ADVERTISEMENT

There are a lot of arguments about the greatest NBA player ever.

Actually, a LOT of guys won more ships than Jordan. Do some research.

If you consider 9 players throughout the history of the NBA many a lot more, then sure.

And i love how people always try to say well Horry has 7, he must be the goat. It’s just hilarious.

To me and I've seen them all, it's Jabbar.
6 NBA Championships
3 NCAA Championships
NBA's all time leading scorer
Jabbar at his peak was unstoppable

I think this is also a great answer and tough to argue. He didn't have the physical prowess of wilt, but stats speak for themselves.

I think it is probably Jordan. But when someone talks about how important "winning" is, that argument has to go to Bill Russell.

He led San Francisco (!) to 2 NCAA Titles and then won 11 NBA titles, including 8 in a row. I realize those Celtics teams were great, but that is amazing.

Jordan got more breaks from the refs than anyone. Constantly pushing off to get free for shots and he took lots of shots. LeBron is roided up and when he retires and gets off the pills and juice he will look like Sammy Sosa. It’s Wilt and Jabbar is right behind him.

Era.

there should be a Goat for “past era” as well as “modern era”.
Bingo, check out Wilt's stats against Kareem head to head. Kareem dominated him. If Jordan had played in the era that Kareem did and vice versa Karrem would be talked about being the GOAT. Same could probably be said about Oscar Robertson. Jordan, Bird and Magic with the TV package put the NBA out front like never before.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
I think it is probably Jordan. But when someone talks about how important "winning" is, that argument has to go to Bill Russell.

He led San Francisco (!) to 2 NCAA Titles and then won 11 NBA titles, including 8 in a row. I realize those Celtics teams were great, but that is amazing.

He had another Hall of Famer in KC Jones with him both at San Francisco and with the Celtics. The Celtics had multiple Hall of Famers. Those Celtics teams were stacked like no other teams in NBA history. But he was the anchor of their defense, and the undisputed team MVP.

Last edited:
Bingo, check out Wilt's stats against Kareem head to head. Kareem dominated him. If Jordan had played in the era that Kareem did and vice versa Karrem would be talked about being the GOAT. Same could probably be said about Oscar Robertson. Jordan, Bird and Magic with the TV package put the NBA out front like never before.

Here are the Wilt versus Kareem head-to-head stats. It's actually pretty even when you consider that Wilt had revised his game with the Lakers, so that he didn't really focus on scoring. West was their primary scorer. Wilt was at the end of his career, and Kareem when right in his prime considering he was at UCLA for four years. Kareem only shot 46.3% against Wilt, and he was a 55.9% shooter for his career.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=ZkXGE

Wilt couldn't beat a great Bill Russell and the magical Celtics.
You just made an interesting point when you say “the magical Celtics” though. It’s the very reason you can’t use championship’s as the only gauge. Yes Russell was an all-time great, and if you want to put him ahead of Wilt, I totally understand. But to do so solely because on championships is ludicrous. Basketball is a team sport. On the 1960 Celtics ALONE for example, you had

Bob Cousy (HOF’er, 19 points, 9 assists)
Frank Ramsey (HOF’er, 15 points, 7 reb)
Tom Heinsohn (HOF’er, 21 points, 11 reb)
Sam Jones (HOF’er, 12 points, 5 reb)
Bill Sharman (HOF’er, 19 points, career 88% ft’s)

And of course Russell and other HOF’ers. That team was preposterous. Wilt had some good teams, but not like that. Winning should be a factor but not THE deciding factor.

It’s fun to see these old highlights. You actually get a shot of Shaq and Wilt standing on the court together, and then late in the video watch Wilt block skyhook after skyhook of a young Kareem. Listen for the Larry Brown story with a 43 year old Wilt teaming up with four of his UCLA freshman, playing against Magic and several Lakers players in the summer. Fun stuff. Wilt was definitely a freak!

Keith Jackson calling the game!

Reactions: kmohawk
It’s fun to see these old highlights. You actually get a shot of Shaq and Wilt standing on the court together, and then late in the video watch Wilt block skyhook after skyhook of a young Kareem. Listen for the Larry Brown story with a 43 year old Wilt teaming up with four of his UCLA freshman, playing against Magic and several Lakers players in the summer. Fun stuff. Wilt was definitely a freak!

He was taking Kareem to school!

Most discussions center around Jordan, Lebron and Kobe but I am curious why there is no love for Wilt Chamberlain? I was just looking at his stats and in the history of the NBA there has been 74 times that a player scored 60+ points in a game. Of those 74 times Chamberlain did it 32 of them. As a comparison Kobe had 6, Jordan 5, Elgin Baylor and James Hardin 4 and Lebron James 1.

He not only was a scoring machine but holds countless rebounding records that will never be broken. He once rebounded 55 in a game. He average 25+ for the season on 3 different occasions. He also led the league in rebounding 11 seasons which is the record. They didn't keep blocked shot stats for his entire career but the 112 games he played in, once they started keeping the stats, he average 8.8 blocks per game. Keep in mind this was near the end of his career. As a comparison the NBA all time leader is Mark Eaton at 3.5 per game. Due to the limited number of games and blocks Chamberlain isn't in the list.

The dude was unstoppable and yet nobody talks about him. Just scroll through his records in the link below and look at the ones he still holds and some will never be broken. Is it just because of his size advantage that people discount what he was able to do?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_career_achievements_by_Wilt_Chamberlain#NBA_rebounding_records

I posted my top 5 the other day and I totally agree with you!

1 MJ
2 Kobe
3 Wilt
4 Bird
5 Magic

* Pistol Pete, was a great but didn’t have any Championships! If he did he would of been in Magic’s place!

just my opinion and I’m sticking to it!!

Size and era.

When people start trying to compare cross era/style of play, I think most believe his numbers wouldn’t have been nowhere near that.

For example, put AD or Giannis or even Embid (hate the guy) in that era and they are freak anomalies as well and likely have exaggerated stat lines compared to what they typically post today
I think this explains it very well. Not only that, but as Magic said---"What separated MIchael,was how good he was on the defensive side of the ball."

Wilt was named all defensive 2 times....Jordan did so 9X's....Including being named DPOY in 1988..

Reactions: HagginHall1999
Wilt would have dominated him.He was taller ,stronger,quicker better condtioned,and better jumper. He also was more skilled
I have a hard time believing any big guy would have dominated Shaq. Dude was huge. He had every bit if 50lbs on Wilt. ...And no WIlt wasn't taller----both were 7'1". Stronger? I dunno. Shaq stood 7'1", 320. Wilt was 7'1", 270. Quicker probably. But make no mistake, Shaq was athletic as **** for a dude his size.

Wilt would have dominated him.He was taller ,stronger,quicker better condtioned,and better jumper. He also was more skilled
Not a chance he was stronger. 265 vs 325 and just look at their bodies. Wilt dominated because there was no one his size back then. Shaq would have broken him.

All I know is if the game was on the line and I needed a basket im taking Jordan. If my life was on the line I'd take Larry Bird. Forget where I heard that.

But it's to hard comparing different era's. I just appreciate greatness.

Jordan was undeniably great. One factor no one talks about is how marketing started taking off with Nike at the same time. That also undeniably benefits his legacy from a exposure standpoint.
Absolutely. And he had complete say in what went into The Last Dance. Jordan was the first real sports figure to be marketed like he was. He had massive exposure through all kinds of things like McDonald's, Nike, and way more endorsements.

Not saying Michael wasn't the GOAT. Just saying he had a lot of propaganda working in his favor.

So do you think the stats of a man in his prime compared to one 11 years older and near the end of his career in a head to head match-up are relative?

Don't need to. I have seen plenty of highlights.

Great player, absolutely. Greatest of All Time- nope.

Michael Jordan is the greatest single athlete in the history of sport. If Krause didn't pull Bulls apart and he hadn't retired they win 10 titles in a row in modern era....minimum 8 if he hadn't walked away.

It is about more than just stats my friend.
You are giving a ton of credit based on team mates. Why didn't Jordan just keep winning titles for who ever would have him? Does Robert Horry belong high on the GOAT list?

Just totally false. It’s false to suggest that Russell played on stacked teams throughout his career while Wilt was stuck playing with bums.

Not a great rebounder? Russell averaged 22 for his career, and 25 in the playoffs. I want some of what you’re smoking if that’s not a great rebounder.

The reason why Russell’s team consistently won, and Wilt’s teams consistently came up short can be found in the 2 men’s mentality. Russell only cared about what was best for the Celtics, what out his team over the top. Wilt cared about his stats and what put him in the best light. The team was secondary to his personal ambitions.
You managed to come up with an even more unreasonable assertion than the one you are calling out.

You are giving a ton of credit based on team mates. Why didn't Jordan just keep winning titles for who ever would have him? Does Robert Horry belong high on the GOAT list?

Robert Horry was a role player on some great teams. I don't think he should be on the GOAT list but if you do, by all means, include him on yours.

Jordan was the best player in the league on the best team ever assembled. He walked away from the game in his prime for two seasons (essentially).

If you don't agree that is fine, Wilt was a great player, I am sure...probably the best center ever but he is not the best player of all time, jmho.

I've gone through my reasoning in this thread so won't do it again- so we can just agree to disagree if necessary.

Stronger...lmao. Shaq ripped down entire basketball goal systems... collapsed.

They were roughly the same height and when Shaq was in his prime he ran the floor like a gazelle.

These Paul Bunyan stories of Wilt are priceless. Someone said he bench pressed 500 pounds earlier in this thread...hilarious stuff, to go along with his 50 inch vertical, ok.

Wilt was probably more skilled but the domination thing is a bit much...

Reactions: Blue_2_the_bone
Robert Horry was a role player on some great teams. I don't think he should be on the GOAT list but if you do, by all means, include him on yours.

Jordan was the best player in the league on the best team ever assembled. He walked away from the game in his prime for two seasons (essentially).

If you don't agree that is fine, Wilt was a great player, I am sure...probably the best center ever but he is not the best player of all time, jmho.

I've gone through my reasoning in this thread so won't do it again- so we can just agree to disagree if necessary.
I was just pointing out that titles are not the final say in any argument as many wish to assert.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
I think the numbers actually hurt Wilt's legacy.

Think about it. You posted the scoring and rebounds and blocks and all that. They lap the field. Any great modern accomplishment gets put alongside Wilt's numbers and is instantly dwarfed, right?

So ask yourself, what are the odds? Was there really a guy who was a 60% more dominant scorer than Jordan or Harden, 100% more dominant rebounder and shot blocker than Shaq, and he just happened to play 60 years ago?

And no one since him has come close to any of those feats, despite every aspect of training, nutrition, access to the game, global population, coaching, etc improving twenty-fold since then? Why? Of all the freaks we've seen grace the court, he was *that* much better than every single one of them?

It's just not logical. He was an all time great talent, an all time great player, an all time great athlete, who was 40 years ahead of his time. That, and he became a bit of a numbers-chasing sideshow in an era where that was profitable and no one cared to stop him.

Not to mention most of his competition were grocery store clerks or auto mechanics who played basketball on the side.

Reactions: GonzoCat90
Wilt was an insane athlete that would have athletically dominated in any era. Maybe he wouldn’t have dominated as much as he did but the dude is a top 5 player IMO.

True, and it brings up a really good point. Most of the time when people talk about this, they are only thinking of the offensive end of the court. I love Magic and Larry, but as great as they were, it was all about offense. Don’t get me wrong, with their smarts and competitive nature, neither was a bad defender, and in fact both played really good team defense, which is about smarts and effort as it is anything. But neither was Jordan on D - he could demoralize an opponent on either end of the floor. Kobe was similar in that regard. Most of the all time greats were not.

Jordan would tell someone he was going to steal the ball from them, then do it, then tell them he was going to go down the court and score on them, and then do it. He talked trash and backed it up again and again.

It is Jordan for God's sake and it isn't even an argument.
Jordan played under a different set of rules than everyone else. He was the cash cow of endorsements and protected by the league. He was taken apart by the physicality of the Pistons early in his career. Without the generous advantages given to him, he would have been a good player, but not even in the discussion as GOAT.

Jordan played under a different set of rules than everyone else. He was the cash cow of endorsements and protected by the league. He was taken apart by the physicality of the Pistons early in his career. Without the generous advantages given to him, he would have been a good player, but not even in the discussion as GOAT.
Also I didn't see it pointed out, but people like to say he would've won 8+ in a row, if not for the baseball stint. Are we just going to gloss over the fact that his first year back Houston won it all?
He was fresh and had already played a lot of regular season games, but they weren't good enough to get it done, until the next year when they brought in a 3rd hofer in Rodman.

They’ll never be another Jordan. His willingness to work, evolve, learn, and unequivocal desire to win championships sets him apart along with his unmatched athletic abilities.

Jordan benefited the new modern era of NBA marketing and international visibility. It was Bird and Magic that created this new era of marketing, but it was Jordan’s arrival that sent it to an entirely new level that it is even today with the arrival of social media.

Speaking of social media, could you imagine Jordan doing some of those iconic dunks and clutch shots today with Tick Tock, FB, and Twitter. How viral would his dunk at UNC cradling it before flushing it thru?

As a sport fan, I’m fortunate to have witnessed Jordan during my childhood. My whole neighborhood was UK fans for the most part. But when Jordan’s UNC team took the floor, it didn’t matter we were in some sort of neighborhood pick up ball 3-on-3 tourney on a low-rim. Our games stopped, and everyone of us crowded into the closest kid’s living room to watch him play. Great memories.

Lol, ok

Also I didn't see it pointed out, but people like to say he would've won 8+ in a row, if not for the baseball stint. Are we just going to gloss over the fact that his first year back Houston won it all?
He was fresh and had already played a lot of regular season games, but they weren't good enough to get it done, until the next year when they brought in a 3rd hofer in Rodman.

His first season back he played 7 games before the playoffs. They then lost to the Magic in ECF iirc.

That was after he sat out for almost 2 full seasons. This was the repeat season for the Rockets.

The Rockets won vs Knicks in 94 and Magic in 95.

Jordan's first season back they started their second 3peat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT