I gave it to him to get rid of it. Said he was going to make a solar oven out of it?

Vienna sausage cans with the key, and yes, I like Vienna sausage and crackers. Grew up with an antenna on the hill receiving WSAZ out of Huntington WV, cable rocks!!!

Reactions: JDHoss
HBO Boxing now extinct

Watching the very last HBO boxing production right now. Two women's fights sandwiched around a currently boring men's bout. It sounds like they are fighting in an arena in front of 50 people. Kind of sad, used to love watching boxing on HBO back in the day. I know UFC/MMA is the big thing these days, but I just never have been able to get into it like I was with boxing at one time.

Tanning salons. Seems like there used to be one on every block. Guess the chicks all got tanning beds at home now.

3 speed on the column

B B guns

Clancy's restaurant

3 wheel ATVs. Miracle I'm still alive

Circuses. Do those still exist?

Nice list. Kodak film. 8 track tapes. Crude 4wd vehicles which became luxury SUV’s. As for handbrakes... A handbrake turn was a sure fire way to make a girl giggle. And well you know. That has not changed.
We Tennessee ridgerunners call that a bootlegger’s turn. Hard as hell to do that with front wheel drive cars now!

We Tennessee ridgerunners call that a bootlegger’s turn. Hard as hell to do that with front wheel drive cars now!
Front and awd vehicles are popular here. It snows you know. And SUV’s are popular everywhere, but we live in a world where most can’t even drive a stick let alone handle the dynamic’s of driving a massively hp’d, rear wheel drive car at speed.

Watching the very last HBO boxing production right now. Two women's fights sandwiched around a currently boring men's bout. It sounds like they are fighting in an arena in front of 50 people. Kind of sad, used to love watching boxing on HBO back in the day. I know UFC/MMA is the big thing these days, but I just never have been able to get into it like I was with boxing at one time.
When I was growing up the Heavyweight Champion of the World was the most prominent and popular athlete in the world. Boxing was King. Only baseball was close. Boxing was the most exciting sporting event and I hate to see what happened to it.

The Tyson Fury/Deontay Wilder match was excellent.

Had me reminiscing of the good old days when you could just catch good fights flipping channels to late night HBO.

Not to completely change this thread into a boxing thread, but it was pretty sad to see HBO sign off last Saturday night with Jim Lampley and Roy Jones Jr choking back tears saying their goodbyes. Was also sad to see the once great HBO boxing coverage go out with such a whimper with that terrible card that they had to show. It's really crazy that as you get older, it is sometimes the random things that come to an end being the ones that can cause you to get a little emotional and I had not watched boxing on HBO in many years. Seeing that made me remember how much I loved to listen to Lampley, Merchant, Lederman back in the day. Hopefully, in a couple years of being away, they can make a comeback. Isn't that what boxing is all about?

There use to be after school cartoons. I believe G.I. Joe and Transformers were 2 that I watched when I got home from school. Now you have to have cable/satellite/streaming service to watch any.

Some of us Baby Boomers watched this stuff after school. Even as little kids we knew this wasn't the best, but there were only 3-4 channels.

Deputy Dawg
Quick Draw McGraw
Yogi Bear
Huckleberry Hound

ADVERTISEMENT