ADVERTISEMENT

These loses used to hurt

It’s crazy. He consistently recruits well enough to get us wins in the tournament. But I think the combination of missing out on the best of the best (and the one and done approach leaving us with a new roster every year) along with some “playing not to lose coaching”.,.and I wonder, as so did earlier in the year, if he can get us over the jump again. I don’t think so.
Great concise explanation of the current state of KY basketball.

In Cals 10 years he increased my immune system. They dont hurt any more. He has lost to inferior teams now on Numerous occasions. Wva U conn twice Wisconsin K state and now Auburn. I am tired of elite 8 final 4 crap. Finish the deal or change your model. Cal has been a huge disappointment
Inferior teams? It sounds like you equate superiority with recruiting stars....the great equalizer is experience. It's something UK rarely has enough of.

I used to be a raging UK fanatic....until the Wisconsin game. That really took something out of me. As it seems to have done for a lot of us. My expectations seem to have dropped. I'm afraid until some things change ( no I don't mean Cal leaving!), we won't get another title. The changes are a combination of things, not just one thing. I just don't get extremely upset like I used too. And as much as I try not to get too excited each year, when October rolls around, I'll be right there as excited as ever.

2015 Hurt. Since then, I’m just kinda numb. I went to the opening game in Des Moines in 2016. We had trouble putting whatever team that was away. I had watched IU in the previous game and was guessing that they would beat us (which they did).

It seems to me that Cal’s teams start tightening up on offense. Our offense hasn’t looked great in the tournament since 2012 IMO.

The frustration mostly stems from all the talent we get not being around long enough for us to reap the benefits. Considering what these other schools are doing, and how Cal is blowing them away in the record books, its obviously frustating knowing that a lot of thwsw guys wont be around when the proverbial light bulb goes off.

If everyone who could have would have returned for just one more season, theres no telling how many titles we'd have right now.

The frustration mostly stems from all the talent we get not being around long enough for us to reap the benefits. Considering what these other schools are doing, and how Cal is blowing them away in the record books, its obviously frustating knowing that a lot of thwsw guys wont be around when the proverbial light bulb goes off.

If everyone who could have would have returned for just one more season, theres no telling how many titles we'd have right now.
Yes if it were 2 and done we would have 4 or 5 more

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
Cal needed to let Bahamas Nick Richards play this whole season. Nick had the shortest leash of any player and he should have played yesterday. He could have blocked several of those drives to the basket and maybe things would have been different. Montgomery blocked one in the first half. Then he didn’t play again. Cal tightens up in big games and it clouds his thinking and judgment. His assistants are puppets. Reid has no business playing 38 minutes. Should have run some offense through the post to keep Auburn honest. Had a size advantage with Nick and EJ. Really tired of losing to inferior teams.

Reactions: PowerofPelphrey
In Cals 10 years he increased my immune system. They dont hurt any more. He has lost to inferior teams now on Numerous occasions. Wva U conn twice Wisconsin K state and now Auburn. I am tired of elite 8 final 4 crap. Finish the deal or change your model. Cal has been a huge disappointment
your longing for the BCG days I guess , do yourself a favor and find another team to cheer for how about that !

There is a reason those teams are there to meet us in E8’s and FF’s. They are playing great at the time. The stats don’t lie, we over achieve to our seed. Not what many of you believe because it doesn’t fit your narrative. Cal got the most out of this team as he does most years. We all make mistakes along the way and learn from them. CBB has changed, there are more good players and more parity. It makes it even harder to win and after the sweet 16 every game can end anyone’s season. It’s juat the reality of today.

They still hurt me.
I agree.. I am 49 years old been following UK for a long time. Still remember Lattner shot like it was yesterday.
That was a difficult loss especially with a Final Four trip on the line.
It still hurts I just don’t dwell on it as long as when I was younger.
The one and done has killed us college basketball fans basically having a new team each year.
I hope Herro comes back. He could have a crazy huge year but I am sure he won’t pass up nba if a first rounder.

Last edited:
Dont feel any different after sleeping on the loss yesterday. Not angry, just ambivalent. Until we change our strategy, we're going to be like those damned AT&T commericals every season...."Just good enough isn't good enough."

We will always be relevant with this strategy, but we're not building championship caliber rosters because we never see guys long enough to develop into a Tony Delk. Cal also has some stubborness he needs to address. At some point yesterday he needed to acknowledge Hagans' was hurting us and play Quickley. Now theres a very real chance IQ transfers out if Hagans returns. Not feeding the ball inside yesterday consistently....I mean what the hell. Thats strategy. Guys jacking up 3s, I just dont get it.

Interesting take. Do you realize Pitino lost to a lower seed 3 out of his last 4 years at UK? Despite having numerous pros who stayed multiple years. Do you realize Pitino only beat an equal or higher seed twice at UK in the NCAA tournament? You are full of shit.

Reactions: Cawood86
It still hurts.....but it does hurt less.

For me, it’s just the change of culture in college basketball. We get the type of players we rarely got in the past on a consistent basis now. That’s the plus. The negative is we don’t have them long enough for me to get that same emotional attachement like I had with Mashburn, Kenny Walker, Jeff Shepherd, etc. In the past, I would look at our roster today and pretty much know who was coming back, wonder how much they’d improve in the off season, etc. Now, I have to wait and see who goes pro......have to cross my fingers and hope we reload with late scholarships/Grad Transfers. It’s a combination of all of that for me.

There is a reason those teams are there to meet us in E8’s and FF’s. They are playing great at the time. The stats don’t lie, we over achieve to our seed. Not what many of you believe because it doesn’t fit your narrative. Cal got the most out of this team as he does most years. We all make mistakes along the way and learn from them. CBB has changed, there are more good players and more parity. It makes it even harder to win and after the sweet 16 every game can end anyone’s season. It’s juat the reality of today.
I think what most people are pissed off about is that we haven’t learned from our mistakes. We have a new team every year but end up playing the exact same type of game in the tournament that gets us beat by a team seeded lower than us. That ends up being a disappointment and not meeting expectations. When those two things happen time and time again, it starts to become a trend instead of a coincidence. People want to see some changes made in philosophy, not changes in leadership. A lot of us see that Cal is not willing to adapt to in game adjustments, watch film on the other team, or recruit to fill the needs of a specific system. That is what is aggravating and making a lot of us lose hope for another title in the Cal era.

Reactions: catben
I think what most people are pissed off about is that we haven’t learned from our mistakes. We have a new team every year but end up playing the exact same type of game in the tournament that gets us beat by a team seeded lower than us. That ends up being a disappointment and not meeting expectations. When those two things happen time and time again, it starts to become a trend instead of a coincidence. People want to see some changes made in philosophy, not changes in leadership. A lot of us see that Cal is not willing to adapt to in game adjustments, watch film on the other team, or recruit to fill the needs of a specific system. That is what is aggravating and making a lot of us lose hope for another title in the Cal era.
Of course our season ends on a bad game. That makes sense. I see Cal trying everything to find an advantage. He can’t overcome poor shooting and poor FT shooting at a bad time. It happens. Our weakness this year were experienced, fast guards. It happens a few times wary and we were starting to overcome it. Against AU we couldn’t. Our guys seemed a little tentative while AU was motivated by Chuma. They have been the best team in the tourney so far and we played them closer than anyone else and had a chance to win. I see no shame. Last year Nick and Quade weren’t what we thought so we just weren’t that good. Looking over the last 10, I will take that as the next 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: coachcombs57
The great and terrible thing at the same time about this tournament is the randomness of it. We're probably four plays away of having a Final Four consisting of Kentucky, Purdue, Gonzaga, and Duke. That's how much luck is involved in the results of these games. PJ puts in that put back at end of regulation yesterday, we're looking for tickets and hotels in Minneapolis this morning. On the flip side, we're a missed Tyler Herro three away vs Houston from not even being in the Elite 8. We're a PJ Washington defensive play on Corey Davis away from even the opportunity not coming up. If Fletcher Magee makes two shots that he normally makes during the season, our season ends in Jacksonville.

If we're being honest with ourselves, looking at the overall body of work, this team probably ended up where they should have....among the final 8 and good enough to be in the Final Four with a good bounce, but it didn't happen.

Consistently have made it further than any other program in the country since Cal has been here. Not entirely sure what you all expect. Or what exactly you would like Cal to change with his recruiting approach thats realistic.

If I’m honest the elite 8 exceeded my expectations. But losing to auburn without their best player is just inexcusable

Kansas State had one of their best players injured last season too.

We've pissed the bed two years in a row against hobbled teams that lacked any NBA guys while our team featured multiple lottery picks.

Was UK substantially better than WVU in 2010? Yes.

Was UK better than Wisconsin in 2015? Yes.

Was UK substantially better than Kansas State in 2018? Yes.

Was UK substantially better than Auburn in 2019? Yes.

You could make a case that 2011, 2014, 2016, and 2017 featured games against comparable talent, but we lost all of those games anyway.

To Cal's credit, he knocked off better teams in 2011 against Ohio State; 2014 against WSU and Wisconsin (Louisville and Michigan were a push).

Overall, however, and especially in recent years, when faced against teams of equal or slightly lesser talent, we aren't trending in the right direction.

We've pissed the bed two years in a row against hobbled teams that lacked any NBA guys while our team featured multiple lottery picks.

You could make a case that 2011, 2014, 2016, and 2017 featured games against comparable talent, but we lost all of those games anyway.

To Cal's credit, he knocked off better teams in 2011 against Ohio State; 2014 against WSU and Wisconsin (Louisville and Michigan were a push).

Overall, however, and especially in recent years, when faced against teams of equal or slightly lesser talent, we aren't trending in the right direction.
We also lost in 2011 and in 2014 to less talented U Conn teams as well

I think you left out a couple names, unless you think 2013 Robert Morris and 2016 IU were better than us.

Honestly, I think the title season and maybe the 2017 North Carolina loss (which is debatable, that game was basically a tossup) are probably the only Cal years where I thought our season didn't end against an inferior opponent we should've beaten.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I used to be raging mad when we lost. Especially in the Cal era. But the older I get, the more I realize that inexperience will wilt on the biggest of stages. The culture at the University of Kentucky must change for us to win another title. We must retain talent and leadership but I’m afraid that it will take a change of leadership to change the culture. For as great as Cal is in getting teams to come together, he can’t win the big ones. And it ultimately boils down to inexperience and poor bench coaching/ game preparation.

You can’t change the culture under Cal. It’s an uncontrollable beast now. We are the one and done school; and not even the premiere one that gets the cream of the crop anymore. But if your game is super flawed but you want to be off campus and in the pros even if it means you’ll be second round and bounce around the G-League, we are a great place.

Looking at how that 2018 Villanova team and 2017 UNC team looked made me pretty envious. You see talent like that stick around multiple years and you see guys like Grayson Allen stay four years at Duke and several other examples and you find yourself longing for that type of consistency combined with a couple of good freshmen.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
I think you left out a couple names, unless you think 2013 Robert Morris and 2016 IU were better than us.

Honestly, I think the title season and maybe the 2017 North Carolina loss (which is debatable, that game was basically a tossup) are the only years where I thought our season didn't end against an inferior opponent we should've beaten.

At @UK90 , you're one of our more thoughtful posters in my opinion. What do you think needs to happen to revamp the program going forward?

Honestly, I think the title season and maybe the 2017 North Carolina loss (which is debatable, that game was basically a tossup) are probably the only Cal years where I thought our season didn't end against an inferior opponent we should've beaten.
And yet we have still outperformed our seed more than any other team in the last decade so your logic is void. Those teams were there because they were playing great vs your opinion of inferior. The only one I will give you is Robert Morris. We just didn’t care. I can go back and argue almost every loss in our tour eh history was to someone we should have and could have beat. But the numbers don’t lie. Cal gets more out of his teams va expectation than anyone else. That is coaching and preparation- period.

Name one coach that hasn’t beginning with Rupp.

Why do we act like losing to an inferior team is something new? It happens many times every single year. It's why it's rare for 4 1 seeds to all make the Final Four or the best team to go undefeated. Variance is a real thing.

Name one coach that hasn’t beginning with Rupp.

I take it your position is that there is no need for analyzing possible methods of improving the program? Let's just fall back to the trench where everything is historically comparable, right?

"8 titles in UK's history" = we're right on the historical mark. Thus, no reason to analyze.

"Cal's won more this decade than anyone" = don't question the system by offering nuance for potential improvement.

"Cal's on par with Pitino and has exceed Hall and Smith" = there's nothing to scrutinize.

"Other teams would kill to have what we have" = whatever happens to UK in the tournament, even when losing multiple years in a row to inferior teams with injured starters, is just fine. There's no need to adjust the program.

Reactions: CalipariCapo
If you guys think rooting for UK in the Cal era is hurtful, you are so spoiled. Try rooting for the Reds and Bengals and get back to me. Rooting for UK is awesome. Always think we have a chance and most years we do.

I take it your position is that there is no need for analyzing possible methods of improving the program? Let's just fall back to the trench where everything is historically comparable, right?

"8 titles in UK's history" = we're right on the historical mark. Thus, no reason to analyze.

"Cal's won more this decade than anyone" = don't question the system by offering nuance for potential improvement.

"Cal's on par with Pitino and has exceed Hall and Smith" = there's nothing to scrutinize.

"Other teams would kill to have what we have" = whatever happens to UK in the tournament, even when losing multiple years in a row to inferior teams with injured starters, is just fine. There's no need to adjust the program.
I asked you a question. Name a coach that hasn’t done EXACTLY the same things Cal is apparently doing. Just one. The reason you didn’t answer the question is because there isn’t one. Not Coach K. Not Roy. Not Wright. Not Self. Also tell me when Cal has lost to a team like Mercer? Northern Iowa? Etc.?

UK has lost to inferior teams under Rupp in his later years, Joe b hall, sutton, pitino, tubby, etc. UK coaches have sucked at winning national titles since about 1960

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT