ADVERTISEMENT

These statements should settle, permanently, any debate about the GOAT.

It’s the political right thing to say but in regard of the two players to change the game it has to be Russell and Chambarlain. MJ never changed the game.
What? Do your have to changed the game to be the GOAT? Or do you just have to….I dunno….be really freaking good?

Don’t get how you translated to me thinking I know more .

Funny thing is this board calls ex NBA players idiots all the time for opinions on basketball related discussions .
I wasn’t calling you out. I was agreeing with what you were saying. Sorry if it came off the wrong way

Reactions: shaudyshaud
We're going to play two on two. I have Wilt, Russell or Kareem and Stephen Marbury. You have Jordan and Ewing. I'd win every time because center is more important. Ever watch the video of Dr. J playing Kareem one on one? Kareem toyed with him. Blocked everything he shot within 10 feet.

Gary Payton- "LeBron Is The Better All-Around Basketball Player... By Far."

Allen Iverson: “As much as I love Michael Jordan, like, dawg, man, LeBron James is the one, dawg. He the one, man. That mother f*****r is the one, man.”

Bill Laimbeer: “I’m very vocal. I think LeBron is the best player that’s every played the game.

Oscar Robertson: “Is Barkley trying to say that he thinks LeBron is not as good as Michael Jordan? Come on. LeBron’s in a class by himself.”

Isiah Thomas: “For me, I look at the total body of work, what LeBron James is as a basketball player, and if I had to pick one over the other, right now, I’m picking LeBron James over Michael Jordan.

Gilbert Arenas: “The reason I feel LeBron is the GOAT is because during pressure times he still makes the actual right decision versus what us fans and the public wants him to do.

Pippen: "The numbers don't lie, he is right there. He probably won't catch him in terms of MVP, but in terms of statistics, LeBron is right there and when you look across the board, not just scoring, check his assists, check his rebounds, he is probably ahead of Jordan."

Julius Erving: "LeBron, it won't be the same for him. So he can still be that complete player... He's a total machine. He's gonna be the guy. He's gonna be the guy who re-establishes the bar for what the GOAT is."

Shaq: "He’s got four rings, and he becomes the highest scorer in the NBA history. He’s the best ever. Ain’t nothing you can say,.... “He’d be No. 1″.

Hopefully you reply to this to eat some of your crow but I wont be holding my breath.
Lol, a fair few quotes but Isaiah Thomas? Lmao that guy wouldn’t piss on Michael to put him out if he was on fire.

If you take that white pointy hat off you might be able to see the basketball games better. Only Bird would be in the top 10. In his prime he could beat a team with Jordan on it. The others you mentioned are not in the top 30.
If you would take your pointy tin foil hat off you could see the poster was being facetious. He threw a line in the water and got a bite.

You know what they say about opinions.....

IMHO, MJ is probably the best ever, with Kareem 2nd and Lebron at 3.

Arguements can be made for any of those three, plus guys like Wilt, Bird and Russell.

I'm just glad I grew up during the time when the NBA was at its zenith; nothing will ever match the wars between my Celtic and the Lakers, or the Bulls and Pistons. You had great, not good but great, players all over the floor. Great players who played a team game. Nothing like the one on one, unwatchable, crap fest it's become now.

If you would take your pointy tin foil hat off you could see the poster was being facetious. He threw a line in the water and got a bite.
Oh plz, you take your pointy white hat off, im was more interested in his top five. You can only read words mind reader cough cough, idiot

Gary Payton- "LeBron Is The Better All-Around Basketball Player... By Far."

Allen Iverson: “As much as I love Michael Jordan, like, dawg, man, LeBron James is the one, dawg. He the one, man. That mother f*****r is the one, man.”

Bill Laimbeer: “I’m very vocal. I think LeBron is the best player that’s every played the game.

Oscar Robertson: “Is Barkley trying to say that he thinks LeBron is not as good as Michael Jordan? Come on. LeBron’s in a class by himself.”

Isiah Thomas: “For me, I look at the total body of work, what LeBron James is as a basketball player, and if I had to pick one over the other, right now, I’m picking LeBron James over Michael Jordan.

Gilbert Arenas: “The reason I feel LeBron is the GOAT is because during pressure times he still makes the actual right decision versus what us fans and the public wants him to do.

Pippen: "The numbers don't lie, he is right there. He probably won't catch him in terms of MVP, but in terms of statistics, LeBron is right there and when you look across the board, not just scoring, check his assists, check his rebounds, he is probably ahead of Jordan."

Julius Erving: "LeBron, it won't be the same for him. So he can still be that complete player... He's a total machine. He's gonna be the guy. He's gonna be the guy who re-establishes the bar for what the GOAT is."

Shaq: "He’s got four rings, and he becomes the highest scorer in the NBA history. He’s the best ever. Ain’t nothing you can say,.... “He’d be No. 1″.

Hopefully you reply to this to eat some of your crow but I wont be holding my breath.
A mic drop post if ever I've seen one.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigCat241
Thus. He’d rather whine to refs and be overly dramatic all the time. Jordon did his fair share of ref mouthing and could be dramatic but he would also play his butt off.
If LeBron had Jordan's killer instinct, he would have been #1 all time.

Sadly for LeBron fans, he doesn't.

Yeah, but there are also probably about equal players who have done it that prefer Lebron over MJ.
I don't think any of those statements came from players who played against Bill Russell. All from MJ's generation. For the same reason that Brady is the football GOAT, it's Bill Russell in NBA. Also, he got rebounds before shots were taken.

Does a prime-era Jordan lose two titles series when he has Wade, Bosh, and company as his running mates?

Because LeBron did.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Does a prime-era Jordan lose two titles series when he has Wade, Bosh, and company as his running mates?

Because LeBron did.
Maybe? Does Michael Jordan at any point of his career take a team with Larry Hughes as his 2nd best player to the finals?

Reactions: michaeluk26
I’m not 100% sure who the goat is. I’m 100% sure that it is not Lebron.

Both Wilt and Kareem, each for different reasons are in a class by themselves. Between the two of them, I can’t make up my mind on who is better.

Then there is Mike. Take Dr J, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson, and add an almost psychotic competitive spirit, and you get Mike.
For me, I think Mike is the Goat, but if someone says Wilt or Kareem, I’m going to say “maybe” because they both very well could be.
Wilt was a freak of nature. He may be the greatest athlete in any sport. He’s physically stronger than anyone who has ever played in the NBA. I’m not sure anyone was faster either. The NBA had to change rules because of Wilt because he could dunk his free throws easily.
Kareem had that sky hook, and was incredibly accurate with it, and that’s just one part of his resume.
You know why the NBA is not a big man’s league any more? Because guys like Wilt and Kareem don’t exist anymore. They both were different from each other, but there hasn’t been anyone like them since.

Jordan would've averaged 50 if he played today...no hand checks, illegal defense rules today.

Jordan had a season averaging 37 where he only attempted 1 three a game. Let's see James harden score that many with one 3

Reactions: J_Dee
Boston never reached an NBA final before Russell with all of the players they had before- strong argument could be made for Bill Russell as the GOAT !!
they had only been a franchise for 10 years.
56-57 year was red Auerbach 1st year as well
56=57 mvp bob cousy
56-57 rookie of the year tommy Heinzman [sp]
id say he was in a good sitiuation

He has the rings from a team sport but he isn't the GOAT.
11. Not 6 or 8. 11. There's a reason for that and it was someone greater than Havlicek, KC Jones, or the others. Rings Are the most important thing in a career. Russell is the goat in hoops just like Tom Brady is in football...and it pains me to say that since I was a Peuton Manning fan.

What about this? Larry Bird was the greatest offensive player of all time. Bill Russell was the greatest defensive player of all time. Michael Jordan was the greatest combined player of all time.

I'd still take one of the elite centers first if we were drafting a team.

You're all wrong. It's Kareem.

Won three ncaa titles, as well as three straight most outstanding player awards for the final four.

Ncaa literally said you couldn't dunk the basketball and made a rule just for him.

To which he then goes on to create the sky hook... a shot that was near automatic and was unblockable.

Won a NBA championship his rookie year with Milwaukee...

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar also holds the record for most All-Star Game selections and most All-Star Games played. He was selected 19 times and played in 18 All-Star games.

Reactions: SuporChin
jmho but i think lrbron is the best physical specimen to ever play and COULD have been even greater but lacks something.
that something is what jordan has in spades and to me that makes him the greatest.
also think it is disrespectful to jabbar to not metion him more in these conversations.
I never got to see Kareem play since I'm too young, but it's apparent not enough people give the guy enough credit. Dude was dominating the league by his second year. He has the most unstoppable shot in all of basketball. You'd be hard pressed to find a better player than prime Kareem. Dude was phenomenal. Like I said in my original post, he's in the argument but too many people are obsessed with the legend of MJ to even entertain the idea it could be anyone else.

It’s Jordan and nobody else is relatively close. Any other answer simply proves your ignorance.

GOAT - Jordan
Right there - Wilt/Kareem/Russel
Saved the game - Brid & Magic
Next Tier - Oscar, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron

• Haha
Reactions: Blue63Madison
Jordan would've averaged 50 if he played today...no hand checks, illegal defense rules today.

Jordan had a season averaging 37 where he only attempted 1 three a game. Let's see James harden score that many with one 3
No, that’s ignorant. Despite what you guys want to believe, defensive effort and game planning is much better on a consistent basis today than it is back then. Unless you are saying Jordan is on a terrible team where he gets to do what he wants, then maybe.

"Kevin Garnett: "He saved basketball when basketball was about to be lost. When we had addicts, when kids were coming to camp overweight. Who do you think started coming to camp fit, ready for day one? Who started it's?"

Betcha Bird and Magic showed up fit and ready to play.
And they were the ones who saved basketball.

Reactions: ruppcat
Such a laughable debate. A couple of arguments the youngsters always make that I like to poke holes in.

1) People love to discredit the ring argument because Russell has 11 and Horry 7, but a more valid argument is Finals MVPs! Jordan has 6 Rings but also was the Finals MVP of all 6.

2) Jordan never lost a playoff series as the higher seeded team, ever! Sure he had losses for years as he stayed in one place and climbed the mountain, but LeBron choked as the higher seeded team SEVERAL times. You can’t unchange that.

3) LeBron has the benefit of being the chaser instead of the chasee which allows him to chase stats that are different from Jordan, but they are just that: stats based on longetivity in an era of rules supporting easier offense.

4) LeBron is the whore of the NBA (with Durant trying to now usurp him here). He runs around the NBA (since 2010) building superteams (which also allows him to focus on stat-stuffing) uses up resources, burns it down, then runs somewhere else. Like it or not, people will always respect the one who takes their lashes and builds from the ground up over someone who throws themself desperately around the league (see Giannis vs KD) just to ring chase the real GOAT.

Anyone who watched both knows this argument is EASY between the two

Last edited:
It’s a start, so let me pick this apart.
1. Shaq is in both quotes so his point is moot. He says MJ up top then LJ down here.
2. Allen Iverson is also in both so he doesn’t count either.
3. Pippen hates MJ so that’s comical.
4. I’ll give you Dr J and Oscar, so you have 2
5. The other players you quote are NOT top tier players, you lose.
DR J has a grudge against MJ. Dr J was late in his career when MJ came on the scene and DR J stated that MJ did not treat him with the respect that he deserved.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Larry Bird: "I would never call him the best player I've ever seen if I wasn't serious."

Magic Johnson: "There's Michael Jordan, and then the rest of us."

Allen Iverson: "Mike is the GOAT, Mike will always be the GOAT."

Shaquille O'Neal: "The Last Dance only solidified the argument about who is the greatest player of all time"

Kevin Durant: "MJ is one of one, God level, incomparable, a pure master in this shit. I'm still watching his games to learn"

Charles Barkley: "He didn't just want to beat his opponents, he wanted to break them. Like I said, no disrespect to Kobe Bryant, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, LeBron James, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, the best thing I've ever seen is Michael Jordan and it was an honor and a privilege to play against him. He is the best player I have ever seen."

Dwyane Wade: "MJ was chosen to be the GOAT."

Jerry West: "He is the best basketball player, the best athlete I have ever seen in my life."

Kevin Garnett: "He saved basketball when basketball was about to be lost. When we had addicts, when kids were coming to camp overweight. Who do you think started coming to camp fit, ready for day one? Who started it's?

Dirk Nowitzki: "The Last Dance was excellent. I was a huge Bulls fan in the '90s. So many things I never knew or had forgotten! MJ is the GOAT."

Patrick Ewing: "LeBron is incredible, but he is not Michael Jordan"

Vince Carter: "I still have to give it to Michael Jordan. Kobe Bryant second."

Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon: "When people start comparing LeBron to Jordan, it's not a fair comparison. Jordan was a much more superior player in a tougher league. He was was very creative. That doesn't take anything away from LeBron because He's a great player, but it's not a fair comparison, Jordan is just so superior."

Stephon Marbury: "You really want to rank Jordan? Jordan shouldn't even be in a ranking. I don't know why they keep mentioning MJ's name in the same conversation. LeBron is great, but Jordan is not from this earth. He's just different.

Carmelo Anthony: "MJ is the GOAT. He is the best player of all time, and we all agree with that"
Ok

Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Reviewing the best of all time:

Are there any multiple champions who have never lost in the NBA Finals?

I think there is one. He won every series Final he appeared in.
Led the team every year and no doubt who the leader was.

Russell, Bird are the greatest Celtics and they lost.

Wilt averaging 50/game for an entire season sure makes it tougher. And averaging 48.5 minutes per game is unheard of also (all time leader in mpg). LeBron not even in the Top 20 of all time for ppg..
Wilt has the top 5 of 6 seasons.

Last edited:
Well the statements won’t settle anything . If you had someone other than MJ as your goat these statements aren’t going to all of a sudden make you change your mind .
Sarcastic Bill Burr GIF by Desus & Mero

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT